Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Rastamook

I'm having some problems as of yesterday with my PD, where it will heat up, and after a little while... maybe an hour or so, cools down completely as if it's shut off. I've had to unplug the unit and replug it in, and so far I've been lucky and it'll work for a little while. Does this sound like a problem with the unit itself, or the power cord? Still love the PD, just want to get this sorted out.

Thanks!

Rastamook,

hereatlast

Ya sounds like that to me, but to check: try plugging the unit into the car-adaptor. If that works than it must be the power adapter to blame and not the PD.

I actually had a little trouble replacing the plug-end. Tried once last week but couldn't really handle the small connection. Got the other plug-end that came in the 2 pack so I'll give it a shot this weekend.

hereatlast,

Purple-Days

Yes the car cord is a great troubleshooter. Make sure the red LED is lit indicating power and a good fuse. In 5-10 minutes you will feel heat on the metal parts.

To check the power supply plug it into a (known working) wall outlet. Don't plug the PD in. Check the power supply with the back of your hand after 30 minutes. If it's warm, the power supply is still functioning and you can get replacement plug ends at Radio Shack 2 for $2.99. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103614

Yep, they are small and not so easy to replace.

Check our FAQ page http://purple-days.com/FAQ.html for specs if you decide to replace the entire power supply.

Purple-Days,

Rastamook

Thanks folks. I appreciate it. I'll be testing the car cord tomorrow. The power supply seems to be giving off a little bit of heat, so it must be the plug. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to these things though, and if you say they aren't easy to replace, I'll probably be better off just ordering the replacement supply. I'll probably be ordering one from you soon, Tom!

Rastamook,

alexwallis

Hi all.
my name is Alex, I am the latest in a long line of PD owners. I am happy to say it is actually my first and hopefully only vaporizer. Though unfortunately I haven't had a chance to make use of it yet, as I am out of herb, and probably won't be able to get any for several weeks.
Though I have been following this thread with great interest and have read through some of the posts on it, with grate amusement.
I certainly plan to document my experiences once I get some herb in.

But for now, I have a question regarding the use of buzz-butter.
I was feeling board last night, and so decided I would like to put in a bit of work applying a coat to my PD just to kill some time, and I am sure you can never show your PD two much TLC.

So I plugged it in, and allowed it to completely warm up, I then placed a Buzz-Butter tin on the top over the heat exchanger, as I saw recommended in another thread in order to soften it.
Once it was soft enough, I got some of the butter and put it on a Kleenex, and applied a liberal coating to the Wallnut body of my PD.
Now this is where my first question comes in, I know that it clearly states don't get any on the heat exchanger, unfortunately I think I got a little bit go down between the would and the metal tube of the exchanger where the bowl is placed. Though I am pretty sure none went inside the actual tube itself, so do I need to worry about this?

my next question is, after applying the coat to the PD, being sure to get none on the power jack I unplugged it and allowed the unit to cool down to room temperature.
However, this morning, my PD now has a kind of residue on it, its not exactly sticky but it definitely feels waxy, and maybe a bit sticky, but it doesn't remain on your fingers after touching it. The PD does smell delicious now though.
So is this waxy residue texture normal? Will it go with time as I use the PD? Or should I get a damp cloth and give it a bit of a wipe down?
I didn't do that before, as I thought that might take the butter off and defeat the hole purpose of applying a coat.

Many thanks for your help,
Alex.

alexwallis,

Frickr

yes that sticky feel is normal after you get done polishing your wood :lol:
i usually leave a thicker coat on all night with it plugged in, i find that the wood will soak up alot of the wax, and whatevers left over i buff into the wood with a soft cloth. but speaking of which, i think its about time i put on a little more buzzbutter!

Frickr,

alexwallis

OK, thanks for the help.
I will plug it back in and leave it over night tonight, and see what its like in the morning.

Another question, I was reading a few posts that speak of pds developing rattles, and that's due to the heat exchanger not being in place correctly, because of clips coming loose, hope I understand that right.

But, I don't particularly want to develop any rattles in the first place, and then have a need to fix the clips on the exchanger.

So, what tips do people have for minimising the risk of clips coming loose that cause said Rattling? Is there any way for me to tell if a clip is starting to come loose? As of course with these things I guess its good to nip them in the bud as soon as possible.
Of course if its going to happen at all, I hope it won't be for a long time, as its a new unit, but I like to keep an eye on long term possibilities.

alexwallis,

hereatlast

In my experience the rattle developed after a good drop. Don't drop it :cool:

Glad you're happy with the new PD, I've been enjoying my Black Walnut unit immensely. Still warming up for sure. Gotta post a pic of it.

hereatlast,

Rastamook

I'm glad Alex asked about the Buzz Butter. I was wondering the best way to go about applying it also. Also, what's the best thing to use? cloth?

Oh, and I was able to buy a new power supply. I didn't really want to wait to get a new one shipped. Luckily, Radio Shack also sells one at the proper specs. So I'm back in business!

Rastamook,

alexwallis

You really have to let it soften by warming it, either on the heat exchanger or in your pocket.
Even though I let mine soften, I really made a mess of this tin, what I did in order to get it out, was eventually wrap a kleenex round my fingers to avoid getting Buzz-butter under my nails, and then gouged out a few lumps my tin now really looks a bit of a mess, lots of holes poked in the butter. I then had to pick the lumps out put them on the kleenex, and start wiping it round the body. Probably not the best way to do things at all.

alexwallis,

vapormonkey

Was at the site and saw all these set-ups you could buy. Are these available in order to fabricate your own from your own block of wood or for repair parts? How much better is "dark fin" tech compared to the old Eterra? Would love to vape up on that Oregon coast with the purple flowers. No wonder why vaping and the west coast go hand in hand. It's beautiful.

vapormonkey,

slurpeejerky711

i cant seem to get really really stoned when using the PD since i got it, i think i just need some tips

im taking in long deep and hard inhale, getting clouds, and i will admit i am getting a bit of a buzz but not yet to neptune

also tried big and little ammount in stem while using, packing it tight and try to pack a bit looser

was trying dry fine ground bud and small cut fresh bud

slurpeejerky711,

spentskeeper

A heating pad with a plate on top of it makes for a good bud dryer. It will warm up the PD quicker as well. My 2 cents.

spentskeeper,

slurpeejerky711

spentskeeper said:
A heating pad with a plate on top of it makes for a good bud dryer. It will warm up the PD quicker as well. My 2 cents.

i leave it on 24/7 where it doesnt get hit with any window air so its stays fairly hot but i really do want to get a koozie cover for it to run warmer

as far as clouds, i hold them in for 10 or 15seconds

slurpeejerky711,

clayton

i was wondering if any of you have the mflb too and if the PD is worth the 80 dollars more? Or is that not even really the issue, it's more of if you're going to smoke predominantly at home or in the car versus any where else?

clayton,

alexwallis

Hi, what is a koozie cover? I have scene mention of them, but not exactly sure what they are, and also where do I order one from? I couldn't see them listed on the PD site. are they like a kind of insulating cover to trap the heat?

alexwallis,

Nycdeisel

I believe that a "koozie cover" is just some type of foam can holder that goes over your entire unit to keep it warmer.

Anyway, I am proud to say that I just ordered a Myrtle PD for myself and a Cherry unit for my friend as well!:D I cant wait for them to arrive, I need to read up more of this thread!!:ninja:

Nycdeisel,

CombustionJunction

What's Your Function?
A koozie is what you put on your beer so it doesn't get cold.
45081_Collapsible_Koozie_Can_Kooler.jpg

They sell them everywhere. Try the beer section of your grocery store or liquor store.

CombustionJunction,

alexwallis

lol why wouldn't you want it to get cold? I thought only the english had a reputation for liking warm beer.
At this point I should say that I am English, and that I don't drink beer or laga at all, I hate the taste.
On the other hand I do like a nice cold can or bottle of Cyder, and I certainly wouldn't want to drink that warm.
But I suppose its all a matter of personal taste, cold beer is unpleasant, but I don't know why someone would choose to drink warm or room temperature beer.

I don't get people who put ice in there Cyders or beers, for me that's just a bit two cold, and the water from the ice ruins the taste, I don't have ice in any drinks at all due to that and also sensitive teeth.
OK, I will stop rambling now, as its going off topic.

alexwallis,
hemp;)goofy8cheerio,

Purple-Days

Slurpee says, "im taking in long deep and hard inhale," Slow down, you should be taking a long deep and slow inhale. Fast air travel (over the heat exchanger) means the air is not heated to the proper temperature. You will get thin vapor, but not good thick vapor. Also dry material, ground up works better.

Vapormonkey, The fins (and later Dark Fins) are to increase surface area off the heat exchanger. The radiator of your car has fins, heatsinks on electronic components have fins. When thinking about how to improve on earlier products, this was something that seemed obvious to me. Since my materials were 304 (and 316) Stainless I started out using shiny stainless throughout. Black Oxide Stainless seemed a further obvious improvement. The best absorbers are the best radiators and we all know black objects heats better than white or reflective objects. We also went from 60 fins to 72 fins to further increase surface area.

Vapormonkey, the parts you see laid out are on the Pandora Kit pages, this is a kit that you assemble yourself. Long story behind the name (nothing to do with a recent cartoon movie). There is a thread here about that product and some comments from folks who have built the kit. http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=2465

Purple-Days,
Top Bottom