1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

Discussion in 'Concentrates' started by darkrom, Feb 25, 2015.

1. mc

mc Member

This is a direct quote from kindasf on reddit because I'd like to give him the credit;
    "Let's say you have a 10 ton cylinder with a 1.5 inch diameter ram that has an operating ceiling of 10,000 PSI.
    That means that if the hydraulic fluid between the pump and the cylinder is at 10,000 PSI, the force across the 1.5 inch ram is 10 tons, or 20,000 lbs.
    Let's say you also have a 4x4 prepress mold, that's 16 square inches.
    Now that we know those things, we can convert the force at the cylinder to PSI at the material.
    First we divide the cylinder circumference area by the material area to get a ratio.
    A circles area is Pi x Radius squared. Solve for 1.5 diameter, and you have 1.77 square inches of surface area.
    16 square inches of material / 1.77 square inches of cylinder head area = 9.039
    So now we can use that ratio to divide the force.
    20,000 lbs of force / 9.039 = 2212 pounds of pressure at the material.
    Divide that by 16 square inches and you have 138 PSI at the material.
    This is a good example of why a narrow cylinder at 10 tons is not enough pressure for a 4x4 pack.
    Don't forget that you really don't want to push hydraulics past 75% if you want them to last."

Hogni and shredder like this.
  2. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

I got it. Thank you very much, Sir, for that explanation!

3. invertedisdead

invertedisdead trance-form

So using this same math, a 40,000 lb press only ends up as 276 PSI on the load? That sounds off to me.

4. mc

mc Member

That's with a 4x4 puck, which is pretty big. And this is why those $5 presses say they can do 500PSI and that it's more than enough, because it actually is in the end. That's also why a 600LB dwalt can still max yield 1 gram.

CanadianFlowers likes this.
  5. Caelar900

Caelar900 Well-Known Member

Huh... I have never calculated or heard of anyone calculating their psi this way. Not saying your wrong necessarily but I would love someone else to chime in and confirm.

6. mc

mc Member

I was not calculating it this way either until he posted this on reddit a while back, but it makes sense.

7. miguelovic

miguelovic Member

Nope.

A four by four puck expands. The actual PSI is arrived at by dividing applied pressure (ram width does not play a role) by final material area.

That was intentionally definitive. I never followed his logic on Reddit.

Makes some fine looking rosin regardless.

shredder likes this.
  8. mc

mc Member

We already said the puck size pre and post squish matters. The question is if you need to calculate the ratio or ram size if it's not exactly 1s inch. I'm still on the fence about it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  9. Accept

Accept Well-Known Member

Finally got around to trying to press rosin - with little success. Found a hair straightener with low temp settings. When this failed, added a trigger clamp, easily crushing the plastic hair straightener on the first squeeze. Salvaged the (supposedly) titanium plates still connected to the switch and working.

What to attach the plates to? The trigger clamp is plastic, so that won't do. A face clamp? An arbor press? Any tips on how to go about it? Prefer something cheap and readily available. Don't have much hope for pressing rosin regularly at this point, but still want to make a decent effort before giving up. (Only got enough rosin for one small, unimpressive dab with bits of flower stuck to it.) Thanks!

GreenHopper and The Beagle like this.
  10. miguelovic

miguelovic Member

Check out the HMK build threads on IC.

There is also a user here who attached the PTC heaters from a hair iron into C channel metal. These could be attached to anything from a QuickGrip to a vise or otherwise.

GreenHopper, The Beagle and Accept like this.
  11. Accept

Accept Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  12. dabsonthemountain

dabsonthemountain Well-Known Member

I do not think the ram size matters, either way the force coming from it is being transferred to the puck. I always just used final puck size and the size of the jack. I do tend to get the jack to the point of not being able to press anymore, so full strength. It's served over a year no issues. I need to replace it just incase though... It could fail any day at this point...

miguelovic likes this.
  13. kellya86

kellya86 Herb gardener...

Iv taken up squishing lately... And I'm getting really tasty results with good yield.... (20%ish)
    Still learning as much as possible, and squishing my way through my stash at an alarming rate.... least it grows in trees eh..

So what's the deal with the presquish...???
    I presquish a little to just make it neat and keep it all together better..
    Should I be proper squishing it to a flat..???

Also apparently a little heat first, without the squish, helps gett the juices flowing for a better yield on the squish...???
    Kind of like a primer draw on a conduction vape I suppose...

Anyway I'm having much fun with the squishing, and even more with the testing...
    [​IMG]

Im using very low temps and a long hard squish....

My rosin is a little dark as the product is about 8 months old....
    It's glassy not gooey...
    Very well cured og kush....

Morty, Pyr0, Quetzalcoatl and 7 others like this.
  14. kellya86

Iv been showing a friend my squishing efforts...
    Like the above post....
    I explained how to do it too...
    How much heat...
    And what parchment paper to use....

He decided to listen to none of it....
    And sent me a pic of his effort....

[​IMG]

I found this very funny....

Morty, GreenHopper, elmomuzz and 12 others like this.
  15. tepictoton

tepictoton Well-Known Member

Very funny indeed. Always nice when people ask for your advice and then come up with these incredible ways to completely obliterate your advice, and go above and beyond... Or something something.

Any specific advice to squishing sugar leaves? Would the dry ice sifting be the best way to go.

Many commented on sugar leaves not being good starting material for pressing, but I have yet to find a decent example of someone trying this.

If needed I can get dry ice (and have bubble bags).

I will try this one way or the other (probably both hihi) next week, any input would be welcome.

Working with a 20 ton h-frame press and dual heated 4*4 plates.

We have a pre - press and seemless filter bags to work with.

Ps: @kellya86, tell your friend he should have pressed between the lines...

16. kellya86

Ha brilliant...

After speaking to him, he didnt even use straighteners....
    He used 2 irons pushed together....

As for your sugar leaf trim...
    If never had success squishing them...
    But I have some truly tasty success using iso, or butane for extraction....

I wouldn't do anything else with my trim now...
    Freeze everything, and make that first wash brisk.... purge gently....

GreenHopper, simpleasthcis and Squiby like this.
  17. miguelovic

miguelovic Member

@tepictoton

Look for Heady Blunts on IC and IG. Most of what he use to post is made from sugar trim.

simpleasthcis and Hogni like this.
  18. tepictoton

tepictoton Well-Known Member

Thx for the tips!

19. simpleasthcis

simpleasthcis ... As a box of ....

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    GreenHopper and invertedisdead like this.
  20. matthend

matthend Well-Known Member

that is pretty damn cool, i wonder how much pressure you get with that?

21. herbivore21

herbivore21 Well-Known Member

Dry ice sifting is never the best way to go with cannabis. Dry ice will pulverize your leaves into dust that will fall through and screens with ease in no time at all.

IME, even normal dry sifting is not ideal for rosin (unless the dry sift melts a whole lot which will take major time commitment)! If you wanna make a crude hash to press out of the leaves, make bubble hash. 1 long agitation with a 220/190u catch bag and then a 25u bag to catch your crude hash. 2 screens only required. The water will keep your trim supple and prevent it from breaking up during agitation and you'll be much more easily getting a cleaner hash. The beauty of bubble for rosin is that you can partially dry it and the residual moisture will make it press rosin much more easily!

The problem with pressing dry sifts that don't melt much is that they are too dry, and are incredibly difficult to get good yields doing rosin.

22. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

Herb, you are absolutely right. Same in my experiences.

Morty and herbivore21 like this.
  23. simpleasthcis

simpleasthcis ... As a box of ....

Thanks,
    it's got more pressure than a C clamp or trigger grip with much less effort and fast.

Hogni and miguelovic like this.
  24. lazylightning

lazylightning It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

I'd like to build a personal press that will handle at least 7 grams at a time. I almost went with a Dake 10-ton and Low-Temp plates, but there's one problem with that solution. I need it to be lightweight when I travel for extended periods with my travel trailer. At 225lbs, the Dake press would be much too heavy to travel with.

I know a machine like the Nugcrusher only weighs 65lbs and has about the right size plates for my needs. But I don't want my PID to go out and have to pay $150 to ship it in for warranty repair like a recent review I read.

Anyone have any ideas how to put together a good personal press that weighs under about 80lbs?

25. shredder

shredder Well-Known Member

Has anyone been squeezing indicas? The closest I've been is 50/50 crosses. But mostly I squeeze sativa dominant strains, and im curious as to what indica rosin is like.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors