Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

aterphasma

I'd personally say get a heavy duty six foot (two meter) extension cord. Heavy duty/thick gauge to lower resistance and avoid large voltage drops. It's something I'm considering for my own uses. Also as long as it's about six feet of extension, your voltage shouldn't drop too much.

aterphasma,

willywagtail

Purple-Days said:
Hey everyone,

We use solder, it is 97% Tin and 3% Silver. Lead-Free solder, no rosin or flux or any other bad stuff is used.

So there could be a drop of errant solder left in the electronics cavity, stuck to the wood maybe and loosened with time and use. I can see how that happens in a case or two.

And that relates to the vibration or rattle in a sort of way...

When you turn the PD over the small bit or two of solder (tin and silver only) fell through one of the two insulating channels that run top to bottom.

We use bare 20ga - tinned copper wire (RoHS of course, by Belden last I looked). One channel positive, one to ground. These wires each lead down to the lower cavity where they wrap around a stainless steel screw with washer that is sunk into the center body section, (from there, a very short distance to the jack posts where it gets wrapped through a hole in the post and soldered). The bare wire inside those two channels is held solid at the heat exchanger and at those stainless screws and can 'vibrate' when the unit is struck. Sorta like a tuning fork effect.

If a unit gets dropped, top down, onto a hard surface the 100 gram mass of that heat exchanger can slightly move the spring clip that holds it in place against the stainless steel sleeve that sits underneath. A flat bladed screw driver can be used to press the spring clip down against the heat exchanger top disk. This top disk is sandwiched between the sleeve and clip and can slide sideways either way by a fraction to allow for the expansion of that top disc under heat. If it were a perfectly tight fit it would split the wood as it expanded.

Spiral, the solder-less reference you may be thinking of is on our Workshop page, "Our 100% Stainless Steel Heat Exchanger with 72 radiating fins is unique and better than ever. Spring loaded , solder-less, 21st Century design ." The A=zap and Eterra (I believe) had a soldered / brazed joint where the top disk and tube met.

Spiral asks,"Why do these have such a tendency to burn out?"
The wire/plug/transformer story.

Trans first. It's an AC to AC transformer. 120 volts to 12... 10 to one. 10 windings to 1 winding. Induction, Watson . . . There just isn't anything that is gonna go wrong inside that black UL listed wall wart. Nothing. . . unless like DD you drop it onto concrete (?) and crack the case.

Next is cord / plug : 420Downunder is absolutely right about flex... Every time you move it you flex the wires (they are multi strand), they weaken a bit, coper is copper. But more probable and the buggaboo that gets most is the wire to plug connection (and that shrink wrap idea is so seriously good that I'm going to look into it. Thanks mate.)

There is nothing wrong with the existing transformer. Pammy and many others use them daily and have no problems and others replace them often... other brands... and those fail too... (Tom scratches his bald head and wonders why...)

I can build the unit to be as tough as nails but there will never be a cord or connection that is truely sturdy. BTW a heavier cord will add to the flex stress at the plug, so it is a trade off. I'm sure the engineers and folks at UL etc. know this.

Speaking of trade offs, the screen pore diameter is a bit snug to keep fine particles out of your mouth. Bigger holes = more crap gets past the screen. Keeping your original screens clean will make the airflow right. Alcohol (booze works better than ISO, get a bottle of rotgut and keep it for cleaning...) and agitation and a double soak and more agitation if you have let them go too far.

Glad the VapeNow story is cleared up. I talked to Nate via e-mail and he said they will need more but are not out at the moment.

Figured Walnut coming soon.
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/3439/1050509lx5.jpg
By purpledays at 2009-01-07

Figured Maple comingh soon.
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/3627/1050513wg1.jpg
By purpledays at 2009-01-07

I grabbed three random blocks late yesterday afternoon, just couldn't resist. Spun two Figured Maple and one Figured Walnut and they are pretty. The maple is more subtle but has that holo figured look and is a nice color. The pictures show a fresh cherry to the left, but maple will stay light where cherry gets darker with age. The walnut is neat-o. Maybe that one will be the prettiest ever, but I really did just grab the one on top. Of course these are going to be available in limited supplies,

The Ash looks cool, just like my old Louisville Slugger ball bat. The P-D Slugger ? Nice grain... those will be available at the same price as the Cherry. And I think I can get those on a regular basis. A limited supply of plain maple that will be at that price too. Still holding to $150, till the new spring postal rates anyway.

willywagtail,

vibes1952

Instead of spending $10 on an extension cord I'd recommend you order a replacement/spare AC Adaptor or 2 from www.jameco.com part# 10081
I think they are still 9.95. I bought 2 extra because these adaptors WILL fail eventually and I only paid once for shipping. The PD wont fail (except the purple LED on the older models (of which I have 2), but the AC adaptor WILL fail (not the guts either, it's almost always a short in the connector/wires).

With an extra adaptor you can move the PD around easier and just in case of failure you are all set.

I would think that hitting it while it's unplugged is a surefire way to drop the temperature.

My suggestion is to spend $10 and buy an extension cord, that way the PD will reach anywhere in your house fully plugged in... problem solved biggrin

vibes1952,

Purple-Days

Back from the Void. More about that in a minute.

BTW, The Scream is by Norwegian artist Edvard Munch. ;)

About the extension cord. The PD is intended to be used by one or two folks (first post in this thread). Multiple rapid repeat hits, such as passing around a room of people is not going to work out well. They will be constantly drawing air through the unit and will drop it's temp. As the temp drops they will suck harder and it will snowball. A good route to dissapointment. BTW voltage drop will not be a problem using an AC extension cord.

About the hash: Uhh, :uhoh: been mentioned quite a bit in this thread and others. Many, many posts about mixing kief with ABV as a substrate.

Hunting rabbits? Buy a Rabbit Gun... Hunting birds? Buy a bird gun... Don't know the difference? Ask somebody before you buy. That is what this forum is about, exchanging information. This applies to both the hash and the group questions, above... :2c:

2hyapkw.jpg

That's a pic from our weekend trip.

We went to San Francisco to pick up Kali.
2nrhn3s.jpg
:D
We rode the cable cars.
30jmmtz.jpg

9zqec1.jpg

And walked through Chinatown.
hs2av4.jpg

28synex.jpg

And back down into the Embarcadero
117v3w6.jpg

before catching the BART train back out to the burbs. A great Mass transit system.

Kali is a happy, energetic handful. :uhoh: Pammy is very, very happy. :D I am back to doing what I do, staying busy. :cool:

Purple-Days,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Holy Moly!! First I gotta say the walnut is the most beautiful thing!!! Oh my GOD it is lovely. The maple matches my kitchen cabinets tho LOL! I'm already waiting for my cherry unit but would love to go on the list again if some of the new pretty woods become available, even if they cost more. They are stunning!

Love the pics too... SOOO thrilled you guys finally got to pick Kali up! I'm sure Pammy is over the moon! Congratulations!!! Maybe when you have more time you can post a Kali pix thread here somewhere :D Would love to see her... puppies are so wonderful!

Lo,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Fantastic - reading about Kali and the trip to San Fransisco just made my day....
My hard drive died last week and I lost everything including important email addresses and interesting bookmarks and other stuff - it's OK; should be one's worst problem in life.
Bought a one terabyte HD for $70, which is unbelievable.
Then the night it died last week I bumped into my "dealer" having dinner at a street cafe - he asked if he could come up to use my vaporizer and he did but he also replaced the HD on the computer for me, which I appreciate.

Congratulations Pam and Tom....

jeffp,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
jeffp said:
Fantastic - reading about Kali and the trip to San Fransisco just made my day....
My hard drive died last week and I lost everything including important email addresses and interesting bookmarks and other stuff - it's OK; should be one's worst problem in life.
Bought a one terabyte HD for $70, which is unbelievable.
Then the night it died last week I bumped into my "dealer" having dinner at a street cafe - he asked if he could come up to use my vaporizer and he did but he also replaced the HD on the computer for me, which I appreciate.

Congratulations Pam and Tom....
My hard drive failed on my laptop recently (was caused by me hitting it over a period of a few weeks due to a fan noise driving me crazy) also it was over heating big time.

However luckily PC World (in the uk) managed to access parts of the hard drive, and thankfully got back the most important stuff.

So it might not be as bad as it seems, if you have something really important you might be able to get it back, even if you have just the hardrive itself to hand them.

I now back everything up all the time on my new laptop :)

Happycamper,

DJDIZZY

When you guys blow out your spent material from the tube, is it in the form of a pellet or loose material? Thanks!

DJDIZZY,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
pellet probably means material needs to be dried out and ground maybe a little more...
(i put material in a shot glass, let it sit on top of my PD for a few hours, then grind it, then let it sit on the PD again for awhile.)

jeffp,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
the copper cap is really the finishing touch to a true work of art... fantastic.

jeffp,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
I wish that copper cup had a pd metal insert stem welded to the base of it. That way it can copy the A-zap more (show of hands, who thinks that was a real insult?) and it would give my lil copper cup a tad bit more stability. I hate getting oil down my pd.

any ideas T&P? The welding holding the metal stem and the copper togeather might not be 100% lead free at that point.

thanks for hearing me out

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Yes, I've often wished that the copper cup was more ornate and imitative, as well.

I thank you for your time.

jeffp,

Purple-Days

C'mon guys, we aren't into dragonflies and unicorns. Functionality. And functionality means it ain't art. It's a tool.

"There is no beauty that hath not some strangeness about it's proportions.", Francis Bacon

Top Gear, "A man from the Tate Gallery told me the other day...for something to be art, it can have no purpose other than itself, no function."

:cool:

Purple-Days,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
OK, so then an aesthetically pleasing well designed and functioning tool can be "classy" rather than being "art."

jeffp,

aterphasma

It's maple burl and I'm so happy with this guy. Tom, you and Pammy are wonderful people. Thanks very much. If you want, you can use pictures on your site. If not, then enjoy the beauty that is your work. Thanks.

aterphasma,

Purple-Days

Thanks for the pics and the kind words.

That was a Maple Burl piece sent in as a 3 x 3 x 12" stick. Pretty gnarly. We weren't sure we could pull a PD out of it.

I had shaped the first half and was about to start into the second portion when it blew up and one half hit me square in the mouth. I turn on speed 5 of 6, so it was 'moving'. Spit a little blood for that PD, but didn't loose teeth. :D

Purple-Days,

reece

Hennessy1414 said:
I wish that copper cup had a pd metal insert stem welded to the base of it. That way it can copy the A-zap more (show of hands, who thinks that was a real insult?) and it would give my lil copper cup a tad bit more stability.
How does the cup attach to the PD?

Purple-Days said:
Top Gear, "A man from the Tate Gallery told me the other day...for something to be art, it can have no purpose other than itself, no function."

:cool:
Tom, I'd bet you could ask two other guys and they will give you two different definitions of art. ;)

reece,

Purple-Days

Certainly, Reece, but I have said many times I make a tool, and it is not art. These quotes fit my idea of art vs. functionality.

Lwien she uses the Tink avatar. But come visit the house, you won't find that sort of thing in our living space.

Purple-Days,

reece

Purple-Days said:
Certainly, Reece, but I have said many times I make a tool, and it is not art. These quotes fit my idea of art vs. functionality.

Lwien she uses the Tink avatar. But come visit the house, you won't find that sort of thing in our living space.
I hear ya, Tom. But I have to disagree with you a bit. When I look at your pieces (especially the "special" wood) I see a beauty that I don't associate with a plain old tool. But I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. Tomato, tomahto, and all that.

That "WEED, CA" sign is cool. I snapped a pick of it when driving a big Ryder truck from New Orleans to the Portland area.

reece,
Top Bottom