Gear Slug .33 Rosin Forge

steama

Sounds like you aren’t in the market, but did you ever look at that ditanium vaporizer I mentioned? Like a cross between a log vape and the flowerpot, you don’t need a glass rig, and it can also do both flower, concentrates, or both at the same time.
I did check it out. I think there is a huge market for the ditanium, however, I do not consider it in the flower pots league as far as capabilities. The Flower Pot systems are as good as it gets (please excuse my bias).

The ditanium reminds me of an enano for concentrates and it is one of the most attractive vapes I've seen. It would look very sexy on the desk.

:nod:

steama,
Reactions: -dab8-

Gonzo_Dabs

Thank you so much Mr. @Gonzo_Dabs for info on freezing rosin. Can't wait to try it. Any additional tips would be appreciated.

New Vape Flower Pot VROD best for dabs it is a desktop and works with almost any glass. New Vape also sells a portable Flower Pot setup but it is large like the real thing (it is the real thing with a battery) for a group or party. Looking at the prices for portable enails it seems to make even more sense to just get possibly the best vape set-up on the market...The Flower Pot.

Whatever your priorities are there is a vape for you.

Haha I'm not in the market for something like that. I just want a high quality quartz banger or dome or something like that.

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
Haha I'm not in the market for something like that. I just want a high quality quartz banger or dome or something like that.

Check out 710Coils. People have had nothing but good to say about them, and it's run by own of our own, @710Coils.

Been itching to press with my Slug again, ready to get back home!

Edit: with your Kraken avatar, and 710Coil's octopus, you're a match made in heaven!

710Coils

Manufacturer
Did someone say something about wanting a high quality banger....

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail

I also have 30mm versions of those sexy devils if you want something larger =)

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
If you were truly lazy you would use the method that is less work. You are a very hard worker. Also, if you are trying to save what ends up on the outside of the hot slug you are wasting your time, that does not taste good especially for such a small amount. It tastes like burnt rosin and is almost black when collected.

I get the impression you are trying to make ISO hash by saving the stuff on the outside of your plug through soaking in ISO. Personally, one of the main reasons to get into rosin is that it is solvent free which has a much better more comfortable high. I have made some 'very good' ISO as far as ISO goes it is complete shit compared to chemical free rosin.

Good luck buddy.

:peace:
I don’t actually have a thing for ISO, haven’t even had a bottle until recently. And I probably am a hard worker.... working with dabs / rosin is very different than anything I’ve done before, and I have habits that still cling to me. Most of them seem to be about not wasting, and using everything. I’m sure it will all shake out soon enough.

One limitation I operate under is having ALL of these activities relegated to one edge of a small table in the garage, so I’m kinda contrary where new things to find places for are concerned.

Doesn’t help that when I stay up so late my posts end up sounding like I need a nap....

Here is an image of my collection/cleanup kit...I use all of them (bic lighter not shown).

cleanupkit.jpg

edit: I am going to try freezing the rosin while it is on the parchment and see if I can get it to pop off.

:science:

Just ask @Nattybushdoctor about how to do this. I could be wrong but I believe it is mentioned earlier in this thread. I think they may be working on such a thing only larger.

:brow:
Thanks for showing me your tools! I have an artist’s palette knife I want to get, too. Reassured to see the broad blades!
21ajzoy.jpg

Freezing the rosin on the parchment works very well for me. I fold the paper on itself and squeeze right before freezing. When I separate the paper it usually sticks to one side and leaves a nice lump of rosin. I got another good run.l last night. I'm way less awkward the more I use it. I've done some really dumb things using this slug haha it's a whole new world for me.

I picked up a piece to try my rosin out but they sent the wrong one. I ordered the 7in Grav Circuit but received the 5.5. I do not like the nail it comes with and would appreciate any recommendations y'all have for a good quartz nail. I am new to dabs.
I’ll be trying your press’n’freeze sequence, thanks for the details.
I’ll second what Roth had to say, 710coils has some real nice bangers on site, just bought a 20mm with a frosted quartz bottom.

steama

I don’t actually have a thing for ISO, haven’t even had a bottle until recently. And I probably am a hard worker.... working with dabs / rosin is very different than anything I’ve done before, and I have habits that still cling to me. Most of them seem to be about not wasting, and using everything. I’m sure it will all shake out soon enough.

One limitation I operate under is having ALL of these activities relegated to one edge of a small table in the garage, so I’m kinda contrary where new things to find places for are concerned.

Doesn’t help that when I stay up so late my posts end up sounding like I need a nap....

Thanks for showing me your tools! I have an artist’s palette knife I want to get, too. Reassured to see the broad blades!

I’ll be trying your press’n’freeze sequence, thanks for the details.

I’ll second what Roth had to say, 710coils has some real nice bangers on site, just bought a 20mm with a frosted quartz bottom.
Please forgive me if I came off negatively. It was not my intention. Peace and respect @ClearBlueLou

:nod: :peace: :clap: :D :cool:

ClearBlueLou

Please forgive me if I came off negatively. It was not my intention. Peace and respect @ClearBlueLou

:nod: :peace: :clap: :D :cool:
We’re good, man...sometimes I think I sound more crotchety than I really am...no offense taken, we’re just friends sharing a hobby.

So tonight I weighed out 3.52g of that other batch, and this was much more moist and springy than the last two, which were both dense small buds. Tore it into little pieces, packed as much as I could, set up in the vise, and made room for the last joint’s-worth, replaced, press back down to what I think is the starting position, and heat. 2:20 on one side, ion dies, grab blazer, 2:20 on the other side, crank it down slowly, all the way...nothing. Including no seepage, so yay.

I’ve been reading the thread again, and I remembered about adding heat at this point, so I did. Ended up with 10%. Consistency of oil, but not clear this it, it has a green hue. The puck is a mess, it almost blew out in a couple places, and there’s another I-don’t-know-how-much oil pooled right around it in the press pit. This will go into the ghee as well.

ClearBlueLou,
Reactions: steama

710Coils

Manufacturer
@Gonzo_Dabs I only have 14mm and 10mm male. But can scoop a few for you in my next order. Shoot me a message if you want me to get you a few =)

Last edited:

steama

Stumbled upon a way to cool slugs a bit faster.

I was shopping for a platform to place the hot slug on at a thrift store and found a 6 x 6 inch copper stand that was once a candle holder. When I started using it noticed that is seemed my slugs were cooling fast on this copper surface. I have no doubt that the copper draws the heat from the slug so I am going for it and ordering a thicker copper plate 1/8" thick, 6" x 6". I will slide right into the copper stand...slick.

Common metals ranked by thermal conductivity
Rank
Metal Thermal Conductivity[BTU/(hr·ft⋅°F)]
1 Copper 223
2 Aluminum 118
3 Brass 64

:myday:

ClearBlueLou

I currently have 7g of forged cannabis in ONE TABLESPOON of ghee....

Until I get my skilz imma focus on maintaining the highest edible daily dose, so once I get the roz off the parchment, I’ll add it to the ghee as well. Should be a significant boost to the dose I’ve been on.

I’ll press again in a few days, after I’ve had a chance to think it through again. I think I’m going to practice with the blazer for now, I feel more confident of it, I like the flame better, seems more controlled / controllable.

Sorry to bore y’all with my minutia - carry on, I’ll still be here.

Gonzo_Dabs

My main issue now is handling and collecting the rosin. I got all the tools I need to smoke and vape it (with some drama from 420science.com). Now I need the stuff to handle/collect/store it all. Alot is wasted on the paper. I'm going to order a set of dab tools I found on Amazon. Lou you should check it out. It's like 40 bucks and it has a big silicon mat. Some silicon cups. Like 3 different dab tools with removable silicon tips. And a box. I would like to grab a rosin stamp as well and out it in the freezer and press with that. I'm going to try 50 seconds of heat next press to see if it will change the color.

I also just found out that Raw sells parchment paper. I love Raw so I'm down. I've been really concerned with the possibility of wax from the paper being scraped and mixed with the rosin.

Last edited:

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
In regards to collection, I prefer to take a hard ice pack or something similar out of the freezer, place the parchment directly on it an the rosin hardens right up allowing it to easily be picked from the parchment. I don't really do any long term storage, I prefer fresh squeezed.

ClearBlueLou

I was recently exposed to what could be called a dabbers’ convention, and I saw a vast array of tiny silicone containers, some larger ones...and absolutely NO ONE had a multi-compartment dabstash. Myself, I’m not looking to store anything long-term, but I want to do right by myself and my goods.

As I’m working with an eighth at a time, a 30% return - if I achieve it - will give me a solid gram, so I’m inclining toward smaller containers...and wondering, among other things, about how to keep track of them.

I have a large 8-pocket octagon, an 11ml lego cube, and that’s it. What are the rest of y’all using - and what do you wish you were using? How do you keep it all straight?

ClearBlueLou,
Reactions: steama

ClearBlueLou

Those both look more useful than my big one.
Are they actually pocket-size?

ClearBlueLou,

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I keep reading that silicone = bad for storing concentrates. Something about stuff leaching in/out of it. Everything I read keeps saying that glass is the only way to go. Because of that, I've only stored mine in those tiny glass jars that hold a gram or two.

Has this fear been shown to be bullshit, or what?

Ramahs,
Reactions: -dab8-

steama

In regards to collection, I prefer to take a hard ice pack or something similar out of the freezer, place the parchment directly on it an the rosin hardens right up allowing it to easily be picked from the parchment. I don't really do any long term storage, I prefer fresh squeezed.
Man, I just used this method two runs collected in under 5 minutes using @Nattybushdoctor method of an ice pack. Be sure to pluck gently or you can send frozen rosin flying, I lost two small piecces before I got the hang of things.

I keep reading that silicone = bad for storing concentrates. Something about stuff leaching in/out of it. Everything I read keeps saying that glass is the only way to go. Because of that, I've only stored mine in those tiny glass jars that hold a gram or two.

Has this fear been shown to be bullshit, or what?
The best advice from @Nattybushdoctor is not to store when fresh squeezed and the right amount for the moment so damn fast. I must admit it is tempting to just keep on making pucks.

Silicone absorbs and stains. I think it is a very poor choice if you plan on storing. I have heard of storing in glass syringes which sounds very good to me.

ClearBlueLou

I’ve just done a quick netscan, seems the only real issues with silicone is it should be medical grade, and that silicone containers aren’t airtight. Being lightproof and airtight are as usual, the big deals.

I’m not personally interested in *storage* per se, but I DO need places to put this stuff where nothing can happen to it...I feel real weird with sticky parchments laying around...it also seems that dabbers share their wax, so plenty of use for containers for general handling and transport. I’ve pressed 3 eighths real close together here. This will taper off as I develop the required knack, I’ll probably only do one more run out of my current stores, maybe tonight. The second and third squeezings are globbed together on a single parchment because I didn’t plan for this part (I thought I had, but I was wrong).

One thing I’ve run across has been a screw-top plastic box with a platinum-cured 5ml silicone cup insert. Another is a 5ml black glass child-proof screw-top containers.

Really: if you could have the perfect thing FOR YOU - what would it be?

===
In terms of my own use, I like silicone because it’s as close to an impervious surface as I can access. I have never failed to get all the goo off silicone with minimal effort. Parchment, not so much. If the physics worked out, I’d happily forge directly to a silicone pad, but I’m not sure the pad would remain sound after receiving the pressure of the vise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom