Scientists invent 'cannabis without the high'

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
What's next? Liver without the vitamins? :shrug:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/scientists-invent-cannabis-without-high-134435371.html

Israeli scientists have cultivated a cannabis plant that doesn't get people stoned in a development that may help those smoking marijuana for medical purposes, a newspaper said on Wednesday.
According to the Maariv daily, the new cannabis looks, smells and even tastes the same, but does not induce any of the feelings normally associated with smoking marijuana that are brought on by the substance THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol.
"It has the same scent, shape and taste as the original plant -- it's all the same -- but the numbing sensation that users are accustomed to has disappeared," said Tzahi Klein, head of development at Tikkun Olam, the firm that developed the species.
"Many of our patients who tried the new plant come back to us and say: 'You tricked me,'" because they assumed they had been given a placebo, he said.
According to Maariv, Tikkun Olam sought to neutralise the effect of the THC and to increase the effect of another substance called CBD, or cannabidiol, which has been shown to help diabetics and to ease various psychiatric disorders.
Not only does it leave users stone-cold sober, it also doesn't induce the munchies, the hunger pangs that the drug's smokers generally suffer.
Despite the innovation, it is unlikely to have any impact on Israeli law, which outlaws the use of marijuana as illegal except for medical purposes.
According to figures published earlier this year by Sheba Medical Centre and the Israel Cancer Association, medical marijuana has been approved for use by about 6,000 Israelis suffering from various illnesses.

Stu,
Reactions: Vicki

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
i thought that "cannabis without the high" was called Hemp....

According to Maariv, Tikkun Olam sought to neutralise the effect of the THC and to increase the effect of another substance called CBD, or cannabidiol, which has been shown to help diabetics and to ease various psychiatric disorders.

i have heard that qwiso made from abv has plenty of cbd's contain within it, and i have also heard that it can contain quite the medicinal punch. why would the patients who tried the thc neutralised plants not feel the effects of the cbd's?

notmyrealUSERname,
Reactions: SalamiCity

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
why would the patients who tried the thc neutralised plants not feel the effects of the cbd's?
What makes you say that?

Also, All those things that they "developed" out of the plant are also useful medicinal effects.
My understanding was that "the munchies" were actually a very desired effect among cancer patients and others with suppressed appetites.

It was also my understanding that the various cannabinoids have various synergistic effects with each other...

Seriously, whats wrong with a little euphoria?
Let us have the THC:horse:

Frederick McGuire,

max

Out to lunch
Hemp is also without any benefits for medical users. Since this new strain/type/whatever you wanna call it is still a plant, and not something that big pharma can make a buck on, you can bet that any and all authorities will be labeling it as 'bad', right along with the traditional weed that gets you high. They'll still find a way to classify it as something that 'impairs' the user, and therefore should be illegal. :\

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
What makes you say that?

the article states that, "Many of our patients who tried the new plant come back to us and say: 'You tricked me,'" because they assumed they had been given a placebo, he said".

if the patients are thinking they have been given a placebo then it follows that they didn't feel any effects period. a placebo is a medically ineffectual treatment for a disease, so if the patients didn't notice a difference in how they felt between before they smoked, and after, then its safe to assume they didn't feel those cbd's.

furthermore, the article also states "Not only does it leave users stone-cold sober, it also doesn't induce the munchies, the hunger pangs that the drug's smokers generally suffer".
the term "stone-cold sober" means that the patients didn't feel anything!

so in the end the question becomes - were the patients given hemp? if not, then why develop a strain of cannabis without any medicinal effects at all, or is it just that the strain they developed doesn't work as intended? what was their control? have they tried extracting cbd's from 'normal' thc laden cannabis - how effective is it? how exactly do cbd's help those with diabetes?

there is not enough info in this article for it to be anything other than a conversation starter.

Frederick; i agree with you that cannabis can help those with appetite issues, however, the article was focusing on diabetes and "various psychiatric disorders". diabetics can't afford to just give in to the muchies whenever they want.

notmyrealUSERname,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I read that line as "I felt the pain relief, but didn't get high, therefore, it must've been a placebo, therefore you tricked me."
but I can see your interpretation too.
I disagree about stone cold sober meaning no effects though.
It means no THC effects.
They are claiming to get the medicinal effects from CBD without the high from THC.
(like pain relef for example)

I didn't think the study was focusing on diabetics and those with psychiatric disorders, that seemed more like a general example of things that CBD can help with...

I guess my point on the THC thing was that it is still a valuable medicine in its own right...
Who gives a crap if it makes you feel happy, it actually helps things, don't just get rid of it because of ignorant views on MJ...
It sounded to me like they were saying "we took THC, the dangerous recreational drug part out, leaving only the good medicine parts".
not "some patients arent suited to this part of the medicine, so we took it out"

:2c:

Frederick McGuire,

Venomous

There's people out there who don't want the high though. I see nothing wrong with it unless the local gov get involved and figure out a way to make the strain the only one allowed through mmj distribution. They will try to argue that if you need mmj, you only need the medicinal benefit, not the associated high.

Venomous,
Reactions: Peloton

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Humans and animals both feel tactile pain, however, functional MRI shows that humans process pain as both a sensation and as an emotion. The "high" is part of the therapy. It helps ease a lifetime of pains . . . And how anyone could write an article with the idea that the "munchies" are bad, well, it reminds me of the gizmodo "review" of the DaVinci. The author obviously had no clue . . .

t-dub,
Reactions: 945

ll11

Good point about how appetite stimulation is a very important part of the medication for many. I thought the antidepressant effects came from THC as well.

Venomous

Good point about how appetite stimulation is a very important part of the medication for many. I thought the antidepressant effects came from THC as well.

Well Katt Williams did say... Go smoke some fuck it!

I'm a lot happier after medicating, so I believe the anti depressant part.

Venomous,

JEKLIS

Regardless of the chemical content of the plant, I'm sure it will stay illegal in the US. One of the main reasons that Cannabis (thc strains, and hemp) is illegal is because the plant could single handedly replace ALL PETROLEUM BYPRODUCts on the planet, including gasoline and plastics in bottles. This is more of a high powered, big bucks issue that we can't hope to change unless we are the ones with the bucks. It seems money really is the root of all evil, but at least when the idiots destroy their land and kill themselves, we will have something to plant and rebuild this earth.

JEKLIS,
Reactions: KeroZen

Venomous

Regardless of the chemical content of the plant, I'm sure it will stay illegal in the US. One of the main reasons that Cannabis (thc strains, and hemp) is illegal is because the plant could single handedly replace ALL PETROLEUM BYPRODUCts on the planet, including gasoline and plastics in bottles. This is more of a high powered, big bucks issue that we can't hope to change unless we are the ones with the bucks. It seems money really is the root of all evil, but at least when the idiots destroy their land and kill themselves, we will have something to plant and rebuild this earth.

Looks around... Ummm corn already does this.

Venomous,

Venomous

To use ethanol you need different o rings and seals. People forget its pure alcohol. Also, it's stoich is half of gasoline, around 7:1 compared to 14:7:1. So you will use 2-3x as much to do the same amount of work. It does however have higher octane, adds a cooling charge to the combustion chamber and burns clean.

Venomous,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
To use ethanol you need different o rings and seals. People forget its pure alcohol. Also, it's stoich is half of gasoline, around 7:1 compared to 14:7:1. So you will use 2-3x as much to do the same amount of work. It does however have higher octane, adds a cooling charge to the combustion chamber and burns clean.

We don't get to manufacture our own engines, and they are forcing Ethanol on everyone. No choice, and ruining engines. :(

Vicki,

SalamiCity

i have heard that qwiso made from abv has plenty of cbd's contain within it, and i have also heard that it can contain quite the medicinal punch. why would the patients who tried the thc neutralised plants not feel the effects of the cbd's?
I was just going to say that it's called hemp LOL.

SalamiCity,

Venomous

We don't get to manufacture our own engines, and they are forcing Ethanol on everyone. No choice, and ruining engines.

Do you live in a corn state? The purpose for ethanol was it is a byproduct of the crop to reduce the fuel costs for farming equipment. Manf fractures are going to have to build engine to run this fuel in the future. At least cars for the most part can run it without to bad of an effect mixed with gasoline. Running it straight brings a whole new list of problems however.

Venomous,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Do you live in a corn state? The purpose for ethanol was it is a byproduct of the crop to reduce the fuel costs for farming equipment. Manf fractures are going to have to build engine to run this fuel in the future. At least cars for the most part can run it without to bad of an effect mixed with gasoline. Running it straight brings a whole new list of problems however.

No, I don't, and it doesn't matter. I despise to be forced to do anything. I disagree that it's "not too bad of an effect" since it killed our last lawnmower, and I know it's not good for our car's engines either. We shouldn't be forced to use a product that slowly destroys our property. It's crap, and it's also bullshit to expect manufacturers to make engines to support this crap too.

Vicki,

JEKLIS

Looks around... Ummm corn already does this.
Unrefined hemp oil can be used in a diesel engine which was originally made to run on bio diesel. Corn is an extremely inefficeint way to create ethanol and it sucks the soil dry of all nutrients. The reason we use corn as the main source of fuel and food is becuase big companies like Monsanto own the GMO corn that is planted almost everywhere. Once again, money is the reason we are using an inferior method of fuel. Watering down our gasoline with ethanol is just a trick to make more money and try to make us feel better about using petro.

Venomous

Unrefined hemp oil can be used in a diesel engine which was originally made to run on bio diesel. Corn is an extremely inefficeint way to create ethanol and it sucks the soil dry of all nutrients. The reason we use corn as the main source of fuel and food is becuase big companies like Monsanto own the GMO corn that is planted almost everywhere. Once again, money is the reason we are using an inferior method of fuel. Watering down our gasoline with ethanol is just a trick to make more money and try to make us feel better about using petro.

I'm not sure what part of the US you reside in, but here in ca, they banned the chemical used to increase octane (mtbe)in the 80s by 1992 and we began seeing 91 octane. Then the sneaky bastards would begin mixing 20% ethanol with the gasoline during the late fall until spring claiming to produce less hydrocarbons. They would raise the fuel price up nearly 10 cents because of it and your car was drinking more of it because it burns faster, not necessarily cleaner.

The oil companies figured out quickly they got a 40% return off each gallon going this route. They eventually made it a full time fuel here. They learned this trick by Arco, who in 1989 was selling gas 15% less per gallon than chevron, union 76 and Mobil. When oil prices sored out of control during the first gulf war in 1990, Arco was only charging $1.00 per gallon for 92 octane back then, where 76 being the most expensive at 1.27 a gallon and chevron about 1.17 a gallon. The ethanol trick gave consumers watered down gasoline reaping major profits for Arco.

Now the average guy is probably not concerned by this type of fuel... Until you own a high performance car. Moreso if you have a turbocharger or supercharged engine. Detonation city baby.

Biofuel is good stuff but I find it amazing in the USA, people aren't so quick to adopt diesel powered cars... Or it could be the oil companies preventing it. Us as normal people will never know the truth unfortunately. I remember when diesel fuel in 2001 was less than $1.00 a gallon here... That is until all the taxes got jacked up on it... Ca taxed the shit out of it , not concerned what it would do to the commerce industry such as trucking. Consumers were only using about 5% of the total diesel sales a week.

Venomous,
Reactions: JEKLIS

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
There's people out there who don't want the high though. I see nothing wrong with it unless the local gov get involved and figure out a way to make the strain the only one allowed through mmj distribution. They will try to argue that if you need mmj, you only need the medicinal benefit, not the associated high.

You can pretty much book that reaction from governments.

Something I was wondering. Since when is munchies for chemo patients or others that face frequent nausea, a drawback?

Oh, I bet the older brother on American Weed is pissed, right about now. This was THE project, he was dumping all of his money into, instead of a contingency plan, for when half his dispensaries were shut down.

BigDaddyVapor,
Reactions: Vicki

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
You can pretty much book that reaction from governments.

Something I was wondering. Since when is munchies for chemo patients or others that face frequent nausea, a drawback?

Oh, I bet the older brother on American Weed is pissed, right about now. This was THE project, he was dumping all of his money into, instead of a contingency plan, for when half his dispensaries were shut down.

I've been watching American Weed as well. I know which brother you are talking about, and I like him. :)

Vicki,
Reactions: t-dub

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I liked him as well, he seemed nice, but then he kinda went off the deep end after they lost the vote in Ft. Collins . . .

Yeah, I saw that. I felt so sorry for him, and his brothers.

That mayor was a big fat jerk! I bet he believes propaganda all day long....

Vicki,
Top Bottom