Runner's High Hardwired in People—And Dogs

luchiano

This shows how cardio(running or riding a bike with a little resistance) helps with lowering tolerance, it just states it in a different way. It states running moderately to intesensely releases anandamide(bodies own thc) and causes the runners high. If you are always releasing this chemical and metabolizing it you will become sensitive to it because your body is used to it and when you puff you will get a nice high because the receptors are in abundance and sensitive. The only thing is you need to eat good fat containing foods(nuts/seeds) daily, specifically in the morning because it takes a while to break down, so you can make more anandamide as it is fat soluble and made from fats.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/05/120510-runners-high-evolution-people-dogs-science/

Runner's High Hardwired in People—And Dogs

"People are wired to run, according to a new study that looked at the roots of the pleasurable sensation known as runner's high.
Experienced during moderate to intense aerobic exercise, runner's high occurs when natural chemicals called endocannabinoids activate the part of the brain associated with "feeling good," said study co-author Greg Gerdeman.
"Endocannabinoids are molecules that are often referred to as the body's own marijuana-like substances, because they activate similar cellular receptors," said Gerdeman, a biologist at Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Florida."

BTW, Biochanin A is a natural inhibitor of the enzyme that breaks down anandamide and it is found in peanuts, red clover, soy and alfafa sprouts, chickpeas and other beans/legumes which is probably why I found I need herb less after beans became a major part of my diet. When Biochanin A is demethylated by gut bacteria it is converted to Genistein which inhibits anandamide uptake and breakdown. Beans are high in soluble fiber which gut bacteria love. Now it's all starting to make sense to me. I'm going to see if I can found some other inhibitors. I suspect some essential oils are which is why the odor of some herb helps intensify the high.

Jurassic

Wow, that's awesome Luch. I know we chatted about this in the other thread, but i'm a running/bodybuilder/bikram yogi and it definitely doesn't seem to help my tolerance, which I think is mostly contingent on dosage amount and time lapse between dosages (even bigger factor).

I'm starting the nuts/seeds first thing in the morning, in addition to your black/green tea recommendations pre and during workout, so thanks again for your expertise!

Jurassic,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
@luchiano - thanks for that link.

Also, do you think there is any validity to the blood type diet? (4yourtype.com)

Hippie Dickie,

Jurassic

lol ^^^^^ not a chance! Read the book, and some similar, and did much independent research into it. Scam in my opinion.

Jurassic,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
thanks. i feel like my body is missing something ... maybe a mineral ... think i might try the mineral mix for A blood type to see if it helps.

Hippie Dickie,

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
Sweet! That would help explain why I've never had a tolerance problem :brow:

Vapinghole,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I prefer endorphins to endocannabinoids, but we can't always get our way ;)

Too bad my Marfan really makes my joints sore. I dream of running and running and forgetting about the concept of time and just running along beaches and mountains.

Quetzalcoatl,

luchiano

@luchiano - thanks for that link.

Also, do you think there is any validity to the blood type diet? (4yourtype.com)

I don't think so but it may work for people who have an allergy to something and help them figure out what is causing a problem due to them cutting certain things out.

What do you eat for breakfast?.

Also, if you feel you're low in minerals everyday saute some greens in coconut oil and see if this helps you feel better. You can go to Mercola.com to see their coconut oil or gnc.com

It may be that you might just need to adjust your protein scheduling and eat most of it during the day and less during the night. That's why I ask what do you eat for breakfast.

luchiano,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
I don't think so but it may work for people who have an allergy to something and help them figure out what is causing a problem due to them cutting certain things out.

What do you eat for breakfast?.

Also, if you feel you're low in minerals everyday saute some greens in coconut oil and see if this helps you feel better. You can go to Mercola.com to see their coconut oil or gnc.com

It may be that you might just need to adjust your protein scheduling and eat most of it during the day and less during the night. That's why I ask what do you eat for breakfast.

breakfast: coffee, pastry, 3 pieces of seasonal fruit, often a hard boiled egg.

i do 30 minutes on the NordicTrack as soon as i get up, before any food. then a wake 'n bake. a bit of body weight exercise and stretches. then breakfast.

lunch is usually 3 to 6 oz of nuts: cashews, almonds, pecans, pistacios, hazelnuts and walnuts, with a little dried fruit - raisins, cranberries, cherries, pineapple.

a couple of glasses of Merlot before dinner.

dinner is brown rice, steamed veggies. alternate with stir fry veggies with rice. alternate with chef salad. plus a little meat (3 to 4 oz): chicken, beef, fish.

i'm 64 and no joint or back pain, thankfully -- genetically lucky. but i feel like i'm getting slower, lacking the drive/motivation i used to have. i maintain 175 lbs @ 6'3".

maybe i'm imagining the drive/motivation thing ... i describe myself as a lowly motivated over achiever.

Hippie Dickie,

luchiano

breakfast: coffee, pastry, 3 pieces of seasonal fruit, often a hard boiled egg.

i do 30 minutes on the NordicTrack as soon as i get up, before any food. then a wake 'n bake. a bit of body weight exercise and stretches. then breakfast.

lunch is usually 3 to 6 oz of nuts: cashews, almonds, pecans, pistacios, hazelnuts and walnuts, with a little dried fruit - raisins, cranberries, cherries, pineapple.

a couple of glasses of Merlot before dinner.

dinner is brown rice, steamed veggies. alternate with stir fry veggies with rice. alternate with chef salad. plus a little meat (3 to 4 oz): chicken, beef, fish.

i'm 64 and no joint or back pain, thankfully -- genetically lucky. but i feel like i'm getting slower, lacking the drive/motivation i used to have. i maintain 175 lbs @ 6'3".

maybe i'm imagining the drive/motivation thing ... i describe myself as a lowly motivated over achiever.

It sounds like you are burning more protein then you take in due to you exercising before you eat and your breakfast being low in protein and fats. I think you should switch your lunch meal to be your breakfast and your dinner meal to be your lunch. Also, drink the coffee 20-30 minutes before you work out as it helps rev you up as well as get your metabolism going for the rest of the day along with the exercise.

Your dinner should be your breakfast meal or just keep the dinner it as already. Your breakfast meal should be a snack throughout the day as it is good to keep your metabolism going. I hope I'm not confusing you.

Try to drink some home brewed tea through the day as this will help keep your dopamine levels good. You can make it fresh or just make a batch all at once and drink it cold later on.

This is off topic but I just got through riding my stationary bike and I noticed that I was able to go much faster than normal if I focused on squeezing my abdominal muscles instead of my legs and was able to go really fast for 15-30 seconds then slow back down and do it again every two minutes. It gave me a good workout.

I also noticed I felt the runners high more after I took a nice, warm shower and I started thinking maybe the reason why you get the runners high is because more blood is flowing to the skin and the skin can signal to the brain to make a lot of Anandamide being that it is the largest organ. On the plant Cannabinoids reside in the trichome which is kind of like the skin of the plant as it help protect it from all the elements as well as predators just like our SKIN. I'm going to see if I can learn more about skin and endocannabinoids as well as aerobic exercise and skin blood flow.

weedemon

enthusiast
right on dude ! thanks for sharing!

I have to say I feel pretty good after working out. :)

weedemon,
Top Bottom