Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

2clicker

Observer
anyone tried super low temp pressing...

under vacuum?
:cool:

great... my build just went up in price. btw all i need now is to drill the holes in my plates and get a power cord to wire to my heaters. hopefully will be squishing this weekend.

Either way it seems like those milling vises have WAYYYYYY more pressure which would allow for lower temp presses. I'll be going the milling vise route unless my math is very wrong :tup:

are we sure that more pressure definitely equals more return? or easier return?

i really like the idea of a conforming plate like @shark sandwich spoke about. hits the center first and then pushes the oil away as it conforms. seems like a winner, but how can this be achieved without heating a baseball in the oven? lol

shark sandwich

"shit sandwich"
Accessory Maker
are we sure that more pressure definitely equals more return? or easier return?

It was discussed earlier in the thread, and I think the consensus was that about 6,000psi is enough to get the best returns with the lowest possible temperatures.

Concerning @farscaper's vacuum question, pressing under vacuum would increase the amount of yield lost due to evaporation. @Joel W. has measured and quantified this loss- nearly 10% of the original weight, and that's at normal air pressure!

Terpenes and even thc will boil and evaporate at room temperature under vacuum. If we're at temperatures where actives are already boiling off, and we apply a vacuum, the loss will increase significantly. It would be interesting to use either a pressurized environment, or chilled collection sheets try to minimize that 10 percent loss. If joel is getting 10 percent loss and 20 percent returns, that means 30 percent should be achievable when the loss problem is solved.

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
If joel is getting 10 percent loss and 20 percent returns, that means 30 percent should be achievable when the loss problem is solved.

I had made the assumption that the evaporation was water moisture. Perhaps it is a poor assumption but it seems to make sense.

Edit: pressing below 212f may solve this but my yield suck at lower temps as I again think steam helps liquefy and move rosin.

I can see bubbles of gas working through the parchment that I assume is steam

Last edited:

simpleasthcis

... As a box of ....
Perhaps a cap/hat press .? I considered one a while ago (local classified add) the top plate is concave and heated, then imbed a hair press element in the centre of
The convex . So your left with a hot strip as mentioned above this could be floating as it was as a hair iron .? Rosin will escape down hill away from the hot lid. :2c:;)

shark sandwich

"shit sandwich"
Accessory Maker
@Joel W.

Some of the loss may be water, but I'd guess more is made up of volatile terpenes. Some terpenes boil off at room temperature, and many will boil before water. These volatiles aren't just boiled off sooner, they are also less likely to re-condense where they can be collected.

I agree the steam action is necessary for an effective bud press, and imagine there is some water present in all flower rosin. If we were able to press without loss, both terpenes and water content would increase to some degree.

I think lossless rosin would have a negligible water content increase, and a significant terpene content increase. The only way to find out for sure is to try.

Last edited:

2clicker

Observer
i should probably know this, but what temp seems to be ideal at this point and time in this adventure?

my plates are 1.5" wide and ill likely be squishing 1" diameter pucks.

also, where does one learn more about the bavoda packs?

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
I've thought about the shaped stamp, and it seem that even if the puck depression were very shallow, the places where the puck didn't completely fill it would pool with rosin, and there could be more loss than with flat plates.

The only idea I've come up with as a way to apply pressure more universally and increase yield, is to use a conforming press surface. It would ideally be a hemispherical suface, so the pressure would be applied to the center of the chip first, and then would squeeze rosin from the edges of the chip as the pressure is increased. I think this would reduce the amount of rosin that collects around the edges of the puck, because the center of the chip is thicker than the edges and a flat rigid plate cannot create pressure there.

Unfortunately, the only thing I've found so far that could be used for this technique is a regulation baseball, and it would need to be heated in an oven to get it up to temp.

Here's an image of a baseball under pressure:

cF9jJmN.jpg

And here's a chart showing how a baseball reacts to force. It seems to be about ideal for the pressures we're using.

DXX7JRE.jpg
Why not make the material being pressed conform to the most easily compressable form, which is being flattened between two flat plates?

What you can do is take a hash or pollen press and fill it with some buds. I Have tried from 1 to 2 grams of flower pressed into a small puck then put that into the press. The advantage here is a uniform pressure distributed through the flower instead of only applying enough pressure to the center and the material on the edges doesn't get enough pressure.

2clicker

Observer
Why not make the material being pressed conform to the most easily compressable form, which is being flattened between two flat plates?

What you can do is take a hash or pollen press and fill it with some buds. I Have tried from 1 to 2 grams of flower pressed into a small puck then put that into the press. The advantage here is a uniform pressure distributed through the flower instead of only applying enough pressure to the center and the material on the edges doesn't get enough pressure.

i thought about pre smashing flowers in this fashion to decrease the amount of time spent squishing for a specific amount of flowers... but not for trying to distribute the pressure more evenly. i like where this is going!

would love to see those who have access to enough flowers and time to do some testing in this regard.

GuyLeDuche

^ "Eat a bag of Dick's!"
You may need to go back about 40 pages to get the "fresh" pollen press talk lol, I think most have tried and discarded their puck presses. For me I felt I was leaving too much good stuff on the press itself, and just balling the bud and squeezing it semi-flat seemed to have the same yield anyway...

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
With increased pressure it seems to be working well for me. Although, even before you suggested it I've been going back through this thread to catch-up and make sure I've read every post.

I have used some of Gold Ash's hardpresspouches but currently really enjoying the puck tech. I'm able to use really tiny popcorn buds and shake more effectively than using my gloved fingers to make balls.

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
@NorVape Exactly! I have pressed out flower; shake and buds; as well as kief, sift, and hash. I have gotten amazing yields and with all of the latter, but nothing has quite the flavor of fresh flower rosin.

I've only tried the puck tech with tiny buds and shake; unneeded for decent or good nugs. I have seen pucked kief and sift working well and hope to have the chance to try it soon.

I wonder how much lower temperature can be used at 10,000 psi compared to 2,000 psi to obtain the same yield. I'll be comparing that if no one beats me to it

I wonder how much lower temperature can be used at 10,000 psi compared to 2,000 psi to obtain the same yield. I'll be comparing that if no one beats me to it ;)
You wouldn't be the first to try it. Rufio Craft on the FB rosin tech group has been using a 50 ton press. So has tony verzua and I believe he reported testing a 50 ton press on hash church.

One of the main issues with high pressure right now is the material being pressed onto. The silicone paper matrix of parchment or slick wrap breaks down under heat and high pressure. This has also been discussed in Hash Church, how some rosin can tend to get a rubbery consistency and its theorized some of the silicone is leaching from the parchment into the product. Overcoming this challenge is the next step towards moving to higher pressure.

There are some products in the works to overcome this challenge and hopefully not generate as much waste as non-reusable parchment paper.

Last edited:

BoogerMan

@NorVape Exactly! I have pressed out flower; shake and buds; as well as kief, sift, and hash. I have gotten amazing yields and with all of the latter, but nothing has quite the flavor of fresh flower rosin.

I've only tried the puck tech with tiny buds and shake; unneeded for decent or good nugs. I have seen pucked kief and sift working well and hope to have the chance to try it soon.

I wonder how much lower temperature can be used at 10,000 psi compared to 2,000 psi to obtain the same yield. I'll be comparing that if no one beats me to it

You wouldn't be the first to try it. Rufio Craft on the FB rosin tech group has been using a 50 ton press. So has tony verzua and I believe he reported testing a 50 ton press on hash church.

One of the main issues with high pressure right now is the material being pressed onto. The silicone paper matrix of parchment or slick wrap breaks down under heat and high pressure. This has also been discussed in Hash Church, how some rosin can tend to get a rubbery consistency and its theorized some of the silicone is leaching from the parchment into the product. Overcoming this challenge is the next step towards moving to higher pressure.

There are some products in the works to overcome this challenge and hopefully not generate as much waste as non-reusable parchment paper.
Ah good to know!

Slick pads (like the little 3"x4" green ones) are no good under high pressure right?

What about pressing on some sort of metal? Like titanium or something?

herbivore21

I gotta say here brother as a hashmaker, solvent extractor and avid squisher now, I actually find that if a flower gives you great rosin, the bubble from that same flower can produce substantially better tasting rosin! I really need to do a bubble run, I have some absolutely splendid nugs that I've been squishing that are just crying out to become incredible full melt bubble and rosin, I suspect the 73 will be full melt on this run, and 90, 120, 45 will all make for a crystal clear, mesmerizing and heady rosin :D The other bags get vaped in the d-nail flower adapter.

Of course, there are so many grades of bubble hash out there and many of the lower grades or runs from material with not enough glandular trichs (as opposed to the non glandular stalk-only style trichs) or with certain terp profiles (the ones more likely to get pulled out with the water in the wash) may produce a bubble rosin which is less satisfying than the flower rosin ;)

NorVape

Vape Rictim
I squish import hash, mainly middle eastern in origin, as many of you know. I'm aware that it's a prevailent belief in many European countries that this is for the most part adulteraded hash, but idk, that sounds like government propaganda to me. I'm not saying it doesn't happen though. I get yields in the 20% range and up, from hash.

I'm saying this to illustrate how little I can say about the material I'm working with.

When I vape the hash it usually has this spicey flavor that cured hash often have, but when I dab the rosin it taste more like herb. I find this very fascinating.

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
I gotta say here brother as a hashmaker, solvent extractor and avid squisher now, I actually find that if a flower gives you great rosin, the bubble from that same flower can produce substantially better tasting rosin! I really need to do a bubble run, I have some absolutely splendid nugs that I've been squishing that are just crying out to become incredible full melt bubble and rosin, I suspect the 73 will be full melt on this run, and 90, 120, 45 will all make for a crystal clear, mesmerizing and heady rosin :D The other bags get vaped in the d-nail flower adapter.

Of course, there are so many grades of bubble hash out there and many of the lower grades or runs from material with not enough glandular trichs (as opposed to the non glandular stalk-only style trichs) or with certain terp profiles (the ones more likely to get pulled out with the water in the wash) may produce a bubble rosin which is less satisfying than the flower rosin ;)
I have been fortunate enough to make some great wet wash with @just_ice_wax who took me under his wing and introduced me to 5 and 6 star full melt bubble hash. I reciprocated by sharing the rosin tech and our t shirt press and hair straightener+vice grips to. I have only ever squished 4 star and lesser bubble, some of it tasted quite amazing; but I love bubble and have a hard time squishing 5 or 6 star melts.

herbivore21

I have been fortunate enough to make some great wet wash with @just_ice_wax who took me under his wing and introduced me to 5 and 6 star full melt bubble hash. I reciprocated by sharing the rosin tech and our t shirt press and hair straightener+vice grips to. I have only ever squished 4 star and lesser bubble, some of it tasted quite amazing; but I love bubble and have a hard time squishing 5 or 6 star melts.
Definitely bro, I too do not squish full melt, that would be a crying shame lol

I have definitely found like you that some 4 star or less bubble squishes are not as good as others, before or after squishing. I think we'll find that strain and the conditions of cultivation are gonna dictate whether flower rosin tastes better than bubble rosin from a given set of material :)

Which strains have you squished bubble with out of interest brother?

I find that bubble made from Cluster Bomb shake/trim (even 3 star!) squishes out to a better rosin than flower rosin from the same material, hands down. The flower rosin has a very planty taste which is not so true to the smell of the herb, whereas the bubble rosin has a much terpier taste that comes much closer to the creamy, nutty, skunky with orange notes smell of the original flower.

I do note that bubble from Cluster Bomb brings out the creamy flavor in a way that flower rosin and especially solvent extracts just can't. It definitely seems to be a function of what kind of terp profile you are working with as to which method will taste better! I assume that 3 month perfectly cured nugs may squish to better rosin than these nugs (which whilst exceptional have only really been cured for a few weeks after being fully dried out).

Last edited:

herbivore21

Edit time ran out on my last post here.

I just took the last 1.5g or so of my 90 micron bag 4 star bubble made from cluster bomb shake and gave it a first squish at 220f on my hair straightener. Stopped soon as I heard the sizzle and opened it up to find some super clear, PINKish shatter!

Tastes like a creamy, skunky party in my mouth and everyone is invited. This shatter is what I would call absolute. Completely brittle, when broken flies everywhere cannot use any technique but press and lift to collect the rosin off the parchment. Stays solid as glass when collected too!

This stuff is so heady. This is the kind of bubble rosin that I can say hands down beats rosin squished from the very best top colas of the same material! :D

Monsoon

I did some research on air compressors for the Mr. Rosin press and it looks like it won't be feasible for me. Looks like they run too loud for my thin-walled apartment and the "quiet" 60dB ones would set me back a minimum of $300. I'm still on the list for the High5vape press so I'll probably end up getting that unless there's a fatal flaw. It's not perfect but it's cheaper and I figure the rosin press market will be much more mature in a year or so and this should hold me out until then.

herbivore21

I did some research on air compressors for the Mr. Rosin press and it looks like it won't be feasible for me. Looks like they run too loud for my thin-walled apartment and the "quiet" 60dB ones would set me back a minimum of $300. I'm still on the list for the High5vape press so I'll probably end up getting that unless there's a fatal flaw. It's not perfect but it's cheaper and I figure the rosin press market will be much more mature in a year or so and this should hold me out until then.
Yup bro as someone who used to use compressors all the time in a past life, they can be like a lawn mower in terms of noise lol

Here's my latest Cluster Bomb bubble rosin absolute shatter :D

56hJh0el.jpg

Apologies for the blur, had my camera software zoomed a little without realizing :/

It is heavenly.

Last edited:

EpicNameGuy

Thanks for sharing the info. I was anxiously waiting for Darid to get back to me on the details, but after reading your post, I don't really mind that he didn't lol. Moving on..

farscaper

if using a pneumatic press one doesnt need a high end compressor hooked up all the time... you just need a storage tank. most commercial setups use a storage tank attached to a compressor to keep it filled up. so where you fill your tank doesnt matter. you just need a tank big enough to hold the volume needed for your pneumatic press.

some locations might even be able to find service for compressed air refill... like say diving shops or paintball shops... so maybe you dont even need said compressor. do some digging and see if u can get your storage tank filled locally.

Top Bottom