1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

Discussion in 'Concentrates' started by darkrom, Feb 25, 2015.

1. invertedisdead

invertedisdead trance-form

Some Platinum OG I pressed

[​IMG]

muunch, Morty, lazylightning and 6 others like this.
  2. shredder

shredder Well-Known Member

So, is it two hits and sleep? Lol.
    Perhaps you could review the effects?

Im not a big indica fan personally but I have patients asking. I have grown several indicas, but that was before I pressed rosin, so im curious as to the indica dab effects.

ataxian, invertedisdead and Squiby like this.
  3. invertedisdead

I use indica's for pain management for my neck but often mix in sativas too, so the effects are often mixed.

I dab small amounts but top up usually every 2 or 3 hours, so it doesn't often put me to sleep like that, though it can occasionally happen. If I was just using at night for sleep I would probably have a different perspective. Ultimately I prefer sativa and sativa dominant hybrids myself too.

lazylightning, Alexis, Hogni and 3 others like this.
  4. Pyr0

Pyr0 Stoned Roses

Anyone used a Rosinbomb "premium" press or seen any decent reviews please?
    I like the idea of it not needing to be bolted down
    I spotted a UK one on everyonedoesit, but it's quite expensive

ataxian likes this.
  5. ataxian

ataxian PALE BLUE DOT

ROSIN replaced SHATTER for me!(use to make it myself)
    Thank's BREW for the head's up @lazylathe
    This week I got SOUR DIESEL ROSIN (LUV IT!)

UNICORN MILK + KIEF + ROSIN = CIVILIZED (0 nicotine in my ejuice)

GOON TANK at 40 watts. (NEW COILS & COTTON) This MOD is only a 100 watt however
    fits my hand and max's me out!
    [​IMG]
    HAPPY 420! $20/gram ROSIN $5/gram KIEF= legal state

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  6. lazylathe

lazylathe Almost there...

Anytime my friend!
    Glad i could convert you to the purity of rosin!
    I have some 10 week Girl Scout Cookies i want to press!

Morty, shredder and ataxian like this.
  7. ataxian

ataxian PALE BLUE DOT

You mf now I'm addicted to ROSIN!

The price is dropping?
    wtf is going on?
    MAUI WOWIE is cheap?

Weird however acceptable.

SATIVA = morning with coffee until 1pm
    HYBRIDS= pass 420pm
    INDICA = before bed

CONCENTRATE'S = all day/all night = CIVILIZED

Life can be messy?
    @CarolKing this is my program!
    I stress if I don't have some kine program to cope!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2017
    lazylathe, invertedisdead and Shrike like this.
  8. lazylightning

lazylightning It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

Last week my Nugsmasher Mini arrived and I've been a little obsessed with making lots of rosin. :science: It's very simple to use and the .75" pre-press makes it easy to squish exactly the amount I want. I chose it for 2 reasons.

First, smaller plates allow smaller 1-2 gram squishes without the rosin staying on the hot plates as much. I don't grow, so smaller squishes allow me to learn the finer points of rosin tech without breaking he bank.

Second, I like to travel and sample the flower I find along the way. Since I really only dab rosin these days, it makes sense to have a small press I can use in the RV or hotel.

I'll still probably get a 20 ton press and plates before too long, but I'll always have the Nugsmasher Mini when I'm on the road.

Anyway, since it's new there's not a ton of stuff out there about the Nugsmasher Mini so I thought I'd share a few pics of some rosin I pressed with it this afternoon.

This is some 22% THC outdoor Kosher Kush that yielded 27%. It was kind of dry and mostly popcorn buds, but it was cheap and looked good enough I thought I’d give it a try. I rehydrated with Boveda packs for a couple days and squished a few ~2g pucks. Edging up the time and temp, I finally found the sweet spot with a decent amount of terps left. I put 3.5g in a bag and pressed at 230 degrees for 3 minutes. 3.5g in and .954g yield = 27%. Ironically this 9 month old dry outdoor bud yielded way more than several other strains of fresh top-shelf indoor that I also recently pressed using similar parameters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. invertedisdead

Don't get any better than fresh squeezed friends!!

Morty, Squiby, lazylightning and 2 others like this.
  10. Pyr0

Pyr0 Stoned Roses

Thank you for posting this, I've just found a place here in the UK offering these presses :)
    I'm seriously tempted to buy one while I wait to build my own.
    I've previously only pressed a gram or so, but something is making me wonder whether to go for the standard or mini. It's 760 for the standard and 420 for the mini

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  11. lazylightning

I was actually going to get the standard Nugsmasher, but then I read some Amazon reviews. Someone purchased a standard Nugsmasher and the PID went out right away. He contacted the company for warranty repair and they acknowledged that they had shipped some faulty PIDs and it was a known issue. However, they still made him pay to ship the whole unit back for warranty repair. Because it's twice the weight of the Mini, it cost him $130 for shipping. I know it only costs $30 to ship the Mini if I ever need repair so that definitely factored into my decision.

I also think I'll eventually get a 20-ton press and 3x5 plates so that made the smaller size more attractive. The nice thing about separate plates is when the PID goes you just repair or replace the PID. No shipping a 70lb crate back the manufacturer just to get a PID repair.

If you're in the UK I expect you'd never try to ship the unit back for warranty repairs. It's all riveted shut, but probably not that hard to pop the rivets and open up the case to do your own repairs if necessary.

shredder and Pyr0 like this.
  12. Grifo

Grifo Well-Known Member

wow how many grams of herb? whats ur method?

The Beagle likes this.
  13. invertedisdead

That was with 3x5 plates on a 12 ton press. Don't remember how much flower but return was 20%. Those plates were heated with an enail controller so I'm not sure what the actual plate temp was for that press but it was low enough to get that.

Morty likes this.
  14. Pyr0

Pyr0 Stoned Roses

Nugsmasher mini and some 1.8" 160 mic bags ordered
    Now I just have to wait for it to arrive :myday: lol
    If anything goes wrong, I'll be shipping it back to the shop I purchased from in the UK and they'll handle returns or exchanges

lazylightning likes this.
  15. lazylightning

Congrats! That's great you can just ship it back to the store for warranty repair. Did you get one of the mini pre-presses too? I use mine on most of the presses I do unless I'm shooting for 3.5g in a bag. It really helps compress 1-2g to the right size for maximum PSI and you get a nice even puck spread.

Pyr0 likes this.
  16. Pyr0

Pyr0 Stoned Roses

Thanks, i'm really looking forward to getting it :-)
    I thought about the pre presses but I already have a cheap t-bar pollen press that I've been using to make pucks out of bits of leaves I've collected from lightly trimmed buds.
    It's only about 3/4" diameter but I might try slightly thicker pucks as I'm usually pressing about 1-1.5 grams max.
    I can see me pressing more once I get the nugsmasher.. might have to look for a cheap enail too

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    lazylightning likes this.
  17. lazylightning

That pollen press might be perfect. The pre-press Nugsmasher makes for the mini is the same diameter and I've pressed 2.5g easily that way. An enail sounds like a good investment too, especially if you find squishing rosin as addicting as I do.

Pyr0 likes this.
  18. b0

b0 Cloudy...

Would you mind sharing the place you ordered it? :)

ataxian and Pyr0 like this.
  19. Pyr0

Pyr0 Stoned Roses

Hi @b0, not at all.
    It's a fairly new place called Cultivate Hydroponics, but I think I managed to get an early bird price or something as they've increased now.
    https://www.cultivatehydroponics.co.uk/nug-smasher
    I spoke to the owner before ordering and he seemed like a decent guy.
    He says it started with his mate ordering one of the standard ones through him and now he's offering the range. Although they're not listed on the site yet, you can order bags etc through him too

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    ataxian likes this.
  20. Grifo

Grifo Well-Known Member

so what technique did you get this with? i know you used a hair straightener but did you use clamps? Also what hair straighter are you using?

ataxian and Morty like this.
  21. kellya86

kellya86 Herb gardener...

I have recently started using a clamp to add extra pressure, but it works fine without it, providing you have some manly hand strength, or at least some weight to you....

The straighteners do go down to about 120c, but i need the fan speed controller to drop it that little bit more, to get super tasty results....

[​IMG]

22. invertedisdead

But unless you weigh at least 500 pounds or have the strength of a boa constrictor, you're going to get better results using some kind of force multiplier. I've gotten great rosin from a low temp hair straightener and a bench vise. It's just a lot of work to collect when squishing 1g or less at a time. That's why the Nugsmasher Mini seems ideal for fresh squeezed personal stash.

23. ataxian

ataxian PALE BLUE DOT

GSC pressed?

Your so lucky!

I will look for it.

24. lazylightning

After a couple weeks with the Nugsmasher mini I'd say it works very well for a personal press. I've squished over 3 oz. of 20+ different strains and rarely do less than 2g using the pre-press mold. It's just so much easier to gather with at least 2g and I prefer putting 3g in a 160 micron bag for easiest squishing and best yields.

Whether it makes sense to go with this unit over a hair straightener probably depends on how much you're squishing. My goal was to squish ~10g of rosin per month for personal use and it works pretty perfectly for that. If I was doing much more than this I'd probably want to step up to 3x5 plates. If I was doing significantly less then I might stick with a hair straightener and just have fun with small squishes.

shredder, The Beagle, Squiby and 4 others like this.
  25. IIIQBIII

IIIQBIII Vape Obsessed

I am also interested in acquiring a Rosin press for some homemade. Been reading a lot of threads lately, and came across the NugSmasher lines as well. Its hard to choose a device with the type of info out there. The newer iteration of the medium level Nugsmasher was posted about on IG. Not sure if the price jump is worth the extra parts, but still priced lower than the much larger commercial style presses.

The Beagle and invertedisdead like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors