Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

lwien

Rudy Rudiger said:
Thanks!

Why did you choose PD over the Buddha lwien?

I'm torn between the two for a little Xmas gift.

The PD is way more efficient, and in these tough economic times, that's a bit more important to me now.
But even if that weren't the case, I see no reason to spend more money on herb than I have to. The PD paid for itself within a few months.

lwien,

Nycdeisel

I have been using my DBV for a while now, and has even become my daily driver. I came to the realization that I could be using way less herb for the same amount of high with something like the PD. I know they are both totally different, but I have no doubt that my PD will become my main unit.

Nycdeisel,

Nycdeisel

2Supra4U said:
theamigo said:
i ordered the 180 on november first. when do you think i'll get it?

3-5 weeks?

:D

haha yep that seems to be the general consensus. I even asked pammy after my order went through, and thats all she could tell me:lol:

Nycdeisel,

Rudy Rudiger

Thanks again for the help lwien, I appreciate it. Can someone please explain what the benefits of choosing bison hide are? Also, does wood choice affect function. I understand that myrtle is more dense and a little cooler, but does it really matter or is it all aesthetics?

I'm into the darker woods, so I guess walnut will do. I would just prefer something a little more exotic. Not a deal breaker.

Rudy Rudiger,

Nycdeisel

lwien said:
This is from Tom, a list of woods on a warm to coolest scale:

Warmest
Alder
Cherry
Black Walnut - plain (figured Black Walnut is not available at this time, we have some curing)
Maple - figured (not available at this time, we have some curing)
Myrtle
Ash (Black Mesquite when cured should be about the same)
Coolest

So, from this scale, it looks like your walnut is going to run a bit cooler than my Cherry unit. Another suggestion. Until you get some hours put on your vape, try out a koozie which will cause your vape to run a bit warmer. Ambient temperatures also have a lot to do with this. If you have a fan blowing on the vape, or it's pretty cool in your house, it will lower the operating temps.

I thought this may help, shows how warm/cool the wood is.

Nycdeisel,

vapormonkey

The wood temps are density related, right? One wouldn't imagine there would be a great temp difference between any of these fine woods and the maker is being very particular here I'd imagine. I would want to use the hardest and heaviest wood I could find. My 100 year old acreage was built with old growth MN pine or oak wood that's so hard and heavy its like lead and you can't even pound nails into it. If I could find a machine strong to machine it I'd make a PD our of it... It would be heavy like lead. I've got 800 year old oak trees as well.

vapormonkey,

shantytown007

realcoolguy said:
shantytown007 said:
clayton said:
i was wondering if any of you have the mflb too and if the PD is worth the 80 dollars more?

Yes.

Can you elaborate? I've read the PD takes up to 45 minutes to heat up.
Aside from not using batteries why is it worth the 80 dollars more exactly?

My PD is on 24/7, always ready, super efficient, and needs no instruction for new users (beyond 'pretend it's a milkshake'). There are no switches, dials, lights, or anything else that would give away its purpose. With extra power supplies set up strategically throughout my place, I can carry a PD from room to room.

Mainly though, it's convenience- with the MFLB, if you leave the battery in too long, you get combustion (vs being able to keep a half done PD tube in and finish it the next day). If you didn't grind finely enough, you get very thin vapor. These may sound like small quibbles, and they are- the MFLB is awesome, but, IMHO, the PD is darn near perfect.

vapormonkey said:
ldn't imagine there would be a great temp difference between any of these fine woods and the maker is being very particular here I'd imagine.

Yeah, I think the temps are all within 5 degrees or so of each other. I did a quick test here with a Walnut PDP and Myrtlewood PD, and could not personally tell the difference in taste or volume. Eyes closed, there is no way I'd be able to tell which one I was hitting. (I'm generally not adept at noticing subtle differences in things, so take with grain of salt.)

shantytown007,

Purple-Days

Temperature is related to wood density (all else the same).

American Cherry and Black Walnut are equals. Alder was only available in a Pandora Kit and is no longer available. Myrtle is a bit (slightly) cooler (on average) than the first two due to density, and White Ash is the coolest for the same reason (also only available as a Pandora Kit).

I have experimented with many woods. Density changes the unit temperature and it is due to R-Value, just like the insulation in the attic of your house changes how well the furnace heats the living area.

Try a piece of Ebony or Pink Ivory (extremely dense) and you will see what I mean, we own and use both. Rosewoods (I own several) are warmer, but still lower than our other woods, Pammy prefers the Rosewoods (asthma related). Not much but it's there, a difference. And therefore: The denser the wood the lower the temp. Not much but it's there, no denying physics / thermodynamics. :science:

Purple-Days,

slurpeejerky711

Tom, and to other various parties,

when i first got the PD a month ago, i first started using it like many of you said, like a thick milkshake. personally, it did not allow the herb to get hot enough so i was not getting very great results

not until 2 or 3 days ago when tom told me to hit it soft and slow, boy its worked so much better and milked the stem oh so nicely! :lol:

so i just wanted to mention my opinion on technique on hitting the stem and that it may be easier for some people a different way than some of you others guys

anyway, cheers to all, great forum, great people, great vapes, great apes!

slurpeejerky711,

Rudy Rudiger

b.rubble said:
Just ordered the PD Pandora kit. Damn I am excited.

What was your choice of wood?

I'm really having trouble deciding. I wish there was a way I could get a tea tree one for a little extra cash.

Rudy Rudiger,

Rudy Rudiger

I believe tea tree is in the middle range of wood density. So I assume its probably on the warm side. Just a guess.

Rudy Rudiger,

alexwallis

that scale was quite interesting.
so does that mean, that if your wood is towards the hot end of the scale, your PD can reach higher temperatures than PDS constructed out of woods that are on the cool end of the scale?
Or is this scale simply about which woods retain heat best?

does anyone know where I can get a koozy in the UK? As can't seem to find anywhere on line that is UK based.

Also, another question, but if you want your unit to run hotter, is it possible to use a power supply that puts out more amps with the PD? like with the MZ
or would doing this either shorten the life of the PD or damage it?

alexwallis,

Rudy Rudiger

What temps are you trying to reach alexwallis?

From what I know the PD runs in the 370's. Which in my opinion, is kind of high to begin with, but everyone is different. The different density of the wood only has minor affects.

Rudy Rudiger,

b.rubble

Rudy Rudiger said:
b.rubble said:
Just ordered the PD Pandora kit. Damn I am excited.

What was your choice of wood?

I'm really having trouble deciding. I wish there was a way I could get a tea tree one for a little extra cash.

Figured I couldn't go wrong with the American cherry.

b.rubble,

alexwallis

I don't have any particular target temperatures in mind, the PD reaches temperatures of around 190 degrees C, which is pretty near the optimum temperature for starting to vaporize THC, which actually boils apparently at 200 degrees C.

But I would just like to have the option of using any possible methods of increasing temperature, I believe in being prepared. hence the questions. increasing the temperature might also help with vaping material again.
Of course if using a higher voltage or amp power supply would shorten the life of the PD or damage it then I wouldn't do that, I was just interested.

I have asked all my friends who I can think of, and they have never heard of a koozy in the UK, oh well, guess I just need to carry on googling, maybe they are only widely used in the US and outside Europe.

alexwallis,

lwien

alexwallis said:
Of course if using a higher voltage or amp power supply would shorten the life of the PD or damage it then I wouldn't do that, I was just interested.

Very well could shorten the life of a PD. I wouldn't do it. May even void the warranty being that you would be using it beyond it's operating parameters.

lwien,

fuckyourcouch

Got money out the ass no homo but i'm rich
alexwallis said:
I have asked all my friends who I can think of, and they have never heard of a koozy in the UK, oh well, guess I just need to carry on googling, maybe they are only widely used in the US and outside Europe.

A koozy is what us americans keep our beer in boy.

fuckyourcouch,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Nycdeisel said:
lol I found these koozies, really, they say Koozies.
http://www.extra-mile.com/promotion/foamhold.htm

I did the koozie thing when I was into experimenting with the PD but for me it was a short lived novelty and I prefer the vape in its normal state.
The only additions that I use with any regularity are the glass tubes and the wood tubes from Ed. Unrelated I guess but also if Tom has the Billy Bowls
on his page I highly recommend getting one as they are gorgeous; truly luxury stash bowls.

jeffp,

Rudy Rudiger

So I ordered the black walnut PD as an xmas gift for a friend. Keeping my fingers crossed that it makes it here in time.

The gift that keeps on giving.

Rudy Rudiger,
Top Bottom