Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Pammy-Days

Lovely Assistant
Hi UrutuBsb, I just sent you an email. No, your PD is not the new version, it will have the purple LED. Believe me, we hated getting rid of it too:( I suggested a purple rhinestone or stone in it's place.

Spiral, yes you can have one without the Logo on it. All you need do is ask. :brow: It's not my design, won't hurt our feelings one bit. I agree with Tom, what nice things to say about us. We're trying to be nice and treat people like we wish we could be treated:) :peace:

It's weird the more I look at it though, the more I really like it. I'm hoping to come up with a few more designs to choose from. Any ideas??? :uhoh:

Pammy-Days,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Hey Pammy, :)

I was talking with some friends who are on the fringe of ordering a PD and they were kinda confused about the design change. I told them I would ask if it's possible to still request the purple LED (and not include it under warranty), let me know, please. :)

On that note, tonight, again, I brought over my PD to a friends house. I had transported it warm via the car adapter all the way and a few moments after arriving I plugged it in. We vaped a few bowls and another comrade came over.... he hadn't seen it before and was really curious as to how it functioned. I told him it was one of the most durable vaporizers on the market and I dropped it exactly 1 foot from the ground onto a soft carpet floor and the purple LED went out! :(

I mentioned the recent design change to them all, about the replacement of the LED for engraving. It continued to vaporize fine for the rest of the night, when spontaneously, the light came back on!!!! My friend dubbed it the 'zombie vape' :lol: It's back at home, glowing bright as ever. I can now really see the reasons behind the design change. :)

As far as ideas for engraving, well, I am quite fond of spirals if you can't tell, so upon ordering my secondary travel unit, whenever that is, I'm sure you can already guess what I might request ;).

As long as it is possible through your artistic means Pammy, isn't small personal requests like that really, the final, personal touch? Initials, idioms, :peace: , symbols -- maybe for a nominal fee you could allow people to request custom engraving (much like Apple offers with their iPods). I'm not sure how possible that is on the business end, but yeah, just throwing the idea out their. :)

And yes, you two really are great. I bring over my PD to my friends places quite often and they all love it, I can't quit gushing about how great you two and your intvention are. :D

SpiralArchitect,

Purple-Days

That is what we call a 'spooky' LED, Spiral, and Pammy's little laminated one did that, but is on and burning bright. I'm convinced it is because of heat migrating through the wires.

No, I'm sorry, we will not be offering any First Edition models. The LED just isn't reliable under these conditions. I intended to make a healthy and durable vape, maybe the most durable, but that LED, no matter how cool was dragging things down.

At first the LED was soldered directly to the diode, I learned about soldering-heat-failure, early on the bench.

Next came a wiring stand-off from the diode and gator clips to isolate the LED during construction. That eliminated bench failure. But PDs continued to get an infrequent 'spooky' or failed LED during use.

Next I got two #4 screws and washers in stainless, of course. Drilled pilot holes in the interior wiring cavity and made two heat sink terminals. The wiring from the heater now wrapped around those terminals before going on to the rest of the circuitry. Man, I was happy with the upgrade and thought it would solve the problem. Not entirely, I had a unit with these upgrades loose it's LED within a week. That was very discouraging and along with a few other 'spooky' and failed LEDs was the reason to sit and think hard about the LED and it's purpose. It just had to go...

BTW I have kept the two heat sink terminals in the new design, they really make things tight on the inside, more durable than ever, and dissipate enough heat that the power jack stays cooler, and that is just extra.

Pammy says, "It's not my design, won't hurt our feelings one bit.". No, it's my design, did it that first day when Pammy wanted a purple light. It's the logo on our box-top. And yes, logo free models will be available, in addition to the Standard and Vegan models. Soon as I get a pic I will make a logo-free units available on our site. See I do listen...

BTW, Spiral, I'll be glad to re-sole your PD. But, it's leather... This is just me, but I would never show up to hunt with 'new' boots, or at a job-site with a 'new' tool-belt. Nicks and dings and dirt and whatever else you throw at it are just signs of everyday use. That was the idea, this isn't a party dress, it's a pair of jeans... made for everyday use. :cool:

UrutuBsb, your unit was shipped with the two heat sinks and LED. These heat sinks should give the LED a better chance of survival, but if the LED fails the unit still works. Please let us know if you have any problems, we will make it right.

Oh yeah, 72 fins and why. It felt good to say " 'cuase I felt like it." But the truth is 'cause I could... I saw an opportunity in the design. It can't hurt, and the location is at a critical point in the air-path, just before entering the tube.

And can we call it Phase 2 or the PD2, That 2.0 sounds awful. :2c:

Looks like AofZ was post #1000 on this thread, incredible. :o

Purple-Days,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
PD2 sounds good to me. Will be a while until I can afford a PD but I like the changes. The light was cool, but simplicity and reliability beats the added expense and warranty issues. Now the PD is even more stealthy... won't need to explain to anyone what that little purple light is doing. Just a nice piece of wood sitting there quietly ;). I prefer it without the logo on the side for this reason also, but it certainly should have one underneath.

hazy,

KeepCalm

Reindeer, reindeer, reindeer
Hey guys, I was one of the ones with an LED failure. The unit worked just fine (err, better than fine :ko:) but the LED just mysteriously went out. When I mentioned it to Tom and Pammy, they 1) assured me they would fix it right away, whenever I felt like sending it in (I had to hang on to it for a week or so before I could bear to part with it); 2) offered to send me a loaner (!) while my unit was in the shop; 3) once I sent it in, decided they'd rather give me a NEW one than have me wait to have the old one fixed; and 4) picked me a really, really nice piece of cherry wood to make my new one out of.

Broke in the new PD last night for hours upon hours and all I can say is I wish all customer service was this good and all vape products were this good.

KeepCalm,

bongoman

Any other PD1 users feel they need to collect the set and get a PD2?

I've got absolutely no reason to even think about buying another vape as my PD1 is going strong, but still, I have this strange uncontrollable urge to visit the PD website and start browsing the woods again...I think I need help.

If only the Australian dollar wasn't so weak right now...

bongoman,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Thanks for the info Tom, I love reading 'the adventures and developments in Purple-Days land'..... :D

And yes, what a feat, over a thousand posts in this thread! Truly phenomenal. :cool:

I see what your saying about the leather... damn your good, Tom. Somehow you instantly made me love all the 'character' it has gained recently. :lol:

Reading about KeepCalm's experience with them makes me just glow, you two really are as good as it gets, but certainly not too good to be true!

bongoman, I have an urge for a secondary unit, but nothing to justify the purchase. It's not likely I'll be ordering one any time soon but possibly in the future. :)

:peace:

SpiralArchitect,

max

Out to lunch
You are not alone bongoman. For a lot of us, PD fever is not cured by buying one. ;pd; :uhoh: ;pd;
Could be some new woods to consider in '09. :brow:

max,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
You have an ETA on your 'custom' PD max? IIRC, it still has the light, yes? What about the improved heat exchanger?

SpiralArchitect,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
bongoman said:
Any other PD1 users feel they need to collect the set and get a PD2?

I've got absolutely no reason to even think about buying another vape as my PD1 is going strong, but still, I have this strange uncontrollable urge to visit the PD website and start browsing the woods again...I think I need help.

It sounds super corny but I'm sure many PD owners will agree it's much more than just a really excellent vaporizer. Even though 1 PD stands a good chance to last a lifetime, the urge to start a collection of such beautiful and functional pieces of art is undeniable for me. The new changes make it even more attractive imo, and at half the price of lesser vapes it's almost crazy not to. It's worth so much more than $150 to me, and as mentioned, if production ever stops, you can expect the value to skyrocket.

I realize that sounds almost like marketing but you guys know it's 110% sincere. Just like Tom and Pam. What a fantastic thing to be a part of. :)

vtac,

Purple-Days

Both pieces of Max's Pyinma cracked. :mad: that's wood sometimes. I'm going to try to make something else out of the salvage wood for him.

That's one reason we like cherry, very few pieces have problems.
But even cherry can have defects, this was a fun explosion on the lathe.

That's a real problem with exotics, out of 5 potential PD pieces of Rose She-Oak I got one acceptable unit, 1 of the 5 I screwed up, 1 had checking and two were just not pretty. Not much margin when you face odds like that.

Same kinda thing with Blackwood. Of the 7-8 potential PDs 3-4 had figure enough to be called figured.

I think for now custom PDs from customer supplied woods are off the table. I will still be trying to find exotic woods (sustainable harvest, like Tea Tree and Tas Blackwood) to offer once in a while, but expect American Cherry to be the dominant wood for a Purple-Days body. (Ash and Oak maybe someday).

BTW I don't think the 72 fin heat exchanger is any big deal, compared to the 60 fin style. I will still be using my durability-test-unit with it's dead LED and 60 fin Heat Exchanger.

There was no reason, other than the opportunity showing itself, to change the design. It was just another of those moments, who knows where they come from, I saw it differently and Eureka.

Thanks for the compliments KeepCalm(edit: and VTAC, you posted while I was composing), we try to treat folks like they are our neighbors or friends, (or us) on the other end. :)

Purple-Days,

max

Out to lunch
SpiralArchitect said:
You have an ETA on your 'custom' PD max? IIRC, it still has the light, yes? What about the improved heat exchanger?
Yeah-my bad luck with the wood. The problem was it wasn't dried enough. If I'd known what I know now, I'd have kept the wood here at home until it was properly dried. Knowing when it gets to the right point of dryness is the other problem. Tom's problems with his own woods show what a difficult proposition it can be to get a piece successfully transformed into a PD. Between finding the right size piece that fits the wood density profile, and the dryness issue, it becomes a really iffy deal to send Tom wood and have everything go right. I found out the hard way.

max,

vibes1952

HI guys/Tom

As one of those who could not resist the power of the 'wood'.

I did purchase a 2nd PD (She-Oak.....not sure which of the 5 She-Oaks Tom mentioned, but
either way I like how it looks if not the beautiful one ) I've not seen grains in wood like that before.
At first I thought why a different wood, I'll never notice it, but now that I have lived with it...yes...I do find myself looking at the wood grain/PD as an object to be looked at. I'm happy I did get the 2nd unit.
Everytime I'd look at the website and see one of the exotics I said to myself, I should have spent the extra few bucks.....well....having the self control of a 4 year old.......:brow:.......

My LED in the She-Oak unit did die an untimely death. I wasn't too shook up because I knew the PD works independently of the LED and I agree with others that the LED did cut down on the stealthness.
(I really glad to see the PD will be offered with no logo if wanted). I think I know what killed the LED. I was plugging in the adaptor plug because it had fallen out, I saw a small spark when I plugged it in.
I noticed the purple LED got dimmer and dimmer and eventually stopped breathing. :(

But, the PD keeps on truckin !

vibes1952,

Purple-Days

Your's was the only Rose She-Oak, Vibes. The best, and only one that worked out. I screwed the other pretty one up. That wood has a very unique pattern and depth that can't really photograph well.

Sorry to hear about your LED, Of course we will be glad to repair it if you wish, or you can leave it in stealth mode. Let us know what we can do.

Another testament to getting rid of the LED.

I swore, if this wasn't fun, I wouldn't do it. And LED failure was making it miserable. I'm not the kind that takes failure well. :( :mad: :/

But, this is an opportunity to move on, provide good service to any who get bad LEDs and want them repaired, and keep a good reputation. :)

Purple-Days,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
max,

How unfortunate! I was so envious of your custom pieces too... :( Now I am just sad for you. I guess it does happen. Your still getting a secondary unit, yes? Any choice on the wood?

vtac,

You put that so well, infact, perfectly. Their is a spot in my heart for a secondary unit, but it won't be for some time.... I think I will get the tried and true Cherry wood. :)

vibes1952,

Hey buddy, that's cool you got the She-Oak as a secondary unit, I think I remember reading some of your posts early on in this thread. What was your first wood? I was almost going to pick the She-Oak but opted for Tea-tree... not as flashy, but damn that Orange wood sure is trippy. :p

Tom,

Precisely. This is an improvement in the PD. I can assure you, I've been trying to spread the greatness that is the Purple-Days to others, both online and in person. Everyone is so intrigued by the vaporizer and for good reasons too!

All,
Hope everyone has a good Sunday! It's finally snowing (it's been amazingly warm and wet lately), so that calls for some Hot Cocoa, some good movies and the handy-dandy, Purple-Days. :D

SpiralArchitect,

Reverend

I am a 'newbie' here, but after reading through this whole thread (wow that took a while :o ) and seeing other favorable reviews at a few other sites across the interweb, I ordered myself a PD tonight :)

Anyway it sounds like a great well made setup, and sounds like the people that make it are awesome, so I am looking forward to tryign it out - I'm sure my lungs will thanks me for it (it'll be my first vape system too!)

Reverend,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
And you'll be lucky enough to get the updated - uprated version too Reverend. Welcome to FC

My LED failed over a week ago as well. I don't even think I noticed for the first couple of days and don't even care one bit. The new design is a good idea and good business as having to replace a unit due to a small cosmetic defect would become costly overtime.

Smart and great people Tom and Pammy.

vaporcloud,

bongoman

Good move Reverend - I think there are many on this forum who wish that the PD had been their introduction to the world of vaporising. Could have saved us a lot of money as we tried out different models.

bongoman,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Reverend,

Welcome to the family, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Cool avatar BTW, my brothers love that show but I have yet to get into it. :D

What kind of wood did you pick? It will certainly be an excellent introductory vaporizer.... I own 3 diff vaps and it's pretty much all I use now regardless. :lol:

SpiralArchitect,

GSH

On a Möbius plane
Hey all,

I too have read pretty much all of this thread and threads on other Vaps over the last couple of weeks, and decided to order myself a PD.

I actually came across the unit on VapeNow.com, and ordered it from there, has anyone else ordered theirs from here?

I can't wait to try the unit out when it arrives which should be sometime this week or early next...this will be my first "proper" introduction to vaping (I already have a VG) and I hope to use the method to help me quit smoking (I use tobacco in my herb mix currently) for good!

:D

GSH,

max

Out to lunch
Welcome to the forum and PD ownership GSH. ;pd; :luv: You've made a wise purchase. ;)

I actually came across the unit on VapeNow.com, and ordered it from there, has anyone else ordered theirs from here?
As far as FC members, I can't recall, but you'll get the same kit at the same price. Vapenow is a good dealer and currently the only PD source other than Tom's site. If you have any questions or concerns after you get your PD, contact Tom and Pammy at info@purple-days.com.

Good luck with your attempt to quit smoking. I know how hard that can be. :rolleyes:

max,

GSH

On a Möbius plane
Thanks for the warm welcome and info max!

I hope to be posting my escapades with the PD in the very near future :p

GSH,
Top Bottom