Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

george

Greeney said:
PD or SSV? I can't make my mind up. I know they are different styles, but im all about efficiency and this seems to be perfect!

Gunna vape by yourself usually or maybe 1 other person? Then PD

SSV won't be as efficient but it'll hit for longer on one bowlpack, so it'll be better for group sessions

george,

Nycdeisel

Well if you want efficiency, PD is definitely the best choice.

I have a DBV(similar in many ways to the SSV) and my PD should be here very soon, been waiting over a month and I cant wait to use it!

Nycdeisel,

Greeney

Nycdeisel said:
Well if you want efficiency, PD is definitely the best choice.

I have a DBV(similar in many ways to the SSV) and my PD should be here very soon, been waiting over a month and I cant wait to use it!

How do you like the whip style? I hope you come back and give a comparison, im having a very hard time deciding between the two. I have been using the iolite for quite some time and would like a more readily available desktop version.

Greeney,

Greeney

george said:
Greeney said:
PD or SSV? I can't make my mind up. I know they are different styles, but im all about efficiency and this seems to be perfect!

Gunna vape by yourself usually or maybe 1 other person? Then PD

SSV won't be as efficient but it'll hit for longer on one bowlpack, so it'll be better for group sessions

I mean usually im alone but from time to time a party vape wouldn't be horrible.

Greeney,

Nycdeisel

I really do love my DBV, its been my main device for a while. It has been through a lot of use and is still going strong. I like whip type vaporizers a lot. If anything ever happens to my DBV that it cant be fixed I would get an SSV. They are both great whip type vapes, and are probably the best in that department.

Nycdeisel,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Nycdeisel said:
I really do love my DBV, its been my main device for a while. It has been through a lot of use and is still going strong. I like whip type vaporizers a lot. If anything ever happens to my DBV that it cant be fixed I would get an SSV. They are both great whip type vapes, and are probably the best in that department.

My first real vape was a SSV and about six months later I bought a PD and I find that they're the best of both worlds. Whip style for groups and PD for myself or one other person.
But the less expensive box vapes like the Vapor Bros or VaporBox are also quite good, aside from the aesthetics I'm not sure that the SSV performs any better. Regardless, I'm in Queens, nice to meet you!

jeffp,

Nycdeisel

Yes, I think I will have a little bit of everything once I get my PD, along with my DBV and MFLB.

Nycdeisel,

lwien

Nycdeisel said:
Yes, I think I will have a little bit of everything once I get my PD, along with my DBV and MFLB.

GREAT round up of vapes....................so far. ;)

lwien,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
lwien said:
Nycdeisel said:

GREAT round up of vapes....................so far. ;)

A little bit of everything except of course for the bag vape route which I've yet to try. I'll take that back. I did try a vapormatic I bought cheap used on craigslist but it didn't really work for me, I guess because it didn't work. I gave it away to a neighbor in the building, he said he fixed it but I don't think he cares for it, he prefers his MFLB. The thing is noisy and not too stealth. But I digress. Been a big fan of the PD since I got it a few years ago, and Tom and Pammy are a delight to deal with. You're in for a treat.

jeffp,

Greeney

At this rate anything will be an upgrade in efficiency from my iolite... Been using that myself for a while need something a little bit better for home, thanks for the input!

Greeney,

fallx19

Hey guys quick question. First i've had my pd for about a month now and i absolutely LOVE it! :) i was recently trying to use it as an aroma-therapy diffuser too (i read the thread on here about good e-oils to use, very cool). It wasn't until after reading that i realized i had bought synthetic fragrance oils, which even say on the package they can be harmful.

anyway, i ended up spilling some of the oil into the vape :( it now smells/tastes like the oil, and since it could be harmful i'm worried about inhaling the oil fumes while using the pd.

so at the pd's temperature, does anyone know how long it'll take for oil to burn away/evaporate? i know i'm probably being paranoid lol, but i love how much healthier vaping is than smoking and i'd hate for this to un-do that.

any help is much appreciated! :)

ps first post! :D

fallx19,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
@ fallx19: Welcome. Sorry to hear about the bad news.

I would be hesitant to use for sure. I would likely leave my PD upside down and on for weeks until the smell was completely gone. What product did you use? what does the label say? can you find more information online on inhaling the product you used?

IAmKrazy2,

Flyer

If you had to, I would think removing the leather bottom, cut out the disc of wood and do a full repair, I bet you can be back up and ON in 2 days max.

Flyer,

RichRas

fallx19 said:
Hey guys quick question. First i've had my pd for about a month now and i absolutely LOVE it! :) i was recently trying to use it as an aroma-therapy diffuser too (i read the thread on here about good e-oils to use, very cool). It wasn't until after reading that i realized i had bought synthetic fragrance oils, which even say on the package they can be harmful.

anyway, i ended up spilling some of the oil into the vape :( it now smells/tastes like the oil, and since it could be harmful i'm worried about inhaling the oil fumes while using the pd.

so at the pd's temperature, does anyone know how long it'll take for oil to burn away/evaporate? i know i'm probably being paranoid lol, but i love how much healthier vaping is than smoking and i'd hate for this to un-do that.

any help is much appreciated! :)

ps first post! :D

As any aquarium enthusiast knows, the solution to pollution is dilution. I think I would use mineral oil and regularly flush out your internal workings. Mineral oil is super safe for electrical connections (like cooling motherboards,) i doubt it'd hurt your PD.

RichRas,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
personally I wouldn't flush it out with mineral oil. There is a space in the bottom of the vape that I would worry about, good place for liquids to get trapped and not want to come out. Mineral oil may be safe for electrical collections but I wouldnt want any left over mineral oil in my vape for the same reason I wouldnt want scented oils in my vape. Small amounts of mineral oil may be safe for consumption. But I would rather not breath in any residual traces of it, might heavily affect taste.
If I were to flush it all all I would take out the bottom plug and flush the whole thing with the highest percentage of ISO i could find. but then you would have to go through all the pain of destroying your PD bottom and having to get it fixed. And pulling out the bottom isn't exactly that easy.
Shoot Tom an email and you will more than likely get the correct course of action to take

DevoTheStrange,

Purple-Days

A couple of folks have had this happen, but with nice oils. I have no idea of the toxicity you are dealing with. So can't advise on further use of the PD.

Non-toxic spill solutions: First, aromatics are gonna dissipate with time. Second normal PD heat will increase the dissipation. Third once it's in the wood you may never be able to entirely rid the PD of a slight odor (of course it depends on the original scent, amount of oil spilled and type of oil used). So leaving the unit on and not using it (in an upright position so that air can circulate (not be trapped by turning onto it's top) will speed the dissipation.

Other solutions would include Activated Carbon used in smoke damage restoration (after a week of just leaving it heat on the shelf), and available in small quantities at the aquarium store. Put the unit in a shoebox with the carbon for a week or more. Alternately use Baking soda, another odor absorber. May require changing the carbon or BS after the first go round...

Agree 100% with Devo. Don't do that. Here is the first line of Wikipedia for Mineral Oil. "A mineral oil or liquid petroleum is a liquid by-product of the distillation of petroleum to produce gasoline and other petroleum based products from crude oil." Yuck... :2c:

Purple-Days,

RichRas

The activated carbon sounds like a good idea too. I still think mineral oil is non-toxic and as safe as any solution offered so far (we use it in baby oil, skin products, you can even take it as a laxative). However, given that I don't make these things, and that it would suck to have anything stuck in the cavity of your PD (as per DEVO's thoughts), I would go with Tom's suggestion before trying anything else. But don't rule out using mineral oil, it makes sense to me anyway. :2c:

Maybe you should run it in your washing machine...you could add it to Tom's durability videos :) (just kidding, don't do that...sheesh)

RichRas,

lord

I spilled fragrance oil into the PD once. I thought the PD was ruined. But after a couple days the smell was completely gone.

lord,

fallx19

Thanks so much for the input everyone, I really appreciate it! I used "Elegant Expressions" fragrance oil, by Hosley International Inc (the stuff they sell at walmart). The bottle says it's an eye irritant, harmful if swallowed, and to avoid contact with skin. I couldn't find any info online about inhaling it, but it wasn't a huge amount of oil that spilled; most of it sizzled and smoked away on top of the vape, I'm thinking that very little actually got inside. I've had it plugged in since then and the smell/taste has gradually lessened (at first it tasted strongly of the fragrance, but now the smell and taste are almost all gone). So I'm not trying to find a way to make the scent go away, I'm just wondering if there could be any residual harmful-ness while inhaling, from any that may have gotten in.

I'm hoping that any that may have gotten inside has burned away (it only smoked for a few seconds), and since the taste/smell is gone that any potential health-hazards are gone too

fallx19,

Nycdeisel

If theres no more smell/taste, THEN I would say its safe to inhale from. If it tastes or smells like it, theres probably residue!

Nycdeisel,

Greeney

Hey, do you guys have any idea what the capacity of the bowl is? Kind of interested in exactly how much herb it uses.

Greeney,

lwien

Lot of that depends on how fine your grind your herb and how dry it is, but many here, including myself weighed out our bowls and they weighed out at 0.025g, but consider that a bit on the low side as some people might cram more into those stems than I.

lwien,

Greeney

lwien said:
Lot of that depends on how fine your grind your herb and how dry it is, but many here, including myself weighed out our bowls and they weighed out at 0.025g, but consider that a bit on the low side as some people might cram more into those stems than I.

Basically half of my iotlite... Which is epic, you had both? How can you compare?

Greeney,

lwien

Greeney said:
lwien said:

Basically half of my iotlite... Which is epic, you had both? How can you compare?

The PD is MUCH more efficient.
To me, the PD tastes a whole bunch better.
The PD is easier to use.

But really, they are two different animals with the Iolite being a portable and the PD being a home unit.

lwien,
Top Bottom