Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

ShadowLink12

Activist
I was out of bud so I have just been vaping keif, and some has fallen into the purple days. How would you suggest I clean it out? Could I turn it off, let it cool down, and use a q-tip covered with ISO to scrape out the inside of the unit?

ShadowLink12,

panasonic

I know that Cleardome makes glass tubes, but for guests (i.e. if you have a few people over and only one glass tube), I was wondering if the vapor brothers mini wand/whip (http://www.vaporwarehouse.com/vbminiwhip.html) might be used as a glass tube as well? Might have to make your own metal tip for it, but...it's an idea.

panasonic,

Purple-Days

I think the cheapo guest solution, is that clear flexible tubing, from the hardware, it should slip or stretch over the outer diameter of the tube which is 1/2". Add 2" of this to any tube and you have a red seat. Either to keep your's separate or signify the fellow who has the flu (etc.)... :cool:

Purple-Days,

aura

Just want to thank Tom & Pam for the PD.

It's even better than my high expectations.

Tom~ Thank you for your outstanding work and your great contributions to this forum!

aura,

Purple-Days

Welcome to the forum Aura. Thanks for choosing us. :)

Part of the PD Experience went out through Sixes, OR today. About 10% of the remaining backlog. More on the way soon. Still not sure what will happen after we finish the list. Might take a week or two off. Till then I keep on. Meantime we take no orders and take no names. If you want a PDP you can build it, those are on track and on time, due to our Wood Turner and Laser Man and Pammy helping assemble part packs and burn DVDs etc. She really helps out. :tup:

Purple-Days,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Yeah it's awesome, isn't it? I keep a few different vapes in rotation, but the PD is in a class by itself. The main reason I sometimes use my SSV or VB, (also very good vapes in their own right) etc,. is either when friends come by, or when I want monster hits; when I opt to get totaled, efficiency be damned. Aura, as good as your PD is, you will see that it actually improves with age and use. As i see it, FC is the preeminent vaporizing forum and Tom and Pam are very important contributors to it and to the vaporizing community.

jeffp,

Purple-Days

Happy anniversary (in your time zone), JeffP, your contributions are numerous, though many times strange and wonderful. My egg is OK? :lol: Spam and Eggs. Salute !

Purple-Days,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Thanks and happy belated anniversary to you as well. Didn't realize until now that I joined FC only four days after you.

jeffp,

panasonic

Has anyone been successful in sucking straight from an opened 2 piece grinder to load the stems? I'm trying to decide what type of grinder to get.

panasonic,
panasonic said:
Has anyone been successful in sucking straight from an opened 2 piece grinder to load the stems? I'm trying to decide what type of grinder to get.
Yep, that would probably work if the blades of the grinder are set far enough away from each other to get your stem down in there.

SkeletonLips,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
I have a 2pc space case and you can only fit the tip in the middle. Get something with a chamber. I use a 4pc
space case

minnesnowta,

geist

Well I've spent more time with my PD, and I'm still in awe of how well this device works.....so much so I donated my VB to a neighbor. I recommend that they should save up for a PD Kit and I'll put it together for them. Positive vibes for my friends who've lost their husband/ father.
Tom thank you for creating such a wonderful product. Respect!:peace:

geist,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
SkeletonLips said:
panasonic said:
Yep, that would probably work if the blades of the grinder are set far enough away from each other to get your stem down in there.
Interesting idea. It works with Ed's 4" grinder, I just checked out.
http://www.edstnt.com/index_files/C...sWoodenPipesDugoutsIncenseBurnersGrinders.htm

****edit*****

IT out.

jeffp,

SmokieMcP

I am thinking Cherry Wood Purple-Days. It looks good. I like to do two big hits then chill for 2 hours. This unit seems like it could deliver under that usage. Am I making the right choice?

SmokieMcP,

Laotse

Hello every body. I'd like to buy a Purple Days vapo.
My problem : I don't know if it can be send to France . If someone have the answer.
Thanks

Laotse,

lwien

SmokieMcP said:
I am thinking Cherry Wood Purple-Days. It looks good. I like to do two big hits then chill for 2 hours. This unit seems like it could deliver under that usage. Am I making the right choice?
Yup.

lwien,

lwien

Laotse said:
Hello every body. I'd like to buy a Purple Days vapo.
My problem : I don't know if it can be send to France . If someone have the answer.
Thanks
I don't believe that Tom is taking international orders.

lwien,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
you can get an international order on the Pandora Kit... you just have to supply your own power supply. also have to pay customs fees and the likes

DevoTheStrange,

beachvaper

Purple-Days said:
Pretty funny to see someone, sitting at a computer, who can't use Google. :rolleyes: Making claims that Polypropylene is linked to Bisphenol. :lol: Of course it's not true, but if you say you saw it (but now can't find it :lol: ), or your Grandpa told you, it's a fact. :rolleyes: What a joke. I can't find it now... sure...

Preferable Plastics

You can identify better plastics by the recycling code numbers stamped in them. Look for reusable bottles made of:
#2 (HDPE, high-density polyethylene, the most widely recyclable)
#4 (LDPE, low-density polyethylene) or
#5 (PP, polypropylene).
These plastics have not been found to release BPA or phthalates.

http://greenerpenny.blogspot.com/2007/08/bye-bye-bpa.html
That's too bad you feel the need to attack me for being concerned about my health. It's pretty obvious to anyone (but his vape groupies, wtf?) it's a super size ego runamok. Guess the "be nice" rule doesn't apply to this guy? Don't worry, I'm out of here for good. Insult away egomaniac and groupies!

Occupational Asthma due to Heated Polypropylene
http://erj.ersjournals.com/cgi/reprint/7/2/415.pdf

Bishenol A detected in BPA free bottles
http://www.foodproductiondaily.com/Quality-Safety/Bisphenol-A-detected-in-BPA-free-baby-bottles

Researchers Discover Chemicals Leaching from Polypropylene
http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/articles/11479/bpa-bisphenol-polypropylene-bottles-plastic.html

Modnote: You cite our "Be Nice" rules and proceed to directly insult a well-respected member and indirectly insult hundreds of other members? Since you've sung your swan song we'll go ahead and close your account for you.

beachvaper,

SSS

mmj patient under siege by the obama admin
SSS,

Purple-Days

Beechvapor, glad to see you know how to foot note.

First footnote: is from a single case study in which the test polymer was heated to 250 degrees C. 482 F... The herbal load in a stainless bowl is heated to about 380-385F. The stainless contacting the #5 PP is cooled by it's own thermal mass, and outside air, so even direct contact is below the max of 385F and nowhere near the 250C or 482F, in your single case study. Which doesn't seem to draw conclusions, that have any relations, to the #5 PP we use or the way, or temperatures, at which we use it. Nothing to do with us. Case closed. :)

Footnote two: Polycarbonate is not polypropylene. This is why I asked for footnotes, your own references show you are confused. That you have linked sound alike chemicals and in you OPINION they are the same because they sound the same. Again, nothing to do with our product. Case closed. :)

Footnote three: I'll quote the article, "Polypropylene is everywhere." and check the source Lawyers and ... "However, health advocates take a different view, expressing the fear that such plastics might be leading to unknown effects by way of human exposure." Yet, they give no evidence about these 'unkown effects'. And again, not used the way we use it or in any way related. :) (SSS, this is the Alberta info you refer to, I'm sure there are multiple references via google. ;) )

Dad was in (cardiac) Pharmacology Research. I worked for a national reference lab and for a pharmaceutical manufacturer before becoming a carpenter. I took Latin for two years, funny names don't confuse me so easy. :cool:

Polypropylene is the safe stuff. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but you have to read the whole article in most of these instances and then you have to stop and use your head.

Purple-Days,

panasonic

beachvaper said:
That's too bad you feel the need to attack me for being concerned about my health. It's pretty obvious to anyone (but his vape groupies, wtf?) it's a super size ego runamok. Guess the "be nice" rule doesn't apply to this guy? Don't worry, I'm out of here for good. Insult away egomaniac and groupies!

Occupational Asthma due to Heated Polypropylene
http://erj.ersjournals.com/cgi/reprint/7/2/415.pdf

Bishenol A detected in BPA free bottles
http://www.foodproductiondaily.com/Quality-Safety/Bisphenol-A-detected-in-BPA-free-baby-bottles

Researchers Discover Chemicals Leaching from Polypropylene
http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/articles/11479/bpa-bisphenol-polypropylene-bottles-plastic.html
beach, I'm sorry you feel slighted. I'd like to point out a few things from your sources:

"Polypropylene, the chemical formula of which is (CH3)2-CH-[CH2-CH (CH3)]n-CH=CH-CH3 is heated to 250C in the process. According to information obtained from a chemist, heating poly-propylene to this temperature [250 C] results in the release of several degradation products including: aliphatic hydrocarbons (ethylene, butene); aldehydes (principally formaldehyde); and ketones"

Emphasis mine. Of course, this statement doesn't mean that heating it to lower temperatures releases nothing, but it's unlikely that the polypropylene in the stems is being heated to 250C (about 480F). If that were true, the stems would be melting and the buds would be burnt.

For the second one, here's the abstract to the paper:

Human exposure to bisphenol A (BPA) has recently received special attention. It has been shown that exposure to BPA may occur through the consumption of beverages or foods that have been in contact with polycarbonate (PC) plastic containers or epoxy resins in food packaging. A BPA migration study was conducted using a variety of plastic containers, including polycarbonate baby bottles, non-PC baby bottles, baby bottle liners, and reusable PC drinking bottles. Water was used to simulate migration into aqueous and acidic foods; 10% ethanol solution to simulate migration to low- and high-alcoholic foods; and 50% ethanol solution to simulate migration to fatty foods. By combining solid-phase extraction, BPA derivatization and analysis by GC-EI/MS/MS, a very low detection limit at the ng l-1 level was obtained. Migration of BPA at 40C ranged from 0.11 g l-1 in water incubated for 8 h to 2.39 g l-1 in 50% ethanol incubated for 240 h. Residual BPA leaching from PC bottles increased with temperature and incubation time. In comparison with the migration observed from PC bottles, non-PC baby bottles and baby bottle liners showed only trace levels of BPA. Tests for leachable lead and cadmium were also conducted on glass baby bottles since these represent a potential alternative to plastic bottles. No detectable lead or cadmium was found to leach from the glass. This study indicated that non-PC plastic baby bottles, baby bottle liners and glass baby bottles might be good alternatives for polycarbonate bottles.
Here's a link that summarizes the data: http://chemicalsubstanceschimiques....phenol-a/study_babybottles-etude_bebe-eng.php

Note that the study itself concludes that non-polycarbonate plastic bottles might still be good alternatives for polycarbonate bottles. The amount of BPA found in the non-PC bottles ranged from none at all in some brands and from 0.0014 micrograms per liter in a bottle of water heated to 85 C and held at 60 C for two hours to 0.9059 micrograms per liter in a bottle of water heated to 85 C and held at 60 C for 238 hours (ten days).

As much as I would love to say that I would personally never use or consume anything contaminated by harmful chemical compounds, 0.9059 micrograms of BPA is about 7.52 x 10^-10 liters or 3.97 nanomoles. I have a hard time explaining a useful comparison since there are so few in daily life, but for example, wild salmon contain 13.7 ng/g or 1.37 micrograms of PCBs per 100 g serving (about 4 oz). Admittedly PCBs and BPA probably don't interact the same way with human physiology but both are bad for you. So if you're gonna avoid polypropylene, I'd suggest not eating fish either.

As for the third one, here's the figure from the paper published in Science:

wDQtT.jpg

Fig. 1. (A) Effects on hMAO-B of water (N = 3) or 10% DMSO (N = 7) (40% of tube volume, 1 hour, 20C) from Fisherbrand (Fisher Scientific, Ottawa, Canada) (clear bars) or Sarstedt (Sarstedt AG, Nmbrecht, Germany) (hatched bars) plastic tubes or glass vials (C). x axis labels indicate tube volumes (ml). C indicates control; SZ, siliconized 0.5-ml tube; W and M, water and methanol rinses analyzed by tandem mass spectrometry (MS/MS). Data are mean SEM. ***P < 0.001 compared with control (one-way analysis of variance with Dunnett's post hoc test). (B) MS/MS data for the major peak obtained from a water rinse of a Fisherbrand 0.5-ml tube reveal the presence of DiHEMDA. (C) Inhibition of human MAO-A (triangles) or MAO-B (circles) by oleamide (open symbols) or DiHEMDA (solid symbols) (structures inset). (D) (Left) Effects on binding of [3H]Ro15-4513 to rat brain GABAA channels of DMSO (0.2% in assay) rinsed (at 100%) through a glass (Gl) tube or through one (1x) or three consecutive (3x) Eppendorf brand 1.5-ml tubes, compared with a DMSO-free control (Con). (Right) Competition binding curve to diazepam, prepared in DMSO in microfuge tubes, reveals a lowered plateau relative to a DMSO (in glass) control.

I won't disagree that they found bioactive compounds in supposedly-sterile tubes. I will note that they found a much greater test response when they put DMSO into the plastic tubes, which is an extremely versatile solvent (read: it dissolves a wide range of compounds). I'm honestly not sure what to make of the study because they didn't report any quantities, just a response relative to a control (glass) tube.

I think the bamboo stems are a great idea, but there's no telling whether or not sucking hot vapor through bamboo is bad for you, and even then, there's no telling how bad for you inhaling hot vapor is either.

Riding in cars, planes, having a computer, eating fish, drinking tap water from anywhere on this map, using sunscreen, chapstick, or lotion (that isn't made from beeswax or plant oils), swimming in outdoor waters that are not far out in the backcountry, painting, using shampoo, conditioner, or personal lubricants, etc are all examples of situations where you might be exposed to endocrine disrupting compounds.

In school we were trained to follow the precautionary principle, that is, don't do/touch/eat it if it you're not sure it'll kill you (because it might), so personally I read up on things and try to avoid, for example, shampoos that contain compounds that are controversial, eating farmed salmon and fish that are near-apex or apex predators, and swimming in polluted waters. But the reality is that avoiding any exposure to all endocrine disrupting compounds is pretty much impossible, so from there it becomes a series of calculated risk decisions that isn't as easy as lumping some things into 'bad' box and other things into the 'good' box, and the best way to make these decisions is through self-education and experience, not simply lumping things into boxes.

panasonic,

Flyer

to me there is such a big difference between a groupiee and a friend, band wagon bullshit or what ever, how about nice guys and gals makeing nice goodies for us to use safetly. I am 5,000 miles away, never met the PD crew and am looking for the day just to say HI.

Flyer,

SSS

mmj patient under siege by the obama admin
tom, regarding your footnote 3: you only read the article "and check the source Lawyers and ..." which was referring to a study published in the journal "science" which is a well respected science journal. although as panasonic said there are certainly unanswered questions about the study it cannot be blown off as easily as you would like. i recommend reading that and the subsequent comments on the article before dismissing it.

i am not claiming to know anything about the subject. i use my polypro stems without worry. there are enough cancer causing agents in just about everything else to make me feel secure that a couple puffs off a tube aren't going to kill me. however, for those more serious about health and what products they use the leaching issue in that study is one to think about. especially considering that the polypro seems to be claiming to be free of something that it isn't for whatever reason (tainted product, flat out lie.....who knows?).

SSS,
Top Bottom