Discontinued RBT Splinter (All Versions)

KRnoS

Hey all.

Getting back into the hobby after like 3 years and I found my Reuleaux (was once recommended here, I think Gen3 at the time) and a Splinter, Splinter Z and Stempod with some assorted mouth pieces.

In the past, I found this setup to be finicky but re-reading the old rave reviews makes it seem like it is user error and I'm just dumb.

So is there a new beginners tutorial on how to set this up?

Also I'm sure my custom firmware is many major revisions behind as it's been years since I touched this.

If someone provides me a start from 0 guide, will I be okay if it is already running custom firmware?

Just trying to give it one more go~

Thanks in advance!

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
Hey all.

Getting back into the hobby after like 3 years and I found my Reuleaux (was once recommended here, I think Gen3 at the time) and a Splinter, Splinter Z and Stempod with some assorted mouth pieces.

In the past, I found this setup to be finicky but re-reading the old rave reviews makes it seem like it is user error and I'm just dumb.

So is there a new beginners tutorial on how to set this up?

Also I'm sure my custom firmware is many major revisions behind as it's been years since I touched this.

If someone provides me a start from 0 guide, will I be okay if it is already running custom firmware?

Just trying to give it one more go~

Thanks in advance!
If I were you I’d start with the Splinter Z as it’s the best of the bunch.

You can always start in Wattage mode and try it out manually with no tinkering. Set the W to 45 ish. Hold the fire button for 3 seconds to preheat and draw for about 8-10 seconds, letting off or feathering the Fire button towards the end of the draw.

Either you like the vapor quality and it’s worth messing with TCR or it’s not.

KRnoS

If I were you I’d start with the Splinter Z as it’s the best of the bunch.

You can always start in Wattage mode and try it out manually with no tinkering. Set the W to 45 ish. Hold the fire button for 3 seconds to preheat and draw for about 8-10 seconds, letting off or feathering the Fire button towards the end of the draw.

Either you like the vapor quality and it’s worth messing with TCR or it’s not.

Thanks! But I think I already installed some custom firmware on it with a guide here but no idea what version or what it was called.

Should I flash it back it to factory defaults and re flash it or something ?

KRnoS,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Thanks! But I think I already installed some custom firmware on it with a guide here but no idea what version or what it was called.
I suspect it is Tubo, but it could be Arctic Fox? There is an old resource for setting up TCR with Tubo but the values might be off for your Z:

This thread has everything you'll need but it might be tricky to find. I'll see what I can turn up if no one else finds it first.

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.

Should I flash it back it to factory defaults and re flash it or something ?
Wattage mode is available on every device even after you flash. Try triple clicking the fire button and see if it lets you move between modes.

also both tubo and arctic fox will show the logo when you first power on the vape

EDIT : I saw @FearAndLawyering made some suggestions on your Reddit post. I’d try what he suggested if you figure out how to set the TCR values.

Last edited:

KRnoS

Wattage mode is available on every device even after you flash. Try triple clicking the fire button and see if it lets you move between modes.

also both tubo and arctic fox will show the logo when you first power on the vape

EDIT : I saw @FearAndLawyering made some suggestions on your Reddit post. I’d try what he suggested if you figure out how to set the TCR values.

Thank you everyone. Yes, I did crosspost and I appreciate the responses. I figured I would be able to get an answer somewhere.

FWIW - I think I installed arctic fox since that sounds familiar.

So it might be a bit of a wait before I can try this out again. I had left the batteries in the Gen3 and I just put them in my nitecore and 1 is reading an error (all blinking lights). The Gen3 is saying "check battery" and refuses to fire, and bottom left is saying 0%. I tried charging both via the mod and nitecore. I'll need to source some new 18650s

The Gen3 does boot though and there's a little white cat on a tree, and I can cycle through several screensavers.

KRnoS,

Hippie

That sounds like sur_myevic

The charger isn't recognising it properly as battery has discharged too far (as you left it in the mod)
I keep a cheap single slot Xtar charger for batteries that my other chargers won't recognise and charge. I have a few other chargers that say they can resurrect over discharged batteries but the Xtar has proven it's worth many times by resurrecting batteries they couldn't.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Beware though with resurrected cells. Sometimes the damage is irreversible (usually the longer they stay below 2.5V the worst it is) So watch them closely after resurrection: if they tend to run hot, if they can't hold a charge and/or self-discharge much too fast they are toasted and should probably be recycled or used for a less demanding application.

Hippie

I think Arctic Fox displays "Arctic Fox" and the build date under the Arctic Fox logo, on startup, and Sur_myevic says SME above the cat in the tree

They will also tell you which firmware you're running if you go into the menu (hold Up and Fire together for a couple of seconds) tho anyways
In Arctic Fox there is an About section where it will say Arctic Fox and a build date
Sur_myevic has a Miscs > Version section where it will say SME and show you a build date and version number

KRnoS

You guys are wizards honestly, yes it does say SME so it must be sur_myevic

I think I’ll just buy new cells instead of trying to resurrect. Seems easier.

Humorously, I bought a ghost MV1 years ago during their liquidation or massive sale. Since I can’t use the Splinter Z yet, I tried charging it overnight and it never completed the charge (still shows red). Since these have 18650s inside them, I’m sure they’re toast as well.

Oh well, I’ll just use my dynavap for tonight, order new batteries, and mull over purchasing a firewood 9 (I owned a 1 and still own a 4) or tinymight2

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Beware though with resurrected cells. Sometimes the damage is irreversible (usually the longer they stay below 2.5V the worst it is) So watch them closely after resurrection: if they tend to run hot, if they can't hold a charge and/or self-discharge much too fast they are toasted and should probably be recycled or used for a less demanding application.
KZ, when a 18650 cell doesn't fail, but starts to lose it's charge more quickly in use in a vape, I tend to put it in a flashlight that is less demanding. Do you think this is unwise? Should I just recycle them at this point?

cybrguy,
Reactions: KeroZen

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
No that's what I do too. Provided you're not into eye-burning lasers from Mars torches of course, as some of those are crazy high powered! But for instance I use them in my headband LED lamp I often use for work so I can be hands-free.

Ideally it would be best to use them in something having protection circuits. But as long as the power draw is low, the worst that will likely happen is to over-discharge them.. and well afterwards it's a vicious cycle heh.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
From another thread
Bye bye Arctic Fox, Red Panda and NFE Tools.

https://ibb.co/HX0cd4r
and the link says,

All good things come to an end sometime.​

Your ideas, support and communication helped make the project what it was. We are closing the project for two reasons: the first and most important is that we are tired; the second reason is that we do not see decent devices on the market that we would like to use ourselves. Thank you for being with us.
— NFE Team

Big thanks and kudos to the NFE team, I'll be using my RP and AF mods for years to come!

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
From another thread

and the link says,

All good things come to an end sometime.​

Your ideas, support and communication helped make the project what it was. We are closing the project for two reasons: the first and most important is that we are tired; the second reason is that we do not see decent devices on the market that we would like to use ourselves. Thank you for being with us.
— NFE Team

Big thanks and kudos to the NFE team, I'll be using my RP and AF mods for years to come!
It's too bad they didn't open source it again before quitting. Although I always suspected they used other (non-evic) code without permission after they closed the source.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Glad I’ve stuck with my DNA mods. The only thing that I assume they can’t or won’t change, is the need for a computer to create “custom” TCR profiles, everything else can be done on the mod now including setting your own “auto-fire” timer.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Inspired me, even though these days I rely on tetra much more, yeah splinter is still great!
PXL-20230924-210150357.jpg

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Yeah, my use of Splinter V2 is still several times per week, and this could go on quite a while since I still have one I bought as a backup, along with a spare mod, sitting in their boxes, Red Panda already loaded.

I feel lucky enough to have just caught the tail end of the RBT trip, "the China days" (also had an M3...)

Top Bottom