Starting vaping for pain and PTSD

Indigo

There is a thread here on fc regarding cbd products available in the uk. Have a search and it should come up.

You can't search for such short words in this forum. You sound like you'd be able to find it without too much trouble, and I'm really not up to reading an entire forum hunting for something when I don't even know what the thread title is. I'm visually impaired and have cognitive dysfunction. Would you be able to have a look for me, and give me a link if you find it?

Indigo,

Mirimi

You can't search for such short words in this forum. You sound like you'd be able to find it without too much trouble, and I'm really not up to reading an entire forum hunting for something when I don't even know what the thread title is. I'm visually impaired and have cognitive dysfunction. Would you be able to have a look for me, and give me a link if you find it?

Here are some links of topics about CBD oil:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/cbd-question.17544/
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/uk-cbd-concentrate-myth.20287/
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/cbd-shatter-wax-70-cbd-uk.18662/
I've never tried it, but you have to be careful, because of the legal gray area some suppliers sell oil from industrial hemp and it might not be great for consumption. So if you have a doubt, there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum.

About topical lotions:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/diy-cannabis-lotion.19760/
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/pain-relief-abv-massage-oil.13588/

Hope it helps!

Indigo

Thanks. I have been looking around for CDB products in the UK, and they all seem dodgy beyond belief. If you look on Amazon, for instance, you find products being sold by companies with no contact details and with multiple fake reviews (best one so far: "it tastes like prunes 5*" - yeah, if I wanted nothing more than the taste of prunes, I'd buy prunes). They also seem so expensive that as far as I can tell, with a good extraction system for making edibles, it'll be far cheaper to buy weed. I am waiting for my friend to be free to talk about their suppliers and whether we can find me an indica or something along those lines. I know it's harder to find decent medical-grade stuff where you actually know what you're getting, but I'm in a city, for heaven's sake, it must be around somewhere.

P.S. Sloths!!!

Last edited:

sativasam

NO SMOKING
Hi @Indigo you can go through my thread to check for anything useful http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/uk-cbd-concentrate-myth.20287/

The CBD oil I tried is this https://www.cbdoilsuk.com/product/love-hemp-800mg-7-10ml/ Its very relaxing. Was very impressed with the effects. Company had all papers to prove thier product is clean. Pricey though. Not sure it would be enough for pain but then again I didn't use it for pain.

The strongest and cleanest product on the market from what I understand is the 99% pure CBD crystals. Endoca seem to be the biggest distributer for this in the EU and as such the cheapest available price (which isn't cheap at all).

I have been impressed by the the CBD products I have tried so far. The hemp products do work and there are some legit companies, but basically near all are getting there stuff from the same sources and repackaging it. It's so overpriced for what it is.

I find my ABV coconut oil is a good high CBD product. Is great when I'm sick with a cold or need to sleep.

Indigo

So are you saying you get enough CBD from your own herb supply, without needing to buy the frighteningly expensive commercial stuff?

Indigo,

sativasam

NO SMOKING
So are you saying you get enough CBD from your own herb supply, without needing to buy the frighteningly expensive commercial stuff?
I'm not sure I understand your question entirely.

I almost exclusively vape Lemon Haze (weed) and Caramello (hash). I save the ABV from this and make Cannabis infused coconut oil. As I have vaped most the THC from my weed the active ingredients in the ABV oil are mainly CBDs.

If I understand you correctly you are asking if the amount of CBD rich oil I get from my vaped weed is enough that I don't need to buy expensive legal CBD products. That would be the case as I have about an ounce of ABV stored and have barely got through my first batch of oil.

But the effect from my ABV oil is more full bodied than the legal CBD hemp products. I get seeerious munchies from my ABV oil and often sleepy. And although the THC in my ABV oil is minimal I would guess there is still some THC left. In comparison legal hemp CBD products do not give you munchies and such effects associated with being stoned.

little maggie

Just a comment about strains- Leafly.com- describes which strains work best for pain, PTSD etc. Even if you can't get all of those where you live you might find some of them. I don't understand why you're "wobbly". A different strain might not have that impact.
As for the solo- I have quite a few vaporizers including the solo and air. I use water with all of them or I will choke. Have you looked at the list of distributers associated with this board? I'm pretty use there are a couple from England that sell vaporizers.

Instead of CBD oil, weed is not too expensive why not get a high CBD strain?

Last edited:

HomeFree

I have PTSD as well and find hybrid strains to work best. Every once in a while I will get a panic attack from some cannabis, but fortunately it only lasts 15-20 minutes and does not give me any flashbacks and only happens once a year or so. The 1:1 strains work okay for me, but I prefer regular flowers bred for THC.

From killing the pain to helping with lingering PTSD symptoms cannabis has been good to me. Most people probably recommend indica strains. I get depressed with my PTSD so I generally stay away from straight indica strains.

What kind of pain do you have?

I use a Solo at 2-4 lights. Maybe up to 5 through water but 4 is generally plenty for me. I'm not sure if you are familiar with any totally natural methods of dealing with panic attacks but it is worth looking into and very helpful. The times I have had panic attack when vaping were when I went up to 5 lights and got giant pulls. I have slowly ramped up a load and that is not as bad, but sometimes it can make me want to go to sleep since I am getting a full load at once.

If you are getting wobbly you might be feeling dissociated due to anxiety. I get like that when not under the influence of cannabis (but that's not why, just got triggered) pretty frequently when having panic attacks, to the point of not being able to walk straight and the harder I try to walk straight the worse I walk. It is a symptom of a panic attack for me. I go for a walk somewhere quiet if I get like that and it seems to help.

Oh yeah, decarb does smell pretty damn strong, LOL. :) I will see tracers if I am having a panic attack. Also in low light situations. But if I am relaxed I won't see them. For pain at night I would look to a very long lasting strain unless it makes you feel intoxicated the next morning. It will take trial and error.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Strains that are high in the terpene limonene are suppose to help to boost mood. That would be the citrus type cannabis favors. Lemon Haze, Jack Herer sativas. Only if you can handle sativa strains.

fernand

@Indigo one detail. Pure CBD was being tested, I don't remember the study but if you need it I can find it. What they noticed was that there was a peculiar J-shaped dose/response curve. Once past a certain amount, the desired CBD effect DECREASED with rising dose. With even small amounts of THC present a normal dose/response returns. They called that the "entourage effect". This is why there are so many popular strains that are high in CBD but not overwhelmingly so.

In Calif dispensaries where they post the analyticals, we see ratios like 25:1 with the AC/DC strain. They breed that down to make a Harlequin strain that's more like 10:1. That's still enough CBD for a couple puffs to e.g. reverse an unpleasant THC o.d.

hibeam

alpha +
@CarolKing mentioned checking vitamin D levels, but I see no further mention of it here. I know of more than a few people who eliminated anxiety attacks with D3 supplements. Also, I had very good luck with theanine, arginine, kava kava, and valerian for staying asleep, different substances on different nights. I know chronic migraine and arthritis pain first hand. It was a huge shock to find out I have a genetic disorder that requires D3 supplementation and whatever help I can find breaking down catecholamines. Foods naturally high in glutamic acid, like beans and tomatoes, make my mind race really bad at night. Oh, oh one other realllllllly important detail, I have attributed some of my GAD to needing probiotics. The reuterii strain particularly helps me but every gut is different!

Last edited:

Indigo

Goodness, so many comments! Thank you all.

To whoever mentioned Vitamin D levels, yep, mine were found to be low years ago. The GP put me on Adcal D3, which combines an inadequate dosage of D3 with calcium carbonate, which wrecks your stomach acid while also being a crap form of calcium. It raised my Vitamin D levels from "deficient" to "insufficient". I now buy a higher dose of (vegan) D3 and separate calcium citrate, and that did the trick. I'm on a wide assortment of vitamins and minerals, including prescribed iron as the hypochlorydia caused by my mast cell meds makes me absorb minerals poorly and left me with anaemia and Restless Leg Syndrome, and very high doses of B12 ("oh," the GP said after I'd been buying that for a few years, "your B12 is normal now!" Thanks for not telling me when it was deficient, or bothering to treat it!).

Wobbliness - I'm talking about my vision going funny, feeling dizzy, trouble walking in a straight line. Physical effects rather than psychological. Does that make more sense? I'm not great in either respect to begin with. We made it out briefly to a shop across the road the other day, after a gruelling few weeks which have caused an ME flare, and I kept finding I was grabbing onto walls as I went down the stairs and out. The walls were not necessarily where I expected them to be. ME affects vision, both the muscular and neurological sides of it, and also balance.

Pain - fibro pain, largely. It's made worse by massage, annoyingly. The principle hotspot is in my left hip/gluteal area, with a secondary one in my left shoulder, and they often refer all over the place. I've had pain shooting down into my left toes and up into the left side of my nose! I do have other types of pain going on, just for the fun of it. I'm having quite a nippy headache today, the tendons in my forearms have been protesting that I've overused my hands, and there are ongoing pelvic pain issues.

My friend who vapes finally popped round yesterday, and after a good catch-up and much admiring of the cat's silly antics, we talked weed. They have 3.5g of weed they can sell me, hopefully this weekend, and they will come round and help me cook it into coconut oil, using lecithin and alternating freezing and cooking and so forth. Right now it's just what they have available, fairly high THC they reckon, but we may as well try it, and they're going to ask around about something with more indica in it, though they reckon it'll be difficult. If I turn out not to get on with it and have leftover oil, they'll buy that off me, as they are interested in trying it. Apparently repeating the alternating heating and freezing process a few times makes it "sleepier", so we'll see how that works out.

Any tips?

grokit

well-worn member
@Indigo the wobbliness sounds a bit like vertigo but I really don't know much about it. The pain from massage seems a bit weird, like maybe you have built up toxins in your tissues and the massage is releasing them into your system. If that's the case maybe supplements like liver support or antioxidants would help.

For tips with the coconut oil there are many threads here on cooking it up for potency, good luck :tup:

grokit,
Reactions: Indigo

Mirimi

I had this kind of "wobbliness" because of my prescription meds. Lyrica in particular. In association with tricyclics it's worse. And when I overdo it with MJ it's even worse. So you might want to check your dosage in medication. I know how hard it is when you're in pain and just trying to get better. Good luck!

Mirimi,
Reactions: Indigo

Indigo

Interesting point about meds. Here's what I'm on every day:

Cetirizine (antihistamine)
Alimemazine (antihistamine)
Omeprazole (PPI)
Ranitidine (H2 blocker)
Vitamin D
Ferrous sulphate (iron)
Ivabradine (treats tachycardia caused by dysautonomia)

The mast cell disorder and the dysautonomia are the main things they're treating here, and dysautonomia causes people to be wobbly as hell. Dodgy blood pressure, that sort of thing. Did I mention that I'm bedbound about 23 hours of the day?

Anyway, there has been a slight change of plan! A lovely chap from CBD brothers is sending me some samples of CBD oil in various forms, including an oil, possibly a paste, and capsules. He recommends using the capsules as suppositories for faster pain relief and to avoid getting stoned. Does anyone know more about this, and in particular whether you get the same result using them vaginally instead of rectally?

So I'll give that a good try first, and meanwhile my friend is going to have a chat to their grocer and see if they can source something a bit more appropriate to my needs.

Indigo

By the way, being unable to tolerate massage is a known feature of fibromyalgia. I only wish I'd figured it out earlier, my lovely massage therapist was trying every technique she could think of for some time, and then I finally looked at my book on trigger point therapy and there it was, right in the introduction. "Toxins" aren't really a thing. It's a pity, I really enjoyed massage when I was able to handle it.

Indigo

Meanwhile, a kind person has supplied me with some suppositories! They are marked: "Ratio - 1:1 @25mg with organic cocoa butter", and the other set are 50mg. I'm guessing that's THC:CBD, and they were being careful with labelling as they were going through the post. Any advice about dosage? How long should I give it before trying another, if the first doesn't work? My friend who helped me out with trying vaping last year said I got affected at a relatively low dose, though that was things like my vision going wobbly. When we first tried smoking it, the other two were pleasantly mellow, and I was sitting there looking around and saying, "Hmm, my visual tracking is off." I don't really seem to be one for getting off my face! I've never been drunk, alcohol never appealed, and while some meds work on anxiety for me and I can end up dizzy, wobbling about and not able to think all that clearly (heavy duty pain meds are a bloody nuisance), I still don't really get stoned. I'm short of sleep and in pain today, so it's a good time for trying things.

Indigo,
Reactions: grokit

MediPuff

@Indigo

I read this entire thread and I'm glad you finally posted your meds. I couldn't help sooner because I'm new here. I just discovered FC about a day or two ago.

I think a big part of your problem when vaping is a drug interaction. That Ivabradine you're taking for tachycardia probably lowers your blood pressure as well as your heart rate. So does cannabis. I've measured mine before and after vaping and the drop can be significant.

My BP often gets into the low borderline range, but if I took BP meds, they would interact with other meds I'm on. After I vape, my BP drops to well within the normal range, so we're talking about a drop of 20+ points. Cannabis can also drop your heart rate by at least 5-10 bpm, which is what the Ivabradine likely does for you.

So, you likely lowered your heart rate and BP about that much vaping cannabis in conjunction with taking a pharmaceutical designed to do that and that's probably why you got "wobbly." You were hypotensive and brachycardic. Honestly, it's a wonder you didn't faint. Good thing you don't live alone like me.

This could become dangerous if you don't know what strain you're using because you have no way of knowing how much THC or other constituents are in it, much less how they affect you, which is still a case of trial and error for all of us at the best of times. Considering that cannabis is still illegal in your country, you're in a tight spot experimenting with unknowns while on a med that lowers your heart rate. Personally, I wouldn't do it if I didn't know what strain I was buying because if something goes wrong when you're not doing this legally (I'm not either) there can be serious legal consequences as well as medical ones.

When cannabis is illegal and doctors refuse to work with us to benefit from the wonderful natural healing abilities it has to offer, this is an example of the risk we can end up in.

In any case, how you proceed from here (if you're still willing to), depends on taking things slow and exercising a great deal of caution.

First, you need to find out what your heart rate and BP are before and after you vape. The same with taking your Ivabradine, independent of cannabis in any form. If you don't have a blood pressure monitor, it's a very good time to get one. It doesn't have to be an expensive one, but opt for one that goes on your upper arm instead of your wrist. They're more accurate. If the higher number (systolic) drops below 95, it's getting too low. You don't want the lower number (diastolic) below 65. This is all things considered, all meds and cannabis on board because when you get below these numbers, you start to run the risk that your heart could stop. So if you take into account what each does independently and add together the effect each has on your normal resting BP and, if it could potentially put your BP below 95/65, it's not a good idea to keep using cannabis at the same time you're on the Ivabradine.

You may do better with CBD, but be careful because it definitely lowers BP and heart rate. You don't want to use high doses or ingest anything made from a strain with a high percentage (over 10%) so you can have more control by how much you use (when it comes to medibles, divide portions...have half or a quarter of a brownie, for example). Keep track of your heart rate and BP, checking them as you go.

Remember that the full effects of edible cannabis take 2-4 hrs to start to take effect, so you need to wait at least 3-4 hrs before judging how it affects you to determine if you've taken enough. Never take more until you've experienced those effects with no change for at least one hour. The benefit of CBD here is that it's not psychoactive, so you will be more aware and more in control of what you're doing.

Set an alarm while testing in case you doze off. I know people say CBD doesn't make them sleepy, but that's never been an issue for me because I get better pain relief from it. I'm not sure how long it takes me to fall asleep because I often wake up on the couch 6-8 hrs later (I need to get to bed faster). I have a good strategy with it that makes me sleep that long. Mind you, it isn't effective at relieving pain for everyone.

I would never advise you to stop taking the Ivabradine. This is the prerogative of your doctor and Tachycardia is a serious medical condition. I just hope your doctor knows if there is something causing it and also working on that rather than just treating a symptom of a bigger problem.

In my experience, antihistamines don't typically interact with cannabis, so no issue there. However, do not take a decongestant such as pseudophedrine (this can be in OTC sinus, cold, and allergy meds). That will raise your heart rate and counteract the Ivabradine. If you've been taking anything with pseudophedrine in it since before your doctor prescribed the Ivabradine, it may be the cause of your tachycardia. If you find this is the case, you should report this to your doctor ASAP (don't stop taking either without his help). Also, if your doctor has never checked your thyroid levels, please have him do so. That can be linked to heart rate issues too.

I have fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis. I use a combo of vaping and medible to sleep for 6-8 hrs. The vaping takes care of getting to sleep and the medible helps me stay asleep longer. I'm never dizzy or unsteady after medicating with cannabis, just sleepy and relaxed. In both cases, I'm using CBD strains (10-20%). Regardless of strain, I've heard that a lot of chronic pain and insomnia patients use this combination of vaping and medibles to get a full night's sleep because vaping works immediately, but short term (2-4 hrs), and medibles take time (2+ hrs) to get through your digestive system before they start to work and keep working up to 8 hrs after initial consumption.

I've only used the oral route, so I can't advise you about suppositories. As for pelvic pain, I don't know your age or if you are pre, peri, or post-menopausal, but I'm fairly knowledgeable about GYN stuff, so, if you have concerns there, feel free to send me a message.

Please do not use concentrates, especially shatter. I really feel this is inadvisable in your case. The THC levels in these are too high to use while taking a medication that lowers your heart rate.

As for Lyrica, last year, I read about other fibro patients online who've taken it long term. Most didn't get much (if any) relief from it, they struggled to get off it, and they gained a lot of weight. You mentioned that's already an issue for you, so I was glad when you opted against it...you dodged a bullet.

I think you have good instincts about these things so always trust them no matter what anyone else tells you, including me. They will serve you well. We don't know your whole situation. You do, so listen to your inner voice. And remember, you don't have to justify anything to anyone. It's your life and your health.

When vaping wasn't working for you and nothing you knew to do was helping, you took a break and that was the right thing to do. Now you know more and what to watch for if you want to try again. But if you don't or it's still not working, don't push it. Do nothing in haste and trust your body and your instincts. This is not do or die. The point is to find what works for you, not make what works for others work for you. There's a learning curve to it. What I do took years, a lot of trial, error, and online research, and better products being available to me over time. It's always a work in progress, so be patient with yourself.

Please discontinue the Omeprazole and Ranitidine. They are now known to do more harm than good. Feel free to look it up, print it off, and discuss it with your doctor. It was all over the national news here in Canada and the U.S. not long ago.

PPIs are now known to put one at risk for serious health problems, including kidney failure. They also mess up the bacterial balance in your gut, also known as your microbiome. This can lead to nasty and life-threatening conditions like C.difficile. It happened to me out of the blue when my doctor put me on an antibiotic. I never saw it coming...I'd never even heard of C.diff before I got it. Later, I learned the mess the Omeprazole caused increased my risk for it.

The natural alternative I found is to get unpasteurized and unfiltered apple cider vinegar from the health food store (Bragg, Eden, Filsinger, Omega Nutrition, etc.) and three times a day, mix one teaspoon (5 ml) in one cup (250 ml) of filtered water sweetened with 4-7 drops of liquid stevia (if you're on a sugar-free diet or at risk for diabetes) or a teaspoon of honey. This will keep any heartburn or GERD issues at bay. I quit my Omeprazole and Ranitidine on the first day and I've been fine since.

Supplements:
D3: I take 5,000 IUs/125 mcg per day, which has helped a lot. Omega-3: it helps to take a fatty fish-based one with high EPA and DHA levels. Plant-based ones don't help.
Magnesium: very important. At least 300-400 mg per day of a chelated one. Don't take within two hrs of iron or calcium (they interfere with absorption).

Anyway, sorry this is so long. I hope at least some of it helps.

MP

Indigo

Ohhhh, is th#at why I get so wobbly? Good to know, and I'll keep the blood pressure monitor (with arm cuff, don't worry) on standby next time to keep an eye on it. Not that I'm trying anything of the sort until this current ME flare improves. I think the CBD pessaries I was sent, which I was told were CBD but seem to have been a CBD/THC blend, made things worse. They definitely set off a nasty case of thrush. And I'm not wild about a company lying about what they are sending out, to the point where they are sending out psychoactive drugs while claiming they're not. I realise it was probably an attempt to help that went wrong because of the ridiculous laws in this country, but that's still unethical. Here's hoping that it will be legalised and then can all be handled properly before too long. The Greens got more seats in the last election, which is something as they want immediate decriminalisation.

Meds - I'm on the ranitidine and omeprazole for a mast cell disorder, which is also why I'm on the antihistamines. Before I was diagnosed and put on those, I kept passing out and getting mild anaphylaxis from merely standing up, and it was getting worse. I know they're not nice drugs. Anaphylaxis isn't nice either.

D3 - I'm taking 2,500iu, plus there's another 100iu per capsule in my Omega 3, which will be adding another 600iu right now. I was originally prescribed 800iu by the doctor, bundled with calcium carbonate, and all it did was increase my Vitamin D levels from "deficient" to "insufficient" and decrease my stomach acid even more. So I switched to buying it myself, and that seemed a sensible dose and got my Vitamin D levels back into the normal range. I hear so much about Vitamin D, it's hard to know how high to dose it at, and from what I hear, it's a type of steroid so you don't want to go too high. Do you know more about this?

Magnesium - I'm on a combination of chelated magnesium and magnesium malate, coming to 400mg, and have been for years. I take it at a different time from the calcium citrate.

Iron - is it OK taking it at the same time as the calcium? And what about the zinc supplement? Separating them all out from each other may be tricky!

Omega 3 - I'm allergic to fish. I take Opti3 algae oil, so it's not one of the useless ones like flaxseed (which gave me nasty breast pain, incidentally). 150mg EPA and 250mg DHA per capsule. I vary how many I take, usually 4, and this week I've moved it up to 6. A few things are improving, not sure if it's temporary but I am considering raising it to 8, something I did with an EPA supplement years ago as a doctor was recommending it for ME. He had a thing against DHA, for some reason, there's a company selling fish oil with the DHA taken out according to that, but other sources agree that DHA is important stuff.

Indigo,

HomeFree

1:1 means the ratio of CBD and THC. I am not sure if 25 mgs is total active cannabinoids or ~25 mg of each. Does cannabis typically give you thrush? what else was in the suppository? It was probably suspended in an carrier oil of some sort from seeds like sesame seed oil or any other oily seed.

Epic post medipuff! I read every word. Cannabis lowers my BP as well. It seems to increase my pulse at first, then normalized after 20-40 minutes. I always thought that the increase in pulse was normal. I guess I am the odd man out.

HomeFree,
Reactions: Mirimi

MediPuff

I think the CBD pessaries I was sent, which I was told were CBD but seem to have been a CBD/THC blend, made things worse. They definitely set off a nasty case of thrush. And I'm not wild about a company lying about what they are sending out, to the point where they are sending out psychoactive drugs while claiming they're not. I realise it was probably an attempt to help that went wrong because of the ridiculous laws in this country, but that's still unethical.

It's virtually impossible not to get CBD without some THC in it. All cannabis has numerous cannabinoids and other constituents in it. How much depends on the source. If it was from an actual strain of cannabis, it would likely have at least 0.5% THC (high CBD strains can contain up to 16-20% THC...anything over 18% is considered a high THC level) and the more you use, the more you can be affected, no matter how low it is. How you will be affected to start with, depends upon how much previous experience you have with cannabis. If you never touched any kind of cannabis before, you'll definitely feel it initially, though it may not be as much as you think. The effects will lessen with the second or third use. If you use it frequently, you will develop a tolerance that makes the THC barely noticeable.

The one I use usually has only 0.5% THC and 19-20% CBD (pretty much anything over 1% is high for a CBD level with >15% being very high). CBD tends to counteract the affects of THC to some degree.

If your CBD oil is made from hemp, the THC level would be around 0.2%, which is very minimal and the CBD would certainly counteract the affects of it. Hemp is usually an industrial crop for fiber, food, fuel, building materials, etc.

Cannabis has over 1,000 different strains, very few of them are categorized as high-CBD (around 10-15). Of these, THC levels vary. Medicinal CBD oil providers should be specifying both CBD and THC levels of the products they sell. If not, you may want to inquire directly of the vendor or look elsewhere.

Other factors that will affect how you respond to THC in medicinal cannabis and CBD products include your level of fatigue, other meds you are taking (or herbs/supplements), how medical conditions affect you, environmental factors (i.e. stressors, weather, allergens), alcohol consumption, diet (edibles minimize psychoactivity and work best on an empty stomach).

Meds - I'm on the ranitidine and omeprazole for a mast cell disorder, which is also why I'm on the antihistamines. Before I was diagnosed and put on those, I kept passing out and getting mild anaphylaxis from merely standing up, and it was getting worse. I know they're not nice drugs. Anaphylaxis isn't nice either.

Agreed. And since I know nothing about mast cell disorders, this is where I have to back off.

D3 - I'm taking 2,500iu, plus there's another 100iu per capsule in my Omega 3, which will be adding another 600iu right now. I was originally prescribed 800iu by the doctor, bundled with calcium carbonate, and all it did was increase my Vitamin D levels from "deficient" to "insufficient" and decrease my stomach acid even more. So I switched to buying it myself, and that seemed a sensible dose and got my Vitamin D levels back into the normal range. I hear so much about Vitamin D, it's hard to know how high to dose it at, and from what I hear, it's a type of steroid so you don't want to go too high. Do you know more about this?

I've never heard this before. Is it possible the word you're thinking of is "sterol," not "steroid?"

Magnesium - I'm on a combination of chelated magnesium and magnesium malate, coming to 400mg, and have been for years. I take it at a different time from the calcium citrate.

Chelate or bisglycinate is ideal because it is better absorbed.

Iron - is it OK taking it at the same time as the calcium? And what about the zinc supplement? Separating them all out from each other may be tricky!

I know, but any other mineral taken along with iron can interfere with its absorption and calcium can interfere with it and others. You can take the zinc with the magnesium, especially if it is chelated or a bisglycinate form.

Omega 3 - I'm allergic to fish. I take Opti3 algae oil, so it's not one of the useless ones like flaxseed (which gave me nasty breast pain, incidentally). 150mg EPA and 250mg DHA per capsule. I vary how many I take, usually 4, and this week I've moved it up to 6. A few things are improving, not sure if it's temporary but I am considering raising it to 8, something I did with an EPA supplement years ago as a doctor was recommending it for ME. He had a thing against DHA, for some reason, there's a company selling fish oil with the DHA taken out according to that, but other sources agree that DHA is important stuff.

One of my daughters can't take fish oil because her gall bladder was removed.

Omega-3 is good for a number of health benefits including brain and cardiac health, anti-inflammatory and anti-aging. DHA is important. However, less is more. Most studies that have demonstrated improved health involved daily doses of 1,000 mg, which for most Omega-3 capsules is one or two per day (I'm unfamiliar with the algae ones). I would advise following the label. Six may be too much. Eight is probably too many. You know what they say about too much of a good thing....

Epic post medipuff! I read every word.

Thank you.

Cannabis lowers my BP as well. It seems to increase my pulse at first, then normalized after 20-40 minutes. I always thought that the increase in pulse was normal. I guess I am the odd man out.

I don't know. It very rarely increases my pulse. If it does, it only lasts five minutes or less, then goes down at least 10 bpm. I also tend to be very focused and inhale very slow and deeply to make sure I get the full benefit from it.

MP

Last edited:
MediPuff,

Krazy

I have a laundry list of medical conditions, so the main ones here are chronic pain (especially fibromyalgia) and PTSD.

I'm trying to get a decent dose into me before bedtime, preferably to last through the night.
I hear you on the laundry list, PTSD, and chronic pain. Have you considered edibles for night time use? Slower onset and way longer duration.

Krazy,

Indigo

Hello again! Edibles are what I'm experimenting with just now, due to a PTSD flare from hell. To begin with, we are using about 5g of ABV (still the whatever-my-friend-can-get type, and no sign of impending legalisation thanks to our delightful political situation), which was vaped on an Arizer Solo at setting 2, which is apparently 185C/365F. My friend reckons that's a good place to start, hopefully it'll be less likely to be psychoactive, and they have loads we can experiment with. We're going for the version where you do several heating/freezing cycles in order to make it more sedating for use at night.

We used 1/4c coconut oil, 1t lecithin granules, and so far have done three heating sessions at 100C and two freezing sessions. It's in a 0.5l pyrex dish with a side plate on top, then four layers of foil as a seal. The first heating session was 2.5h, then frozen overnight, then 1.5h, then frozen for 2h (my friend reckons it shouldn't need extended freezing to have the effect), then we realised that we had miscalculated the lecithin and only put in 1/16t, so put in a full teaspoon and did the third heating session for 2.5h again. I've just taken 1/16t of that with a bit of chocolate, fifteen minutes ago at 9.30pm, and it's gone back into the freezer. The plan is to do two more heating/freezing cycles tomorrow, then possibly strain it, then freeze it in a silicone mini ice cube tray that has 1cm cubes, giving a dose of 1ml (just under 1/4t) per cube. Probably a few test ones to begin with, in case I need a lower dose, though it sounds like it'll produce a reasonable dose. I may or may not try mixing it in with chocolate, with the addition of peanut butter and/or spices. If I can't get on with it, they'll see what it does for them, so it won't be wasted. If it seems promising, we may try using some unvaped greens.

I'm mainly trying to get something to help me sleep, and with any luck knock out the nightmares. Today is unusual, because we were up most of the night, following the US election in a state of increasing misery, and I've only had three hours of sleep. I should hopefully sleep fairly well tonight. My vision seems a little fuzzy, now twenty minutes after I took it, but I'm guessing that's just because I'm tired (it's not unusual for me), as surely it won't have kicked in yet? Not to mention that this is a low dose, I'm being cautious. I'm keeping an eye on my heart rate via my Fitbit. It's been fine so far, and I can look at it in more detail on the Fitbit app. If I get dizzy, I'll fish out the blood pressure monitor, and I have my partner with me as well as an emergency alarm round my neck. I've had a skim through this page as it's been so long, and was amused to see someone telling me that a blood pressure of anything under 95/65 was trouble. You try telling my doctors that! I've had 70/40 before, though that was due to codeine. It's actually been a lot more normal since going on the mast cell meds and ivabradine, lovely numbers like 115/75, and I don't think I've seen anything like my old usual 90/60 in years.

I record my sleep quality using a Fitbit and then put the data into a different app, along with what I've taken for sleep, so that should help me work out whether this is helping or not.

Last edited:

C No Ego

Hello again! Edibles are what I'm experimenting with just now, due to a PTSD flare from hell. To begin with, we are using about 5g of ABV (still the whatever-my-friend-can-get type, and no sign of impending legalisation thanks to our delightful political situation), which was vaped on an Arizer Solo at setting 2, which is apparently 185C/365F. My friend reckons that's a good place to start, hopefully it'll be less likely to be psychoactive, and they have loads we can experiment with. We're going for the version where you do several heating/freezing cycles in order to make it more sedating for use at night.

We used 1/4c coconut oil, 1t lecithin granules, and so far have done three heating sessions at 100C and two freezing sessions. It's in a 0.5l pyrex dish with a side plate on top, then four layers of foil as a seal. The first heating session was 2.5h, then frozen overnight, then 1.5h, then frozen for 2h (my friend reckons it shouldn't need extended freezing to have the effect), then we realised that we had miscalculated the lecithin and only put in 1/16t, so put in a full teaspoon and did the third heating session for 2.5h again. I've just taken 1/16t of that with a bit of chocolate, fifteen minutes ago at 9.30pm, and it's gone back into the freezer. The plan is to do two more heating/freezing cycles tomorrow, then possibly strain it, then freeze it in a silicone mini ice cube tray that has 1cm cubes, giving a dose of 1ml (just under 1/4t) per cube. Probably a few test ones to begin with, in case I need a lower dose, though it sounds like it'll produce a reasonable dose. I may or may not try mixing it in with chocolate, with the addition of peanut butter and/or spices. If I can't get on with it, they'll see what it does for them, so it won't be wasted. If it seems promising, we may try using some unvaped greens.

I'm mainly trying to get something to help me sleep, and with any luck knock out the nightmares. Today is unusual, because we were up most of the night, following the US election in a state of increasing misery, and I've only had three hours of sleep. I should hopefully sleep fairly well tonight. My vision seems a little fuzzy, now twenty minutes after I took it, but I'm guessing that's just because I'm tired (it's not unusual for me), as surely it won't have kicked in yet? Not to mention that this is a low dose, I'm being cautious. I'm keeping an eye on my heart rate via my Fitbit. It's been fine so far, and I can look at it in more detail on the Fitbit app. If I get dizzy, I'll fish out the blood pressure monitor, and I have my partner with me as well as an emergency alarm round my neck. I've had a skim through this page as it's been so long, and was amused to see someone telling me that a blood pressure of anything under 95/65 was trouble. You try telling my doctors that! I've had 70/40 before, though that was due to codeine. It's actually been a lot more normal since going on the mast cell meds and ivabradine, lovely numbers like 115/75, and I don't think I've seen anything like my old usual 90/60 in years.

I record my sleep quality using a Fitbit and then put the data into a different app, along with what I've taken for sleep, so that should help me work out whether this is helping or not.

Indigo, if you have a way to turn the power off to your bedroom at night do that. if you cannot turn it off completely do not keep alarm clocks or any electronic devices near your brain. the electromagnetic smog released from such devices and live electrical lines really interferes with our sleep patterns.. a few tablespoons of raw honey or almond butter before bed helps give the liver something to digest slowly overnight so you do not wake with the hunger urge as much... Blessings and Peace

C No Ego,
Top Bottom