Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

max

Out to lunch
vtac said:
SpiralArchitect said:
To be honest, my only, minor, complaint about the PD is how often you have to clean the screens (after about 4-5 bowls) to get maximum airflow.
That's funny it's more like 50 bowls for me, using some pretty resinous herb too. 150 bowls with 3 supplied tubes, super easy to clean-- no complaints here. :)

Never had problem with accidentally picking the screen out but haven't had a need to stir the tiny bowl either (could this be related to your quick clogging?). That's a cool tip though. I use a thick purple rubber band (from broccoli) to keep the car adapter cord neat when not in use.
For me, although I haven't counted, I'd have to go with vtac's numbers on cleaning. I get no screen clogging to speak of. A little buildup around the clip maybe, but no significant obstruction on the screen itself. And I've been using mine for over 6 months now. I usually clean when I notice (or taste) a little residue on the inside of the tube. Frequent cleaning is certainly helpful for maximum efficiency though. I'd definitely nominate the PD as the easist vape on the market to clean, whether you do it often or not.

max,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
~50 bowls?????!

I find that so hard to believe, I am really sorry, I do! But OK, as long as it works for you. :)

It's a rather small and simple modification, but another advantage of it is the increased airflow. I soaked a tube overnight (stock screen) and it is 100% clean. I blow through it and notice the slight constriction of airflow. When I blow through the one with the new screens, it's much more 'open'. Try it for yourself. :D

Could Tom maybe weigh in on the screens and why he picked them? I'd just like to hear your :2c:, if you'd be so kind.

I ordered a Shaker Screen and it appears it's the same kind of mesh as the PD tubes.... my guess it's the same stuff, but IDK really..... I think it's like 'door screening' or something. *shrug*

Anyways yeah, the PD rocks. ;) I'd totally agree with you max on it being the easiest vape to clean, hands down....

edit/// Oh vtac, I didn't see that Purple-Rubber band thingie... haha, that's great dude! I need to go to the grocery store and get one (not a big broccoli fan, but others in the family are). It's kinda nice having a bunch of little 'purple-accessories', especially when they work so well. :D

Also, I was bored and stoned and thought this might be a more appropriate comparison of the screens...
Top, stock / bottom, new

SpiralArchitect,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
SpiralArchitect said:
Could Tom maybe weigh in on the screens and why he picked them? I'd just like to hear your :2c:, if you'd be so kind.

I ordered a Shaker Screen and it appears it's the same kind of mesh as the PD tubes.... my guess it's the same stuff, but IDK really..... I think it's like 'door screening' or something. *shrug*

Also, I was bored and stoned and thought this might be a more appropriate comparison of the screens...
Top, stock / bottom, new
[url]http://s1d3.turboimagehost.com/t/992961_comparison.JPG[/url]
unfair.....top is still uncleaned but i still believe you :)

Hennessy1414,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
I found picking the ABV out of the bowl rather than blowing it out caused the screen to clog up a lot quicker. When you blow out the plug it removes the whole thing because the heat has bound all the plant material together. When you pick it out residues etc are left behind which gather in the screen and quickly clog it. I can get well over 50 bowls worth before thinking of doing an ISO wash.

I also have one bowl that the wife picked out (by accident) the bottom clip. The screen is still firmly in-place and funnily enough this tube has the least restricted air-flow of the 3 :shrug:

I tried the PD through a bong in the weekend and was less than satisfactory. I did get some milky hits but the filtering process also diluted the taste and just introduced too much air. I'm totally sold on the stem extension though.

vaporcloud,

max

Out to lunch
When I blow through the one with the new screens, it's much more 'open'. Try it for yourself.
Send me one of your modified tubes and I'll be happy to try it. I may even return it. :lol: The downside of a screen that has better airflow would be more small particles getting through. There's nearly always a tradeoff.

I'm gonna mark one of my tubes and attempt to keep count of how many bowls I use in it before I can see any clogging of the screen. There's some reason why we're seeing such a big difference from one user to another.

vaporcloud said:
I found picking the ABV out of the bowl rather than blowing it out caused the screen to clog up a lot quicker.
Makes sense. Blowing it out directly after you're done with the bowl is definitely the easiest way to empty the bowl.

max,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Interesting Vaporcloud, I contemplated leaving the clip on the bowlside out, because it seemed unnecessary, but I then figured they kept you from 'blowing' out the screen. I might take the bottom clip out of one and label it for further experimentation (of course keeping the clip for safe keeping/later use).

And Hennessy, it's perfectly fair.... the metal 'twine' is so much larger, it's that deceiving. Later today I'll try and get a better macro comparison, if you so desire. Like I said, this is really just my guess, and I hope Tom can let us know the skinny, but I think the Screens/Shaker screens are from large sheets of stainless steel mesh, possibly for screen doors? I really don't know, and will leave it at that though.... :)

SpiralArchitect,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Spiral, you stir the bowl between hits right? That's gotta be it. Unless Tom sabotaged you with some voodoo screen.

Why anyone would pick out the spent herb instead of blowing it out is a mystery. :p

vtac,

Purple-Days

Spiral, that is not screen door material. It is stainless mesh and I gave (you maybe?) the specs way back. 50 Mesh T316 Stainless .009" Wire Dia.

The Shakey Screens and the PD vapor screens are made from the same material. Pam and I and others seem to think 40-50 bowls between ISO washes is about average. We do not stir the material in the bowl.

I'll take your word that the other mfg uses lighter weight material. :) These screens are intended to be permanent, though you have proved quite well that rebuilding a tip is pretty easy stuff.

Purple-Days,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
No, I don't stir it in between hits. After I get about 3-4 good hits off of it, I empty the bowl, either by blowing it in my hand, which doesn't always work out as well as it seems to others (either it doesn't budge, or it explodes in a cloud of duff, doh!), or I just use my little tack to keep it in there and stir it up. Maybe that's causing it to clog faster, but I don't see how that is possible.

I'm assuming everyone grinds their bud before using it in the PD, yes? Sometimes I just pop in a few little bits right off the bud, this stuff I have right now is re-dank-ulious.Maybe my bud is too kiefy. I never thought that might be a 'bad' thing. :lol:

edit//

Hey Tom, thanks for chiming in. Glad you could clear that up. And yes, that was me that you gave the info on the Shaker Screens, much appreciated :D... I hope someone else gives it a try, maybe, so that way I don't seem like such a loon. :p (only kidding, I'll always be a goofball)

SpiralArchitect,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
SpiralArchitect said:
No, I don't stir it in between hits. After I get about 3-4 good hits off of it, I empty the bowl, either by blowing it in my hand, which doesn't always work out as well as it seems to others (either it doesn't budge, or it explodes in a cloud of duff, doh!),
hahaha I've done that a few times - poof a blast of ABV dust :lol: ... but the bowls are so small its not really that messy as such.

I must admit the first lot of PD ABV I revapped had a slight taste of incense or perfume (?) and I suspect it was the small duff bag supplied as it had a scent about it - maybe they are stored in a sented draw or something :lol: I've always used the little bag for my ABV plugs. One quick mouth blow and it clears the plug into the bag. Anyhow, I didn't really like the perfume taste so I gave the little duff bag a quick hand wash in warm water and its been primo ever since. I just turn it inside out and all that light brown duff gets stored for the revapping.

vaporcloud,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
SpiralArchitect said:
I just use my little tack to keep it in there and stir it up. Maybe that's causing it to clog faster, but I don't see how that is possible.
Breaks the herb up into smaller particles and pushes it into the screen?

I don't think it's because your herb is 10 (50/5) times more resinous than mine. If it really is, I'm coming over immediately. :)

vtac,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
vtac said:
SpiralArchitect said:
I just use my little tack to keep it in there and stir it up. Maybe that's causing it to clog faster, but I don't see how that is possible.

I don't think it's because your herb is 10 (50/5) times more resinous than mine. If it really is, I'm coming over immediately. :)
50%THC hash..im in aswell

no bud on earth...never mind :rolleyes:

Hennessy1414,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Who made the claim my bud was '10 times more resinous than anyone elses'? :/
And what does '50/5' mean?

vtac said:
As oppose to breaking it up into dust in your hand and sucking it back up? I don't see how it would make that much of a difference, but I do see your point. And you are welcome to visit any time. We are 'northern neighbors, after all. :brow:

'Don't knock it till you've tried it' :2c: If anything, like Tom said, it's a testament to how easy it is to fix up a tube. ;)

and Vaporcloud, I noticed that about the bags too. Had a detergent scent to it. I didn't bother blowing my spent stuff into it. I use a glass container. Glass = inert. :)

SpiralArchitect,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Who made the claim my bud was '10 times more resinous than anyone elses'? hmm
And what does '50/5' mean?
50 bowls to 5 bowls-- 10 times. You said "Maybe my bud is too kiefy" I didn't mean it as an accusation. :)

As oppose to breaking it up into dust in your hand and sucking it back up? I don't see how it would make that much of a difference, but I do see your point. And you are welcome to visit any time. We are 'northern neighbors, after all.
Breaking it up into dust and sucking it back up would surely clog the screen more quickly. I don't do either of those things so I'm guessing that's why I get 50. Definitely hope to visit some day. :)

Good night, purple people. :peace: ;pd; :leaf:

vtac,

Purple-Days

We ship the Violet Blossom oil on that bag, maybe that is where any scent comes from.

Pam loads those little bottles herself and is as careful as possible to not get any on the rim before I crank the lids on, then we shrink wrap the bottles, but that must be the scent. We store the bags clean in a Rubbermaid bin so no odor there.

As stated a quick wash in soapy water is an easy fix and freshens an old dirty blow bag.

Purple-Days,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Tom, good call on the smell coming from the violet blossom oil. :)

I'm actually just about out and the link you guys gave me in an e-mail for a site to order more from didn't work (escentral).... any where else you might know of? I really enjoy using this as a aroma diffuser and whenever I bring it over to my friends, he insists I bring the oil and stuff with me because he loves the smell. Pam had mentioned your fond of Sandalwood. I have Sandalwood incense that are lovely, but too smokey.

and vtac, I gotcha now. A little cheeched. :D 5 bowls is the absolute minimum. I like my screens just about as clean as possible on the PD, so it's likely I simply just clean them before most. :)

SpiralArchitect,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Oh wow, it's working now..... one even has a talking wizard! Thanks a bunch Pam, I'm ordering up some right now. :brow:

edit.//

Are the 'fragrance' oils offered by the Scent Wizard the same kind of stuff as the 'essential oils'?

I have some Sandalwood, Exotic Rain and Egyptian Musk picked out... I just want to make sure I am getting the right stuff, it appears to be much cheaper than what is offered on the other site.

SpiralArchitect,

Purple-Days

Belated welcome to the PD Family Pitz, glad to see you here again.

I believe you have a point about a bit of conduction, contributing to the process. I've noted a couple of folks letting the bowl warm in the heat exchanger before starting their draw, and that steel tip is certainly hot enough to get your attention when you first pull it out,

Pammy knows the diff between the two Spiral, but we will have to wait, she sleeps in. There is a difference. She has a cigar-box full of little bottles. :rolleyes:

Sandalwood is a good one. I've got a Mandarin Orange and Cassis that is a good light smell. And Himilaya which has a spruce and outdoor smell.

Did you try stripping/scrapping some incense off the stick and putting it in the cup? No smoke, just smell. Wash your hands before loading you next bowl though. :lol:

BTW anybody visiting the site may note we have the Temporarily Sold Out sign up. We expect more vapor tip material (stainless steel coming from MA) to arrive any day, but don't want to accept orders we can't fill. So as soon as I have material we can get back to business as usual. :)

BTW we are planning a design change after the Holiday, so those of you with the original, really do have an original, Details coming soon.

Purple-Days,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
After the holiday season, or your waiting-for-more-vapor-tips holiday? I guess we've kept you pretty busy lately. :lol:

I'll be racking my brains on what the change could be. Enjoy your holiday, thanks for all the vapor you've created around the world. Hi Pam!

Edit: I've been using the same tube for a while, haven't been counting but I'm sure it's been at least 50 bowls. Tried to take some close ups.

The flash shot really shows the resin building up, mostly around the clips, but looking through it at a light bulb, you can see the airflow isn't being blocked too much yet. Impaired but working fine for me with an even cook. After it's next cleaning I'm going to get all OCD and try aligning the 2 clips (ends marked in green). Fun playing with our toys isn't it. :)

Edit2: Just cleaned it and aligned the clips. Seems like it's a little easier to draw through, though I didn't mind the 'tighter' hit with a little resin either. ;)

vtac,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
Did you try stripping/scrapping some incense off the stick and putting it in the cup? No smoke, just smell. Wash your hands before loading you next bowl though. lol
i do that all the time, i leave my pd on all the time with some incense in its cap, now even burning incense seems outdated :lol:

Acolyte of Zinglon,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
BTW we are planning a design change after the Holiday, so those of you with the original, really do have an original, Details coming soon.
:o waiting with baited breath on that one :cool:

vaporcloud,

max

Out to lunch
That would be 'bated breath' vc. And the change is no big deal. He's just going to change the design from round to square, with nice sharp edges. :uhoh:

max,

bongoman

Hey fellow PD users, I got reading the instructions for the Eterra which of course operates on a similar way to the PD with a stem and a heat exchanger. I found the instructions quite specific and am wondering to what extent they might apply to PD use as well...here's an extract that I found interesting:

With the Eterra its important to stop inhaling at the point that 1st heat is detected. Remove the stem from the heat source and continue to inhale and pull off vapors. One can always reinsert under cooked or "sticky" material for another round or two. The important point is not to dry out the throat by being over ambitious. One best employ a method where the stem is inserted and let sit for one or two seconds before inhalation. Inhalation best be slow steady, short and sweet, another few seconds only. Always keep "sipping" after removing the stem from the hot boot, this can be the most flavorful and satisfying time.
In contrast, I've been tending to take as long as possible draws on my PD - long, slow 'ambitious' draws for as long as possible.

I thought it was interesting that with the Eterra it is suggested to to preheat the tube before drawing, and to stop drawing as soon as you feel heat and to keep drawing once you've withdrawn the stem....

bongoman,
Top Bottom