Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
right - i associate heavy toothpick with a pokey stick for whip vapes, as an aside I have gotten good results lightly scraping the PD screen between loads with a pokey stick to clear the path, which allows me to avoid soaking the tube as frequently as I would normally do.

jeffp,

sneezyjesus

Lightly Toasted
Purple-Days said:
Funny, Newton was an alchemist... So he certainly didn't know everything. I forget who said it, but 'you can't railroad till it's time to railroad'. Yeah, I had a telescope and am very interested in space (and time). Copernicus, Keppler, Newton... Einstein. Everybody builds on previous work (me too). BTW I think Obama is an idiot for abandoning the return to the Moon. Niel Armstrong agrees. Build on previous work. We just found water there, and the solar wind across the rims of south pole craters is making free electricity. It's only three days away, maybe that just not exiting enough to get re-elected. I'm not being political, I think they are all jerks.

Another batch of PDs went out Friday. Working on more today, of course.

New tool in the shop yesterday. I ghetto rigged another tool with about $5 worth of stuff from the hardware (and two bike rides) and have the near equivalent of a thousand dollar tool I once used. Been puzzling this one for almost 2 years and then it hits me how to do it. Building on the work of others. ;) Can't say what it is, such a work (Newton) saver.
It's all fascinating stuff, the history of how we as people have learned about the world around us. Even the closer to home developments are significant; it must be a good feeling to go from a $1000 tool to something just as good that you've created for a fraction of the price.

I regards to loading techniques, Tom hit the nail on the head. Simply having the bud lay on the screen with the unit sideways on an inclined angle makes a world of difference: I used the last of my Jack Herrer for a week, only putting in a single flake of it in the stem at a time. I got wispy but punch-pacing hits every time, and I used maybe a TENTH of the PD stem's bowl. The pure uniformity of the heat-stream created when using my PD always makes me smile.

Used my PD for the first time in a couple weeks when I restocked, it's been getting me through the symptoms of an allergic reaction I've had to some antibiotics. Couple of stems and I stop feeling the burning, I lurv my PD :D

sneezyjesus,

Purple-Days

I enjoy tools and just added another to the shop. Didn't really 'need' it, just had to have it, kinda thing. Good sharpening stones are getting expensive and harder to find. Sandpaper has been an alternative sharpening surface for a long while. Grandpa introduced me to Crocus Cloth when I was young. It is a specialty cloth for a mirror finish / razor edge. Of course , coarse papers are used in progression.

A really flat sub surface is needed, for best results, glass is commonly used for this purpose. They spray adhesive on the back of the sandpaper and stick it to glass. At least that's how you are supposed to do it. I always just picked a flat tool surface (table saw etc.) and laid the paper on it and sorta fought it as it moves around.

The solution, and pretty cheap, is a 2" thick Granite surface plate. 9" x 12" . It came with a certificate of flatness precision... 0.001mm/m ... Serious, that's <=1/1000th of a millimeter per meter. :o Intended for a machine shop as a 'perfect surface' . Anyway for $30 I had to have it, and wet sandpaper sticks by capillary action. Should be good for chisels and other blades.

Don't want to give all my secrets away. ;) But this is a fun one to share. :cool:
http://www.ptreeusa.com/sharpening.htm Scroll down.
vgh37m.jpg

Purple-Days,

Flyer

Tom, we use corundum/red or ruby stone, then to agate then to leather. See your pretty smile on the surface.;)

Flyer,
Hey, some simple question about the Purple Days:
1. How many its to you take from a fully loaded ''stem''?
2. Are you suposed to keep the ''stem'' in the Purple days, or remove it when not puffing?

Big Dick Baller,

Pammy-Days

Lovely Assistant
Hi there,

1. As many as you can get :o (for me it's usually between 3-5)
2. You can leave it in or pull it out between. (me, I like to leave it in for the whole tube)

Have a good one :peace:

Pammy-Days,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
If you're concerned about material dropping out of the tube between hits you can rest the PD on its side with the tube in it. The adapter will keep it from rolling. That's how I do it.

jeffp,

sour

After I take the first hit the weed is stuck in place even in the upright position.

sour,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
yeah, I found the same thing to be true. The first hit locks it in pretty good. I use mine upright frequently and never really had the problem of dropping herb inside..

HighSti,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
yeah but if it's bone dry and ground very fine it's possible, but i agree it's not a common occurrence.

jeffp,

Ash

vaporist
I find that with good quality herb there is very little that falls out of the bowl when upright. With mids, however, I am a lot less comfortable standing up the PD with a tube in it, even after a 'sealing' hit.

BTW, I have a tip for a tamping tool. I have a package of 10 pr of nice wood chopsticks. They are tapered, so I eyeballed where it was about the diameter of the bowl and sawed through it. Now I have two very nice tamping tools, one short and one long. Of course, don't tamp too hard or no airflow. :|

Ash,

Purple-Days

:o You remember the missing shipment?

Wow, UPS started a nightmare. Somehow Amazon, and some other packages, have a symbol on their UPS label (it looks like a bow-tie or shoe-laces tied, from the era when packages were tied with string, UPS uniforms still have this insignia). The driver doesn't scan these like other packages. They get scanned at the terminal. I'm not sure why this is, but I believe my driver John. More about him later. :tup:

I think (IMO) what happened next... the package doesn't get scanned, on arrival, at the terminal and goes down the conveyor. Somewhere, likely the next stop it flags as a bad number or whatever and gets a new number. UPS does a great job of delivering (I still support UPS, the package got to it's destination) but somehow gets the numbers and tracking screwed up. So using the UPS numbers was no help in confirming delivery. They screwed up (from what I can tell) but in the end they delivered the package to it's destination, and that's really their only job.

Funny, I could tell by the customer input, the missing units didn't 'seem' to be missing.

After the package is delivered, probably on time and where it was supposed to go, nobody knows it and I have no way to prove it.

Sometimes things get delayed, even un-reasonably. So no urgency, I decided to wait and see if either the package shows up or somebody realizes they have it.

I get John's supervisor's number and call. We talk breifly, he has known this package was a problem for one month (about), takes a bit of info... calls back and says he has an emergency and gives me a number (I have had no follow up from him). I get a lady 4 hours from here... 'She can't do anything unless Amazon files a claim..." Of course with UPS showing no record of pickup or tracking....

The UPS lady gives me a Amazon number. You gotta imagine I didn't have much hope of proving to Amazon that I shipped a package. Imagine how many scammers are in the world. Why would they believe me?

I get an Amazon Answering machine... I can believe that, it's getting late in the day on the east coast. Believe it or not I get a return call that evening from a different Amazon person. I explain the situation and give her almost all the info I have (should have given John's number but forgot). This was a Wednesday and she said she would let me know something by Friday (almost a week ago)... it took longer than she expected to get to the bottom, and I was about to just give up hope, toss my money to the wind.

Ring.Ring.Ring... this morning, I said, "Good Morning, Purple-Days" ... " This is ______, at Amazon, can I speak to Tom?" Well, I didn't expect much, but was excited that I got a return call. She told me that the package was received and product had been forwarded to customers.

Pretty dramatic change of events. 10 weeks of fun in the PD Experience.

Flyer I think I just got some leather you will like for a strop. This horse hide is tough as nails and slick, I'll send some your way. Folks, this is too tough to cut for most folks with most scissors, so we will be removing it from the Pandora choices. I'' be telling Pammy to contact any who wanted this stuff. Beautiful color, very nice, but not an easy to work with choice. We will still sell it, it's nice, but not for everyone. I'll make a comment about it next to the buy choice.

The next phase of PD Land, after 'the list' may include some more leather choices, just like the Pandora. especially the Real Bison Hide, it is very nice. :D Yellar Lizard, and Black Snakeskin embossed cowhide are both impressive and likely choices... We will see.

Purple-Days,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Amazing story - I have nothing but good things to say about Amazon and their customer support.
About two years ago I had bought my daughter a video game system from Amazon and had it sent to her as she lives out of state.
To our knowledge it had never arrived, I emailed them and received an almost immediate response with an apology and a promise to ship out another one immediately, and the charge for the
first one was dropped, no questions asked.
As it happens the first video game system was in fact delivered but it was dropped in their back yard, and they were unaware that it had arrived.
Of course I contacted Amazon to rebill me for the first one and I decided to keep the second one for when she's here, but regardless for such a large corporation they really do have
a very responsive human quality.
Glad things worked out in the end Tom.

jeffp,
How do you guys easily remove the ABV herbs from the Stem?

I'm using a pocket knife with a small blade to clean the inside, I'm sure there is a way way, btw I collect my abv so blowing air throught it isn't pratical

Big Dick Baller,

lwien

Big Dick Baller said:
How do you guys easily remove the ABV herbs from the Stem?

I'm using a pocket knife with a small blade to clean the inside, I'm sure there is a way way, btw I collect my abv so blowing air throught it isn't pratical
Why isn't it practical. I blow out my ABV into that little blow bag that Tom provides, and then I empty that bag into a Billy Bowl. Works great for me.

lwien,

max

Out to lunch
Blowing the spent herb out of the vapor tube is by far the quickest, easiest, and most efficient way. I blow mine into a pill bottle. Lots of items you can blow it into. You just need enough room to prevent blow back, and do it when the bowl is hot. Blowing it out of a cold tube doesn't work well. Digging it out, with anything, is not the way to go.

max,
I've got an interesting observation. With the WDZ stems, I could never blow the abv out of it. I had to make a little wooden pokey stick with a tip that wouldn't snag the little ring inside. Once I got my Pandora, though, I thought I would retry the blow out method, and it works like a charm every time. Little pellets of abv get blown out in to my abv container.
I wondered why it would work on one and not the other. So looking at them, it appears that the PD stem uses a tip with a slightly thinner wall. The tips on the WDZ are obviously thicker. I also think that the PD stem would be superior as it allows the herb to be "preheated" thoroughly, quicker. Maybe the WDZ stem is too thick to allow it to get the load (or at least the parts of the load touching the stem walls) cooked to the point where it is no longer sticky enough to be able to blow it out. This is all just a theory. Could be some other reason. What do you all think? I have to say that I thought I would still be using my WDZ stems, but I'm not.

SkeletonLips,

SSS

mmj patient under siege by the obama admin
i just lightly tap out the abv while it's still hot into a jar. works great. i don't like the blow bag because of all the fragments that attach to the material.

SSS,

max

Out to lunch
I've found that tapping it out works fine sometimes but not always. I think it depends on the herb you're using, and how you load. I don't like blowing into cloth either, for the same reason. Using a decent size bottle, and blowing it at the side, near the top, works great for me (as long as it's hot). When the bottle gets a little over half filled, I empty it.

max,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Sometimes after I blow out ABV, or tap it out, when I look in the tube I can't see through it, so what I do is, I take a pokey stick and just very lightly scrape over the screen, and that does work very well in terms of clearing out the tube. What is the discouragement toward doing this?

jeffp,

lwien

jeffp said:
Sometimes after I blow out ABV, or tap it out, when I look in the tube I can't see through it, so what I do is, I take a pokey stick and just very lightly scrape over the screen, and that does work very well in terms of clearing out the tube. What is the discouragement toward doing this?
I guess the discouragement is because one could accidentally dislodge the screen.

I too always look into the tube after I blow through it to see if I got it all. Sometimes I don't, and I find if I reinsert the empty tube into the PD, let it sit there for about 5 seconds and take another hit, not only do I get some vapor, which is kind of surprising, but that doing another blow thru after doing this, does the trick.

lwien,

masejl12

jeffp said:
I do the exact same thing with mine, I can't remember the last time I did an ISO wash, still great air flow.

masejl12,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
yeah, i do an ISO wash every once in a while, sometimes the resin is embedded and it must be done, but this is infrequent.
light scraping is alot more practical and efficient in my experience than soaking and agitating and then rinsing with water.
I would really like to read opinions on why this is not a good approach, and if i agree, if it makes sense, then I will stop doing it.

jeffp,
Top Bottom