1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

rosin question

Discussion in 'Concentrates' started by chris 71, Feb 7, 2018.

1. chris 71

chris 71 Well-Known Member

i tried making my own rosin when it first started to catch on a few years ago with the hair straightener and parchment paper . i was really excited to be able to make my own solvent less extract .

but then i gave it up when i started to read about peoples concerns with the silicone contaminating the rosin .
    so anyway i see that its still going strong , and tonnes of people are making and enjoying it .

i would like to try it again but im wondering were these worries about the silicone coming off the parchment found to be un founded ? or is there a certain way to make it to avoid this , is it really safe ? and not something to worry about ? can someone let me know the scoop , thanks ....

2. chris 71

crickets ..... lol
    anybody ?
    i know there are lots of rosin people here whats your take on this ?

3. OldNewbie

OldNewbie Well-Known Member

I believe the problem is that terpenes and silicone don't mix well in that the silicone degrades when it comes into contact with them. Parchment paper's magic is the silicone coating. The fear is some result of the degradation is not healthy at normal temps and changes to worse at vaping temperatures.

Your mileage may vary.

Some use PTFE to squish.

https://terpproof.com/products/ptfe-4-x-4-squares?variant=382676959259

chris 71 and JCat like this.
  4. chris 71

thanks oldnewb , ya thats about what i could find .
    here is a video on how parchment paper is made . says in video that it can handle temps up to 1500 degrees .
    Click to play YouTube Video

i guess apart from the terpenes dissolving it off the paper . which i suppose would take some contact time . the only other thing would be being careful not to scrap any of it off . or damaging it . i wonder though about the adding of heat and pressure and ware on the paper .
    i know the rosin kind of squirts or oozes out of the bud so maybe its not right on the part of the paper that is under the pressure . but still it kind of gives me concern . so i was wondering how or why it wasnt much of a concern to those that are using this method . it seems there are tons of people using it

JCat likes this.
  5. Pressisbest

Pressisbest New Member

Stay away from the white parchment paper as it may contain dioxin which can leach into your product. Use the unbleached "brown" paper and you should be fine. Pressing happens at around 200 degrees F and for so short a period of time it should not be of concern.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors