Purple Days + tubing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

prk

Hey, got a quick question for all my fellow PD owners out there. (or some of them, at least) I've read in the now-massive PD thread about folks using lengths of tubing to get a longer air path from the vapor tube to their mouth, running the tube through water, etc. However, I don't remember seeing (and it's quite difficult to pick through a 60-something-page-long thread) details about what size and type of tubing people have used.

What type(s) of plastic are best, what sizes, and where can said tubing be purchased? (preferably online)

Thanks for the help, guys.

prk,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
The discussion about silicone tubing starts at post #491 in the PD thread.

hazy,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
After vapor bonging for the last few weeks, I need to run my PD thru water. PRK, I thnk you will find my setup somewehre in that thread, good eye Hazy!

stonemonkey55,

Purple-Days

The tubes are 1/2" outside diameter and are cool to the touch, so any food grade tubing would be suitable. stretchy stuff with a 3/8" diameter works well. Hardware stroe sell a stiff vinyl, probably best to get something close to 1/2" ID as that stuff doesn't stretch much. Wicked Roots sells tubing,I think it's a type of Tygon, that will work (3/8" ID stretchy....)

Purple-Days,

max

Out to lunch
SSV tubing is a good fit. 3/8" ID, 1/2" OD. They also have a great price for 10-20 ft. Even with shipping, I think it's cheaper than US Plastics. If you want silicone tubing, check US Plastics or Vaporstore.com.

max,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
Forgot to mention, Skunkypete's pics in post #1497 of the PD thread might also interest you.

hazy,

prk

Thanks, guys. I'll probably end up ordering some from 7th floor, and may go ahead and get a mouthpiece at the same time. Hoping to purchase an SSV at some point down the line, so I suppose I'll be killing 2 birds with one stone!

prk,

prk

Hennessy1414 said:
prk said:
Thanks, guys. I'll probably end up ordering some from 7th floor, and may go ahead and get a mouthpiece at the same time. Hoping to purchase an SSV at some point down the line, so I suppose I'll be killing 2 birds with one stone!
no!
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pr...=usplastic&category_name=7511&product_id=8456

that shit is very good...much better that the tubing from the 7th floor

:2c:
Alright, what makes it better? I assumed the ones that are sold with the SSV are pretty decent, and if I get one from them I can get a glass mouthpiece that I know will fit the tubing. It is somewhat more expensive, however, at $3.27/foot.

prk,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
it cleans off better(resins/dust) and it (in mu opinion) gives it a better more cleaner taste...somewhat comparable to vaporizing out of glass :2c:

it is worth 'it and you can still get the glass mouth pieces

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

prk

Hennessy1414 said:
it cleans off better(resins/dust) and it (in mu opinion) gives it a better more cleaner taste...somewhat comparable to vaporizing out of glass :2c:

it is worth 'it and you can still get the glass mouth pieces

Word, well, then, good deal! Sounds like it's worth the extra cost then! I'll get on ordering some, tomorrow, and pick myself out a nice glass mouthpiece. I'm excited! Thanks again for all the help, folks! :)

prk,

prk

Hennessy1414 said:
yo but they have a minimum order $$$ amount that you can spend...
Well, it turns out they do, but luckily the minimum is $5. However, the tubing I'd need is only sold in 10-foot intervals, so that's the least I could buy, and it would come out to way more than the cost of tubing from 7th floor + a mouthpiece....

Tom, do you know for sure if the stuff Wicked Roots sells fits? They don't list the ID and OD on their site - I emailed them but haven't gotten a response yet... Same with Vaporstore. Hopefully I'll hear back from one, or both, today so I can make a decision!

prk,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
good luck man^^ i kno that usaplastics is kinda pricey...but well worth it in the long run

but yo why would you want a mouth piece? the PD can only make so much vapors and the least amount of used up space the better for a good vapor/air ratio

Hennessy1414,

prk

Hennessy1414 said:
good luck man^^ i kno that usaplastics is kinda pricey...but well worth it in the long run

but yo why would you want a mouth piece? the PD can only make so much vapors and the least amount of used up space the better for a good vapor/air ratio

I don't doubt the quality of the plastics, but the price and quantity in which I'd have to buy is pretty off-putting. I don't want 10+ feet of tubing, nor do I want to put ~30 bucks into an accessory for a $150 vape...

And as far as a mouthpiece goes, I just figured that hitting straight off the end of a tube would be a bit janky. However, given the prices of them on the 7th floor website and the fact that I have been reminded of their website's lack of updates, I'll probably just get a plain clear glass one. Cheap, effective, and shipped at the same time/from the same place as where I'll likely order tubing.

prk,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
My two cents, just pay the 30 bucks, it'll last you the life of the vaporizer. I'm sure you can find the tubing to be useful for your other vapes as your collection grows

stonemonkey55,

prk

stonemonkey55 said:
My two cents, just pay the 30 bucks, it'll last you the life of the vaporizer. I'm sure you can find the tubing to be useful for your other vapes as your collection grows
It's really that much higher-quality, huh? It just seems like the 7th floor folks would want to use the best stuff they could get, you know?

prk,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
I can't speak on the quality of the tubing that 7th floor provides, I can't seem to remember what I did with mine. Opinions vary on how much better medical, silicone grade tubing is over food grade tubing. I know Max doesn't see signficant difference between the two. I prefer to use medical/silicone because I feel it has less odor/taste than the clear stuff. Its really up to you, but tubing is like toilet paper to me, it's cheap enough where I can afford the premium stuff over the standard issue stuff

stonemonkey55,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Chalk me in as a rigid support of the silicone tubing. I can't stand the other stuff.

As for tubing with the Purple-Days.... occasionally I'll take my VaporWarez tubing and slap it on their for fun, but I don't enjoy those sessions as much.... something about the intimacy and fresh flavor. :)

SpiralArchitect,

Beezleb

Im still using the same tubing that came with my DBV, its very flexible and soft. When I get another wand, I will likely get more tubing from 7th floor.

Beezleb,

max

Out to lunch
prk said:
stonemonkey55 said:
It's really that much higher-quality, huh? It just seems like the 7th floor folks would want to use the best stuff they could get, you know?
Clear, food grade tubing is the standard for the makers of whip units. It's cheaper than silicone and stays cleaner on the outside at least. I bet if 7th Floor or VaporWarez switched to silicone, they'd get complaints. Not to mention it would increase their production costs. There's just not enough demand for silicone. Most people don't know it's better quality and the name of the game is 'if it's not broke, don't fix it'.

max,

prk

Hm, well, thanks for all the input, guys. I have found another source of Tygon tubing, this one significantly cheaper than US Plastics! Apparently Tygon tubing is also desirable for use in CPU cooling setups, given its flexibility, operating temperature range and permeability. Now, I talked to these folks on the phone just a few moments ago and they told me that the tubing they sell is "laboratory grade" and not coated with anything else. I was also told that, essentially, lab grade tubing is higher-quality than food-grade, in that it has a higher and lower range of operating temperatures, and is less permeable (liquid sweats to the outside less.)

And the best part, they sell it in 1-foot increments at $2/foot! What a deal! Can any of you guys fathom a reason why I shouldn't get it from the below link rather than US Plastics?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2290/ex-tub-29/Tygon_38_ID_12_OD_Tubing.html

prk,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Looks like a good price but doesn't look like silicone if that's what you're after.

FWIW :2c:
I've ordered a bunch of tubing from 7th floor (pretty sure it's some form of PVC). TBH, I never really noticed any off flavor and I never heard any complaints from people who used it.

That said, it does have a petrochemical smell to it. Put your nose up to some new stuff and take a whiff. Personally I don't like that smell very much at all (just smelled some and it grossed me out). Ever since smelling it, I've been turned off at the mere thought that taste being imparted to my vapor.

Again, it's food grade and safe for the application, and the smell does weaken after use. Just depends how much of vapor snob you are. Some people won't drink out of plastic cups. :)

vtac,

prk

vtac said:
Looks like a good price but doesn't look like silicone if that's what you're after.
I thought that's what Tygon was...or is Tygon a brand? Mayhaps I'm a bit confused.

EDIT: Ah, I see. A bit more research shows me that Tygon is simply a specific manufacturer. The specific kind Hennessey linked to is #3350, and the variety I linked to above is #3603. Not sure what the difference is between them, the Tygon website is rather vague.

Hm...

prk,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom