Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

farscaper

fuck it. tool acquired. now to wait til it arrives to test it out.

@nopartofme I have just been using reynolds cause thats what I have... im thinking about ordering some of the pressing screens and some natural brown colored parchment just to try it out. some people are heavily opinionated that its better but, idk.

Bouldorado

yup usually fresh frozen flowers.

@Bouldorado were the flowers cured or were they fresh prior to pressing?

they were cured. I talked to someone at the dispo I got it from and apparently the buds were sprayed with an ethanol extract and then dipped in kief. however judging from my lower-than-expected yield of 18% (and lack of musky flavor) I don't think the hashmaker used very much oil in his process

Jayou540

Thank you everybody who posted in this thread.. This is my first post on FC and I had to just let everyone know that this Rosin tek is amazing and very helpful for someone such as myself who doesn't have a reliable concentrate connect. I just squashed a few nugs of some glistening og kush#19 and Jack H In between a 30$ hair iron at 220 degrees hot. I don't have a scale but I am REALLY happy with the returns I've been getting. Been getting a nice gold shade with the jack and a darker shade with the og#19.. Just took a generous dose of the jack in my solo and I am more than impressed... In fact it tastes better than my local butane dude who charges 60$ a g (and supposedly supplies a dispensary)!!! Never again.. I can't thank this forum enough.. Much love from Canada..
NzU6mmX

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
So. All the gear minus the slick pads came in yesterday, as expected. I bought a roll of Reynolds Cut-Rite parchment from the grocery store. I'd think there'd be a more generic Reynolds paper? But that was all they had, so I went with it.

OWOGozO.jpg

First off, the Proctor-Silex is definitely a no go. Both heating surfaces are significantly recessed to create a lightly-flattening oven for your sandwiches. I thought a bit about using layered or thick silicone to buffer the recessed heating surfaces, but that would increase the cost which is the main reason for buying the thing. I'm also not sure that it could take the pressure anyways. It's bigger than I thought, and IMO a little ugly. It did make some good PB&J, though.

Wt7neYV.jpg

I started my rosin journey with the Conair Infinity Pro, which seems very nice to me who knows nothing about hair straighteners and has never used one before or even looked at one this close… The lowest setting is 338ºF, and it's got four steps above that up to a max of 446ºF. @Toastface_Killah was right, it's solidly built and can definitely take a lot of pressure.

My first few tries, I had the same problem as @Quetzalcoatl and was melting my parchment a bit, one time pretty bad. I adjusted by shortening my presses, and started having much better results.

Now, this is my first real rodeo with extracts, so I'm still learning how to effectively collect, handle, and manage it. At first I was using a tiny dabbing spoon/scraper that I got with my V2 Pro S3 wax cartridge, but I've now moved to a careful and gentle scrape with a razor blade, which is working much better (as long as I don't tear the paper…)

After a few presses and dabs, I learned that placing the dabber w/ rosin in the freezer for a minute helps a lot. Really gives the rosin that sap-like consistency.

As for the dabs, the rosin has been hitting and tasting great. I guess I shouldn't call them dabs since I don't have an actual dab rig; I'm using an MFLB w/ PA and concentrate trays as well as my V2 Pro S3 wax cartridge. The MFLB definitely tastes way better, but the first few hits taste good from both.

qjtVxa7.jpg

So, what you all really want to know is how that Cucina Pro 1443 tortilla maker did. Well, I've been focusing my experimentation on single nugs while I work on refining my technique and all, but I've been getting some great presses out of it!

Now, it only has one heat setting. And, the bottom plate gets maybe 25-50% hotter than the top plate. And the heat is definitely stronger in the center of both plates, though the diameter of the prime heating circle seems to be fairly large relative to the total surface.

With all that said, the lever mechanism makes applying pressure much easier and more efficient, and it definitely feels solidly built and up to the task. I've been putting my weight into it with no issues.

Unfortunately I don't have any means of measuring the exact heat that it reaches, and it's not mentioned in the manual. But, within the center circle, this thing definitely gets "hot enough". Like I said, I've been focusing on single-nug presses with it, but I think you could surely get away with 4 nugs at a time, maybe even 6? I'm thinking something like an eighth of an ounce at a time. I'll let you know when I get a chance to test that out.

I woke up this morning and did a few more single-nug presses solely on the tortilla maker, and I ended up with one of my best presses yet. Now I spent all of yesterday messing with trying to weigh the dabber and then weigh the dabber with the oil on it, with little success. It wasn't until this morning that I had the notion to just weigh the nug before and after pressing.

I gave that a go before and after that last press in the tortilla maker, and the nug went from .63 grams cured to .49 flattened. That's a 22% extraction?? Not that I'm able to get 100% of it off of the parchment paper at this point, and though the nug was cured and fairly dry I'm sure some portion of that weight is water boiled off… I'm not up on the ins and outs of measuring this stuff, yet.

qjtVxa7.jpg
Wt7neYV.jpg

As it stands, I've been enjoying using the tortilla maker slightly more than the straightener, thanks to the lever mechanism. The Conair is definitely a solid iron though, and wins handily in price as well as portability of course. The Conair also heats up more more quickly (seconds vs minutes). The tortilla maker is fairly hefty and has a decent footprint on the counter. But it's doing as good a job at making rosin from single nugs as the Conair is, in the highly inexperienced hands of this newbie at least.

If you're looking at any tortilla maker besides the Cucina Pro 1443, I'd take a real hard look at reviews to get an idea of how much pressure the lever can take. This one feels very solid.

I'm really looking forward to getting my slick pads tomorrow. I think that's gonna make handling the oil much easier, which should up my extraction efficiency a decent amount. No more melted or torn paper!

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the help getting here. :peace:

Last edited:

darkrom

Great Scott!
@nopartofme

Protip for weighing and collecting it into one ball here. Weigh a small empty square of parchment paper. Tear the scale. Grab the oil off the dabber with the parchment paper, use the heat from your fingers through the parchment to squeeze and press it off the dabber and into one nice blob on the paper. Throw back on the scale for exact weight

:)

EpicNameGuy

I gave that a go before and after that last press in the tortilla maker, and the nug went from .63 grams cured to .49 flattened. That's a 22% extraction?? Not that I'm able to get 100% of it off of the parchment paper at this point, and though the nug was cured and fairly dry I'm sure some portion of that weight is water boiled off… I'm not up on the ins and outs of measuring this stuff, yet.
Thanks for reading, and thanks for the help getting here. :peace:

Thanks a lot for your write up. I'm definitely watching this tech closely. Just wanted to chime in a little regarding yield calculation.

You mentioned weighing the bud before extraction and after to determine yield. IMO, for an accurate yield calculation you should compare the weight of the output 'rosin' against the input material weight pre-process, instead of the weight of the bud post-process. Comparing input to output is the true measurement of yield / efficiency.

That's not to say assessing your post-processed input material isn't worth while; it could perhaps indicate a variety of things about the process.

nopartofme

Thanks a lot for your write up. I'm definitely watching this tech closely. Just wanted to chime in a little regarding yield calculation.

You mentioned weighing the bud before extraction and after to determine yield. IMO, for an accurate yield calculation you should compare the weight of the output 'rosin' against the input material weight pre-process, instead of the weight of the bud post-process. Comparing input to output is the true measurement of yield / efficiency.

That's not to say assessing your post-processed input material isn't worth while; it could perhaps indicate a variety of things about the process.
Yeah, that makes sense. Since I'm really new to handling extracts, I'm experiencing little losses left and right from bits melted into paper, bits on torn bits of paper, etc. It has been a fairly painstaking process thus far to get the rosin from paper to dabber post-extraction. So I'm sure my actual yields have probably been around 10% or less if I had to guess. But I'm getting better, and I know it's going to be much quicker and more efficient in the future. The razor blade has already been a big improvement… And the reward is great.

Last edited:

NorVape

Vape Rictim
So, please forgive my noobness, but some of those pads are okay to press with in stead of parchment?

Wasn't that a big no no earlier in the thread, due to unsafe materials being exposed to heat?

I'm really enjoying this tech, but I need a better scale to actually get an impression of what my yields are like.

It's almost as if it's too good to be true, a quick press of a nug and I have a dab at hand!

I press the little nugs tightly together before pressing, and I feel it helps keep particulate out of the final product. I use my fingers when pre-pressing.

GuyLeDuche

^ "Eat a bag of Dick's!"
So, please forgive my noobness, but some of those pads are okay to press with in stead of parchment?

Wasn't that a big no no earlier in the thread, due to unsafe materials being exposed to heat?

I'm really enjoying this tech, but I need a better scale to actually get an impression of what my yields are like.

It's almost as if it's too good to be true, a quick press of a nug and I have a dab at hand!

I press the little nugs tightly together before pressing, and I feel it helps keep particulate out of the final product. I use my fingers when pre-pressing.

I think the bubble press screens were melting, not sure about the others. Awesome to hear pressing/rolling is giving good results, that's been a pet theory for me for a few days but unable to test atm :(

GuyLeDuche

^ "Eat a bag of Dick's!"
Pretty cheap... problem with t-shirt presses imo is the plate pads. Once you remove them the plates don't meet as closely without mods, even then not always meeting flush. Kinda why the tortilla deal made more sense for a home user to me. No mods, under $50, and makes tortillas lol

nopartofme

Slick pad claims their product is safe up to 500ºF. I don't know what bubble screens are made of… It seems like the way to go would be a metal plate screen with very fine holes, something like one of those stainless steel Aeropress filters.

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Pretty cheap... problem with t-shirt presses imo is the plate pads. Once you remove them the plates don't meet as closely without mods, even then not always meeting flush. Kinda why the tortilla deal made more sense for a home user to me. No mods, under $50, and makes tortillas lol

Can't see that being an issue since the bottom plate would be a very simple mod since it's only 2 bolts and a spacer would be easy ? :shrug:

farscaper

Anyone consider one of these yet ? : http://www.amazon.com/GECKO-MACHINE..._sbs_k_50?ie=UTF8&refRID=0WKDR0GYDSKM91G7BM4S

81nRCUHgQ8L._SL1500_.jpg

I'd love to myself, but they don't seem to offer in Canaduhh and the shipping will be steep ! :(
oh yea baby its been considered... stay tuned! :cool::tup:

as far as slick pads... I only tore one up because I was completely flattening a folded crease which eventually popped a bunch of the little clear squares out. as far as taking the heat and being safe for rosin, I think they will be fine.

I do question the bubble screens [25micron nylon I think] bug again nylons melting point is 400°f so it still may be possible to use them... I dont even actually know if they are nylon... Id love a confirmation on that.

Last edited:

walrus

Glad to see the tortilla press is working out. I've been eyeing this one because of the adjustable temp control.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002HFQHYY/ref=pd_aw_sbs_k_1?refRID=1NSXYT66E5RB9WXZ2FGM

I like the idea of the tortilla press over a t shirt press. It's a more manageable size for at home use and both surfaces heat up as opposed to shirt presses where only the top plate gets hot. I was only worried that it might not generate enough pressure but since @nopartofme seems to be getting good results, I think I'll pull the trigger and give this one a shot.

GuyLeDuche

^ "Eat a bag of Dick's!"
So who's gonna grow the first rosin strain? I'm thinking really small, dense, oily buds?
Yea not too sure on the exact numbers on the tortilla makers (also flatbread), but I think in a pan a tortilla cooks around 325, maybe that range would be Med heat? With 2 sided heat and a big lever handle it just seems like a logical fit. I was noticing some technical problems Berfelo was having with the larger press and it just seemed a bit too much for anyone but a commercial producer. Also, have people been rolling/pre-pressing buds lately? That was something else I felt would have helped Berfelo, but pure conjecture on my part atm...

edit:
https://www.chefprousa.com/productdetail.aspx?ProductId=chef-pro-tortilla-maker~FBM108

maybe the closest I've seen, doesn't say temp numbers but at least a dial and looks fairly sturdy.

I think this is the same model from the manufacturer, even a little less :)

GuyLeDuche,
Reactions: NorVape
Top Bottom