Smoking vs Vaporizing

frogbmth

micitacel said:
Also I should mention that the Iolite is very discreet.
Everybody at my work think that my Iolite is a walkie talkie, the look and the hiss certainly make it pass as one :D

frogbmth,

Raf007

Retailer
Drigh said:
After reading all the replies and thinking about it for a while; I can only conclude that it is what what it is. Obviously vaporizing is generally the better choice but... well, it is what it is.
IMHO Do yourself a treat and start vaping... but not with an Iolite. :D

Raf007,

micitacel

Once agin I want to recommend the HappyVappy. Small, excellent temperature control, easy to use. I love the Iolite for its portability, but for use at home, the HappyVappy is just the best. I've tried out many different vaporizers and I always come back to HV as the best overall. Check it out at their website: http://www.happyvappy.com/.
They aren't the cheapest, but the workmanship and construction are first-rate.
If you want to take it with you and use a converter in a vehicle, buy the cheaper analog version instead of the digital one - the digital won't work on many 12V - 110V converters.

Mod note: Again, not the proper forum or thread for hyping your favorite vape. Please stay on topic.

micitacel,

frogbmth

I do think that smoking a joint is more socially acceptable to your average joe than sucking on a vaping contraption, I think the image of your average vape puts some people off. Certainly where I live anyway. When you think of how smokers are so defensive against people who are critical of smoking, they can be just as bad! When I go for a vape outside work with the smokers most of whom are happy to have a joint, they look at me and my vape like a crazy wizard sucking on a cauldron or something.

frogbmth,

Drigh

I posted a thread on 4chan (i know, lol) about the same thing which lasted 300 posts. From everything I've gathered on this subject here are the most popular points towards smoking over vaporizing from a smokers point of view (ignoring medicinal uses):

1) "I don't have the money or willpower to save in comparison to buying weed right away"
2) "I have built an emotional relationship with smoking that I will lose if i switch to vaporizing"
3) Poor experience and/or bad word of mouth mixed with ignorance of vaporizers and the science behind vaporizing.

At think point I'm not really bringing anything really new to the table. I'm comfortable if people have their reasons i deem to be invalid. Unless its someone I really care about I guess its not that big of a deal. With that being said, I do now have a better understanding for the whole smoking vs vaporizing debate. I plan to vaporize over smoking whenever I can.

Quick question: do you think I should quit smoking altogether? there are those rare, 2-times-a-month times when smoking is the only option. Some people get slightly offended if I pass on smoking when everyone else is.

Drigh,

Frickr

strictly vape for a few weeks, then try smoking. you will be comfirmed of all of your doubts as the smoke will taste bad, and wont get you nearly as high as you've become acustom too

Frickr,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Drigh said:
I posted a thread on 4chan (i know, lol) about the same thing which lasted 300 posts. From everything I've gathered on this subject here are the most popular points towards smoking over vaporizing from a smokers point of view (ignoring medicinal uses):

1) "I don't have the money or willpower to save in comparison to buying weed right away"
2) "I have built an emotional relationship with smoking that I will lose if i switch to vaporizing"
3) Poor experience and/or bad word of mouth mixed with ignorance of vaporizers and the science behind vaporizing.

At think point I'm not really bringing anything really new to the table. I'm comfortable if people have their reasons i deem to be invalid. Unless its someone I really care about I guess its not that big of a deal. With that being said, I do now have a better understanding for the whole smoking vs vaporizing debate. I plan to vaporize over smoking whenever I can.

Quick question: do you think I should quit smoking altogether? there are those rare, 2-times-a-month times when smoking is the only option. Some people get slightly offended if I pass on smoking when everyone
else is.
You pretty much hit it right on the head with those 3 "points" that anti-vaporists drawn on. As well as when you say that some smokers get offended when you won't smoke with them...

A friend of mine (whom i've burned god-knows how many bowls/Js with and whom i hadn't seen for a while) stopped in to try my DBV on an occasion when I already had like 3 other ppl there vaping on it with me. I gave him the second hit on a few of the bowls and he really loved the smoothness and flavor, but because of how many ppl were in teh rotation, he didnt get a chance to get many hits through it. So he busts out his personal (fatties in bob marley hemp wraps) and goes to light it up and I just had to flat out tell him No (actually, it was more like "nah, man." lol). I just don't like inhaling smoke anymore, it tastes like ass and it lingers bad. There hasnt been smoke in my house for months and I had reclaimed part of my olfactory senses that I had lost over years of smoking, so I wasnt about to toss that out the window for someone else's sake. I'm not trying to be elitist or snobby or w/e negative things ppl think about me when i turn them down on combustion. To each their own, and I'm set on mine.

Oh well, some day the smokers will realize the error of their ways.

steiner666,

tranquiltoker

I've never vaporized before (my first is in the mail, and I can't wait!!!:D) but I really hate smoking. It tastes like shit, it hurts, I cough like crazy afterwards (I've almost thrown up from coughing when I first started smoking :(), it smells, and I always get really bad headaches afterwards, so I don't think I'll have any problem switching to vaporizing. I literally have to force myself to take a hit (until I'm stoned...then I don't give a crap :lol:). I guess the best comparison I can make when I smoke is like the liquor face people make when they take shots. I think I'll still keep my pieces, but they'll only be used on rare occasions (except my bong...I'll have to get an adapter for it). It just makes more sense to me to vaporize. Yeah, I'm forking out some serious dough to get a vape, but it saves both my pocket book and my health in the long run, so it's not that much of a cost. Not to mention, my family is pretty happy I've decided to stop smoking. I come from a non-smoking family, so smoking's always been an issue (smoking anything).

I will admit, though, it is fun to blow out those clouds of smoke. I think one of my favorite activities when I smoke is hotboxing. :lol:

tranquiltoker,

DrMephisto

Welcome, Drigh!
Well, I think the vaporists would have something to say on these points....

Ok, that may make sense, but two things come to mind. One, vaporizers aren't nearly as expensive as you may think. Generally (as has been said before) people new or foreign to vaporizing think of the Volcano, or other $300+ units. I'd have to say that there's some good nee great options to be found within these pages. PD, LB, DBV, SSV....all well below the 'cano's price point and do the trick nicely. The second point is (also previously covered) that vaping is much more efficient than combustion. I used to burn an eighth in a week or so, perhaps as short as a weekend if a session ensued...when I switched to just using my PD (and the following 3 vapes) that same eighth lasts me 2-3 weeks, getting vaked more often. So, you'd actually save money in the long run (which most of us on here seem to spend on other vapes :D)

True, as well, but I think 95% of us on here had/have that same relationship with combustion. It (vaping)'s a different feel, for sure, then blowing a huge cloud of smoke out...but I think the "pro's" to vaporization take precedence here. Less carcinogens, not coughing as much/at all, not nearly as smelly, better taste, and once again, efficiency. Personally, I feel that a vaped-high is a lot "cleaner" than a burned high...a better chance to see the quality of your herb. People have also spoken of not getting the drowsy high commonly associated with burning herb.

In short, you get used to it, and, there's some different options as far as vapes go. Some vapes can grant you massive clouds of vapor (with the correct lighting, of course). Granted, that cuts into efficiency a lot. Keep in mind that blowing visible vapor, or smoke, for that matter is thc that could've been ingested....Still, taking a huge vape-rip from my Ehle and SSV/DIY wand is a load of fun. I started out only vaping once in a while, and eventually worked my way up until I didn't combust at all anymore. I just realized that I'd weened myself from smoking to vapor, and while I won't pass up a bowl or J if I'm at a party or gig, that's mostly so I don't offend the offer.

Well, that's what this site is here for, no? Had I not gotten a PD from a family member, I probably would've ended up getting some crappy Chinese knock off box-type vaporizer and probably not have gone vape-only. The other issue is that it can be hard to pick out the vape that's right for your usage. Unlike a new combustion piece (just add flame) each vaporizer style, much less model, has it's own pro's and con's.

We can't help make the decision for you personally as far as vapor v. smoke. Obviously, at this particular url, we prefer vaping. What this forum is great for is helping decide what kind of vaporizer you want. Most models have a thread for them, and have had a lot of issues cleared up. Find the unit that you like- read the thread- and you should be satisfied by whatever you get. I can't stress enough reading the thread of the unit first though. You'll pick up usage tips/tricks, maintenence issues, possible problems others are having...all great info when deciding to spend hard-earned-cash.

Sorry, long post, but I figured no one had really addressed these issues in depth. I'd thought along those same lines a year or so ago......
-w-

DrMephisto,
Top Bottom