Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
FWIW, I saw a similar post on reddit with a pic, white stuff at the edge of the nylon bag being used for filtration (inside and outside of the bag). The consensus was that thc-a can occasionally be separated out in a single pass, rather than pressing into rosin, then pressing the rosin.

Thanks, thats useful. It was a long slow press and low temps in an over stuffed bag, so...

Anyway, pre press and more appropriate bags have been ordered! :D

NV pre press, obviously, because I am a fanboy (and its the one thats made to go with the plates I have) :luv:

xer0

What is a good value press these days?

I'm thinking about buying one to start pressing hemp flower with. I'd like to go as cheap as possible but still get a good press as I want to get something that will yield well and will be durable. I've been mostly looking at the DabPress and Dulytek models on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KQ387F...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PBD1RH...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Both seem decent in my eyes. Not sure that I need drip tech ability as I just planned on making a channel to direct the rosin flow but I suppose it could be nice feature to have. I also came cross this style which interests me...

https://www.amazon.com/Dulytek-DM80...EXTMK4AR6FX&psc=1&refRID=16B3YWXC2EXTMK4AR6FX

The price is much more palatable but with that I'm thinking there is a drop in the overall experience or possibly the yield. That's why I wanted to check with the experts before making that decision. :)

Also are pre-press molds really that helpful or necessary? Do the bags help in regards to technique/yield or are they simply filters? I never used them either and besides a little dirty rosin I never had any issues pressing directly on the parchment.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
What size presses do you typically do on 3x3 plates Hacker?
I am also curious, what are the other 5 presses you have experience with?

I LOVE my DabPress 10t3x5. I do appreciate the driptec and love everything about it. Sometimes I consider other presses but I can't imagine any better performance. I prefer to do 5 or 10g at a time.

What size presses do you typically do on 3x3 plates Hacker?
I am also curious, what are the other 5 presses you have experience with?

I usually do 2 or 3 gram pucks. Pre-pressed but no bag. I have done up to a 7 gram press (I think that's what I did when I made the video a while back when the 3x3 all-in-one first came out). But, I don't like to let it sit around too long so I don't usually press a lot at one time.

My first press was a HashMasta Kut model. Made from a hair straightener and a clamp.
Second was a T-Shirt press.
Third was my Mick Jagger Rock and Roll Rosin Press.
Fourth was my DabPress 3x7 caged kit
Fifth was the Slug (no comment). LOL
And now, my current go to is the 3x3 DabPress all-in-one.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Interesting. I did not expect a big change in taste. But 15u is really small.

The taste is very similar, maybe the right phrase would be 'more refined'? I hadnt actually registered in my head that there was a flavour change but yes, its a subtle refining of flavour :)

To be clear tho, what I meant was more that the hit is smoother in terms of throat irritation, its not as harsh an inhale as stuff I pressed yesterday.

Sick Vape

Solar Dabs
The taste is very similar, maybe the right phrase would be 'more refined'? I hadnt actually registered in my head that there was a flavour change but yes, its a subtle refining of flavour :)

To be clear tho, what I meant was more that the hit is smoother in terms of throat irritation, its not as harsh an inhale as stuff I pressed yesterday.
I exactly got what you mean and wasn't sure if "taste" is the right word to use :D, but couldn't think of anything better.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
I exactly got what you mean and wasn't sure if "taste" is the right word to use :D, but couldn't think of anything better.

Stupid words! :)

But still, you chose a word that made me consider the rosin in another way, and the misunderstanding proved correct :)

EDIT: The puck obviously doesnt feel spent, even after a fold and a second press. Pretty sure I packed the bag way too tight as usual, a habit I'm trying to break.

shredder

15u flower rosin is very, very, very smooth straight off the press. Wow.

Incredibly strong bags too, they seems stronger than the 160u I was using previously.

I have 20 micron bags that I use to repress dirty rosin (rosin with plant material). When I Itried them with herb I didn't notice anything different other than a reduced yield. So I'm somewhat surprised of your results.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
I have 20 micron bags that I use to repress dirty rosin (rosin with plant material). When I Itried them with herb I didn't notice anything different other than a reduced yield. So I'm somewhat surprised of your results.

I've been pressing at 160u everyday for the last week or so, and today 15u, all with the same flower, so any changes are going to be obvious and seem significant I guess.

This 15u flower rosin is behaving a little differently in the dish too. Its scorching a lot easier.

I'm gonna clean all the 160u rosin I've got with the 15u bags, so I'll be intrigued to see if that changes things again.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
behaving a little differently in the dish too.
Is the dish staying cleaner, less 'gunk' to swab up when done?
I did a comparison between 90, 120, and 160 bags and they all had similar looking used qtips afteer a swab, I might have to get some 15 mic to try to see any real difference.
Where did you get yours @emmdeemo and did you have to go slower to avoid blowouts? I found the lower micron bags would blowout on me if I pressed at the same speed as my 160 bags.:tup:

Incredibly strong bags
They should be, there is a lot more material used to make them, that is why smaller micron sized bags will cost more(at the same supplier):myday:

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Is the dish staying cleaner, less 'gunk' to swab up when done?
I did a comparison between 90, 120, and 160 bags and they all had similar looking used qtips afteer a swab, I might have to get some 15 mic to try to see any real difference.
Where did you get yours @emmdeemo and did you have to go slower to avoid blowouts? I found the lower micron bags would blowout on me if I pressed at the same speed as my 160 bags.:tup:

They should be, there is a lot more material used to make them, that is why smaller micron sized bags will cost more(at the same supplier):myday:

Dish, cleaner, yes for sure! It seemed like the dab wanted slightly lower temps than the stupidly low temps I'm already on, but I'm not finding that necessarily repeatable. I'll carry on testing! :)

Bags came from rosinevolution.com. I'm finding them tougher than the 160u, so I actually went a bit faster with the press tbh :) I can rip the 160u apart quite easily at the seams, not so with the 15u.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
just so I can do more at once.
I not long ago did 2x25g bottle tech pucks at once for a 50g squish just to see how much I could do at once on my 3x5 plates, I think I could actually get 2 oz if I tried again, I usually stick to 10 to 12g pucks so I do not have to use my vice to pre-press(just me pushing down on my pre-press puck maker).

LesPlenty,
Reactions: shredder

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
I not long ago did 2x25g bottle tech pucks at once for a 50g squish just to see how much I could do at once on my 3x5 plates, I think I could actually get 2 oz if I tried again, I usually stick to 10 to 12g pucks so I do not have to use my vice to pre-press(just me pushing down on my pre-press puck maker).

I kinda prefer bottle tech, so it'll be interesting to see how these bags hold up.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
@LesPlenty Any yield reduction with a 50gram press?
Not any real difference, a little less than normal...maybe, the figures say that but the buds were from the lower part of the plant so that always yields less. It is just a lot of mucking around pre-pressing the pucks in a vice, I now stick to 10g runs.
img_20191218_212218-jpg.15273

img_20191218_213309-jpg.15274

img_20191218_213840-jpg.15277

img_20191218_232953-jpg.15280

Everything I pressed yesterday at 15u has become a smooth peanut butter like substance today.
I get that with all my rosin pressed under 85C.:tup:

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE

Was at about 85c, so that makes sense. Just on the cusp :) Took the temp up slightly, seeing as thats where I've been heading. Last nights squish was a little hotter (really just a few degrees), and that has stayed more the consistency that came off the press. Very tough to stir, turns to a golden sheen when agitated. Very thick honey like.

No loss in yield from when I was pressing the same material with 160u. However, the bags split (not as much as the 160u would under the same circumstances I think), 20g is a bit much in bottle tech for the these bags.

Gone up to ~200f/93c for tonights squish. I'll do 10g instead.

Vape_Or_Die420

Not any real difference, a little less than normal...maybe, the figures say that but the buds were from the lower part of the plant so that always yields less. It is just a lot of mucking around pre-pressing the pucks in a vice, I now stick to 10g runs.
img_20191218_212218-jpg.15273

img_20191218_213309-jpg.15274

img_20191218_213840-jpg.15277

img_20191218_232953-jpg.15280

What kind of jar is that? Looks like ceramic.

Vape_Or_Die420,
Reactions: Sick Vape

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Ok, did another 20g squish instead, and chopped less of the bag off so there was more room for the puck to expand. No split at 4 tons (where it def was splitting yesterday). Made sure I went as slow as possible, while still keeping the press fairly short. Plates were reading ~203f. Puck felt pretty empty after. Bag wasnt sticky, puck wasnt stiff.

Went in for a second press, without folding the bag, heard the bag split at 6 tons. Got another 0.3 out of it. Think I might stick at 4 tons for a bit longer next time. Tho it looks a bit like I coulda stuck at 6 tons for a bit longer, as altho the bag had split in several places, it wasnt really spreading out much. The puck also feels less empty after the second press! But its so compacted now, and a bit solid, over pressed :)

The resulant rosin is like melted, glassy honey, glue. Pulls straight off the paper in a lump. Yield went up 2% (might have just been a particularly good handful :) ).

Top Bottom