Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Biw

Biw said:
Quick question. I was searching for a new plug on Radio Shack's site and came across this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3932572&retainProdsInSession=1

Would this work with the PD? I found a regular AC adapter on their site but, the car adapter included with the PD seems pretty durable and the cord is much thicker than that of the regular wall adapter.
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I decided though to forego the soldering and take the cowards way out so to speak :p. Went to Radio Shack and pick up a new 12v 1A transformer with a "M" tip and I am glad to say I am back up and running.

Also picked up the cigarette lighter adapter I posted a link to above. Works perfectly. Currently using the vehicle cord provided by Tom with the adapter and it's working as advertised. The vehicle cord is a lot thicker so I'm hoping it'll last longer. When it goes, I still have the regular 12V transformer I bought as a back up.

Thanks guys. Vape on.

Biw,

Biw

Nycdeisel said:
what is an "M" tip?

It's the size tip that you need to fit on the end of Radio Shack's universal transformer. They have a alphabetical system for their tip sizes. M is 2.1mm x 5.5mm.

Biw,

Greeney

Just to report back I had a real fun night... PD hits real well, but it will take a little adjustment to just STOP vaping stems when im at that "enough" stage... Will report back in a few weeks.

Greeney,

LaunchBox420

Quinton
mvapes said:
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about investing in a PD. I've been doing some reading and I would love some info on the unit if anyone could offer. My biggest concern is that I heard that it has like a 30 minute heat up time. Is this true?

yeah 30 mins is about right. Good vape though just leave it plugged in all day.

LaunchBox420,

LaunchBox420

Quinton
I have had my PD about a week now and last night i noticed somthing odd. When i hold my PD Horizontaly upright it make a noise if i tip the top from side to side. it sounds like there is something inside loose or something shaking inside.

Does anyone know if this is serious or if it can be fixed?

LaunchBox420,

Purple-Days

The Purple-Days units are all packaged with a wooden dowel with a hole in one end. It is used to secure the heat exchanger for shipment and to re-seat the retaining clip if you drop the unit and dislodge the clip, just follow the instructions that were wrapped around the unit when it is packaged (so that you couldn't miss them) and the same sheet is re-printed in the booklet. Both describe the cause and solution.

If you have difficulty with a product, or don't understand the included instructions, contact the manufacturer.

Purple-Days,

mlo4sho

I'm so excited, I finally pulled the trigger! Went with the original American Cherry. Can't wait until I finally get it, I'll almost be counting the days! Hah. Thank you all for sharing your experiences and knowledge with me, it definitely had a part in my decision.

mlo4sho,

Choism

Tom, you are the man. Thanks for fixing my walnut pd, that was fast.
I put a thick sock on it to bump the temp, the end result is dark brown, just the way I like it.

Thanks Tom :peace:

Choism,

Purple-Days

That was a fun one to do a little surgery on. You are welcome. Looks just like my shop unit, nicely figured wood.

Side note: I always liked Black Walnut. Used to sit under a big Black Walnut at Grandpa's. We harvested loads of walnuts every year. If you've never husked walnuts, well, it's a mess, and shelling is a barrel of laughs too. But the rewards were great. And the wood from the crotch of that tree made some nice gunstocks after it was hit by lightning. Nearby was a Tulip Poplar I planted from 1st Grade Arbor Day, it's huge now. I like woods ! Started young... :cool:

Back to the thread: I think it was a bad solder joint (from back in the blind days) ... but getting a unit apart is usually destructive to the electronics and I tore these up, so we will never know for sure. Failed resistors are very rare, under normal use, so I think it was just a missed or bad solder joint that finally carbon-ed up.

I think (IMO) a sock or can-coozie is the best temperature bump device known. Been doing it since 2003. A little extra insulation may be just what is needed for some folks, or in cooler conditions, like winter. :)

Purple-Days,

lwien

Purple-Days said:
Side note: I always liked Black Walnut. Used to sit under a big Black Walnut at Grandpa's. We harvested loads of walnuts every year. If you've never husked walnuts, well, it's a mess, and shelling is a barrel of laughs too. But the rewards were great. And the wood from the crotch of that tree made some nice gunstocks after it was hit by lightning. Nearby was a Tulip Poplar I planted from 1st Grade Arbor Day, it's huge now. I like woods ! Started young... :cool:
:lol: Wow, hadn't thought about this in years. Had a macadamia nut tree in our backyard. Have you ever tried to break a fucking macadamia nut?

Next door neighboor had a walnut tree. I remember one of my sons coming into the house crying and said that a black crow dropped a walnut on his head when he was laying down on his back on the grass. Those birds are smart. They take them up about 30 feet and then drop them on the concrete so they break open.
Told my son he just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. :lol:

lwien,

Purple-Days

Maybe the crow thought he had a particularly hard looking head. :lol: :D :peace:

They are pretty smart, you know? Met a man who had a pet, talking Crow in Indiana... long, long ago...

Certain times of the year you didn't sit under that tree, those suckers hurt. :o

Purple-Days,

LaunchBox420

Quinton
yeah black walnut trees are awesome i had a few at my old house. I used to always use them for baseball practice by throwing walnuts at a knott in the tree...ahhhh good times :)

LaunchBox420,

Wolface

My black walnut PD looks so awesome sitting on my desk. very elegant, yet totally stealth with the vapor cup on top. A Volcano, or anything else that looks like a vape just won't look right. Why would I want a big spaceship looking thing sitting there? Just lovin the way this thing delivers vapor. Smooth & tasty. Thanks Tom & Pam.

Wolface,

LaunchBox420

Quinton
i got my walnut Purple days all buzzed buttered and it looks awesome. Its is forsure stealthy and thats just why i love it!

LaunchBox420,

MG23

Relaxin'
lwien said:
If one does not have access to very high quality bud, than in opinion, the PD would not be my first choice.

Why is this? Why would other vapes be better for lower-mid quality bud? I've read this here multiple times and it just makes no sense to me. I recently ordered a PD, haven't used it yet. Just genuinely looking for an answer to this.

MG23,

lwien

MattyGTwenty3 said:
lwien said:
If one does not have access to very high quality bud, than in opinion, the PD would not be my first choice.

Why is this? Why would other vapes be better for lower-mid quality bud? I've read this here multiple times and it just makes no sense to me. I recently ordered a PD, haven't used it yet. Just genuinely looking for an answer to this.

Because with the current quality of bud that I have access to, 3/4 to one stem, sometimes even a bit less, is all I need to get me to where I want to be. If all I had access to was low grade or mids, I'd have to be doing multiple stems and in that case, I think I would prefer a vape that had a larger bowl so I would only have to pack it once. Having to do 3 or 4 stems to get buzzed would just be a bit of a hassle.............for me. Guess I'm really spoiled. :|

For most that have multiple vapes including the PD, the PD ends up being their daily driver, as I. But there are some who use the PD and end up not liking it, and I assume, could be wrong but I don't think so, that either they have a very high tolerance or only have access to mid or low quality bud, both of which force the use of having to do multiple stems per session.

One thing I do have to add though is because the PD forces one to use small, measured doses, it goes a long way to support one who already has a low tolerance and encourages one to lower their tolerance if it's a bit high.

lwien,

MG23

Relaxin'
If that's the case you might want to use a little bit of different wording, or a slight explanation if you don't want to "turn off" potential customers. The reader (like me) may instantly assume this means there are more effective vaporizers for lower grade bud, not that you have to do a little more work. Seeing as I and many others may not have access to medical grade weed, the former sounds -much- worse than the latter, and may scare away a potential customer who misunderstands why you say that.

Just a friendly tip from someone who looked over many many posts (including yours) to decide which vape was right for them before finally purchasing.

MG23,

lwien

Hey.........got a tip for you guys.

I noticed that in one of my stems, the screen was sitting kind of cockeyed, so I ordered a screen replacement kit from Tom. I replaced the screen but did not put in the retaining clip. The screen seems be staying in place without it, but...................WOW !! To me, it seems that the airflow has doubled. Easier draw and a more complete vape and a possible increase in efficiency due to this, if that even seems possible.

Give it a shot and report back. No more stem clips for me.

On a side note, Tom includes a dowel to insert the screens. I highly recommend that you use this as it seats the screen evenly. I tried using a chopstick, and being that it doesn't totally engage the full surface of the screen, it is very hard and next to impossible to get a good seat.

lwien,

rsjrv99

Interesting tip lwien, I'll have to try that if one of my screens ever falls out.

Where could I possibly purchase fragrance oils that would work with this unit? I looked at a few sites, but I just want to be sure I am getting the right stuff. Might as well make full use of this thing while I have it!

rsjrv99,

MG23

Relaxin'
rsjrv99 said:
Interesting tip lwien, I'll have to try that if one of my screens ever falls out.

Where could I possibly purchase fragrance oils that would work with this unit? I looked at a few sites, but I just want to be sure I am getting the right stuff. Might as well make full use of this thing while I have it!

I ordered a couple of oils off of ebay for when mine gets here. :)
Some Nag champa and cucumber melon. :p

Just type in incense oil or fragrance oil and you should be fine.
Ebay should have pretty much any scent you would want, and very good pricing on most of it.

MG23,

hereatlast

lwien, regarding your tip:

I did the same thing (removed the retaining clips) a couple months back and couldn't believe the difference either...until I realized it was doing some damage in my circumstance.

A quick preface: while I have never consulted a medical professional regarding this (aside from quick chit-chat with a nurse friend) I'm pretty sure that I'm unfortunate enough to have some form of allergy to MJ. Fortunately the vapor (and smoke when I combusted) itself is completely welcome in my body, the issue for me is skin contact: grinding or handling herb can often result in a small allergic reaction for me (hives and sneezing fits, well in line with the experience I have with many other pollens). Thankfully my usage is planned around the issue and I don't have to handle herb explicitly often.

In any case after removing the clips I enjoyed the extra air-flow greatly, but I realized quickly that sucking on the stem to fill it or hitting the PD directly (w/o water filtration, something I rarely do now) meant that a lot of small particulate was getting through the stem. Now, having said that I have an allergy or sorts to the product I know the following wouldn't be true for everyone, but when sucking on the stems without retaining clips in place I would get an awful irritation in my throat and lungs (almost an itchiness always accompanied by coughing). Initially I wasn't sure what was happening until I realized that I was also able to feel the particulate (a dusty, grittiness) in my mouth as well.

In either case now I keep one retaining clip in and leave the exterior one out...this seems to solve the issue for me. Also, I refrain from using the 'straw method' to fill up the stem whenever possible and just stab into the grinder/dish/etc. with the stem. Finally, I almost always use a bong/bubbler as it seems a logical (and actually makes a noticeable difference of course) defense barrier between the PD and my airway.

I bet I wouldn't have a problem if I didn't suck on the stems at all but I put one retaining clip back in just to be safer for me. Just my :2c: and experience.

hereatlast,
Top Bottom