Discontinued Splinter Z by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterChief

So while I'm waiting on my Triade to ship, I ordered a RX GEN3 from Vgoodiez. It came preloaded with SUREVIC. I'm currently using it in wattage mode at 35-38w with cruise control. I'm letting the heater warm up 3-5 seconds and then taking a draw. Total time 13-15 seconds. If I can get this mod to work pretty good with the Z then I might just cancel my order for the Triade.Can you RX GEN3 owners let me know whatsettings I need to check out? TIA

TiSteamo

VAPEnsiero... sull'ali dorate...
Doesn't look cracked to me, maybe just dirty? But the picture is blurry, can you take a picture that would have the "crack" sharp? If you can't see any sharp edges it's not a crack.
IMG-20190428-174127.jpg

TiSteamo,
Reactions: Summer

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Just looks like an imperfection in the glass, not cracked, seems fine to use.

I'm not sure but I think the straight stems that come with the Chinese vapes are also Chinese glass, at least I am pretty positive that the smoked glass and wpa are... Still nice though, I think the German glass only comes directly from RBT for the custom vapes? Really not sure...

TiSteamo

Sorry for the noob question: is it really so necessary to set all these parameters to use the splinter?
I only set the wattage. Am I doing something wrong?
If so, would anyone tell me how I should set the parameters on a Wismec rx200s?

jbm

Sorry for the noob question: is it really so necessary to set all these parameters to use the splinter?
Nope, I’m just using wattage mode and playing with draw speed and incremental increases, 30-37W so far. Working well. I usually do a little preheat, 3-5 sec and then I do a slow draw till I feel the vapor. It’s working well. Eventually I’ll nerd out on TC, but right now I’m just enjoying the vape.

On the other hand I am a total noob here as well.

Last edited:

TiSteamo

Another question: is it advisable to place a further screen (small net) in the chamber to protect it from possible combustion (a few posts ago I spoke of a slight wisp of smoke coming from the grass placed in the mouthpiece)? I read on reddit about people who damaged the bottom of the chamber quite seriously.

TiSteamo,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Just using wattage is fine and how it was designed, the simplest without settings

SquirrelMaster

With everyone using wattage, does your device show a temperature while you're firing (hooked to a PC) or only the wattage?

When I'm hooked into EScribe in TCR mode, I can see my reported temperature max out at the set 385°F and my wattage drop and fluctuate to keep temp. In wattage mode my reported temperature just keeps going, over 500°F if I let it. I assume this is an accurate reading but is that normal? Where does the regulation (as it is a regulated vape) occur?

I think I'm over thinking the whole thing and my apologies for all the questions.

In the meantime, TCR brought me to my knees with a Blueberry Kush and extra kief bowl 20 minutes ago. So medicated.

SquirrelMaster,
Reactions: bossman

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
I’m starting to feel the magic.

Tonight I filled up the screen to 2/3 very loosely packed. I had the Z set at 365, 50-51 watts, .39 ohms. I did two long heats to warm it up. I drew long and slowly, shutting off the firing button about halfway through each draw. I consistently got big clouds of flavor and still had strong taste after multiple hits. I stirred after the first two hits, and then was able to get 2 more. By then I was still getting some reduced flavor but the ABV was nice and browned.

If this is the start of it getting good, I’m excited to see its potential when I really have everything down.

I will say that even with the long XL8R stem, the vapor did still felt a bit harsh on my throat. I’d love to try the Splinter through water but I believe Vgoodiez is out of the gong adapter.

Hammahead

I will say that even with the long XL8R stem, the vapor did still felt a bit harsh on my throat.

Now, I haven't tried the XL8R stem (as it seems I have a newer model that may not fit) but what I know is the Easy Flow cooling mouthpiece is working as great that sometimes I wonder if the Splinter is working at all, it seems all I get is flavor until I exhale ;) It's a pita to clean though, as it's got very, very fragile structures of glass inside. I wrecked one after just a couple of cleanings. Never insert anything solid into it, just use alcohol and water!

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I’m starting to feel the magic.

Tonight I filled up the screen to 2/3 very loosely packed. I had the Z set at 365, 50-51 watts, .39 ohms. I did two long heats to warm it up. I drew long and slowly, shutting off the firing button about halfway through each draw. I consistently got big clouds of flavor and still had strong taste after multiple hits. I stirred after the first two hits, and then was able to get 2 more. By then I was still getting some reduced flavor but the ABV was nice and browned.

If this is the start of it getting good, I’m excited to see its potential when I really have everything down.

I will say that even with the long XL8R stem, the vapor did still felt a bit harsh on my throat. I’d love to try the Splinter through water but I believe Vgoodiez is out of the gong adapter.
I haven't had a ton of success so far with my adapter and D020-d. I think I need to wet it more to stop air leaking in from the glass joint.

If you can find a custom XL8R they cool better than the China glass ones. Also if you get a long 19/19 non-cooling stem at some point you might enjoy that occasionally for lower temp flavor. I almost always use the XL8R stems just to enable bigger hits.

@SquirrelMaster I don't see any temps when I'm in wattage mode. I'm not an expert on how these mods work though, I just rely on HerbieVonVapster for my dna settings and crib TC mod settings from the other kind folks here.

TiSteamo

@bossman what wattage do you set?
I warm up for 5 seconds at 40W, then start the session at 32-33 and finish at 36-38. It's right?

TiSteamo,

Hammahead

I think I need to wet it more to stop air leaking in from the glass joint.

I'd recommend looking for teflon tape to seal it perfectly tight. It's literally a cent article. Wetting the joint can easily lead to having it stuck too tight to loosen again.

Last edited:
Hammahead,
Reactions: YaMon

eideal852

i know its been gone over to death, but want to remind everyone of the joys of a LIGHT pack. like cover-the-screen amount (i normally just grind a nug for the stem, then pack it all so I'm not juggling shake/nug/container, so load size can vary quite a bit)- but when I try hard not to overfill, the rips are all tops. I small loaded the short xl8r all the way through GoT (:o) last night with the Z and couldnt have been happier.

full disclosure, I also pulled out the old green shorty with a deeeeeep rimless basket after it was nice and warm, and that one flavored me through to bed.

Last edited:

MasterChief

I just got a Z too. For now I’m using a Wismec RX Gen3 dual with mysurevic in wattage mode. I have auto fire on, preheat set to 40 watts for 2.5 seconds (that’s the longest I can set it to for some reason). I use it at 35-40w and let it heat up for around 5 seconds before I start taking a draw.

I tried TCR mode, but keep getting a atomizer error so I’m just sticking to watts. I’m not sure if getting a DNA will be worth it for me since I haven’t been able to get TC mode to work.

MasterChief,
Reactions: TiSteamo

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
@bossman what wattage do you set?
I warm up for 5 seconds at 40W, then start the session at 32-33 and finish at 36-38. It's right?
I'm mostly in TC on a DNA75C with my Z but yeah that wattage range sounds right to me.

Unrelatedly, I gotta second @eideal852's recommendation for the light pack. Great way to maximize flavor too since you can spread one full basket into three or four smaller ones.

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
With everyone using wattage, does your device show a temperature while you're firing (hooked to a PC) or only the wattage?

When I'm hooked into EScribe in TCR mode, I can see my reported temperature max out at the set 385°F and my wattage drop and fluctuate to keep temp. In wattage mode my reported temperature just keeps going, over 500°F if I let it. I assume this is an accurate reading but is that normal? Where does the regulation (as it is a regulated vape) occur?

I think I'm over thinking the whole thing and my apologies for all the questions.

In the meantime, TCR brought me to my knees with a Blueberry Kush and extra kief bowl 20 minutes ago. So medicated.
Keep in mind the temperature displayed in TCR mode is not from a thermocouple (Thermometer), it is an interpretation of the temperature based upon the material file and the anticipated changes in the material’s resistance as temperature climbs. It should not be a temperature one compares with other devices, other 510 vapes or the Splinter Z on a different Box Mod. The temperature in TC mode is only there as a measure, a speedometer of sorts without really knowing your exact speed or the speed limit. So, in answer to your question is the temperature accurate? Accurate to what? Is it the same a thermometer would display, heck no!

I used Wattage mode initially, but getting faded it’s too easy to scortch the herb and or require too much explanation when handing the vape & mod to a newbie. TCR mode enables you to hold the button as long as you want and to have the temperature relatively stable.

I’ve found this vape either performs like very few others (Most of the time) or does not do much which I attribute to one of the following: Spent load, weak batteries, pack and or grind, moisture content in the herb and the seal between the basket and the stem. For the last one if you are drawing air threw and your packed basket does not seal well, there is very little to prevent the airflow from going around your herbs rather than up through them.

As to XL8R custom and the King Kooler or generic (China) version, the thickness of the custom does absorb more heat. Otherwise they both function very well and very close to one another, so close in fact I cannot easily discern which one I am using until I hold them side by side.

TiSteamo

Another question: is it advisable to place a further screen (small net) in the chamber to protect it from possible combustion (a few posts ago I spoke of a slight wisp of smoke coming from the grass placed in the mouthpiece)? I read on reddit about people who damaged the bottom of the chamber quite seriously.
any opinion on this?

TiSteamo,

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
any opinion on this?
I use only the basket screen with the herbs in it on the end of the stem, I do not use two screens. When the herbs are freshly packed I would not recommend slamming a mod onto a desk causing herbs to fall into the heater screen. I also check this screen between sessions for an loose particles. Once you’ve heated the load it should stay in place.

If you do place your herbs between the two screens they will be further from the heat source, lowering the temperature, so you would need to adjust your settings subjectively/accordingly

YaMon,
Reactions: KeroZen

TiSteamo

@YaMon

Maybe I didn't explain myself well, I meant a small screen like this, placed where the grass rests.

s-l1000.jpg

TiSteamo,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom