Discontinued RBT Splinter (All Versions)

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Keep in mind, a piece of wood is not just a homogenous blob like plastic, it is very possible that there was a small pocket of "pitch" or some form of naturally present resin that, when it got hot enough, bubbled slightly.
Try not to worry about it. It is character, personality; a beauty mark?

Last edited:

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
As others have said, your Splinter could need a repair or it could be the mod. My RX Gen3 Dual (running tubo) works fine with both my Splinter V2 and my ZV1. However I pretty much just use them with a DNA mod that I just like a bit better.

I have also used both of them with this:

Mine is running AF, but I know that @GoldenBud like it with tubo as well.

Hope you can get it back into service!
Thanks @Grass Yes .
I was organizing, and I found a backup Splinter, so I'm running again. The Wismec is fine, so it was the Splinter. The backup is beautiful, and I didn't have to replace my mod. It didn't seem like it would be the mod, when it worked so well before, but it seemed like a possibility.

@GoldenBud, thank you for your offer of assistance. That was generous of you, and I appreciate it greatly. I lost my grandson recently, and have been scattered in my bereavement. Apologies for not responding sooner.

Thank you, @Shit Snacks . I wouldn't have asked, but when I started the thread over I saw you recommended what I have in Post #2. Thought you might have a go to update, but your original suggestion still works.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Honestly mine is a little buggy with its arctic fox p80 setup so I'm probably going to switch it over to something else next time

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Grass Yes

TiSteamo

VAPEnsiero... sull'ali dorate...
Keep in mind, a piece of wood is not just a homogenous blob like plastic, it is very possible that there was a small pocket of "pitch" or some form of naturally present resin that, when it got hot enough, bubbled slightly.
Try not to worry about it. It is character, personality; a beauty mark?
I have owned the splinter for about 4 years and have always kept it impeccably, nourishing the body with wax every now and then...
I agree with you, wood is destined to wear out, I was just wondering what the grain you see in the image was and what it was due to, because it wasn't there before.

TiSteamo,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I thought you were referring to a small raised bump near the center of the body, like a 'grain' of rice size.
Not sure what you mean by 'little grain'.

The small dark area near the bottom looks like the grain grew around something, maybe the base of a twig that didn't develop, or a small piece of foreign matter thst the tree grew around and encased?

Mad_Max

Does a Splinter Z have a small rattle in it? The one I just bought rode across the Atlantic in somebody's bag, then got into the USPS. It seems to work normally, it's my first one, but it has this little unfortunate rattle. :uhoh:

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Does a Splinter Z have a small rattle in it? The one I just bought apparently rode across the Atlantic in somebody's bag, then got into the USPS. It seems to work normally, it's my first one, but it has this little unfortunate rattle. :uhoh:

Rattle is normal! Mica was in loose although some worse than others take what you get

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
stay strong @Madri-Gal ! we love you ❤️
Thank you, @GoldenBud . Your kindness means so much.
It was driving me crazy that I couldn't find that information. Alyson had been such a sweetheart to make sure I had the name, I hated to bother her about it. The Splinter had quit working a few years ago, back when Alyson was doing repairs, and I'd sent it to her. It worked fine for her, so she sent it back. It then worked for me, until I put it away and brought it out again.
Anyway, Alyson is doing well, and through her, and another person we both know, I connected with someone who currently fixes Splinters. They sent an invoice and address of where to send it, and asked how I broke the glass. That stopped everything. They never heard of a heater quitting. Glass repair is apparently the usual problem.
That brought it to the Wismec, which they said was fine. Sometimes the connection needs help, and they suggested a $3.49 heat sink from Humboldt Vape Tech. It's always nice to have an excuse to shop Humboldt Vape Tech, and the conversation with this person I'd been introduced to was absolutely charming. It reminded me very much of FC back in the day.
In the end, I ordered the heat sink, then got some tweezers and pulled the pin up in the center just a bit. Now the Wismec and Splinter are reconnected and both working.
Such a bother over a lose connection, but I connected with a few old friends, met a new one, found glass stems I forgot, found a backup Splinter, was reassured my Wismec was fine, and now know where to send the Splinter if the glass breaks.
The spirit of Ryan seems to be behind this one. The Splinter itself is a connector.

Last edited:

TiSteamo

VAPEnsiero... sull'ali dorate...
I thought you were referring to a small raised bump near the center of the body, like a 'grain' of rice size.
Not sure what you mean by 'little grain'.

The small dark area near the bottom looks like the grain grew around something, maybe the base of a twig that didn't develop, or a small piece of foreign matter thst the tree grew around and encased?
Hi, i was referring to this:

TiSteamo,

Petetbay

Hi, i was referring to this:
I’m no expert, possibly resin or sap contained in wood expanding to the surface caused by repeated heating, usually the dried wood is resin free, but if it isn’t showing on the surface it may have been hidden and selected unknowingly, I don’t think it’s going to be a problem, just cosmetic. :2c:

canadianvapelife

Just got a wismec reuleaux with arctic fox on it and instead of searching through the thread I figured I'd just ask, what are the best tcr settings for a z? I really only use mine in wattage

canadianvapelife,
Reactions: BigJr48

FearAndLawyering

Thanks for these - these settings breathed some new life into my Z!

Similarly, what are you (or other folks) using for Splinter V2 settings these days (i.e. for TCR and wattage, on AF)?
I haven't used a regular splinter nearly as much, so I don't know how optimal these settings are but this is what I've got set in the profiles - 42W, TCR125, 360F

the Z is just way way better unless you really value portability

FearAndLawyering,

EarthworldTim

Thanks for these - these settings breathed some new life into my Z!

Similarly, what are you (or other folks) using for Splinter V2 settings these days (i.e. for TCR and wattage, on AF)?
I recently acquired a splinter v2 from a very generous ent on the exchange, great price and included a vigreux stem. I found this old post and used the TC settings on a P80, I like it.

Profiles:
I have a profile for power and a profile for TC

P1:
Enabled : check
Name : Power
Power : 33W
Power step : 1W
Mode : Power

P2 :
Enabled : check
Name : Splinter
Power : 45W
Power step : 1W
Mode: Temp Control Setup: PI-Regulator:Enabled P:1850 I:300 (default values)
Coil Material : TCR 125
Temp Step : 1C
Temp Dominant :check

P3 - P8 : Disabled

Screen > Appearance > Main screen skin : Foxy
> Regional : degrees C

Controls > Multi Clicks > TC mode fire Button Clicks - 2 Autofire, 3 Edit, 4 Select Profile
If you want to cruise in wattage mode you need to change the VW fire button multi clicks in the same way.

Smart > Off

Advanced > Puf Cut-Off - 60s (this is the autofire and max puff time)
Ryan (RBT) says not to go over 45W with the Splinter so I have the Power Limit set at 60W

And I vape at around 200C

You need a good cold resistance reading for temp control to work, best taken after the Splinter and Mod haven't been used for at least an hour.
The TCR is the rate of change of temp with resistance (or is it the other way round?) so increasing the TCR will increase the temp of the coil and the rate of change you will see as you increase temp onscreen (some people like it higher)
You can also increase or decrease the resistance to change the temp of the coil without changing the rate of change, in .001 increments to dial in the settings you want. Increasing the resistance will increase the coil temp.

GoldenBud

my recommendation for Splinter V2 is TCR 185, 45w, resistance lowered like 0.02~ below cold resistance. (tubomy evic menu>coils>manage>Zero All then reduce 0.02 from there. see the lock sign. )

worked great, started with temperature around 380F

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock
Trying to set up a DNA mod as a dedicated Splinter Z mod. Tried some old links I found but none seem to be compatible with the newest version of Escribe I'm using. Any current links for DNA setup?

Top Bottom