Shakedown Street

coolbreeze

Hi, I wanted to wish you all a very happy holiday season starting with this celebration of the Winter Solstice by Phil & Friends in 2004. It's been my Christmas season opener ever since, music so precious to me that I only listen to it once a year. It's not perfect, but it feels like a culmination of Phil's musical experience til then, an opus of sorts and and meditation on life's progression.

Here's the first of three shows. The theme is 'youth'. Hope the returning sun makes you feel reborn!
pf-041217-cdcover-hires-front-Copy.jpg

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
First time I noticed a GD thread. Here's a wonderful NYT article from a couple of years ago about perhaps my favorite Dead song, Dark Star. The article's author consulted with David Lemeiux, official archivist of the Dead, to compile a list of the twelve best Dead versions of the song. I've listened to 'em all and its great good fun--especially if one is stoned:).

If that doesn't work, here's the gift version which should: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/27/...e_code=1.FE0.Jdke.xdmtVWd__Ych&smid=url-share

vapviking

Old & In the Way
The first time I heard Dark Star was spring of 1970, Dead at Midnight at the Filmore East.
I barely knew who they were, this was my introduction. They were doing all the stuff from the Live Dead album and of course, more. I mean, who does St. Stephen and Second That Emotion in the same show?

I can say without hesitation that my awareness was expanded and consciousness was altered that night, by this music. Things just have not been the same since... :tup:

Mndeadhead

The first time I heard Dark Star was spring of 1970, Dead at Midnight at the Filmore East.
I barely knew who they were, this was my introduction. They were doing all the stuff from the Live Dead album and of course, more. I mean, who does St. Stephen and Second That Emotion in the same show?

I can say without hesitation that my awareness was expanded and consciousness was altered that night, by this music. Things just have not been the same since... :tup:
the first time i heard a Dark Star where I really got it was sometime in 95 or 96. They released Dick's Picks 2 and played the first set on the GD Hour. We were hanging out in my garage, listening to it through my car stereo. I was never a huge fan of the tune before that, and it still isn't on my go to list, but I have yet to hear one as jazzy and melodic as that one. Highly recommend checking it out.

Mndeadhead,

Mndeadhead

slow work day today, so giving Without a Net yet another spin. I know there are better shows our there, but i just love the way this one sounds. They did a great job on the mix. Always makes me smile. Without a Net may be a secluded island/5 records choice for me

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.

Dustin McKief

A dandy NYE run happened in 1979, really you can pick any show and find something to love. I can remember buying 12/26 (Dick's Picks 5) when it came out, which was a lotta moolah for me at the time! Still one of my top Picks.

Since it's the 28th, I'll recommend TIGDH here: LMA link to fixed SBD (also released as Road Trips: Vol 3, Number 1 if you have access; I do see it on Spotify).

Top Bottom