Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Lwien Wrote: Can this extra warmth hurt the PD in anyway?
No. It does not affect the voltage or significantly raise the temperature (please do feel to correct me if I am wrong, Tom.)

PS: IMO it is better to use the cozy, etc to compensate for extremely cold environments

Progress,

Purple-Days

No problem, the can cozy is able to add a few degrees. It's specially useful in cool conditions.

(hah,progress wrote that while I was posting. :) )

Purple-Days,

PsychoActive

So going off what ive seen numerous people say about dry herb working best in the PD, should i grind up the half O that i have right now, and let it dry out, and then store it like that? or would that end up making it too dry or hurt its potency if im not finished with it like a month from now.

PsychoActive,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
NOOOOOOOOOO DO NOT DO THAT!!!!

Grind up about 2 grams to dry out. when your about to run out of ground material grind up another 2G's. that way the vapor is full in aroma. Keep those nuggets intact bro :brow: their time will come

:2c:

Hennessy1414,

thepope

biopharmacopeia said:
Purple-Days said:
biopharmacopeia, your experiences with 'flash evaporators' as you have called them in e-mails to me, and your preferences for 'near combustion' temperatures do not translate to the Purple-Days Disffusers. We operate at a much lower temperature than you are expecting..
Hello Purple-Days:

The E-mail I sent you was sent to your business. This was a serious purchasing decision-related inquiry in which I explained my preference for vaporizers that run hot, and you advised me the PD was not suitable. For you to have disclosed my personal experience and preferences was a serious violation of the confidentiality one presumes are inherently accorded to such business communications! It is not good business practice or Internet etiquette to disclose any personal information from your business communcations to this group or otherwise post this on the Internet.

And then, the purpose you used this for was to try to attack me or impugn my credibility, not address the content of my message. You never responded to the content/point of my posting -- that it makes absolutely perfect sense, that if someone does have a problem with stuff getting inside a PD and scorching, charring, blackening, etc., they can simply stand their stem vertical, such as adapting it to slide into a pipe bowl (of course, one that was never used for combustion). Among many considerations, us purely recreational users should keep in mind that many medical MJ users (and also users injesting other drugs, illegal or legal) may simply not be able to exercise the breath control and coodination needed to prevent stuff from getting inside their PD; and for them and others, trying out a vertical-standing stem makes sense (IMO).

And what is wrong with my preference for vaporizers capable of putting out [as you quote from my confidential E-mail] ?near combustion? air temperatures? This seems to be rather common here in FC. Isn?t it considered poor FC etiquette to make such judgements about other people?s vaporization preferences?

Yes, I misused the word "burning," using it in a non-technical generic sense. But just going back less than one page in this thread before my message, Vtac stated, "Yeah if you over pack the bowl (incorrect usage really), protruding herb is going to be touching the crossbar of the heat exchanger which can scorch it."; Hennessy1414 stated, "I was merely pointing out the PD has the potential to scorch some of your nug....you have to try to do it?; and WavyGravy stated "I can get it nearly black (which of course isnt good but i can do it." After my posting, you stated, ?Yep, the cross-bar gets hot enough to char the material with direct contact, and material that falls into the heat exchanger will get blackened (charred).?

Many people would commonly use the term "burning" for scorching, charring and blackening. For example, leave something in the over at 350?F or hotter for too many hours or days and many people seeing the result would remark, "You burned the?(whatever it was).?

I started my message with a well-qualified conditional-type statement, actually a question, "For those with a PD having problems with stuff falling into the heater and burning, why not stuff your tip (or whatever the proper term is for the stuff-holding part) standing vertically in a conventional pipe?"; and then explained on this. And I ended with the full disclosure: "[Note, I am not an owner and have never actually seen a PD. But I have owned very similar Eterra models predating the PD]." Yes, I misused "burning" in a broad vernacular sense that includes organic material scorching and turning black, and used this in the same sentence as ?PD.? But I never criticized or discussed the PD or its performance. If only current PD owners are allowed to post to this thread, that should be made clear.

?Flash evaporation? ? That deserves a new, different thread of its own. Simplistically stated, I am referring to hitting just 1 small hit?s worth very quickly with very hot air (short of blacking or combustion, unless one tries). For example, put 1-hit?s worth of very finely powdered stuff in a stem and quickly, for a few seconds, draw through air that is probably hotter than the combustion temperature and rely on the very act of vaporization (technically, as I recall, the heat of ethalpy or heat of vaporization) to cool and keep the temperature of the stuff below combustion (while the volatile materials are still there, before pyrolysis and then combustion sets in). This hitting a small amount of powdered stuff for just a few seconds or less with maximally hot air provides near-instantaneous vaporization, thus the term ?flash evaporation? and also related technical terms, such as flash chromatography. This and the resulting concentrated hit (providing ALL of the good stuff in just a short burst) could loosely be compared to the very quick incineration and inhalation of a single-hit from a bong (and, in my experience, is very satisfying). Many vaporizers, such as the PD, are not designed to give users the option of doing this. Flash evaporation is, thus, far removed from more mainstream ?vaporization? often involving long, such as 10 second or even much longer, draws.

Probably like many others, I would welcome a second PD model with some type of heater (air temperature) control, allowing the user to select the desired vaporization temperature, including hotter temperatures.

As an entrepreneur and inventor, you obviously feel (over?)protective of your product. Even if someone did falsely desparage your product (and I don?t think I did anything near that), that is no excuse to dig into confidential, business E-mails to attack that person or his/her credibility in FC. And on this subject, I?ve been using PD-like (in the sense of similar inhalation-driven, convection, hot metal-based heaters) since about 1994. This includes obtaining direct from the inventor multiple Eterra models and prototypes that predate the PD and that you often cite as inspiring the PD; and within hours of getting my first vaporizer, using the stem adapted to a vertical position and never going back to the horizonal motif. Like I concluded in my first confidential E-mail to your business (you), ?I thought you might appreciate hearing from a long user/experimenter with Eterra/Purple-Days-like vaporizers.? It seems not.

As I noted in my last E-mail to you, I ?recognize that the PD is the current reference or gold standard among commercial convection vaporizers. With more moderate-temperature, longer-draw, multiple-hit-load-type usage obviously working so very well for so many devoted PD fans, you are obviously doing something right, and I wish to expand my horizons, broaden my vaporization options, etc. by purchasing and using one of your units.? The PD is still on the top of my list to purchase when I get around to expanding my vaporizer collection.

Again, I apologize sincerely for inaccurately, non-technically using the term ?burning? in any way associated with the PD. And I apologize to the group for my responding to a personally-directed dismissal/attack with such a long response (but as is often the case in these situations, one feels obligated to do this). I hope this is the end of this.
I'm trying to be nice here , but IMHO you have a bad attitude and just don't listen ! Please go away ....I' M SORRY I JUST DON'T LIKE YOU !

thepope,

max

Out to lunch
biopharmacopeia said:
Regarding my comment, "I recognize that the PD is the current reference or gold standard among commercial convection vaporizers," keep in mind I was quoting from an E-mail I had sent to the Purple-Days business, not something meant for FC.
But you posted it. You can't bring up privacy issues if you're going to state it on a forum. :/

But, I think my statement has a lot of truth. What else is there worthy considering in its class? What other inhalation-driven, low-voltage, self-contained, hand-held, hot metal heat exchanger-based, convection vaporizer is out there worth considering?
I agree, now that you've qualified the opinion. But your original opinion had no qualifications and therefore covered all the vapes on the market. ;)

max,

lwien

Hey Tom. Just got my PD in the mail today. I was amazed at how small the shipping box was. You guys are package efficient, that's for sure;).

Gotta question. There seems to be a small crack in the wood. See pic. Is there any concern that this could get bigger with heat expansion?

lwien,

Purple-Days

Welcome to the Purple-Days family, lwien.

Small imperfections in wood are pretty normal, but keep an eye on it, Cherry wood is very stable, if it expands let us know we will take good care of you.

Purple-Days,

jklasd

hey guys. i may be a possible new PD owner. i had a ssv for around 8ish months i think. dont have it anymore, long story. im kinda on the rocks of what i want, and not just what vape i want, but whether or not to keep smoking. (obviously losing the SSV has left a bad taste in my mouth :() obviously this isn't something you guys can tell me haha :lol:. im just wondering, ive read the first 3 pages on this thread, and was wondering is there a shorter version that will give you all the tips and techniques and information on the PD without having to read this massive thread?
i will say that from what i read, it changed how i felt about it. i always liked the PD and what it did, but i believe max said that while the hits are not as big as the SSV, they are close. that is a huge thing. im not all about big hits, but as most people will say, when take a big hit, that feeling is beautiful. knowing that the hits are close to the SSV is good. i, like many many others, also like how effiecent it is. getting high of vaping .1-.2 is just beautiful.

jklasd,

max

Out to lunch
max said that while the hits are not as big as the SSV, they are close.
Don't know if "close" is safe to claim. I know I said the PD was closer to the SSV than to the Vapolution, which I own and is close in type and price to the PD. The PD puts out some amazing hits considering the size of the bowl and tube, compared to the full sized SSV. But a full size whip or bong type can put out overpowering hits-huge but wasteful. You just can't process that much vapor effectively if you subscribe to the theory that vapor needs more time to absorb than smoke. To be honest, I would hate to give up my SSV. I do crave big hits at times. But if I could only have one, I'd keep the PD-no contest. But that's just me. Others may feel the opposite.

But don't buy the PD because it's close to the SSV in hit size. It's debatable and depends on the person. I can easily get big enough hits for some clouds. Check out vaporcloud's vid on youtube if you haven't. Buy the PD because it's a great vape, a beautiful piece of craftsmanship, and will save you $ on herb like no other vape.

max,

jklasd

max, your right, i might have took what you said out of context, but i think i misread it. sorry.
while i agree that buying the PD for the right reasons: "it's a great vape, a beautiful piece of craftsmanship, and will save you $ on herb like no other vape" is good, ill have to disagree that buying it for the hit size is wrong. for some that is important. like you said, you like yourself some big hits, like most of us do. again, while i misread your post about the hit size, i still feel that it gives a bigger hit then what i thought it would, and buying it for the comparsion of hits to the SSV isn't a bad thing. i like big hits myself, as ive stated. the way i see it, i have 3 options. 1) i can pick ONE vape: i can get a new SSV, tried and tested by me and i know i love, i can get a DBV, which is very close to the SSV (i believe the only thing different that really matters (to me) is the heater is a little less powerful), or get the PD, which is tried and tested by many others, just not myself. 2) i can get the PD and the DBV which will give me great efficenticy(PD) and big hits (DBV). both are which is safe to say are great vapes. 3) i stay out of the game and quit all together. while i hate the idea, i have to wonder if losing the SSV was a sign. i am leaning more towards of new vape, and while i dont think i want a new SSV, option 2 sounds very good to me. obviously before i make my decision, im gonna be doing alot more research and make up my mind, but i do know the PD was on my list of a vape i wanted. i also know that if the PD hit size are not exactly what i was expecting, the DBV should solve all of that.

thanks stickstones, i shall read that. while i got nothing wrong with reading 85 pages of info, you have to wonder how many info have been restated in those pages, as well as off topic posts.

jklasd,

jklasd

also, does anyone know if there is S&H to canada? i couldn't see mention of it on the PD site. and for those who have got one who reside in canada, how much did you have to pay in duty at the post office? i imagine it would be different per province, but doesn't hurt to ask. thanks:)

jklasd,

Purple-Days

Hi, jklasd, thanks for the interest in the Purple-Days.

For the quickest and most informative responses (from us) send us an E-Mail. We respond. Same goes for inquiries about shipping dates or lead times etc.

But as long as we are here... All prices include shipping (US Postal First Class outside the USA and Priority 2-3 Day inside). I'm not sure what handling is... but each kit gets about 4-5 hours of it. :lol:

Taxes / tarrifs in North America ? Hope we get a sure answer. I don't think there are any with the postal Service... But we declare a $140 value on customs forms going to Canada (less our $10 Domestic shipping cost) and Internationals elsewhere are valued at $130 (less domestic shipping and the transformer). Sorry folks, but we just can't ship them as gifts, it's a small town with just three Postal workers (my neighbors) and I just won't lie to them (or others...). We hope you understand. :cool:

Purple-Days,

jklasd

Purple-Days said:
Hi, jklasd, thanks for the interest in the Purple-Days.

For the quickest and most informative responses (from us) send us an E-Mail. We respond. Same goes for inquiries about shipping dates or lead times etc.

But as long as we are here... All prices include shipping (US Postal First Class outside the USA and Priority 2-3 Day inside). I'm not sure what handling is... but each kit gets about 4-5 hours of it. :lol:

Taxes / tarrifs in North America ? Hope we get a sure answer. I don't think there are any with the postal Service... But we declare a $140 value on customs forms going to Canada (less our $10 Domestic shipping cost) and Internationals elsewhere are valued at $130 (less domestic shipping and the transformer). Sorry folks, but we just can't ship them as gifts, it's a small town with just three Postal workers (my neighbors) and I just won't lie to them (or others...). We hope you understand. :cool:
haha thanks tom.
im also not sure about how customs work, but i know when i got my ssv i believe i had to pay 12 bucks to accept it. it was either my ssv or the sega genesis i ordered from ebay haha, cant remember which.

jklasd,

Purple-Days

I suppose the best folks to ask would be your local Postal Service. :2c:
,but I'm sure others with personal experience in Canada can give us a guide...

Purple-Days,

jklasd

thats what im hoping for. now its too late to ask since they are close, but ill be sure to call and ask. i believe they said anything over $50 you need to pay duty on, when i ask when i picked up either my sega or the ssv. thanks again tom. if i had to pick one vape now, it be yours :)

jklasd,

rukus13

Just wanted to update now that I've had my PD for well over a week. I have to say I love it even more. Somebody earlier mentioned the PD not having a temp control. This is a good thing. No muss no fuss just load it and go. Besides on other vapes once you find the sweet spot you don't really mess with it at least I dont. With the PD you don't have to find the sweet spot. It's all about technique. I happen to agree that the amount of hits you get means nothing. I usually get one really good one almost to the point of coughing and then one light one. Now its not the best stuff to start with so I could see getting 3-5 with better stuff or smaller hits. Point being it can suit both those that want to milk it all in one hit or those that want to take their time. One thing that amazes me everytime is the efficiency and how evenly it heats the bowl. All I can figure is that your are getting both convection and conduction going on which maximizes the efficiency. Oh and for those starting out don't bother stirring your bowls there is no need though I like to turn the tube halfway around about halfway through the hit seems to milk just a little more out of the first hit which I like to maximize.

rukus13,

tadrossi

I find that my purple days heats up a little more in the car. My battery puts out about 14v. I love it in the house as well but the little extra temp makes for some monster hits. The PD is all about control. The more breath control you have the more that you can make it do.:)

tadrossi,

HoneyAir

rukus13 said:
Oh and for those starting out don't bother stirring your bowls there is no need though I like to turn the tube halfway around about halfway through the hit seems to milk just a little more out of the first hit which I like to maximize.
Exactly, I'd stir my whip vape bowl like crazy to get as much out of it [the popcorn-taste road]...

I've never had to stir a PD bowl once... its as easy as rotating the stem if you are trying to get more out of it.

HoneyAir,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
jklasd said:
also, does anyone know if there is S&H to canada? i couldn't see mention of it on the PD site. and for those who have got one who reside in canada, how much did you have to pay in duty at the post office? i imagine it would be different per province, but doesn't hurt to ask. thanks:)
if I remind correclty , it took about 10 days and it cost me like 20-22buck for duty fee

Clear_Dome,

jklasd

Clear_Dome said:
jklasd said:
if I remind correclty , it took about 10 days and it cost me like 20-22buck for duty fee
thank you sir. may i ask what part of the great white north you reside in? province wise.

jklasd,
Top Bottom