Respectful Suggestions

spoonyluv

Avid Herbalist
First, I'd like to say that I greatly appreciate this site and the information it provides. It's obvious that the mods spend a lot of time reading and managing the content and that makes this place great.

As someone who was recently researching a purchase, I was faced with the daunting task of reading a 144 page thread about a popular vape. After going through about 50 pages (which took several hours), I felt well informed about the device but didn't see an answer to a question. I posted the question and was quickly directed to 'read the thread' before I post.

While this is a valid response and it in the rules of the forums, I want to bring up the point that the rule combined with very long threads serves to make this site less useful to a new person. I've spent many hours going through the thread and while the information is quite interesting it's also very time consuming so for me going through the whole thread isn't feasible. Searching as an option is not very effective for many topics, especially since someone new to a device doesn't always know what they want to search for and as best I can tell, the search feature can't be directed to a single thread.

I would like to make the suggestion that for popular vapes, sub-forums could be created so that a 150 page thread could be broken down into multiple threads, like: vendor intro, dealers/pricing, issues, accessories, etc. Units that are no longer popular could have their forums moved to an inactive section.

In addition, not sure if it's my knowledge, my account or just a limitation of the forum platform, but most forums I use have a set of thread specific tools that would also help. The ability to search a thread would make it much easier to catch up on a topic.

Thank you for your attention and again for all your hard work,
Da Spoon

spoonyluv,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Just quoting my reply to your similar post in the Solo thread:

OhTheAgony said:
Hey Spoon,

there already is a 'subscribe to this topic' option, it's right above the Quick post window where we type our posts in every thread.

The search function can't be limited to just one thread and unfortunately that will be impossible to change right now as it is a limitation of the forum software.

There also are vaporpedia pages for most vaporizers, but those do rely on members to keep updated: Vaporpedia Account Requests

OhTheAgony,

technique

to make matters worse depending on the vape you were looking into it may have gone through some changes over its life span so the first 50 pages are not necessarily a accurate depiction of its current features.

Im no vape expert but just my own experience from trying to research vapes on this site. I think what maybe really good is we create a counsel of knowledgeable vapers (say 5 of them) and they reviewed vapes (i feel 5 reviews from people in the know should suffice) givving what they feel are its pros and cons along with a write up of there experiance with it or a video review and the thread was a read only.

technique,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Who reviews what vape depends on who buys one, so I don't think your idea would be realizable. Unless you want to arrange funding for those vape reviews or people willing to donate free vaporizers for a review which I doubt is desirable for the sake of objectivity.

This is website for and from users, fluctuating results come with those territories I'm afraid. You yourself are the best filter for the info at hand I guess, I suggest you learn to work with that.

OhTheAgony,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Another thing to consider for 'insta-answers' (that may have already been answered somewhere in 500 pages) :D, is the chat room as well.

There are usually a good handful of knowledgeable vaporists in there at any given time. This may be something you might want to investigate as well :)

AGBeer,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
@ spoonyluv

I'd agree that a busy forum in general is daunting for a newcomer. A wiki is a better solution for an information hub and that's the direction that we're hoping to go with vaporpedia. Did you check out the sticky thread in this section?

vtac,

treecityrnd

I'm sorry Spoon. You were in a very tempremental forum. The majority of forums are not like the Solo forum. In fact, I love FC, post regularly, but avoid the Solo thread like the plague. There is no voice of reason like Vitolo, mom, NYC, Krazy, etc. And then there's the fact that no manufacturer from Arizer is there. Leads to some heated exchanges and unhelpful individuals. Not all forums are like the Solo forum. Come over to the Zap forums, or even an MFLB forum. All your questions will be answered with a smile...cause that's the kind of peoples most of us are.

Search first, but don't ever be afraid to ask questions. Most of us are here to help.

treecityrnd,
Top Bottom