Prohibitions only last hope.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I'm bowing into nothing. I am watching real people suffer because of the actions of these selfish pricks. When they cut the defense budget, they are hurting active duty military. They are also hurting Vets, as always, but let's make it worse. These are the people risking their lives to protect everyone, but let's just fuck them over in every way possible. Most people don't even realize that a lot of enlisted personnel make so little money that they need food stamps! They cut that too! Bet you didn't know that!

And, can't even bury you when you come back dead! I'll list a bunch of links to show how this is hurting my family and real people that I know personally. Yes, I am also pissed that the Democrats are allowing this shit to happen, but I hate the fucking Repubs for suggesting it in the first place!

http://www.military.com/daily-news/...roops-retirees.html?comp=7000023467940&rank=1

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013/10/29/nearly-1-million-vets-face-food-stamps-cut.html

http://www.capwiz.com/moaa/issues/alert/?alertid=63026006

http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/12/news/economy/military-pensions-budget/index.html

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/desp...-senate-dems-vow-to-pass-budget-deal-1.257228

http://www.militaryspouse.com/articles/congress-aims-to-throw-military-under-the-bus…again/

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20131209/BENEFITS/312090020/1-pay-raise-2014-appears-likely

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

Last edited:

max

Out to lunch
This thread has gone off topic and into politics. As is, it could go on endlessly with debate and argument.

Forget which political party is more for or against legalization. The topic is prohibition, and like the one on booze instituted in 1920, it doesn't and won't work because far too many people demand a substance to help themselves relax and relieve the stress and strain of everyday life. Forget the medical benefits. That aspect will help speed up acceptance, but even if mj offered no help in that area legalization would still be achieved eventually because of all the drugs available for recreational use (legal or illegal, including alcohol), mj is by far the least harmful. Aside from the smoke aspect, which we know isn't necessary, nobody has proven any harmful physical effects. Forget the value of hemp too. That's just an unfortunate association, although it may have figured into the demonizing of mj in the 30's since hemp could have put a big dent in the profits of products like paper, cotton, etc.

A drug free America (or any country) will never be achieved, because no matter what anyone says, it's not what the majority wants. Most of the people who say they're for it would change their minds immediately if you included alcohol on the list. And a lot of the non drinkers are popping prescription pills of some kind for stress, anxiety, or help with getting to sleep at night. Those who never ingest anything at all to alter the way they feel (head and/or body wise) are in a minority (and some of those would switch sides if given access), and it's nuts to think that everyone is the same and would be happy to be completely drug free.

The U.S. spends billions on the war on drugs and it's clearly losing. It also spends a ton prosecuting and incarcerating drug offenders, while missing out on billions of tax dollars it could be getting from mj alone. I hope we get over this insanity in my lifetime.

lwien

I'm sorry, but I don't believe they are all completely the same. I'm sick of the Republicans and Tea Party politicians thinking it's ok to balance the budget on the backs of the poor, elderly, children, currently enlisted military and Veterans. WTF? Really? What the fuck is wrong with these son's a bitches? Let's not forget they also keep trying to cut Social Security too, which has NOTHING to do with the deficit. They only want to cut it because the fuckers have been stealing our money for decades. Best way for them to not pay us back? Gut the program. And dumbass voters back them on this. Oh yeah, and let's block every god damned thing the black president wants to do, and fuck up the country in the process, gov't shutdown's, etc. Fucking assholes. :rolleyes:

Ok, Vicki, tell us how ya REALLY feel. :dog:

grokit

well-worn member
@max, I think that the US is winning the drug war in that fighting it is highly profitable. We're not supposed to "win" any more than we were supposed to win in vietnam because victory means the end of the gravy train. Besides creating a literal army of jobs, funding the drug war help keep the US on the cutting edge of surveillance and tactical technologies. If we make mj legal, we take away 90% of the justification for that funding. That funding pays washington lobbyists very well, and they want to keep it going at any cost.

basement farmer

My face is melting...
Common sense and consensus generally don't make for very attention grabbing headlines nor do they make for exciting (polarizing) political platforms.

FWIW, I know of liberals whose opinions and world view are just as repugnant as any right wing nut-job. They're relatively rare, but they do exist.

Why people tend to defer to the opinions of others is a mystery to me.

max

Out to lunch
@max, I think that the US is winning the drug war in that fighting it is highly profitable. We're not supposed to "win" any more than we were supposed to win in vietnam because victory means the end of the gravy train. Besides creating a literal army of jobs, funding the drug war help keep the US on the cutting edge of surveillance and tactical technologies. If we make mj legal, we take away 90% of the justification for that funding. That funding pays washington lobbyists very well, and they want to keep it going at any cost.
Even that twisted definition of 'winning' is on the downslope, since public opinion is increasingly against the 'war'. You can't get funding forever for a program that the public is overwhelmingly against. When it comes down to it, politicians, if they want to win elections, must have a platform that voters will support. Support for the war on drugs is slowly crumbling as the older generation ages out of 'being in charge'.

"A new Rasmussen poll finds 82 percent of Americans believe the so-called War on Drugs is failing. This is similar to what Reason-Rupe found in September 2012 when 80 percent of Americans said the War on Drugs has been a failure."

"Americans under 35 are significantly more likely than Americans over 35 to say the US should spend less money fighting the drug war by a margin of 44 to 27 percent." http://reason.com/blog/2013/08/20/poll-82-percent-say-us-losing-war-on-dru

deadheadbill

I can see clearly now the smoke is gone...
If it is going to stay away from politics, I'll wade back in.

I agree mostly @max , Florida just gathered over 700,00 signatures to put MMJ on the 2014 ballot. FLORIDA!!! I you know much about Florida politics and demographics tou would realize how telling that is.

In Fl, though it is not just the younger "kids" who are pushing. A lot of baby boomers are remembering how harmless and fun MJ was when they were younger and also, what a benefit MMJ is when they are getting ill in their older days.

Edit: It helps that John Morgan has put a lot of time and money behind the initiative. Here is a quote from him today.

"He said when his father was dying, he was convinced despite his anti-drug attitude to try marijuana to help ease his suffering. It immediately helped, Morgan said.

“I don’t know why it works, but I know it does,” Morgan said. “He was sitting up eating a pot roast and drinking a Miller Lite. It was miraculous. A different guy. When I’d left him that morning and had that conversation, he was in the fetal position in a hospital bed.”"

Last edited:
deadheadbill,
Reactions: Vicki

lwien

A lot of baby boomers are remembering how harmless and fun MJ was when they were younger and also, what a benefit MMJ is when they are getting ill in their older days.

And some of us baby boomers remember how harmless and fun MJ was and THAT is the reason why many of us are using again, having nothing to do with being ill or old. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :)

deadheadbill

I can see clearly now the smoke is gone...
Yeah dude, no disrespect. That's why I separated the 2 with a comma and a "and also". I'm almost a baby boomer myself. :D.

deadheadbill,

next level

If it is going to stay away from politics, I'll wade back in.

I agree mostly @max , Florida just gathered over 700,00 signatures to put MMJ on the 2014 ballot. FLORIDA!!! I you know much about Florida politics and demographics tou would realize how telling that is.

In Fl, though it is not just the younger "kids" who are pushing. A lot of baby boomers are remembering how harmless and fun MJ was when they were younger and also, what a benefit MMJ is when they are getting ill in their older days.

Edit: It helps that John Morgan has put a lot of time and money behind the initiative. Here is a quote from him today.

"He said when his father was dying, he was convinced despite his anti-drug attitude to try marijuana to help ease his suffering. It immediately helped, Morgan said.

“I don’t know why it works, but I know it does,” Morgan said. “He was sitting up eating a pot roast and drinking a Miller Lite. It was miraculous. A different guy. When I’d left him that morning and had that conversation, he was in the fetal position in a hospital bed.”"

I was going to bring that up. And its not just the kids that are supporting the bill. My Republican Bible thumping grandfather will be voting Yes in Florida. That is if it makes the ballot. Still early.

lwien

Yeah dude, no disrespect. That's why I separated the 2 with a comma and a "and also". I'm almost a baby boomer myself. :D.

(sudden images of Cocoon floating around in my head........lol)

I was going to bring that up. And its not just the kids that are supporting the bill. My Republican Bible thumping grandfather will be voting Yes in Florida. That is if it makes the ballot. Still early.

No turning back now. I really think that I'll see MJ reclassified by the FDA in my lifetime. The momentum is REALLY picking up.

It seems to be make sense that the Republicans should really pick up on this for the next election and support it simply because it could fit very well into their philosophy of states rights trumpeting the federal government while at the same time, garnering the younger voter.

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
What will be interesting is how the republican's biggest traditional support group, the church, reacts to this new ally. Most churches in the US tend to be quite conservative when it comes to mj.

grokit,

Caligula

Maximus
What will be interesting is how the republican's biggest traditional support group, the church, reacts to this new ally. Most churches in the US tend to be quite conservative when it comes to mj.

Traditional support? No, like the Tea Party, the affiliation between the GOP and the Christian right is a relatively new partnership (one which is on the way out IMO) which stemmed from the need to bolster constituency.

Also what data did you use to determine most US churches are against MJ? Last I heard there is a large groundswell of theocratic support regarding the legitimate use of MMJ

Example:

.http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3518933/

Last edited:
Caligula,
Top Bottom