Quitting dabs

biohacker

An Arizer Air? Yeah, don't use conduction vapes for taste, although you can get some decent flavour from the Air on the first hit, but it still has notes of those conduction pyrolysis tastes IMO. I do not like the vapcap.

I was using an enail, and experimented with temps from 525-725... pretty much settled for 575-625 range, and the lower temp hits weren't very harsh, but also very little vapour/clouds/effects. And I feel that low temp hits waste. And they still pool slightly and release gross smells, even solventless as I mentioned.

As I said, I still love extracts, but much rather prefer to vape them with flowers, and do so in extreme moderation. That's what works best for me.

The best concentrate taste I have ever experienced was putting a small piece of shatter inbetween the Herbalizer pads and blowing up a bag on max temp 229c. Heaven. But very addicting! lol

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I guess that's where we disagree, conduction tastes awesome, and a concentrate hit off a nail of some fire is as tasty as it gets. Some convective properties when you carb the nail. The Vapcap is awesome, epic full extraction, vapor thick as heavy cream.

Last edited:

shredder

I mostly prefer flowers, but I use concentrates as a special treat. I have noticed after several days of dabbing, my tolerance goes south.

I'm also mildly concerned about dabbing and lungs. I've heard reports of lipid pneumonia after heavy dabbing.

I doubt I'm in danger but I already have asthma, so I am concerned.

How things have changed a year or so after I wrote the above post. Two things happened.

First I got better at making rosin, and stopped sampling the local products.

Second I bought a enail set up with a SIC dish enail from dnail, and that allowed me to discover solventless low temp dabbing.

I've read about the higher end nails from liger and dnail for a while, but the prices repelled me. Especially since I've never tried either.

But PID controller options have become more abundant, and I finally ordered some decent dabbing gear. I was however not without doubt, because it's still pricey.

It has not been long, I've only had the enail a week, but I think I'm sold. Of course I've said that Everytime I bought a new vape, lol.

But my lungs feel less heavy, and I'm liking the nice clean clear buzz that low temp dabbing provides.

I do realize there could be tolerance issues, but like my other vapes I'm sure I'll slow down when the newness wears off.

Along with less congestion I find I'm vaping less. One tiny rosin dab lasts me 3-4 hours easy. I don't feel much need to top off my buzz very often. So my actual time spent vaping is less than half of what it was.

Last edited:

herbivore21

How things have changed a year or so after I wrote the above post. Two things happened.

First I got better at making rosin, and stopped sampling the local products.

Second I bought a enail set up with a SIC dish enail from dnail, and that allowed me to discover solventless low temp dabbing.

I've read about the higher end nails from liger and dnail for a while, but the prices repelled me. Especially since I've never tried either.

But PID controller options have become more abundant, and I finally ordered some decent dabbing gear. I was however not without doubt, because it's still pricey.

It has not been long, I've only had the enail a week, but I think I'm sold. Of course I've said that Everytime I bought a new vape, lol.

But my lungs feel less heavy, and I'm liking the nice clean clear buzz that low temp dabbing provides.

I do realize there could be tolerance issues, but like my other vapes I'm sure I'll slow down when the newness wears off.

Along with less congestion I find I'm vaping less. One tiny rosin dab lasts me 3-4 hours easy. I don't feel much need to top off my buzz very often. So my actual time spent vaping is less than half of what it was.
Could not be gladder to read this man. You've discovered what I was saying. Next gen enail plus clean, solventless concentrates (Especially DIY rosin :D) = heaven.

You will find that you slow down when the newness wears off. Also remember that with SiC, you'll get a big rip even with a small dab. Try to keep your dabs small and you can more easily keep your tolerance low ;)

Cheers!

P.S. try your hand at making full melt hash man, and you too will get to enjoy meds that look like this :D

RjDu4eG.jpg

Last edited:

shredder

Thanks herbivore 21! Your reviews here were a big influence in my decision.

I actually made something this morning that looks very much like that dab pic.

For shits n giggles I pressed at low temps some very fresh Jesus OG buds. It was cut down about 3 days ago.

It came out very light, almost clear and somewhat runny. Hard to collect, but a tiny dab lasted me 5 hours, and counting today.

I do have hash making tools for both bubble and dry ice hash but seldom have the time, and my patients were indifferent. So now I just give my trim to the patients for medibles, and use buds for concentrates.

I'm not sure how they'll like rosin. I plan on buying them all a pen, (ya, I know, lol) and include it in a little starter package.

Last year I bought them all silver surfer vapes. I think two still use there ssv. I try, lol.

herbivore21

I actually made something this morning that looks very much like that dab pic.
That dab in the pic is 6 star bubble hash that has partially melted up after I exposed it to heat man, not rosin (I do not rosin hashes at all, IMO it is a waste of flavor, I have my own techniques for making dabbable product out of the negligible amounts of hash that I make that do not already fully melt which produce far superior meds) ;) That bubble in the pic was hard and cold at the time, a bubble frozen in time :D

Yes, it is fire :D

Have you ever made full melt bubble hash before? It is unequivocally better tasting/feeling still than rosin and patients will certainly notice the difference :D

Full melt bubble hash tends to keep flavor from the original flower that gets lost when you breach the glands in oil extraction (ie: as happens during solvent extraction methods and rosin tek). It is that 'missing piece' that people who prefer flower to oil tend to cite as their reason for this preference.

Dry ice hash is an inferior technique to bubble and other dry sift methods IME and IMO, it leads to far too much contaminant as the dry ice pulverizes your starting material and leaves you with a fine dust, meaning that all of the inactive plant material gets through your screens and into your final 'extract' (I wouldn't even call some of the 'dry ice hash' I have seen an extract, some of it is more like powdered bud/trim!).

Either way man, I am glad to see you enjoying concentrates in a way that is better for your health and more pleasurable to boot! Glad to have helped in any way! :D :leaf:

Last edited:

shredder

Have you ever made full melt bubble hash before? It is unequivocally better tasting/feeling still than rosin and patients will certainly notice the difference :D

I have separated each screen size and did have some of it that would have qualified as full melt, but like I said patients were indifferent. Maybe due to lack of tools to fully enjoy. And for me the time and effort was a factor. But with free trim, it's win win. They're happy and I have less work. I still remember freezing my hands making water hash, lol.

With rosin, I'll give them a tool to help use it, even if pens are marginal, it's a start. I'm sure enails are too pricey for them. And as far as I know none of them even have a water pipe. But I can and will discuss the advantages of water tools with concentrates. And my rosin pricing wont break their budgets.

shredder,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I quit flowers about 8 years ago and have been all concentrates since. No going back for me.

What are some things that made you switch? Personally I don't have much interest in flower anymore, and a lot of interest in super terpy tasty concentrates. I feel like flower just doesn't taste good compared to extracts. Not as big of a difference as going from smoking to vaping, but pretty significant.

herbivore21

Haha it's inverted!
But then is it dead? Or did I take your screen name too literally :p

Blame it on @herbivore21 :D

And you're not helping as an enabler! ;)

I THINK i've quit dabs? What's a dab anyway?

Would a small piece of shatter mixed with flower in a vape at 200c be considered a DAB?
:lol: I suppose I must accept responsibility there!

A lot of people probably consider the term 'dab' to entail placing a small blob (aka dab) onto a nail.

For me, I can't see any problem with describing similar blobs (or dabs) of concentrate placed in a vape as you describe as both dabbing and vaping at the same time.

Obviously, many prefer dabbing on a nail, but the benefits of concentrates can be enjoyed in all kinds of different ways - if it works, then why not? :)

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

OC513

Dabaholic
What are some things that made you switch? Personally I don't have much interest in flower anymore, and a lot of interest in super terpy tasty concentrates. I feel like flower just doesn't taste good compared to extracts. Not as big of a difference as going from smoking to vaping, but pretty significant.
Well for me it was convenience, at first. I started vaping flower exclusively about 10-11 years ago. I then had 3 kids in 4 years and didnt have time for 20 minute sessions to get me medicated. With an enail I can be in and out of my "dab room" in like 60 seconds, fully medicated. Of course there is the taste and head as well. I love them both. IMO there is nothing even close to some super terpy, high quality extracts. The taste is just so pronounced and clear. I have always been into the taste of weed but concentrates took my appreciation to a whole different level.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
All dabs seem harsh to me lately compared to a flower hit, like I can just feel the sticky, wax coating forming.

I hope to see more affordable full melt sift when recreational legalization hits CA. IDK about these solvent extracts... I want to hit concentrates with natural cannabinoid ratios and no polarity shifts.

biohacker

IDK about these solvent extracts

Exactly the reason I switched to rosin exclusively for my concentrate usage. I was getting bad side effects from solvent extracts like severe night sweats, nausea, and exactly what you said about the wax coating.

Also fucked conduction dabs like combustion, and only appreciate the flower vape temps for my convection rosin "dabs" now. All issues and side effects have now vanished. As long as I keep that dab size reasonable, it's also as smooth as silk!

420democrat

I barley touch flower now I don't know if what I do would call dabbing but concentrates are the future
Espically with terpenes now
I've got ecig and dissalate carts for on the go
Edibles for long weekends
Enail for nights
Flowers kind of phasing out of my routine for sure

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
I have had several different examples of rosin, and I just don't get it. I have even made my own with excellent quality flowers. I just don't care for the flavor of rosin, in general. I feel like some of the terpene flavors are being lost due to the heat used for pressing. Give me properly made and purged Hydrocarbon extracts any time. Being that I still live in "the Land of NO" I have not gotten to try proper ice hash or dry sift of any Starr value. I still will occasionally hit some flowers because you can't outgrow your roots.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I have had several different examples of rosin, and I just don't get it. I have even made my own with excellent quality flowers. I just don't care for the flavor of rosin, in general. I feel like some of the terpene flavors are being lost due to the heat used for pressing. Give me properly made and purged Hydrocarbon extracts any time. Being that I still live in "the Land of NO" I have not gotten to try proper ice hash or dry sift of any Starr value. I still will occasionally hit some flowers because you can't outgrow your roots.

Actually the boiling point for many common terpenes is higher than the temperature used to extract.
https://www.steephill.com/science/terpenes

Rosin tastes different because it has a more complex terpene profile than (most) hydrocarbon extracts. Non polar hydrocarbon solvents only pick up certain terpenes (based on their polarity and the solvent/s used to extract them) This exaggerates the taste by focusing on those specific concentrated terpenes which were pulled, since the rest are left behind.

14031593_1830687343833613_37197575_n.jpg

PPN

Volute of Vapor
All dabs seem harsh to me lately compared to a flower hit
Got the same feeling at first but, now, there is some devices producing a very smooth vapor from concentrates.

Habitually I'm a flower guy but like to take a wax pen on the go since convenience, although I noticed the wax/oil to be smoother with some devices and while I'm sick (flu, throat pains, headaches and even stomach pains) I'm vaping exclusively wax with the right devices.

Enails are not the smoother option since the terpènes rush can induce cough , but some devices like the Torch from Yocan or the Trinity tank from W9 for dry hits are perfect for this purpose, vapor is smooth like honey and the high match better my health situation.

Most wax pens are very good for that purpose or to shortened your medication time. I'm dabbing on an enail only when I'm feeling good and get enough time alone or with a very close friend ( last time I powered my enail on, for oil only, was 5 months ago, actually the controller is dedicated to my DIY flower&concentrates vape).

Some wax, mostly the best in taste, are very harsh for the throat if you don't care to lowered the T°... I noticed the decarbed DME extraction I done (extracted AND decarbed in a oven) was a lot smoother for my throat and lungs than most wax despite the fact it doesn't taste like flowers but more like commercial hasch.

Top Bottom