Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

herbivore21

You have a picture of the pink rosin? You know some say: without a picture it did not happen hihi

Keep it coming...
lol sadly no pic for that one, but I have to still give that material another few squishes before it'll be spent (only squished it once yet) so hopefully I'll get more of the same :D

The rosin I get from my own bubble hashes is significant! 60-85% return squishes are a lot of fun! :D 4 stars go straight in for a squish these days!

I tried my hand at dry ice hash last night, used some shake but really overly pulverized the material with not enough dry ice at some times and far too rough shaking and ended up with hash that barely squished anything out, not even a dab (seriously better off squishing nugs). Bubble from the same shake was 4 star that made the above shatter!!!

I need to refine my tek and quickly, this dry ice is sublimating rapidly as I deliberate lol

2clicker

Observer
my build will be finished tonight hopefully. pics to come!

big setback. the drill press and machine vise setup i thought i was going to be able to use was a small desktop drill press with not a lot of power and a bench vise just setup below it. needless to say it did not work out that well. took about 25 minutes to get through about a 1/2" of SS. and i need the holes drilled through 3-3/4" of SS.

so now ive got plates that still need holes and no resources to get them drilled. unless i contact a machine shop. shit. i was hoping to be smashing at this point. if i go to a machine shop i might as well just have them make the entire plates for me. that or order some cuni plates from joel...

worst part is that im all out of errl. ive got some flowers, but nothing to smash them. so until i get this press ready to go im w/out errl. first world problems! :goon:

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
I feel ya @2clicker , Drilling through stainless steel is a huge pain in the ass. Hardware store drill bits are junk and if you can find one that will get a good chip cutting, you need lots of lube so it won't get hot. Try and keep it cutting a chip at low rpms. Once it gets hot, the stainless steel will harden and it will just take out any new drill bits. I have scrapped lots of stainless steel jobs for this reason.

Happy to help you, if I can. ;)

Last edited:

2clicker

Observer
I feel ya @2clicker , Drilling through stainless steel is a huge pain in the ass. Hardware store drill bits are junk and if you can find one that will get a good chip cutting, you need lots of lube so it won't get hot. Try and keep it cutting a chip at low rpms. Once it gets hot, the stainless steel will harden and it will just take out any new drill bits. I have scrapped lots of stainless steel jobs for this reason.

Happy to help you, if I can. ;)

well i got some cobalt bits of which are good for SS and they seem to be performing great. i just slapped one of my plates into a vise and home and threw the cobalt bit onto my new milwaukee cordless driver/hammer drill and continued with the hole we started yesterday. i was making MUCH better progress than my buddies drill press. i had about an inch to go and then the jb weld failed and they split open (my plates are made from stacked 1/8" SS sheets). i did not even think that drilling the SS would heat it past jb welds limit. clearly that is what happened. so now im back to the drawing board for my plates. if i can get some 1/4" keystock locally today i should be in business to squish tomorrow. if not then joel ill be ordering some cuni plates.

No local thrift store? Around me they usually have hair irons, several to choose from for about $4-5 each. When I first started I had a $17 Revlon Perfect Heat and it served me really well, at least get you some oil until something better comes up?

thanks for the suggestion partner. ill be ok w/out errl until i get this figured. i can always get a gram or two from a friend if i really need to. flowers should be ok until im joining the fun here.

killick

But I like it!
You need to start with a very small pilot hole, go slow, and bump up a size each pass. SLOW. And use a bit of machine oil to help keep things cool and to carry your chips away, a drop or two every couple of seconds or so. Go slow, with small increases in size for each pass, and be patient, or you'll be tossing a whole bunch of bits - once they smoke they aren't much good anymore...

All this is recalled from a bunch of days installing medical equipment on a ship. They use a lot of SS, and I tossed a lot of bits over the side...

herbivore21

Cluster Bomb Dry Ice Sift Rosin!!! :D

gIfG0Lf.jpg

Lol apologies that there is a small amount, dabbed it all up in short order before I could get some happy snaps :p

This stuff is on point. The smell opening the jar of dry sift is outstanding! Tastes very similar to flower rosin from the same material, less the planty taste. Doesn't accentuate the creaminess in the same way that bubble from the same material does.

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
Awesome color @herbivore21 .

I accidentally broke an early nug off a plant in my clumsiness and immediately squished it. There was so much moisture/foam, I had to wait a few days before collection. The color was similar to that or lighter once dry.

For live rosin, how long should one cure before squishing? Right off the plant seems too soon. Lol

Maybe it's better with mature/fresh nugs?

shark sandwich

"shit sandwich"
Accessory Maker
@Joel W.

Nobody has done tests to determine what an ideal moisture content for pressing might be. I've pressed both too wet and too dry, and would say ideal is somewhere between 62 and 100 percent humidity.

I've also been thinking about how to best prepare fresh material for pressing. I think a good method would be to hang the mature harvest as normal, but instead of letting it dry thoroughly, periodically test press buds until you are happy with the results. At this humidity level the flowers will be too moist to jar up, so material prepared this way will need to either be pressed immediately or bagged and frozen.

If you press the harvest all at once, you can wrap slabs in parchment then vacuum seal and freeze for long term storage.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Awesome color @herbivore21 .

I accidentally broke an early nug off a plant in my clumsiness and immediately squished it. There was so much moisture/foam, I had to wait a few days before collection. The color was similar to that or lighter once dry.

For live rosin, how long should one cure before squishing? Right off the plant seems too soon. Lol

Maybe it's better with mature/fresh nugs?
I've pressed small-ish nugs at 3 days... you just need to wrap it up in some sort of filter, the wetter the material is the more it likes to spread during the actual hot squishing bit.

2clicker

Observer
You need to start with a very small pilot hole, go slow, and bump up a size each pass. SLOW. And use a bit of machine oil to help keep things cool and to carry your chips away, a drop or two every couple of seconds or so. Go slow, with small increases in size for each pass, and be patient, or you'll be tossing a whole bunch of bits - once they smoke they aren't much good anymore...

All this is recalled from a bunch of days installing medical equipment on a ship. They use a lot of SS, and I tossed a lot of bits over the side...

i think ive ditched the SS and im going with aluminum. 1/2" thick, 1-1/2" wide, 3-3/4" length. shouldnt have much trouble putting a cobalt bit through aluminum i wouldnt think...? now i just need to ensure the holes is drilled down the center.

hopefully done this week for fucks sake!

Last edited:

farscaper

so I know we have talked about this some and many really wanna know which is better worse or whatever...

so heres a shot of samples from same strain at same temp. the outer pressings were pre-compressed with the tool below which is a dowel rod and copper tube.

for those just tuning in... you pack one end and hit the other with a hammer to form a puck...

so the outside squishes were pre compressed and the middle on was just pressed as a bud with no modification other than breaking bits off to get it small enough to fit my 1" wide plates.

I think it speaks for itself in that you get more contamination from broken up buds.

however if you're trying to press some shake or leaves... it makes it much easier to pre compress it...

also temps were not the low low... it was around 240F which is about 20° higher than I like but.... oh well.
12132872_1514491488871764_864681701_n.jpg

2clicker

Observer
Bubbleman's getting into the rosin bag game, probably overpriced but hey...

do most use screens/filters when squishing? is it def needed when smashing flowers? does the moisture content determine whether you need to bag it or not?

so I know we have talked about this some and many really wanna know which is better worse or whatever...

so heres a shot of samples from same strain at same temp. the outer pressings were pre-compressed with the tool below which is a dowel rod and copper tube.

for those just tuning in... you pack one end and hit the other with a hammer to form a puck...

so the outside squishes were pre compressed and the middle on was just pressed as a bud with no modification other than breaking bits off to get it small enough to fit my 1" wide plates.

I think it speaks for itself in that you get more contamination from broken up buds.

however if you're trying to press some shake or leaves... it makes it much easier to pre compress it...

also temps were not the low low... it was around 240F which is about 20° higher than I like but.... oh well.
12132872_1514491488871764_864681701_n.jpg

good shit bruh! when you say "broken up buds" you mean pre smashed right? it makes me wonder why its dif whether you pre smash or not. its getting smashed both ways. why does a pre smash make a dif?

also what strain is that? looks like a nice return.

farscaper

do most use screens/filters when squishing? is it def needed when smashing flowers? does the moisture content determine whether you need to bag it or not?

good shit bruh! when you say "broken up buds" you mean pre smashed right? it makes me wonder why its dif whether you pre smash or not. its getting smashed both ways. why does a pre smash make a dif?

also what strain is that? looks like a nice return.

I guess I should have said pre compressed buds as opposed to broke up cause it ends up a little darker whether its was just 1 big bud compressed in a tube or if it is a bunch of little buds compressed in a tube.

this particular round just happened to be a bunch of little popcorn buds than were in the bottom of the jar. it was bricked together at one point. for storage experimentation reasons. but was high quality buds.

I think the act of pre compressing it just compromises the cell structures of the plant material to the point if any chlorophyll is still active it will seep into the extract... although I dont really taste it like I did with the ground up buds when squished.

all lavender strain too so it smells like lavender oil and weed. lol

GuyLeDuche

^ "Eat a bag of Dick's!"

I've never used a screen with flower, just toss the bud in the crease of parchment and go :) I've wondered if it would keep the oil a little cleaner as far as plant wax and other junk, but never tried yet..

2clicker

Observer
I guess I should have said pre compressed buds as opposed to broke up cause it ends up a little darker whether its was just 1 big bud compressed in a tube or if it is a bunch of little buds compressed in a tube.

this particular round just happened to be a bunch of little popcorn buds than were in the bottom of the jar. it was bricked together at one point. for storage experimentation reasons. but was high quality buds.

I think the act of pre compressing it just compromises the cell structures of the plant material to the point if any chlorophyll is still active it will seep into the extract... although I dont really taste it like I did with the ground up buds when squished.

all lavender strain too so it smells like lavender oil and weed. lol

gotcha!

I've never used a screen with flower, just toss the bud in the crease of parchment and go :) I've wondered if it would keep the oil a little cleaner as far as plant wax and other junk, but never tried yet..

10-4 good buddy.

more questions for all rosinators out there...

what about folding the parchment on both sides of the puck (parallel creases). essentially creating a flat tube of parchment. that way you can stick the open ends out of the press. in theory this will push the rosin out of the press. from what i can tell the rosin does not collect in the creases. so if its creased in the way explained above then it should push the rosin out both sides of the press plates and leave very little in the creases. this may or may not make sense. if i wasnt at work id draw up an example.

also, regarding the bavoda humidor pack stuff... how does one measure the moisture content in herb? or is that done by pressing the flowers and seeing what happens?

i have new aluminum plates cut! just need the holes drilled. i have a feeling that aluminum is going to be a much better choice than SS.

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I don't press my nugs into pucks but I do have a piece of parchment paper I use to kinda roll it up if it's not pretty dense nug, just to give it the shape. I get the tiniest amounts of particulates without a mesh screen, easily removed, and not enough to warrant screens. I'm not sure re: boveda packets and humidity... I assume you'd need to use some fancy lab equipment to get actual numbers the as long as you keep your weed + boveda in an airtight container for long enough the relative humidity reaches equilibrium as designated by the actual packet. Honestly I don't do any of that. Shit, this picture is live resin/rosin, from nugs 3-4 days off the plant. Thank god for the hot days because it wouldn't have dried so fast otherwise, I tried one at 2 days and it sizzled hard and a bunch of water/fizzy oil came out the sides and I couldn't collect it for a day or two once all the moisture evaporated. Interestingly enough I've still got a nickel-sized piece of this live rosin that hasn't buttered yet. You'd think with the water content from 3-4 days air dry bud would start to budder it up but it didn't happen. Just kept it in between folded parchment on my desk away from direct light, window less than 3 feet from it. And yes, I did see the little thing sticking out of the left size, but I removed it and then got a dab and was too lazy to take another picture of it without it lol. Trichs were like 50-70% amber depending on which buds you looked at.

tFm7gyP.png

Top Bottom