Recyclers - Discussion and Appreciation

Def don't get the matrix, the return path for the water connects too high to the can, it should be below the perc. I'd think #3 would be the best bet, but these bad boys are ugly as sin in my book! :2c:

[edit] maybe the matrix fires just right with the return path being up high like that... wtf do I really know? A vid is what is needed!

Last edited:

PhotoRider

Diagnosed with level 11 G.A.S.
Def don't get the matrix, the return path for the water connects too high to the can, it should be below the perc. I'd think #3 would be the best bet, but these bad boys are ugly as sin in my book! :2c:

[edit] maybe the matrix fires just right with the return path being up high like that... wtf do I really know? A vid is what is needed!
+1

PhotoRider,
Reactions: mvapes

Angus Thermopyle

miner of truth & delusion
WOW!

Erik Anders x Kind x Elbo

"Dinocycletron"

tumblr_mkwnb5oupy1qfkx1mo1_1280.jpg

http://smotpoke.tumblr.com/post/47401790490/erik-anders-x-kind-x-elbo-dinocycletron-high

TheRoyalD

so the earl jr. showed up and functionglassart really hooked it up. got an amazing black friday deal to say the least. here's link to a functionality vid

http://instagram.com/p/hVB_rRgbuI/

on top of that i was lucky with getting a pair of mike shelbo watermelon teleporter pendants ( http://instagram.com/p/hXZu02gbnl/ ) and sherbet glass pencil pendant as well. I had a damn good black friday to say the least. giddy like a schoolgirl over here

Last edited:

Who234

I had seen the Earl Jr. Micro recyclers on Functional glass art, previous to reading TheRoyalD's posting about them. I thought the site looked a little sketchy and I was unsure of ordering from there. After reading his glowing review of their customer service I was ordered pretty much immediately.

I ordered the 8" model listed on their website. When I received it, it was the 6" model, I thought hey no biggie they have "excellent customer service" they will take care of me right ? Wrong. I call the number on their website and explained the situation. He tells me that he sent me the right thing, and that they are handmade and could be variations. I let him know that 25% is a significant variation. He insists that it was the correct thing and that it was just a slight variation. Now if I order a Medium Tshirt and get an X-Large that is not just a "slight variation". So whatever, I tell him I either want the correct one or to have my money refunded. He will not refund my money and then directs me to their Shipping Policy, which I might add is full of grammatical errors. He would not refund my money and he wanted me to pay for the return shipping and insurance costs. Why would I do that I wasn't the one who either sent me the wrong thing or false advertised the size of the piece??? I asked him where does it say the customer is responsible for paying the shipping, he simply states the shipping policy. I read the shipping policy and it does not say anything about the customer paying for the shipping. I let him know that and he just says the shipping policy over and over. Finally I get him to read me the shipping policy and I ask him where it says the customer pays shipping, he stutters and says it doesn't and then continues on saying he sent the right thing.

He would not let me talk to an owner/manager, he said that he "runs" the place. He hangs up on me several times and eventually he answers the with an accent and says that he is the manager. Both him and his "manager" kept calling me brother, even though I asked him to stop and explained that if he was my "brother" he would be trying to help me and not raise my blood pressure.

Bottom line, I would not recommend buying anything from Functional Glass Art. They have terrible customer service, and even though they made the mess up they will not make it right. This is the worst I have ever been treated by a company, I cannot believe I spent $300 to get the wrong thing and then be treated like this. After I got off the phone, I did a little Google-FU and found their affiliate, called and spoke to someone reasonable, and I will be talking to a General Manager, which hopefully will make it right. Even if they do, I would not recommend purchasing anything from them ever.

Who234,

TheRoyalD

Bottom line, I would not recommend buying anything from Functional Glass Art. They have terrible customer service, and even though they made the mess up they will not make it right. This is the worst I have ever been treated by a company, I cannot believe I spent $300 to get the wrong thing and then be treated like this. After I got off the phone, I did a little Google-FU and found their affiliate, called and spoke to someone reasonable, and I will be talking to a General Manager, which hopefully will make it right. Even if they do, I would not recommend purchasing anything from them ever.

I feel horrible you had that experience with them and went in off my review! I swear my experience was the exact opposite (thankfully) but I would feel exactly the same as you if I were in your position. My apologies again that my post influenced you into a shitty situation but I hope you get squared away in the end!

PhotoRider

I had seen the Earl Jr. Micro recyclers on Functional glass art, previous to reading TheRoyalD's posting about them. I thought the site looked a little sketchy and I was unsure of ordering from there. After reading his glowing review of their customer service I was ordered pretty much immediately.

I ordered the 8" model listed on their website. When I received it, it was the 6" model, I thought hey no biggie they have "excellent customer service" they will take care of me right ? Wrong. I call the number on their website and explained the situation. He tells me that he sent me the right thing, and that they are handmade and could be variations. I let him know that 25% is a significant variation. He insists that it was the correct thing and that it was just a slight variation. Now if I order a Medium Tshirt and get an X-Large that is not just a "slight variation". So whatever, I tell him I either want the correct one or to have my money refunded. He will not refund my money and then directs me to their Shipping Policy, which I might add is full of grammatical errors. He would not refund my money and he wanted me to pay for the return shipping and insurance costs. Why would I do that I wasn't the one who either sent me the wrong thing or false advertised the size of the piece??? I asked him where does it say the customer is responsible for paying the shipping, he simply states the shipping policy. I read the shipping policy and it does not say anything about the customer paying for the shipping. I let him know that and he just says the shipping policy over and over. Finally I get him to read me the shipping policy and I ask him where it says the customer pays shipping, he stutters and says it doesn't and then continues on saying he sent the right thing.

He would not let me talk to an owner/manager, he said that he "runs" the place. He hangs up on me several times and eventually he answers the with an accent and says that he is the manager. Both him and his "manager" kept calling me brother, even though I asked him to stop and explained that if he was my "brother" he would be trying to help me and not raise my blood pressure.

I am not sure I agree with your point of view. My friend just received a large shipment from Earl and yes the typical standard height pipe runs 7" +/- 1".
Do you expect them to measure every pipe and change the description based on the next one to ship, i.e. they have 5 and vary. I think that is unreasonable expectations.

Now you come on the web, with 2 posts and rag them before its even resolved. Vive them a chance, if the manager is looking into it then i would give them a chance. What the said was reasonable, I know from experience.

I have ordered from them 4 times and spent much more. Once the pipe i ordered was sold in the store the day before and they forgot to remove it from the site. I didn't get mad, I was reasonable and simply asked what the could do for me, I got another pipe that cost $400 more for the same cost.

Bottomline, their customer service never was like that for me.

also, you got me at the first point, thought the site looked bad, wow. I think its one of the best glass shop's site and I deal with any shops all the time.

Last edited:

Who234

Photorider, its understandable that you maybe suspicious because I only have a couple of posts here. The thing that was very upsetting about this is I was unable to talk to a manager, or at least another employee. The only email address he was giving out was a shared email aka, sales@something.com. I will be more than happy to update you if/when this is resolved. If I was not smart enough to google the address that it was shipped from I would of never found out about Puff and Smoke. I had to call Puff and Smoke to find out if they were related to FGA, and thankfully the PS gentleman let me know their is a general manager and two business are related. He could of been like his partner over at FGA and tell me that he runs the place and I am unable to talk to someone else. It might not make much of a difference to your point of view, but the 7" micron model is $41 dollars cheaper than the 8" micro. Id be happy with the difference returned, or the larger model, but honestly at this point I would just like my money back.

I am sorry if I am being argumentative, its just this whole experience with FGA was not a good one.

The RoyalD, please dont take it the wrong way, I was not implying that it was your fault at all. I am glad it worked out for you. I guess next time I will have to make them take pictures with a ruler and a timestamp :).

Who234,

PhotoRider

estill don't see it. the other isn't 6" either, its under 5". i held all of them today at my buddies shop.

You are missing my point. the employee is just an employee and follows rules. What i did was to ask
for the manager to call me back, which he did, actually the owner... the employee can't decide, they follow rules.

what i think is poor is immediately while you still think you have a chance, you convict them here publicly. If the shop saw this and they do, what do they have to lose now? You already convicted them. Maybe after all tries it fails you have the right to state this, but its still in process. That makes me wonder if you just pissed them off. Also the point that you made about the site looking scary to you means just from the look you already didn't trust them just by that. So its like you were looking for it and expected it.

All i know is what i read here and from that if i was them i would probably have acted similar and i am very easy going.

this isn't the first time this has surfaced on this set of pipes. I do believe they should update the values and state the tolerance too. many shops don't even state size. so i measured the pipe in photoshop against the bic lighter and calculated a little over 7" of the pipe in the picture. perhaps the one they measured was on the high side...

also, i think stating false advertising is a bit strong. you are stating intent to be false. unless one reads minds that is difficult to know. I didn't see any benefit of doubt here and think they are just screwing you. Seems how you put it. a little comment here can have huge affect. not sure that is warranted yet. Also you point about their grammar, what does that have to do with the situation? When one does that it makes me wonder why. If their case is just, then one doesn't need to rag on areas that really have nothing to do with the situation. I sure you understood their shipping policy.

just another point of view

edit: I should be constructive too. What I would do is to call back and ask to talk to management. I Know you have, but if they are not available ask to have them call you back. Also do this with email for a paper trail. Being your expectations were significantly not met by 25%. You do have a valid point there. If they don't call you, try one more time. Keep your cool. Just expect the worst so you are not surprised.

You are just building a case for a dispute with your credit card company. If you have that as an ace in the hole, you have leverage. Don't use that until all else fails. That is the last thing you tell them before doing it. The credit card people will side with you, 9 times out of 10. Bottom line it costs them little you exchange it or refund it really. If they choose not to they deserve it...

Last edited:

PhotoRider

I found this video on the Colie Glass youtube channel and I'm about to post it in the Colie Glass thread. I thought you guys might be interested in seeing it first though.

i can beat that Ricky, its sitting in front of me right now. AE was a great guy and sent it to me out of the blue. Its a sweet pipe. I love it. Not chuggy, recyclers well and beautiful workmanship.

canj00digit?

All my days in a daze...
lol

Classic.

Photorider has got the mad glass hookups and contacts.

Looks very similar in design to the recycler I have coming from Alan.
Damn down under delivery waits makes me sad panda.

Can't wait to try it out. Of course I have to 'give' it to my wife first because it's a 'gift' for 'her'. :D

PhotoRider

lol

Classic.

Photorider has got the mad glass hookups and contacts.

Looks very similar in design to the recycler I have coming from Alan.
Damn down under delivery waits makes me sad panda.

Can't wait to try it out. Of course I have to 'give' it to my wife first because it's a 'gift' for 'her'. :D
sweet, nice to have a partner to share glass with.

Who234

estill don't see it. the other isn't 6" either, its under 5". i held all of them today at my buddies shop.

You are missing my point. the employee is just an employee and follows rules. What i did was to ask
for the manager to call me back, which he did, actually the owner... the employee can't decide, they follow rules.

what i think is poor is immediately while you still think you have a chance, you convict them here publicly. If the shop saw this and they do, what do they have to lose now? You already convicted them. Maybe after all tries it fails you have the right to state this, but its still in process. That makes me wonder if you just pissed them off. Also the point that you made about the site looking scary to you means just from the look you already didn't trust them just by that. So its like you were looking for it and expected it.

All i know is what i read here and from that if i was them i would probably have acted similar and i am very easy going.

this isn't the first time this has surfaced on this set of pipes. I do believe they should update the values and state the tolerance too. many shops don't even state size. so i measured the pipe in photoshop against the bic lighter and calculated a little over 7" of the pipe in the picture. perhaps the one they measured was on the high side...

also, i think stating false advertising is a bit strong. you are stating intent to be false. unless one reads minds that is difficult to know. I didn't see any benefit of doubt here and think they are just screwing you. Seems how you put it. a little comment here can have huge affect. not sure that is warranted yet. Also you point about their grammar, what does that have to do with the situation? When one does that it makes me wonder why. If their case is just, then one doesn't need to rag on areas that really have nothing to do with the situation. I sure you understood their shipping policy.

just another point of view

edit: I should be constructive too. What I would do is to call back and ask to talk to management. I Know you have, but if they are not available ask to have them call you back. Also do this with email for a paper trail. Being your expectations were significantly not met by 25%. You do have a valid point there. If they don't call you, try one more time. Keep your cool. Just expect the worst so you are not surprised.

You are just building a case for a dispute with your credit card company. If you have that as an ace in the hole, you have leverage. Don't use that until all else fails. That is the last thing you tell them before doing it. The credit card people will side with you, 9 times out of 10. Bottom line it costs them little you exchange it or refund it really. If they choose not to they deserve it...

I realize an employee is an employee, but the guy I spoke to said he runs the place and there was no one else I could speak to. Which was obviously untrue, I had to contact their sister company to get anywhere. Why couldn't he just let me speak to a manager ? What was the big deal ?

I had tried to explain to them that I had ordered this peice for $255.
http://functionalglassart.com/earljrrecycler1-1-1.aspx

Instead I received a Micron Peice that retails for $204
http://functionalglassart.com/earljrrecycler1.aspx

They stated that they sent the right thing and that I was incorrect. I asked do you want to see a picture or something, and they did not, they just stood by and kept saying that they sent the correct thing.... I cant wrap my mind around how they can insist that they sent the right thing and not even want to see a picture.

My whole point about grammar, is they kept acting like their shipping policy is like quoting the bible. Even when I pointed out that their policy does not state that the customer pays for return shipping they insisted on it.

So I did call back their sister store and spoke to someone else. I tried to remain as calm and polite as possible for as long as possible. At first he was not being very helpful, I explained I had got the wrong thing. He said no I didnt, I even offered to send him pictures. He then wanted me to pay for shipping back, which I said no. He said its in the shipping policy, I asked him to read it to me. It was not, he still didnt want to pay for the shipping. We go back and forward hangs up on me, starts calling me bro again.. Finally, he says that he is not doing this out of customer service, but merely because he was sick of talking to me on the phone. He told me he is going to send me "a fucking shipping label" and refund my money and not do business with me again.

Thank god

I think you might have a point about not immediately chastising them on here, but I could tell by these combination of factors that they were not going to treat me right.

Not letting me talk to a manager
Saying that he runs the place
Quotes shipping policy like its gospel even though it does not state customer pays for return shipping
Saying they sent the right thing without even accepting a picture of the equipment

Hopefully they will actually send a shipping label and return my money. When I first called in I wasnt looking for a refund, I mearly wanted the correct peice that I ordered or the difference in price. I really dont want to send glasswear back and forth and have to make public forum postings. Why couldnt the guy just work with me and try to satisfy a paying customer ?

Photorider, you obviously know your stuff about recyclers. Your postings had inspired me to purchase an Earl Jr. Recyler. I had actually been lurking this thread for a couple of months. Would you happen to know any other places that sell an Earl Jr. Recyler ? If not how about any alternatives ? I would even be willing to spend a little extra $$ for something nicer. Do you have any suggestions ?

Who234,

bassplayer

Would you happen to know any other places that sell an Earl Jr. Recyler ? If not how about any alternatives ? I would even be willing to spend a little extra $$ for something nicer. Do you have any suggestions ?
Easiest way is to talk to Earl Jr directly, that's what I did - he's super cool to deal with. He's on FaceBook, not sure if he has other email addresses he uses for customers, I can ask if you like (if you search facebook for Earl Jr Glass you'll find him).

Who234

Easiest way is to talk to Earl Jr directly, that's what I did - he's super cool to deal with. He's on FaceBook, not sure if he has other email addresses he uses for customers, I can ask if you like (if you search facebook for Earl Jr Glass you'll find him).
I may have to try that. If you guys haven't noticed I am kind of a paranoid :). I didnt really want to associate my FB account, due to the whole NSA thing. Sometimes you have to do what you got to do.

Who234,
Top Bottom