Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Lucic77

Crazy rambling thoughts from my first and second sessions...

Let's start with the fact that I just love this thing. It could not be more perfect for my situation, but I agree with Tom that this is not for everyone or other situations. For small doses that pack a punch whenever I want them, it's great.

Let it warm up for the full hour. Had a nice "wood shop" smell in the room. Others have said that the smell and taste of wood should go away in a couple of days. I like the smell, but I think the unit will be better without it.

....I love how the stem fits into the exchanger. Mine is very tight, with enough give to have it stand up straight on it's own with a slight angle. That was how I pictured it and I am happy it works like that.

Feels warm in my hands, which is great in the colder months..... The vapor is not too hot for my throat at all like I read here, but I also agree a glass of water, etc. is a good idea..... Can't stop looking into the tube to the suspended vapor, cool!! .....Almost no smell. I can vape without blowing it out a window and not be scared of the odor. Nice change of pace from combustion.

...Not used to ABV herbs, lol. I want the bag to transport the PD, so using a glass jar. Have forgotten both times just how pipin' hot the stem is, lol. That quick burn reminds you! So bad that I am just going to throw the ABV of top quality away, but since I am diabetic using it for all those treats is wasted on me.

..... Dry herbs indeed make a huge difference..... After only a couple of uses I can already tell I am going to take some advice I read here to reinforce the plug with electrical tape.

...Getting very noticeable vapor clouds on most hits.

I am going to give 'er a nice buzz butter buffin' tonight while she's hot. :brow:

I love this thing. Thanks Tom & Pammy!

Lucic77,

B.

War Criminal
nice review.

and...off topic...throwing out your abv is a sin!! :)

you can still cook with it in other diabetic friendly foods, or use iso to make hash.

Find a way to save it, you'll be happy you did.

B.,

Nchomsky

My husband ordered mine a few days ago. The 9+ week waiting is going to kill me. Can't wait to get it.

Nchomsky,

Nchomsky

Your super lucky Lucic77. Enjoy it. I think mine will be here after the new year to bad after my birthday.

Nchomsky,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Very nice!! Thanks for showing a close up of the paisley.... Very nice!! I have the purple but the paisley is very nice!!

Someone mentioned the burnt popcorn taste reference in another thread and I just want to mention that if I smell burnt popcorn in my PD it usually means some crumbs of herb have fallen in. I unplug and spank it (LOL - I think of Hennesy's line, shake it like it owes you money LOL). Anyhow, a couple crumbs come out and the smell goes away so I 'think' that the spanking solves that :D

I hope you're enjoying yours :D :D I'm using mine right now :peace:

Lo,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
I did edit the burnt popcorn comment post slightly, to try and better reflect my opinion of the taste. Just did another PD stem, tried to get the very last of the vape out of it. This is some good herb. Didn't count hits, but i did get a lot. The last two were not unpleasant, but for sure had the very very slight popcorn taste. My simple solution for this, don't suck out the last asshole hits if you don't want to. Sometimes i will, sometimes i won't. I like the option. This is nothing compared to the high temp you can experience with variable temp vape's like the volcano, E, SSV, vape bros, ect. This higher temp is an area i don't like to get into. I forgot why, until I used the E with a few friend last week. Cranked the temp up a little bit more then usual filling up vape bags of a friends herb. The herb was still moist, I put the temp up to high, and it basicly knocked me out. I was tired and lazy feeling. For me the PD is honestly like a pick me up. Goes well with caffeine and then back to work. :D

Oh, and i spank my PD often too.... It's clean :uhoh:

IAmKrazy2,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
LMAO!! I'm glad you're keeping that PD clean :) Enjoyed your thread I agree about the performance comparison as you came up with the same conclusion I did :D Enjoy!!

Lo,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
Just bought a new adapter power cord for pd, just had first hit and it's running too hot, herb was dark brown/black. Never seen it like that, plus the hit was harsh.
its a AC (unregulated) 1000ma 12vdc

Just to double check because something is wrong, is this ok?

Happycamper,

Purple-Days

The numbers are right. The results are wrong.

Transformers are pretty simple devices. Induction if anyone cares to look it up.

Using North American Voltage as an example... 120 Volts at the wall outlet. Needing 12 Volts at the plug, the winding ratio is 10:1. 10 wraps on one side 1 wrap on the other. In reality it is more like 1000:100. 120 Volts gets converted to 12 Volts. But, the accuracy of this ratio is important. 975:105 would give you almost 13 Volts. So you can see that a few windings +/- can drastically change the voltage.

Since the resistance is fixed, voltage determines temperature, and since the temperature went up, the transformer is the problem. :cool:

Purple-Days,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
The one that ive got you can adjust the voltage on it with a dial from 3-12 v. It is on the spot for 12v but i might try turning it down effectively below 12, but maybe its out a little like you said.

Or maybe i'll just exchange it at the shop for a new one. If i tell them i think it's faulty, i'm sure they will help me.

(at the moment ive managed to salvage the old adapter for a bit)

Happycamper,

Purple-Days

Yes, the wall wart itself has little to fail, it's nearly always a cord or plug. And the plug can be replaced. Test the wall wart by plugging it into a working wall socket and check back in 30 minutes, the wall wart will be slightly warm to the touch (even without an appliance in use) and this indicates it is working properly.

Cutting back the cord a little to get past any damage, a new plug can be soldered on. Here is the Radio Shack version of the replacement plug: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103614

Purple-Days,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
If i had the polarity wrong, would that casue it to overheat, or would it just not provide power in the first place?

In the UK all im finding in the shops are adapters with interchangable tips. If the tip is on wrong it could effect the polarity, buts its hard to tell.

Happycamper,

Frickr

the polarity shouldnt be wrong, its ac 12v on the standard wallwart. if yours is converting to DC 12 volt the RMS heating value is going to be alot higher thus less voltage to reach a certain temp. the resistor used is a resistor, either way the current flows through it will produce the same result. like a lightbulb if you reverse the polarity on it, the light will still light up just the same.

Frickr,

Purple-Days

Polarity is interchangeable. Center positive or negative... doesn't matter.

AC or DC, both work as long as it's 12 Volts. AC just switches back and forth (50 times a minute or 60 times a minute, 50 or 60Hz), the DC flows one way only.

Purple-Days,

Frickr

Purple-Days said:
AC or DC, both work as long as it's 12 Volts. AC just switches back and forth (50 times a minute or 60 times a minute, 50 or 60Hz), the DC flows one way only.
yes that is true they are interchangeable, but 12vdc is stronger if you will then 12vac. dc voltage has more heating potential. so if someone is using a 12vdc plug they will notice their unit being warmer then with 12vac. just like switching to the car adapter. the pd seems to run hotter in the car.

i measured the voltage on my plug. it was something like 14.4 volts. so its not 12vac dirrectly going to it unless if its a regulated transformer.

dont get me wrong im not trying to step on any toes here, im just stating what i know, what ive learned in school.

Frickr,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
Yup, I think that was mention a few (or several, hell it's so hard to keep track of anything in this thread) pages back.

aznfknpride,

Purple-Days

"the pd seems to run hotter in the car"

There are two reasons. A) A battery in good condition and fully charged should put out 12.8 Volts. An alternator with a car engine running can be putting out over 13.5+ volts. As the wall wart is providing 12 V (unregulated AC).

I am not as recently familiar with comparisons between AC and DC and will take your word for the greater potential of DC. Is this do to the flicker of AC that momentary reverse? Interesting

Purple-Days,

Frickr

nevermind tom. im getting ahead of myself here. while it is true that Vac has a higher peak value the average or the RMS is lower. most meters read the RMS value. and if the RMS is the same as a DC powersorce they will both produce equal power. While if you hooked an oscilloscope up to there. you would see a higher peak value.

so the power going across the resistor in DC will be 12 volts, but in AC it might measure 16.968 at its peak. but the RMS value will still average out to be the equivelant to the DC voltage.

peak = RMS x 1.414 ( ?2)
peak = 12v 1.414
peak = 16.968 v

amazing what can be learned wrong if the teacher didnt know themselves. i thought it was true with AC voltage, but when the meters themselves only measure the RMS value. what i was thinking of could only be seen by an oscilloscope. i was thinking back to generators to much instead of figuring out that the power companies have already done the math.

Frickr,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
The thing i was concerned about is the 'unregulated' bit. But is that what alternating current is?

Anyway its 1000ma ac adapter. Can be moved with dial from 3-12 vdc (why is that dc?)

Also the tips are interchnagable. The box it came in explains about polarity, so the tip depending which way it is placed on the lead from the wall wart (?heh) can change the polarity.

Happycamper,

Purple-Days

DC is Direct Current. Think battery... positive and negative. The juice flows one direction only. Alternating Current is alternating... in your case switching directions 50 times a second (50 Hz) and in North America 60 Hz. (can't believe I said per minute above, but you know stoners...)

On our unit polarity does not matter, so hook up the plugs any way you want, no worries.

Un-regulated means the output depends on the input. Ideally 120v in 12V out for North America. But if you have 115 in you get 11.5 out. With a regulated supply input voltage is not important (within the rated range of the device) as the output is regulated. 115 in 12V out.

Purple-Days,

Yail Bloor

Lucic77, quick question, I couldn't find the PD on Amazon - but then again I'm not too bright - can you point me in the right direction? The Vapenow Amazon store doesn't list it in their inventory. Perhaps it's because of the lead time, but I have a credit with Amazon and I can't think of anything better to get with it.

Yail Bloor,
Top Bottom