1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Gear Slug .33 Rosin Forge

Discussion in 'Concentrates' started by lazylathe, Oct 20, 2017.

1. ClearBlueLou

ClearBlueLou unbearably light in the being....

G’day, Doc! I have the Fat Mac.

After all the sitting and scraping, I came up with a measurable yield: 0.053g, from 3.52g.
    Seepage was plentiful, a clear greenish gold, not at all burned, so I’m doing the ISO soak on my Slug again because I got tired of trying to scrape it all off by hand. Better to have MORE than LESS.

BornAgainSteama likes this.
  2. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

Do you really mean 0.053 or 0.53g? First one would be nearly nothing?

3. ClearBlueLou

Yes, 0.053...which is about 5% yield

4. BornAgainSteama

BornAgainSteama Well-Known Member

My first three runs were very small like you show. My problem was not enough heat. Examine your slugs, if they are soft and squishy you may need more heat.

If you are using the 'seep kit' you should not have seepage?

:2c:

Roth and ClearBlueLou like this.
  5. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

0.176g would be 5%, your amount is 1.51%...but I'm not so strong with maths

6. BornAgainSteama

Learning with the slug33 Fat Mac could be a real heart breaker should you fuck up. 3.6gm per run...ouch. I feel for you @ClearBlueLou

:peace:

7. Nattybushdoctor

Nattybushdoctor Well-Known Member Manufacturer

BRING THE HEAT!......Turn that torch up full blast. You can then subtract your heat time incrementally to find that sweet spot. In my opinion it's better to have a lot of rosin that may not taste the best but still gets you ripped rather than very little rosin and frustration. Ive never heated my fat mac for more than two minutes per side. Lack of Rosin is 99 percent because of not enough heat. And don't forget, after heating, GO SUPER SLOW to finish, until you've bottomed out all the way.

8. ClearBlueLou

Didn’t spring for the seep kit...figured that was/is part of the learning curve.
    Puck was hard and flat, neither soft nor squishy.

I agree, there’s something off about my heating.

I was thinking a 30% ideal yield would be 1g, so what I got is a twentieth of that.

Not great with math either, but I can climb around in it my own way...

It would hurt lots more, but we ran into this mystery nug for 100/z, so we got some. Just because, y’know.

Great advice, Doc. I like the idea of starting high and cutting it short, I’m generally quite conservative about these things, and I have a tendency to fail from insufficient push when I’m getting the feel for new tools and techniques. In this case, heat was a solid 2:10 on one side, and I noticed the seepage around the piston with 0:40 to go, and cut the heat. Then I noticed that the washer was missing, which is why I saw the seepage.

I had forgot to install the washer. I managed to remove the slug, remove the piston, install the washer, and reassemble the whole thing back on the presss, with a half-inch of travel left on the piston. In hindsight I see I should have heated the slug back up again, maybe a minute each side, but instead I gave it a little heat, more compression, more heat, more compression until the piston bottomed out.

I feel you on the super-slow part, maybe too much. An example of too slow is the fact that I usually seem to have a minute or more of pressing to do when the time’s up on the heat (half the length of the piston). I may not be compressing the cold load enough? I tighten it to where it feels firm and compact, but with more compression available, I don’t wind it tight.

About turning the torch up, this is how I’ve set fire to so much parchment lately. Much above where I have the Ion set, the flame splashes, it doesn’t ‘clean up’ like the blazer. With the blazer, I get a tidy jet of flame that I can pinpoint better. Even so, it’ll splash if I’m not careful.

I’ve watched your torch technique a bunch, and I’ve been unable to duplicate the torch setting I see you using. My approximation is a 2.5” jet, keeping the bright blue portion near but not right on the slug. I aim for a point about a quarter-inch below the top of the slug and I hold steady while the timer winds down.

Please feel free to pick apart anything and everything I’m doing, I only want to get this right.

-dab8- and BornAgainSteama like this.
  9. BornAgainSteama

@ClearBlueLou you need to order the seep kit especially that rosin was coming out of the ass or the mouth depending on your perspective.

:peace:

Nattybushdoctor likes this.
  10. ClearBlueLou

You find it makes that big a difference?

11. BornAgainSteama

how about zero seepage loss my friend -- a huge difference

12. ClearBlueLou

You make a very strong point, sir! :rockon:

13. BornAgainSteama

we gotta look out for our slug33 pals

:nod:

ClearBlueLou likes this.
  14. ClearBlueLou

The few, the curious, the enthusiastic!

15. Ramahs

Ramahs Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017

Just ordered my first Slug.33 (one-gram). What kind of ship times am I probably looking at within the US, 3-5 business days, a week maybe?

Now I need to figure out which press/vise I want to get.

ClearBlueLou and BornAgainSteama like this.
  16. BornAgainSteama

Congratulations! You will want one of the tilting vises if you can. It fits the routine perfectly.

ClearBlueLou likes this.
  17. ClearBlueLou

@Ramahs, If he mails it tomorrow with my seep kit, we should have them Monday or Tuesday.

Speaking of things, my tool set arrived today...
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4HDS25/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sorry I can’t grab a pic: this is a toolkit after my own heart. It has 3 each of two different forms of very nice spatulae, and two each of a rather medieval looking weapon and basic dabbers. But then, it’s unfair to call these ‘basic’. These are stainless steel, and are each of a singe piece, like dental instruments.

They have heft, they’re solid in the hand. The “basic dabber” makes my other dabbers look like, feel like toys. I may buy another set, for when these dabbers start to walk off....

These new silicone containers are made in China, they don’t feel squishy like other silicone containers, they’re stout and solid, and I’m quite sure these won’t come open in a pocket or whatever. I don’t know any way of checking them to verify platinum curing, but they DO feel very different from a zillion others. 5ml capacity, $0.50 each.

pxl_jockey and Nattybushdoctor like this.
  18. Ramahs

Yeah, I could have gotten the whole kit from Slug.33, and would've liked to if for anything but to support the company...but I'm still fairly poor at this point in my life, and have to cut corners where I can.

I found that same Dayton tilting press for $72 elsewhere, so I'll probably do that unless I come across a lower cost option with a different press elsewhere. Please forgive me @Nattybushdoctor :ugh:

Hells yeah. Monday or Tuesday would be nice :rockon::rockon::rockon:

I'd been meaning to order a similar toolset. I just ordered that one!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    ClearBlueLou likes this.
  19. Nattybushdoctor

The shoppers will save$$ on the vise's if they go around us, thats perfectly ok with us. We dont try to hide it and we will even recommend it if someone asks. We all need to save money, the most important thing to us is delivering a quality tool at a the most economical price, hence the lack of fancy packing/boxes stickers ect. Just glad to have you in the family! thank you for your business.

Roth, -dab8-, Ramahs and 1 other person like this.
  20. Nattybushdoctor

They will ship tomorrow. Thanks again

Roth, ClearBlueLou and Ramahs like this.
  21. Ramahs

Thanks. I'm awfully tempted to settle for something like a $20 press like the one I've seen in a few of your instructional videos.
    But then again, I worry that I'll just want to buy one of those tilting vices later.

22. ClearBlueLou

Cheers, I hope it serves you well! Don’t feel bad about pinching pennies, I’m fairly poor (again) at this time of my life, and I cut every corner I can without compromising the important things.

Buying my Slug was/is a real commitment for me, to taking cannabis seriously as medicine, to incorporating concentrates into my life, to making the best use of the medicine as I can - which I hope will lead to a growing opportunity. It’s a jump for an ancient stoner like me to make, but in some ways, I’ve always been that guy, not any different now.

I bought the tilting vise (Wen, from Amazon, I have a link a few pages ago) because I already knew that if I was going to start pressing, I was going to BE pressing, and that that would change everything. Finances dictated that I do something or get off the pot, so I went realistic, once, and I carry on from here.

-dab8- and Hogni like this.
  23. Ramahs

This one, right? I assume that you just have to swap the two plates out so the flat one is on the bottom?

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-434TV-4-...d=1536904455&sr=8-2&keywords=wen+tilting+vise

24. felon167inc

felon167inc Well-Known Member

I have had my slug deuce almost a week now

Had a few not so great runs and then got some really nice rosin, but not great yields - more like 5% than 15-30% as advertised

Today I finally got my best run and close to 20% yields

The rosin is nice and strong

Freeze the paper before removing rosin helps

slightly drier material helps

I had to heat my slug for almost 2 mins more than natty does in his videos to get results

I do have a different torch than the whip that comes with slug, but it is a good and hot one

It took me a while to get this down

But with a 2.55 - 3.10 mins heat time and very slow squish at end I get a really good yields

Also found using 2 g instead of 2.2 helps give better results and less blow out

I can see how ppl would be turned off this unit, but with practice it is quite a good little beast

I like the analogue side of it too

If you did not have much material to practice with and were not good with manual things you may get annoyed with this unit

But if you can judge things and work with the unit you will have great yields and lots of fun making rosin....

@Nattybushdoctor nice unit....do you think my heating time difference is the torch I use?

It is a good torch and has a large hot flame....

I like this unit

I think I would have bought a one gram unit first and then a fatmac if I had my choice again

small for quick single use

fatmac to make a few nice dab hits in one go

Anyway

I took a minute to play before reporting back and am now happy with my slug.....

I am unable to post pics here, but there are some of my latest yield on vaporasylum...

https://vaporasylum.com/attachments/20180914_220702-jpg.4860/

https://vaporasylum.com/attachments/20180914_220626-jpg.4861/

you should start a thread on there too natty...

EDIT: Reading comment above about vices....this was one of the first issues I had
    I got a small drill press bench vice....It looked similar to ones in earlier videos...But was no good...too small and you could not crank enough pressure easily

A bench vice is best - I have a one ton irwin bench vise.....this is perfect for the job and not too expensive
    nothing more is needed though, unless one wants for extra ease of loading

-dab8-, Ramahs and Nattybushdoctor like this.
  25. ClearBlueLou

Ramahs, felon167inc and Roth like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors