Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

VaporEyeSore

Iv managed to get my hands on a Pandora from a friend in uk . I turned it on left it for an hour then tried it out.
It gets hot ,hot enough to burn if you touch the metal and warm to hold on the outside. Filled a tube just about tight enough to stay in but inhale through but not getting the clouds its famous for. Infact my iolite works better.
It connected to a uk 12v variable adapter set at 12v but does it need longer to heat up than an hour if it hasnt been used in a long time?
Another question is about the power connection. The unit it uses has an adaptor on the end and im not sure if positive and negative are set correctly as it gives the option of both. Does it even matter? At the moment i have a positve inner and negative outer is this correct ?

VaporEyeSore,

nuvap

85% Sativa / 15% Indica
VaporEyeSore said:
Iv managed to get my hands on a Pandora from a friend in uk . I turned it on left it for an hour then tried it out.
It gets hot ,hot enough to burn if you touch the metal and warm to hold on the outside. Filled a tube just about tight enough to stay in but inhale through but not getting the clouds its famous for. Infact my iolite works better.
It connected to a uk 12v variable adapter set at 12v but does it need longer to heat up than an hour if it hasnt been used in a long time?
Another question is about the power connection. The unit it uses has an adaptor on the end and im not sure if positive and negative are set correctly as it gives the option of both. Does it even matter? At the moment i have a positve inner and negative outer is this correct ?
I think I can shed a little light on this for you, as I am also using a PD in the UK and have recently been testing different power supplies.

(the comments below are my opinions, and not those of the manufacturer, so please bear that in mind)

From my experience a UK 12v regulated power supply does not give enough juice to get anywhere near decent vapor from the PD. You can get some vapor but it is weak and the herb will be still be a bit green no matter how many times you try to draw.

(the long answer)
When I first got my PD I used it with a 12v 1a unregulated power supply (which was actually from a modem) and it worked perfectly but after looking for a spare PSU, I bought a 12v regulated one from Maplins which is when I discovered how poor the PD worked with this new regulated PSU compared to the unregulated one I normally used. So I grabbed a multimeter and tested the voltage coming out of the both PSU; the regulated 12v give out 12.4v and the unregulated give out a whopping (and scary) 15.3v. At this point I starting googling the difference between unregulated and regulated, and apparently this is the norm; a unregulated PSU only guarantees it will give at LEAST 12v at a 1a load, so as the PD is about 700ma load I guess the supply was giving out between 13-14v (as I was getting 15.3v with no load), which explained why I was getting such a dramatic difference in performance. So back to maplins I went and bought a variable voltage regulated PSU which would do 12v and 13.2v; I then tested it with a multimeter and while set at 13.2v it give out 13.4v, so I tested it with the PD.

The result, after a week of testing, is that (in the UK at least) the PD seems to perform almost identically with either a unregulated 12v 1a supply or a regulated 13.2v supply; the temperature feels the same whilst holding the unit and the ABV is coming out the same shade (i.e. at its darkest a nice dark brown/mahogany) - there is certainly no burning going on.

(the short answer)
For the UK at least; A unregulated 12v 1a PSU is what you want if possible but failing that, a regulated 13.2v PSU will give you as near as damn the same results.

Hope that helps.

nuvap,

VaporEyeSore

That helps a lot i will start searching for one. Do ou know how the adapter should be setup? Is it positive it the middle? I pulled it off without realising and am not sure if it is the right way round.

I will go for the unregulated do you have a 500 or 1000 mA ?

VaporEyeSore,

nuvap

85% Sativa / 15% Indica
VaporEyeSore said:
That helps a lot i will start searching for one. Do ou know how the adapter should be setup? Is it positive it the middle? I pulled it off without realising and am not sure if it is the right way round.

I will go for the unregulated do you have a 500 or 1000 mA ?
This is the regulated one I bought as it gives the option for both 12v and 13.2v, All the other ones I saw were 13.5v.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/ac-dc-multi-voltage-2500ma-switched-mode-power-supply-49063

The center pin can be either positive or negative with the PD, it doesn't matter. As for the ampage, you need at least 1000mA (1A).

I couldn't find anywhere that sold unregulated 12v 1A UK PSUs, which is why I had to go the 13.2 regulated route, so if you do find somewhere that sells them please let me know.

nuvap,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
EyeSore, watch out with too high a voltage- and IMO 16v is. When I first built my Pandora my transformer hadn't yet arrived and so I used one of those transformers that's like a car lighter socket that you plug into the wall and used the PD car power cable.

First hit was a massive cloud- would have put the SSV to shame :lol: but it did taste a bit yuck and almost acrid. Anyway had a couple of my first stems, pretty stoned and impressed with the hugeness of the vapor clouds (given what I'd been realistically expecting), and happend to tip the Pandora upside down- and a big splat of melted solder ran out and dropped on the floor making one of those thin melted splash shapes about 1" round.

I straight away figured something was wrong, and I even think I spoke to Tom about it, but I found a meter and tested what was coming out of that transformer and, as you're no doubt predicting, it wasn't the 12v it said it should be- either just over or just under 16v if I remember rightly. I stopped vaping with it until my normal wall transformer arrived.

Now it could in part be down to my own messy soldering, but at those higher voltages it's getting really hot near that resistor, and in my case hot enough to melt the solder and no doubt release bad fumes into me- accounting for the acrid taint to my initial vapor hits. :uhoh:

There's a reason that the vape is meant to run at 12v. It's safe to do so. But IME getting too far above that might not be. :2c:

Edit: The above said, I don't know with my car adaptor wall transformer what kind of difference it would have been under load, to my measurement with no load. Beyond my electrical learning. Nuvap might?

And beyond Nuvaps experiment, is there any theoretical difference here with our 240v, 50Hz grid that could/would cause 12v in the PD to be less 'hot' than 12v off a 110v 60Hz grid?

WatTyler,

nuvap

85% Sativa / 15% Indica
Yeah, well said, WatTyler. I was not for a second suggesting running a PD at 16v, as I said in my post above I found it scary that the unregulated PSU I have was giving out 15.3v but that is with no load and that type of PSU apparently does scale with load so would be giving a lower voltage once plugged in.

I was very apprehensive of trying the PD with the 13.2v PSU I mentioned above and whilst it does seem to work fine there will probably always be that feeling that I am pushing the PD a little hotter than I should. But that said, if the PD was always going to perform as bad as it did with the regulated 12v I wouldn't be able to use it as my go-to anyway because, as VaporEyeSore found out in his first post above, it doesn't seem to create enough vapor and the herb is seriously under cooked.

Also, this is why I mentioned they were my opinions and not that of Tom.

Edit: I just did a search to see if anyone else had similar results and found a post in the woodeez thread about almost the same thing.

I've found that the unregulated 12v AC runs quite a bit hotter than 12v DC. With a regulated 12v DC power supply, it seems to produce alot less, if any, vapor. At 13.5v DC it seems to run close to the same as the 12v AC. When I first received one of these vapes, I purchased it used from Ebay and it came with a 12v DC power supply. I really didnt like it until I changed it out to a 13.5v DC supply. Then I was turned on to the 12v AC power supply, and think that it runs optimally on that.

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=47384#p47384

nuvap,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I'm thinking there could be a difference in US/UK electricity grids and the effect on the PD.....maybe. Based on this logic; the voltage coming out of either grid is variable within certain tolerances. Assume for hypothesising that a 10% tolerance is accepted (seems v high). That's 11v variation on the US outlet, but 24v variation on the UK outlet. How might that affect the PD?

And there maybe high level of variation in the UK- I supposing this because 'officially' we're now on 230v, in line with the rest of Europe, but in practise nothing has changed at all, even in production, as the ranges of tolerances aren't that different, so I've heard.

So in my theory at least, an unregulated transformer in the UK might be more variable than one on the US grid. But that's just in my world, and I'm most certain that it doesn't work like that. I suppose i should research before blethering.

Regardless of all the electrics, I live in a freezing cold 180 year old drafty stone built farmhouse, and outside is often warmer than in. In the winter it regularly went down to 3-4 C (38F) and below in the house at night in the backrooms (with heating) . My PD wasn't happy at all. So I bought one of the neoprene can holders and I have to say that it made a world of difference. Now I actually leave it on there pretty much all the time. I think they're called can Koozies on here. Get's the WatTyler Full Seal of Approval. :2c:

Edit: Just seen your edit nuvap, and that's a whole other variable the throw into it. I think all mine are DC. Like to hear what the expert electricians have to say.

WatTyler,

low

Just got my PD and it's warming up for the first time :)

First thing I tried is placing the aroma cap on top of the female piece (is the entire thing considered the "clip" in the instructions?) and noticed it is not even and its slightly tilted. Is this normal or is my clip already getting slightly unseated somehow? Assuming this will be easy for me to level with the "tool" (the wooden dowel covering the female piece during shipping) if necessary or just better to leave it be since it will not make a difference?

In any case, this my first time with the PD and first time vaping so wish me luck! :peace:

low,

Nycdeisel

let it warm up for a good while first, and experiment with packing the stem. tap it on your palm to be sure that herb is not falling out, and do this each time before you insert it into the heatport, or the 'female part' as you like to call it. draw slow and steady and get some smooth tasty hits.

Nycdeisel,

VaporEyeSore

Thanks Tyler I will watch for that. Iv turned it down to 14v as it is variable and gona see what it vapes like.

12ac wtf didnt think that would work, be interested to hear more about that.

VaporEyeSore,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
45 minute warm up time and you can leave it on all the time after that. If there's any issue with the "female piece" as I like to call it being tilted Tom will certainly correct it if necessary.
Is the stem tilted slightly as a result of the tilt of the "female piece"?
Make sure your herb is dry and ground for best results.
For drying just leave a bud or two out overnight or on a plate on top of your cable box or any other free heat source like that.
Nothing too hot - just a little warm to help with the drying. Not out in the sun, though.
Sometimes I dry my bud by putting it in shotglass and placing the shotglass on top of a warm PD - that may be too much, though - just overnight on a warm platform
is perfect.
There's a lot of discussion about grinders but one excellent simple solution is a two piece space case - they're about $20 or so if you search around.
That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Let us know how it's working out for you.

jeffp,

Purple-Days

With all other factors held steady, and resistance set Voltage controls heat output.

I have found various "12Volt" transformers (unregulated) to have a wide range of actual Voltage output. Jameco 10081s are very consistent (and on the high side of the range) from one to the next, and I bet Radio Shack transformers (given enough units to test) would be consistent from one to the other. But that doesn't mean they are equal (though the ratings are the same), both putting out the same (not) and I have found (so far) the Radio Shack variables to be (well) under the output of a #10081.

A short explanation of an AC to AC induction transformer... two coils of wire seperated by an insulator... one has 1000 windings, the other side has 100 windings... 10:1 . . . 120V (more like 117) in and 12V out, through induction. That's a very basic. Need 6V ? 1000:50 ... 20:1 . . . 120V in 6V out . . . etc...

Obviously winding ratios are important and any variation would produce a different result. And as stated any variation in input will also directly affect output as you can see. 120V in 12V out (ideally) 110 V in 11V out etc. in an unregulated supply. (regulated supplies, another animal, control output, no matter the input voltage, within it's rated range, ie. 100V-240V in : 12V out). An EU un-regulated transformer of similar design, would have the same ratio consideration, going from 240 (230) to 12 you need 20:1 . . . etc.

Our units operate on AC or DC, doesn't matter (unless you are an electrical engineer and just want to argue...), it's the Voltage that counts. The Jameco.com #10081 that comes with the PD is a 12V AC @1000 mA power supply. Doesn't matter to the PD if that Voltage cycles back and forth (AC) at 60Hz or 50Hz or flows one way only (DC). And it doesn't matter weather the DC current is center pin Positive or Negative, works either way.

Just be sure to use a 1000mA (1Amp) rated supply. I saw something earlier about a 500mA supply... The PD draws 720mA. 500mA is obviously not enough gas to drive the system. 1000mA or higher.

Purple-Days,

nuvap

85% Sativa / 15% Indica
low said:
First thing I tried is placing the aroma cap on top of the female piece
You might want to call that the heat port as it sounds both cooler and less pervy. :lol:

nuvap,

low

Thanks for the advice nyc and jeff! Will experiment with packing while I wait for the initial warmup.

So I guess it is not normal to have the tilted "heatport" ;) I'm sure they will sort it out, I haven't dealt with Tom yet but Pammy has been very helpful and responsive during ordering process even though I discovered she is going through alot right now!

low,

VaporEyeSore

Purple-Days said:
With all other factors held steady, and resistance set Voltage controls heat output.

I have found various "12Volt" transformers (unregulated) to have a wide range of actual Voltage output. Jameco 10081s are very consistent (and on the high side of the range) from one to the next, and I bet Radio Shack transformers (given enough units to test) would be consistent from one to the other. But that doesn't mean they are equal (though the ratings are the same), both putting out the same (not) and I have found (so far) the Radio Shack variables to be (well) under the output of a #10081.

A short explanation of an AC to AC induction transformer... two coils of wire seperated by an insulator... one has 1000 windings, the other side has 100 windings... 10:1 . . . 120V (more like 117) in and 12V out, through induction. That's a very basic. Need 6V ? 1000:50 ... 20:1 . . . 120V in 6V out . . . etc...

Obviously winding ratios are important and any variation would produce a different result. And as stated any variation in input will also directly affect output as you can see. 120V in 12V out (ideally) 110 V in 11V out etc. in an unregulated supply. (regulated supplies, another animal, control output, no matter the input voltage, within it's rated range, ie. 100V-240V in : 12V out). An EU un-regulated transformer of similar design, would have the same ratio consideration, going from 240 (230) to 12 you need 20:1 . . . etc.

Our units operate on AC or DC, doesn't matter (unless you are an electrical engineer and just want to argue...), it's the Voltage that counts. The Jameco.com #10081 that comes with the PD is a 12V AC @1000 mA power supply. Doesn't matter to the PD if that Voltage cycles back and forth (AC) at 60Hz or 50Hz or flows one way only (DC). And it doesn't matter weather the DC current is center pin Positive or Negative, works either way.

Just be sure to use a 1000mA (1Amp) rated supply. I saw something earlier about a 500mA supply... The PD draws 720mA. 500mA is obviously not enough gas to drive the system. 1000mA or higher.
Thanks Tom very interesting and informative.
edit: sry are you saying you use 12ac on your systems and think we should too in UK?

VaporEyeSore,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
low said:
Thanks for the advice nyc and jeff! Will experiment with packing while I wait for the initial warmup.

So I guess it is not normal to have the tilted "heatport" ;) I'm sure they will sort it out, I haven't dealt with Tom yet but Pammy has been very helpful and responsive during ordering process even though I discovered she is going through alot right now!

Don't pack the stem tight - it will block air flow. You can just press it down a little with your fingertip.
If you're worried about bud falling out of the stem take the first hit with the unit upside down so the stem is upright; after the first hit the bud will stick inside the stem so there's nothing to worry about. And if a little falls in it's not a big deal, just shake it out of the unit.

jeffp,

low

Wow, already impressed :)

First draw slow and steady to get it going got lots of vapor, second a little less, third I new it pushing it but still felt like I got something but could taste the difference when its done. Could see the vapor since sun is still out and setting now. -- maybe too much and exhaling too quickly. Will try another soon, just want to test it out, already impressed at how little I needed :cool:

In any case my initial impression from a first time vaper is this is way easier than I thought it was going to be :nod:

low,

Nycdeisel

Congrats on getting decent results the first time. yea dont feel like you need to get humongous hits, take easy hits as not to strain yourself.

jeff gave some much more detailed advice already ;)

most people report about 3-5 good hits from a single stem pack.

Nycdeisel,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Yeah it's ingenious. It continues to impress me in all respects. The whole process becomes second nature very easily. Later on look into getting a bong and this will take your experience to a whole new level. Also save your spent bud in a bottle and use it for edibles. Tons of useful info about all of this on this site.
You should get three or four really good hits per load if you're doing it right.
Drying and grinding and not packing the stem are very important.

jeffp,

Purple-Days

Sorry missed the thing about a tilt, that is not abnormal (none are perfect), the bottom flare that hold everything tight (spring tensioned) is hammered (by me) and can be slightly off of 90 degrees, almost guaranteed slightly off... We use a stainless steel Heat Exchanger... Female Part, Heat Port (sounds as funky), call it what you like, we have always called it a Heat Exchanger as that is what it is and what it does...

Purple-Days,

mainah

Terry Carter
hey everyone,
any update on pammy? is she still recovering? hope she's doing ok. recovery at home always goes a lot better than in the hospital.
i got my confirmation e-mail from pammy back on 3/21 so i should be getting pretty close! i can't wait! i'm getting along ok with my other vapes, but i have a feeling the pd will end up being it.
i've been busy the past month or so but now i'm counting the days. i just caught up here and i'll be waiting!

mainah:brow:

mainah,
Top Bottom