Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Purple-Days

Vapenow has the 30 we sent and the last 30 are in process. You may cancel at any time, just write VapeNow.com . They have lots of other vaporizers in stock and would be glad to apply your purchase price to one of those or give you a prompt refund. No need to be mad or frustrated, you can fix it at any time.

Purple-Days,

InFriNiTee

MMJ Patient
I have had my PD for a bit now. Loved it every moment. The HE is rattling around in mine. I have pushed the C-shaped clip back. I have been having the same problems as
Q-bit. The bad thing is that I tried mine with the car charger, and it won't power on the red light. Indoor, the PD get's slightly warm, but not warm enough to vape anything. What is your suggestion?

edit: NEVERMIND - I replaced the power adapter. The PD works just as great as it ever did! Thank you so much for the best accessory in the world Tom! :2c: :D

InFriNiTee,

hereatlast

Hey jimbo I've got that exact diffuser and love it. For what's its worth, about three months ago the EHLE diffuser shattered (not their fault obviously :ko: ) and I was left with the regular downstem; although I ordered a new one immediately I had about two weeks to remember why I loved it so much.

Especially with the PD Devo is right on about the more consistent pull/airflow IME, while ultimately its a matter of feel and preference, I DO think that the diffy allows a more even cooking of the PD bowl. The chugginess of the regular downstem cooks the bowl just fine but I think I'm able to get a smoother milk with the diffy than with the open holed downstem. Ultimately if you had them side by side it just feels tighter and smoother, definitely worth it IMO and the EHLE diffusers are nothing to sneeze at, great product for the price.

hereatlast,

jimbo

winterize
Thanks hereatlast and Devo for your help in answering my question, pulled the trigger and ordered today, can't wait to get it!

jimbo,

rubbersoul

I've had mine for quite some time now, and it has been a wonderful ride. Unfortunately, I think I may have to part with it soon :( my job has just implemented random drug tests :uhoh:

ma always said life isn't fair.

rubbersoul,

getvaked

rubbersoul said:
I've had mine for quite some time now, and it has been a wonderful ride. Unfortunately, I think I may have to part with it soon :( my job has just implemented random drug tests :uhoh:

ma always said life isn't fair.
i'm sorry, i'm sorry...i thought this was america

l35d069750000_1_26715.jpg

hehe that does suck tho...glad i don't have to deal with that anymore.

getvaked,

IanJMcG

hey i'm currently having a semi-problem with a pd i just bought second hand. the power cord I have seems to have a pretty loose connection to the unit and often slips out a bit without me noticing it and the unit will start to cool off. I have to check the cord constantly to avoid this happening, which is rather annoying. I found that if i just toss a rubber band around the bottom of the pd it works fine and I never have to worry about this, but it just sort of ruins the beautiful organic aesthetic of it all. Now the charger I have is a replacement radioshack one, NOT the jameco one which typical comes with a pd. If i order the jameco piece, will it have a tighter fit to the power socket on the pd or will I still be better off just throwing a rubber band around it to stop it from possibly coming unplugged?

EDIT: Basically what I'm asking is do those of you with a PD ever have any trouble with your power adapter coming slightly out from the unit without you noticing?

IanJMcG,

badjuju

flying high
IanJMcG said:
hey i'm currently having a semi-problem with a pd i just bought second hand. the power cord I have seems to have a pretty loose connection to the unit and often slips out a bit without me noticing it and the unit will start to cool off. I have to check the cord constantly to avoid this happening, which is rather annoying. I found that if i just toss a rubber band around the bottom of the pd it works fine and I never have to worry about this, but it just sort of ruins the beautiful organic aesthetic of it all. Now the charger I have is a replacement radioshack one, NOT the jameco one which typical comes with a pd. If i order the jameco piece, will it have a tighter fit to the power socket on the pd or will I still be better off just throwing a rubber band around it to stop it from possibly coming unplugged?
Well does the power adapter you have right now have the exact same dimensions as the jameco? If so you'd be better off with a rubber band but personally I think it's worth it to get a new power adapter just in case (it never hurts to have a spare).

badjuju,

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
Hi all.... Just got my PD few dasy ago... I have only had a chance to use it twice so far and had a question...

Is there some trick to keeping your tobaco from falling out.... I have noticed that sometimes even after tapping on the end, the tobaco can easiley fall out... I even feel like I almost have to turn the unit sideways so this wont happen?

Any tips on what I might be doing wrong??? Do I need to fill the tip completly full and then tap on the end to get it to stay? Could my tobaco be grind too fine?

Also I only seem to get one good hit and then I have to fill the tip again... The instructions said I should get 2 or 3 hits? Maybe that has to do with I am not filling the tip ful enough..

Thanks!

Kuroth1,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Kuroth, what grinder are you using? If the material is dry powder there's nothing to told it together. If you're using an electric coffee grinder it's most likely the cause.
Normally this doesn't happen - in fact my current favorite method of loading a tube is to tap the tube into the stash and let it fill up effortlessly, then I just tamp it down slightly with my finger,
turn it upside down just to make sure it's not falling out, and then proceed to vape about four or five good hits from that load.

My preparation technique is as follows - I put a few buds in a shotglass and let the shotglass rest on top of the unit overnight. It's suitably dry by first light.
Then I grind the material - I have two very good two piece grinders, a space case and Ed's from Ed's TNT (wood grinder) - either or; it's simply a matter of aesthetic preference in my opinion.
I turn the grinder a few times until I don't feel resistance from the material.
I dump the ground material into, in my case, Tom;'s "Billy Bowl" but any stash bowl is fine.
When dumping out of the grinder I make sure I get all the kief stuck inside the grinder; that's the payoff from using the two piece grinder, but I digress.

See if these tips help.

Or - could also be maybe the material you're using is shake (powder to begin with), is that the case?

jeffp,

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
Hi... Thanks for the fast reply... I am not sure what shake is but I grow my own Tobaco.... The batch I have now is almost 8 months old.. I keep it in glass jars.. Could it be too dry? Or mabey I grind it too fine... I have a 2 piece plastic type grinder.. I turn it 5 or 6 times when grinding.. Maybe I should try just turing it 2 or 3 times as not to grind it too fine..

Yea I am not sure on why I only seem to get one good hit... I am thinking I am only fillng the tip up half way.. Do you fill the tip up to where it full??? Meaning full all the way to the end?

Thanks again for your tips..

Ohhhh Shake.. meaning Non Bud?? No mine is bud...

Kuroth1,

badjuju

flying high
Kuroth1 said:
Hi... Thanks for the fast reply... I am not sure what shake is but I grow my own Tobaco.... The batch I have now is almost 8 months old.. I keep it in glass jars.. Could it be too dry? Or mabey I grind it too fine... I have a 2 piece plastic type grinder.. I turn it 5 or 6 times when grinding.. Maybe I should try just turing it 2 or 3 times as not to grind it too fine..

Yea I am not sure on why I only seem to get one good hit... I am thinking I am only fillng the tip up half way.. Do you fill the tip up to where it full??? Meaning full all the way to the end?

Thanks again for your tips..

Ohhhh Shake.. meaning Non Bud?? No mine is bud...
By shake we mean bud that is like sand (size wise) it's just the really small crumb-like herb that gathers at the bottom of jars/containers (shake is just the little weed particles that aren't NUGS). What you want to do is grind your herb or tobacco up (not too fine) and let it dry overnight then when you fill up the tip make sure it's completely filled then tap down on the tip to make sure the herb is firmly situated and if you want turn it upside down to test if it's loose or not. If you do this you should be getting 3-5 decent hits every time. If you're not make sure you're letting the PD heat up to it's optimum temperature (around 30-45 minutes). Good luck!

badjuju,

Willeh

(Edited. This isn't really to anyone in specific but rather just a warning about the fusion/nexxtech power transformers)

I had a radioshack 'nexxtech' and later rebranded when I picked another one up off the warranty 'fusion' that does not work well with the purple days. Where the tip meets the wire, (Not where the wire meets the jack) over time, gets loose inside then eventually will cause the unit to be cool sometimes and hot sometimes with the unit being fully plugged in, and the tip fully plugged in. I got a new tip and wire off warranty and taped it up with a little bit of black electrical tape, and it seems to work good for now. But watch out for that, and maybe tape your tip to the wire to make sure problems don't happen there/the prongs get bent or loose inside.

Willeh,

Purple-Days

There are two very similar tip sizes. A Type M 2.1mm x 5.5mm that we use and a Type N 2.5mm x 5.5mm that we do not use. The 2.5 mm is a loose fit and will not work properly. You cannot tell the difference by eye. :shrug:

Willeh says, "I got a new tip ... and it seems to work good for now." Well, a new tip won't tighten, "... 'loose' inside from being used..." but the correct tip will fit correctly.

(^^^ Thanks for clearing that up, Willeh. I wondered what the difference could be, and yes I have seen some plug ends in my life, that weren't quite right, after all we are talking 1/10 of a mm increments and tolerance on an order above that, some may just be defects and not represent a manufacturers whole output... maybe not all of their [fusion/nexxtech power transformers] product is like that, maybe it is... It's why we have always used Jameco / Reliapro #10081 power supplies. No substitutes even though the price keeps going up along with everything else.)

Edit, all power supplies have info on the housing. maybe you can track down the nominal tip size for that power supply based on part number or model. The internet is a powerful tool.

Using the wrong tip size will cause intermittent power and lower temperatures. :uhoh:

While I appreciate folks trying to give tech answers, they may not be the right answers :cool: . If someone has a technical question they can e-mail us for the best information.

Sure, folks can answer usage questions and lots of other stuff... But unless you know the answer, to a technical question, you may not be helping.

+++

A bit of update, all units, to fill existing orders at Vapenow.com, were sent out Monday.
That is the end of the wait list at Vapenow.com . :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

Vapenow.com
has ordered the next batch which will be sold when they are on Vapenow.com 's shelf, ready for shipment. Back to work... :nod:

+++

The new batch, and batches after this, will be American Cherry and another North American hardwood, to be announced. You will have a choice and will have to decide. Both will be shod in our dark purple-leather. All will have our laser 'purple sun' trademark logo. :buzz:

The bodies for this batch (and several more batches) have just returned from the laser man and will be bored and tapped over the next few days. Maybe late next week these units will go to Vapenow.com .

+++

I was going to take a couple weeks off, but a (rather large) business transaction is going to keep me close to home for a while, and I might as well spend the time making PDs. Still gonna take some time off, but not right now. :whip:

+++

ps. the term 'shake', to us old folks, meant the stuff you got in a bag that was not buds, but wasn't stems or seeds. Stems, seeds, 'shake' and buds which of course had seeds. :cool:

+++
ps. Kuroth1, welcome to the forum. :)
You can expect a half full tip to fall out. That's also why you get half the results. Try a full tip load. :2c:

Purple-Days,

IQslump

Purple-Days said:
I was going to take a couple weeks off, but a (rather large) business transaction is going to keep me close to home for a while, and I might as well spend the time making PDs. Still gonna take some time off, but not right now. :whip:
It's even better this way. The reduced stress from getting rid of the list is already going to feel like a vacation. The cool thing is that you'll be getting work done and still feel relaxed. When you actually take time off it's going to feel pretty cool. Enjoy it.

I'm now eagerly awaiting the arrival of my PD. :D:D:D

IQslump,

Vapist

Received mine a week ago and love it. Thank you. Worth the wait. I vape a lot on the go with the MFLB and/or the Iolite, but there is a distinct and special pleasure to come home and enjoy the sensory experience of the PD. The warm feeling in the hand, the look (I did not have a choice--I received a cherry wood with no light and brown paisly bottom). The on 24 hours thing is great too. That was one of the issues I had with the vapor tower (which I still love in a different way but use mostly now as a diffuser...)

PD, I dig.

Does anyone know if billy bowls to complement the set will become available again or where I might get one?

Vapist,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Correct me if i am wrong, but the wood dealer that made the Billy Bowls is no longer in business with Tom. I am sure you could find something similar though.

IAmKrazy2,

Purple-Days

That's right. I wasn't happy with the inconsistent quality of the work on PD products. :/

Beautiful bowls, :) but these folks used foil stickers to cover the bottom hole (where the piece attached to the lathe). I had to take these off and inlay a 1" leather 'patch'. Nice, but... stickers??? The work on the PD bodies was the real problem. Just too many unusable bodies coming back. Some great, some garbage. There came a day when I looked at Highway 101 and said to Pammy, "there are several options".

Quite a while before we started using a laser etched logo, a medical tech asked me, if I had ever stopped in at our current laser man's shop. No, I hadn't, but had seen his sign. Maybe 8 or 10 miles from my place... It's where we are at now... Good guy, also a former tradesman, we see eye to eye. And a much better laser machine (or better operator), deeper more defined engraving. The wood turner is an older, wiry fellow, very nice lathe work, been doing it for... well he used to work at the other place till they changed hands a couple times.

I still turn units, but the bulk are being spun by this fellow. I am standing all day boring, taking an evening break. back at it in a few. It's nice to give part of the work to locals... and save my back a little.

I walked into our current laser man's wood shop, said, 'hello' and asked if they were working at capacity. I'm sure he thought I was selling something or looking for work... :lol: Turns out, they are happy to have the business and proud of their work. The sort of folks we like. I'm happy to share some of the work with them.

Purple-Days,

PepeParada

Hi! I've had a PD since July '09, and loved it since the beginning, always keeping it on 24/7.

The unfortunate thing is that I've actually just gone through my 3rd power plug. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but after a while the cord apparently starts to lose connection at random, leaving the unit cooling off with no warning. This last one still gets warm at the power plug casing, but no matter how I stick it into the PD, it won't stay heated up. I'm not such a handyman as to replace the tip, and I don't even know for sure that's the issue.

But the real question is this. So after this 3rd power plug started to fail me, I got this brilliant idea: I still have the car adapter! And with a long phone cord too, so it'll be easier to use and less prone to get messed up. So I get one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QFIS12
So I get it and plug it in, still pretty happy with myself for having thought of an alternative to yet another expensive power replacement from vapenow ($20+$10shipping). So red light in car adapter is on, unit starts heating up, everything's fine, except now the PD never gets to a proper temperature to be usable. It does get *almost* there, but even after 36 hours of continuous power, I just can't get any vapor from it. As I said, I've had this for over a year, using it daily (when it works) so I know how to use it. But it just has me baffled that the car adapter seems to not yield enough power? Or is this set up that I thought of just not supported for some reason? I guess next step is to get a generic one from radioshack, but to be honest I'm tired of replacing this part.
Tom, or anybody else, any tips or comments are welcome :)

have a nice day.

PepeParada,

rsjrv99

PepeParada said:
Hi! I've had a PD since July '09, and loved it since the beginning, always keeping it on 24/7.......

have a nice day.
why dont you try and put a small piece of electrical tape around the plug that connects into the unit, to get a tighter fit?

or does it stay plugged in fine, but just randomly turns off?

rsjrv99,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
PepeParada said:
Hi! I've had a PD since July '09, and loved it since the beginning, always keeping it on 24/7.
Tom, or anybody else, any tips or comments are welcome :)

have a nice day.
It may be an internal wiring issue and not an external wire issue. Shoot Tom an email. If it is an internal issue he more than likely will recognize the problem.

My PD pretty much did exactly what you are describing, and it turned out to be an internal issue not my power supplies.
I have that exact wall adapter for my car cord, and it works well with my PD.

DevoTheStrange,
Top Bottom