Discontinued Splinter Z by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
For me the best tweak is to set the resistance higher than my mods typically read it when cold. I run my Z at .4ohms. I don't recall where the watts were but on my dna mods it's 50W.

Also it's worth repeating that all cheap TC mods aren't created equal. I've owned three so far and the wismec rx gen3 dual was easily the most rewarding in the pursuit of big dense clouds.

On this thread and the Splinter thread we come across this same situation where a new user is understandably antsy to get the amazing performance the rest of us are familiar with. Any config hassles are worth it though. Now that I have several Splinters on appropriate mods the world of settings is just a flexibility advantage. Hope you're able to stick it out.

Thanks! My mod is a DNAc mod, albeit not the highest end one in the world, but should be better than a cheap entry level mod. I will try those settings tonight.

TiSteamo

VAPEnsiero... sull'ali dorate...
Had another session last night, packed far more loosely with less material, tried hard to modulate my draws to be not too slow, not too fast. I started at 375 at 40 watts and towards the end went up to 380 at 44 watts. I mostly got hot air. I did get a good high, just very little vapor. I’m not super concerned about clouds but I’m still not loving how variable the experience is from use to use. I may end up letting this one go and waiting for the Sprout to come out instead. Box mods don’t feel like my thing.

This is a flute that has to be played !!! :D:D:D

Playing the flute I get big clouds…

Question: today I extracted the mouthpiece to check the condition of the herb and I noticed that a thin wisp of smoke was emitted from the herb. Is it possible that there was combustion?
Moreover, could it not damage the base of the chamber, since there are no protective net-screens? :hmm:

Last edited:

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
Okay so I think I’m starting to get the Z dialed in. I ended up setting my ohms to .39, temp at 380, watts at 50. With those settings, and the warm material file loaded, I’m getting consistent mid level vapor and the vapor is warm but not hot (the XL8R did get nice and toasty). The ABV is very even and looked the exact color I want. I was doing a rotation of the stem after each hit as I saw someone here mention that helped them reduce hot spotting.

A huge thank you to everyone who has helped me with this. I’m sure I have more to learn but after this session I’m feeling good about having at least a base level of performance I can always go back to.

And I also want to give a shout out to Scott at @VGOODIEZ. I emailed him with my issues earlier this morning and he was extremely responsive and even offered to test the unit for me to see if it was faulty. I’ve ordered a Glass Charlie vapcap cooling stem from VG before and was impressed with the service then as well. They are one of my favorite vendors.

jbm

Okay so I think I’m starting to get the Z dialed in. I ended up setting my ohms to .39, temp at 380, watts at 50. With those settings, and the warm material file loaded, I’m getting consistent mid level vapor and the vapor is warm but not hot (the XL8R did get nice and toasty). The ABV is very even and looked the exact color I want. I was doing a rotation of the stem after each hit as I saw someone here mention that helped them reduce hot spotting.

A huge thank you to everyone who has helped me with this. I’m sure I have more to learn but after this session I’m feeling good about having at least a base level of performance I can always go back to.

And I also want to give a shout out to Scott at @VGOODIEZ. I emailed him with my issues earlier this morning and he was extremely responsive and even offered to test the unit for me to see if it was faulty. I’ve ordered a Glass Charlie vapcap cooling stem from VG before and was impressed with the service then as well. They are one of my favorite vendors.
Seconded. Scott has been incredibly patient and helpful with me in getting set up with a custom Z. I’ll be buying more from him in future.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure

That's good. I noticed my Splinter Z is set to 55W. Maybe that's from an earlier Herbie ecigprofile.

The Z is a bit slower to warm up than a V1 or V2. Keeping that in mind helps me get the most out of it. Sometimes I'll switch to wattage for one or two five second preheats just to get it going.

Experiment with nudging the unlocked resistance higher and using lower temps. I find that helps with denser vapor.

You might consider that VT75D too if the Z is making short work of your batteries. I don't take mine below 70% because I feel like the performance suffers compared to when it's fully charged.

Hammahead

:tup::love::bowdown:

Thank you ever so much again... using this coil material file has improved my SplinterZ-experience so dramatically, it's ridiculous! I use it with the Splinter_Z profile and get massive, tasty clouds pretty much with the first toke, near to no hot spots, all I need to do is to rotate the mouthpiece a bit between tokes. Hammatime!

Talking mouthpiece - notorious all-thumbs me broke my cooling mouthpiece and while waiting for the replacement, I fiddled something together that might suffice for many users:

That's a replacement mouthpiece for a Focus Vape (about 5 Euros), fixed and sealed to the default Splinter mouthpiece by a small silicone ring, made by cutting about 1,5 millimeters of a soft silicone tube. It gets significantly warmer than the Easy Flow mouthpiece but way cooler than with the default mouthpiece.

Last edited:

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
That's good. I noticed my Splinter Z is set to 55W. Maybe that's from an earlier Herbie ecigprofile.

The Z is a bit slower to warm up than a V1 or V2. Keeping that in mind helps me get the most out of it. Sometimes I'll switch to wattage for one or two five second preheats just to get it going.

Experiment with nudging the unlocked resistance higher and using lower temps. I find that helps with denser vapor.

You might consider that VT75D too if the Z is making short work of your batteries. I don't take mine below 70% because I feel like the performance suffers compared to when it's fully charged.

Mine was also set to 55 watts but I pulled it down in my attempt to find the right settings for me.

jbm

So I just did a couple bowls of mixed CBD and THC at 32-35W in wattage mode. This thing is amazing. Clouds, flavor, such a lovely high. Used the short stem that came with it; it got warm but never hot. Good extraction. This is on a Espion 200w with Red Panda. Thanks everyone for your help.

TiSteamo

I noticed that there is a small grain behind the "opaque" base of the XL8R, I don't think the glass is cracked but I can't understand it well.
It was already like this before the first use.
Somewhere another user was talking about a cracked glass but I can't find the post, nor am I sure he was talking about the mouthpiece but the glass in the chamber.
Anyway, I hope it's not something to worry about, for now it works well.

Last edited:
TiSteamo,

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
So I just did a couple bowls of mixed CBD and THC at 32-35W in wattage mode. This thing is amazing. Clouds, flavor, such a lovely high. Used the short stem that came with it; it got warm but never hot. Good extraction. This is on a Espion 200w with Red Panda. Thanks everyone for your help.
The cooling stems help. I have a long plain stem and even that makes a difference

bossman,

jbm

The cooling stems help. I have a long plain stem and even that makes a difference
I actually bought a King Kooling kit with my Z but I was curious to see how hot the included stems would get. I’ve tried the long Xl8r now and it stays even cooler. Though I did notice that it doesn’t seal as tightly as the included stem.

Are the Xl8rs with thicker glass (“custom”) still being made? I bought the thinner glass kit, I think. Though so far they all work fine.

jbm,

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I actually bought a King Kooling kit with my Z but I was curious to see how hot the included stems would get. I’ve tried the long Xl8r now and it stays even cooler. Though I did notice that it doesn’t seal as tightly as the included stem.

Are the Xl8rs with thicker glass (“custom”) still being made? I bought the thinner glass kit, I think. Though so far they all work fine.
It's my understanding that the straight stems are still German glass. I don't recall what the XL8R plans are but I feel like it's been discussed.

bossman,

BlazeDis

I have the exact same combo and I'm using the FCshare Splinter_Z profile with the new coil material profile Herbie posted a couple days ago in this thread. I use the "hot" version and have set the temp of the Splinter_Z profile between 195°C and 200°C. I'm having pretty much instant clouds both on the cooling mouthpiece and on my bong adapter. I have only a very limited idea of all the settings and just found the above combination does it best for me: fast, big clouds, no combustion, no stirring. Not sure if this is helpful for you...
Hi can someone point me to the Splinter Z profile and new coil material profile please ?

BlazeDis,

SquirrelMaster

Hi can someone point me to the Splinter Z profile and new coil material profile please ?

https://forum.evolvapor.com/files/file/567-fcshare/
-------------------------------------------------------------------

More questions for the experts while I learn my mod and Escribe. I've been firing in TCR with the Splinter Z profile since I got it (only a couple bowls, getting over a cold) and today I tried messing around with watt mode. I had everything hooked up to my computer and when I would fire the temperature on "device Manager" would just keep climbing if I let it. There doesn't seem to be any sort of temperature max cut off even though I have it set to 450°F under Mod->-Safety->Max Output Temperature. This is all on my Lost Vape Paranormal DNA250C with a Splinter Z V1 Bubinga. I'm going to stay in TCR for now as this freaks me out a bit and I don't know if it's normal.

Something I noticed was that some of the values in Escribe seemed off. What I mean by this is that once I loaded up a profile (Profile 1 -> Load Profile -> SplinterZDNAc.ecigprofile) it only affected the values under that tab and nothing under any of the other tabs (Theme-Safety-Display-Materials-Mod-Research). I looked at the "Hcigar75c.ecig" as guidance and lowered some values. I'll be honest I'm paranoid about messing something up and blowing this thing up in my face. I know, probably irrational thinking but better to play it safe until I'm comfortable with the settings.

One more thing. When I have the Splinter Z on my mod that is when I measure resistance but I should lock it correct? It's not in the pictures below. As the Splinter is used is rises from 0.387ohms to 0.41ohms. My mod will ask if I have changed to a new coil. This should (in my mind) mean that it will less effective overall with the higher resistance i.e. why I hear it brought up to check resistance when cold/ambient.

Anyways here are a few snap shots and combined with the above info I'm hoping for a little feedback.

Thank you to anyone that got this far haha.

Last edited:
SquirrelMaster,
Reactions: KeroZen

TiSteamo

IMG-20190428-135907.jpg

Is the glass cracked?

TiSteamo,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom