Specific Questions about MFLB battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

20bag

Sorry, I have looked through so many different sites and founds tons of info but just a few questions.

1)lets say im out, and have no recharged batteries. Could I go to the store and buy the NiMH batteries that are just normal (non recharchable) or does the system only with with recharchable batteries.

2) will the charger that came with the unit charge all, or most, NiMH batteries
if not

3)is there a charger that can charge all of my NiMH batteries

20bag,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
1) You must use rechargeable NiMH AA batteries of 2000 mAh or higher capacity, with covering removed.

2) Yes.

3) Obviously, yes.

There is a thread here for the MFLB and a separate forum for asking questions. See the link in my sig for more information about the LB. There is a section on batteries and another on chargers. If you still have questions, make your way to the appropriate place before posting, thanks.

pakalolo,

robert denby

keep in mind that nimh batteries lose power when they are not in use, which means brand new batteries, depending on how long they have been in the package, will still need to be charged before you use them.

robert denby,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
robert denby said:
keep in mind that nimh batteries lose power when they are not in use, which means brand new batteries, depending on how long they have been in the package, will still need to be charged before you use them.

That's a good point. LSD batteries are sold pre-charged, though, and will probably have at least 75% charge when you buy them.

Edited for typo

pakalolo,

20bag

very nice... so if i was out and desperate, i could could low self discharge orwhatever their are called and i will be fine, right

20bag,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
You could, yes. But I have never found the need to do so. Once you have an LB, you learn to always have enough batts at your disposal.

:peace:

Stu,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
20bag said:
very nice... so if i was out and desperate, i could could low self discharge orwhatever their are called and i will be fine, right

You could, but then you'd have to peel the battery. Many brands use a glue under the label that is messy to remove. Although it wouldn't prevent the battery from working as intended, it would make it unpleasant to use. As Stu says, once you own the LB, you'll develop habits that ensure you don't find yourself resorting to this sort of extreme. Most of the people fretting over battery issues with the LB haven't owned one yet.

pakalolo,

20bag

ok so one more question

1) since it comes with a charger, i may not need to buy a charger. Or is there a benefit to getting a different charger... other than the fact that a diff. charger may charge more batt. at once

2) i know there is a 500 post forum on this, and i read the wiki too but...
what batt do you recommend. I want to buy a shitload and use them with the charger that comes with the MFlB. Are there any that I wont have to peel.... ones that are widely avail (duracell, everg. etc)

sorry, 2 questions
I appreciate the replys

20bag,

Vaporisateur

Senior Marijuanist
The manufacturer recommends Maha Imedion 2400mAh NiMH batteries. You can get them in pack of 4 on ebay for less than 15$, shipped from USA.

Vaporisateur,

Puget

mollusk
If you enjoy technical toys, the Maha C-9000 is worth the money. Using "break in" mode, my new Imedions read 2400mAh while the new Powerex 2700mAh read 2600mAh. The Powerex from newegg had goo but really only a slight hassle if you have a small bottle of Goo Gone. (Some people have goo-free 2700's.)

Puget,

kewpcer

I have Powerex 2700s and the Energizer 15 minute charger. Works flawless. Charges 2 batts in 15 mins, 4 in 30 and trickle charges them to top them off. It's 40 buck at Wally World with 4 energizer 2300s (not a terrible battery, but a very loose fit in the LB). It also comes with a car adapter.

kewpcer,

vapirtoo

After a year of fiddling around with all kinds of batts;
it seems the thick snug ones are the best. I guess
size does matter. :lol:
I have the original beta PA. It rocks as long as the batt part stays nice and tight;
The switch tends to get loose. Is the 2.0 beta PA any different?

vapirtoo,
I am also interested in the PA. My batteries keep dying on me so I was interested in the PA to help conserve my batteries when I am near an outlet. Are there any drawbacks with it?

haolepino818,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
20bag said:
1)lets say im out, and have no recharged batteries. Could I go to the store and buy the NiMH batteries that are just normal (non recharchable) or does the system only with with recharchable batteries.

2) will the charger that came with the unit charge all, or most, NiMH batteries
if not

3)is there a charger that can charge all of my NiMH batteries
1) No, NiMH do not offer a non-rechargeable (cheap) version. Also all non-rechargeable are unuasable in the box (I think because of their low capacity and high voltage - it burns for a short while)

2) MF charger charges 1 battery in 0-2 hrs, 2 batts in 0-4hrs. Depends on how charged they already are. I usually charge one battery after one session (half discharged) and it charges in an hour and is ready to use again.

3) There are a lot of chargers. The MF is safe, easy and little fast. Holds 2 batteries. If you think you will need a better one - your choice. For less than 5 uses in a day, the MF charger is good.
20bag said:
1) since it comes with a charger, i may not need to buy a charger. Or is there a benefit to getting a different charger... other than the fact that a diff. charger may charge more batt. at once

2) i know there is a 500 post forum on this, and i read the wiki too but...
what batt do you recommend. I want to buy a shitload and use them with the charger that comes with the MFlB. Are there any that I wont have to peel.... ones that are widely avail (duracell, everg. etc)
1)Some chargers can charge a lot faster (the HAVE TO be smart to not damage your batteries!), some hold more batteries, some are much more adjustable.

2)MAHA Imedion 2400mAh (LSD type) is one of the best. They are the stock batteries you can get. You can't charge then in a charger faster, than 1 hour. If you are going to use it heavily (really heavily, like more, than 5 times a day), you can get MAHA Powerex 2700mAh(HSD type). They have even better performance, can be charged fast. But require you will use them soon, because they discharge themselves slowly.

Seek,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
vapirtoo said:
I have the original beta PA. It rocks as long as the batt part stays nice and tight;
The switch tends to get loose. Is the 2.0 beta PA any different?

On the PA 2.0 everything overall seems a bit more tight and solid. Both my beta PA and 2.0 work fine tho.

haolepino818 said:
I am also interested in the PA. My batteries keep dying on me so I was interested in the PA to help conserve my batteries when I am near an outlet. Are there any drawbacks with it?

Not really. Its badass. Car adapter gives you even more outlets to choose from!

kewpcer said:
I have Powerex 2700s and the Energizer 15 minute charger. Works flawless. Charges 2 batts in 15 mins, 4 in 30 and trickle charges them to top them off. It's 40 buck at Wally World with 4 energizer 2300s (not a terrible battery, but a very loose fit in the LB). It also comes with a car adapter.

If I were spending $40 on a charger I would bite the bullet and spend $50 on the C-9000. Your long term battery life will greatly increase. Being able to put batts in discharge mode is key. 15min chargers are hard on any battery.

JDSupreme,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom