• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

walrus

@CrazyDiamond... welcome back!

@everyone else... keep goin!

taking notes. ill be picking up my tshirt sublimation press tonight. will not have flowers to test till next week though.

Note that most shirt presses need some modification to work properly. If the bottom plate is covered with silicone or padding of some kind, it should be removed to expose the metal plate. Also, the bottom plate may need to be raised with washers or shims of some sort in order to get the necessary pressure. Since most shirt presses only heat on one side, it should be heated up while closed to transfer heat to the other plate before pressing.

2clicker

Observer
... can I ... borrow that :evil:

sho nuff... as long as i can sample the return.

Note that most shirt presses need some modification to work properly. If the bottom plate is covered with silicone or padding of some kind, it should be removed to expose the metal plate. Also, the bottom plate may need to be raised with washers or shims of some sort in order to get the necessary pressure. Since most shirt presses only heat on one side, it should be heated up while closed to transfer heat to the other plate before pressing.

good tip. this one is old so i doubt it heats on both sides.

OldOyler

Fire it again. I can still find the ground.
I cant tell if were extracting or making sandwiches in this thread some times...

I waited as long as I could, @farscaper ... I can't resist it any longer!

(Clearing throat...)

Let me get this straight.

So I left my fondue pot and kitchen...

To move to the laundry room with an iron...

But now I am back to a giant panini press in the kitchen...

:doh:

Seriously though, @2clicker I am envious!!

Peace!

farscaper

why would we want to remove the silicone from the bottom plate? I mean I know soilgrow recommended it... but I cant figure out... the only two thing I can think of are...
1. its conducting better heat?
2. the silicone is so thick it is kinda squishy and needs a more solid surface?

@OldOyler if a sublimation press is gonna end up needing to be damaged beyond resale just to be used id rather just rig up a temp controller for an electric flatbread press like @DieHard mentioned...

walrus

why would we want to remove the silicone from the bottom plate? I mean I know soilgrow recommended it... but I cant figure out... the only two thing I can think of are...
1. its conducting better heat?
2. the silicone is so thick it is kinda squishy and needs a more solid surface?

@OldOyler if a sublimation press is gonna end up needing to be damaged beyond resale just to be used id rather just rig up a temp controller for an electric flatbread press like @DieHard mentioned...

I would think both of those reasons are right on. It doesn't allow enough heat to transfer to the bottom plate and prevents you from generating the needed amount of pressure. Heat and pressure are the keys to this tech and the padding is a detriment to both of them.

walrus,
Reactions: NorVape

OldOyler

I have actually been thinking along those lines as well, in a way. Using pressure though (like a vacuum chamber with a temp probe), but that is so not "DIY" or "Easy", and I was actually looking at it as part of my never-ending fixation on understanding heat at various parts of various processes to make various concentrates. (i.e. - trying to raise the temp of the starting oil - I am currently working on it for RSO processing - without applying external heat)

I am wondering if something like that wouldn't work here, as well. Not sure how to DIY it though, or make it easy or cheap. But since increased pressure also means increased heat - it would seem that it would have the same effect.

I know there is some of this tek in use with what you folks already do as far as creating concentrates (maybe the BHO folks?). Any way to make a "pressure only" rig from something already "in-house" (providing the pressure was high enough to create enough of an internal temperature increase)?

Peace!

OldOyler,

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
Kinda makes me wonder if a cylinder lined with oil pads and an inner piston type press would work? With enough pressure, heat would be generated. Something like a 50 ton hydrolic press. just thinking out loud.

OldOyler

Looks like plenty-good out loud thinking to ME, @Joel W. .

Your post shook something loose in my thinking, so I am going to take some time before my next post. I need to go try and understand pressure, how it is created in different ways and why, etc.

I hope to post back here on this thread soon with an idea to be kicked around, and if nothing else I hope it will contribute to the thread. I'll try to actually flesh out a bit of design based on that research, as well.

Peace!

farscaper

perhaps instead of damages to the machine I can just lay a thin piece of steel or aluminum on bottom to provide a stiffer surface. [if even necessary]

I dont think the silicone is a thermal problem.... cause its going to reach whatever temp everything around it is...

OldOyler

I can just lay a thin piece of steel or aluminum on bottom to provide a stiffer surface.

I was thinking that as well - I don't know what the machine looks like, but how about a piece of sheet metal (i.e. - duct work)? Seems that it would give if needed, but stay stiff enough to just "bop on top" of the piece you are trying to cover.

Might need some oven mitts if the piece were small or something.

Awesome everyone - I am seriously pumped!

Peace!

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Kinda makes me wonder if a cylinder lined with oil pads and an inner piston type press would work? With enough pressure, heat would be generated. Something like a 50 ton hydrolic press. just thinking out loud.
With a 50 ton press, wouldn't it risk the chance of pulverizing the flower and end up with more plant material in the end product?

Silver420Surfer,

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
With a 50 ton press, wouldn't it risk the chance of pulverizing the flower and end up with more plant material in the end product?
Sure, I suppose. But thinking about how hard we are pushing on a single bud in a hair press there is actually a lot of pounds per square inches there im thinking and it does not seem to be an issue much now.

There are alot of variables happening here and I don't even pretend to understand what happening exactly going on during extraction but the time factor of heating the bud fast enough to extract the rosin out without melting it to vapor, while pressing it at the same time to the path of least resistance so it can stick to the oil pad/paper might be able to happen at lower temps with more pressure?

Getting the bud apart from the "tooling" quick enough to not absorb back into the bud might be another hurdle with the press idea? I am not a "math" guy or PE, but I am willing to try anything once or twice..

EDIT: After looking at more rosin deposit pictures I am starting to think it is not moving to the parchment paper in a liquid form but as a vapor or something else like super critical fluid. CO2 for example takes on the properties of both a fluid and a gas* when enough heat and pressure are applied. With Co2 this can happen with lots of pressure and little heat or lots of heat and little pressure.

Fixed*

EDIT2: Hmmm maybe the rosin it being transported so far from the bud because it's being pushed out by any escaping steam from whatever moisture is present? makes more sense than super critical fliud rosin i guess... lol

Last edited:

kindbeats

Terps Up, Temps Down
Here was my second attempt at it. I'll try and detail my process tomorrow. I need to pass out.

FCWAY9p.jpg

bvusUz3.jpg

Okay, so I made this last night. 1 gram of Golden Goat flower in, about 0.1 or so of some killer pull and snap in return (single press). It's extremely important to mention that this yield was from only one press per nug. Many people have been doing up to three presses each, but if you do that, I recommend keeping each batch separate. I've done second presses with another strain and it tasted like crap compared to the first press.

Steps:

1. Broke up one gram into ten .1 nuggets. I'm not sure if it was mentioned in the thread or not, but you want smaller nugs, ideally .1 to .2 at largest.

2. Set my 30-setting hair straightener to 15 on the dial.

3. Placed each nug in its own parchment paper and did 4 second presses at the very longest.

4. I immediately toss the pressed nug out of the parchment paper to minimize particulate.

5. Scraped up with my dabber and took a few dabs.

Although I'm super impressed with the quality, melt, and smell, the taste just isn't there at all. Meanwhile, my first attempt a few days ago was with some Jack Herer (one of my least favorite strains flavor wise) at around 22 on the dial with about two second presses (I would stop right after I heard a sizzle) and although it yielded like crap thanks to it being my first attempt, the little bit that I got was actually quite terpy. I would even go as far as to say that it was up to par with the flavor of some properly made and purged BHO. Although the initial taste was more smokey to me than BHO, the terps finished strong on the tongue. With this batch of Golden Goat, which smells lovely and looks incredible, my tongue gets nothing. D'oh! I will be making a super small amount of Golden Goat BHO in order to compare the taste to that of the rosin.

UPDATE: Okay, so after doing a small run of some Golden Goat, the BHO had a 20% yield as opposed to rosin's 10% (one tube vs one press). The taste of the BHO is definitely stronger than that of the rosin, but it is still a very faint taste, which leads me to believe that it is simply a strain issue at the moment. Can't wait to find something else to press soon!

Last edited:

kindbeats

Terps Up, Temps Down
now i see a market for a "rosin press". i could make that shit.

then again there are prolly a few others out there who are working on it as i type this.

still tho how hard could it be?

Definitely already being done by at least one person, as they've already gotten underway in having their prototype built (from what they say, anyway). Doesn't mean that there isn't room for more or possibly better designs! The best options at the moment are a heated press or t-shirt press.

Edit: Sorry for the double post!

Last edited:

NorVape

Vape Rictim
Hmm, with old school import hash I find it works better with Comphashon's old tech from ICMag. Heated pyrex with steam, and rubbed hash on the dry side, scraped, reheated, repeated. Works well.

With this new rosin tech I only squish the hash so that the hash and the oil is inseperable.

But, hey, I learn two solvent free techs that work amazingly well in under one week.

I will teach this whole country about the joys of the rosin tech now haha

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Hmm, with old school import hash I find it works better with Comphashon's old tech from ICMag. Heated pyrex with steam, and rubbed hash on the dry side, scraped, reheated, repeated. Works well.

With this new rosin tech I only squish the hash so that the hash and the oil is inseperable.

But, hey, I learn two solvent free techs that work amazingly well in under one week.

I will teach this whole country about the joys of the rosin tech now haha
Hmm. I wonder if I could get this working with a setup I can make... Or maybe some micron screens.

Quetzalcoatl,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Vacuum press's, supercritical rosin, and piston rosin chambers...... I love FC :love:

Sitting here thinking about all vac's at my disposal for testing of this theory time is my enemy this time of year though

@OldOyler
If you need some input on diy vac setups shoot me a pm

NorVape

Vape Rictim
Hmm. I wonder if I could get this working with a setup I can make... Or maybe some micron screens.

Yeah, it can be fixed with some sort of filtration prossess, I'm just not sure how.

Also, how about heating hash wrapped in parchment inside a boiling bag, taking it out of the boiling bag and then handpressing it while still hot?

I've seen people do this to repress old hash bricks into fake ass eggs etc, and it always left some of what I now believe to be oil behind on the boiling bag, even with out pressing.

Back then we didn't know of trichome heads and essential oils, so They just threw the bags with oily residue.

And the old hash DID get better after this "repressing", so the heat must've done something.

Idk, just thriwing thoughts out there. For a big part of the world old school hash is a more available starting product than frosty cali buds yadadameen?

farscaper

its been suggested to try the bubble press micron screens for quantity increases. my only concern was that I thought they were nylon screens and nylons melt point is around 400°f so when playing at 320ish it seemed dangerous....

I dabbled with pressing a 25micron screen from a run that had never been soaked and had some wax residue in it still... pressed it and got a yield lol.. but when I tried to press a bud with a SS screen it was a total fail... mind the fact the screen was rather folded and beat up.

I have the idea that SS screen the exact size of the buds [ or og hash patty ] may work nice... but it would need to be a nice screen and not all beat up and folded like the one I tried.

continue to the slick pad I was using has gotten rather beat up and im sad to say had to be retired... but I dont think is as key if your press times are quick... mine are around 3-4 seconds and im getting the best yield that way.... with parchment. so either one will work its all about quick even pressure as far as technique goes.

as far as what kind of material is best... so far ive seen best results with dried but not too dry buds.... these purps I have just wont rosin.... I will try just a little more now that ive been getting more successful but they may just be too dry.... only further study can tell.

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
Thank you @2clicker , has been a rough road and I'm still on it, but things are starting to look up.
@farscaper my thoughts are the same, I was going try one first before seeing if they need to be re-hydrated...

Why not just use the filtering screens we got from 316? I'm gonna sacrifice a 50 micron screen when the time comes and just cut it into small pieces, one piece for each side of the nug so two total in between two small slick pads...should be able to get a lot of small screens out of one larger square.

p1ssbucket

Been following this thread for a little while but haven't taken it that seriously until I heard big name people in my area talking about this stuff. I am gonna start this myself so is there a particularly good or recommended hair Iron model I should be on the Lookout for?

p1ssbucket,
Top Bottom