Pretty Awesome - Anti-marijuana New York assemblyman busted for weed possession

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Source: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/...-york-assemblyman-busted-for-weed-possession/

By David Edwards
Friday, March 15, 2013 13:03 EDT

A Republican lawmaker in New York who has a record of voting against medical marijuana legalization has been arrested and charged with possession of marijuana.

State police said that a suspicious odor was noticed in Assemblyman Steve Katz’s vehicle when they pulled him over for driving around 80 mph in a 75 mph zone at around 10 a.m. Thursday morning.

“After noting the odor of marijuana, a New York State Trooper found Katz in possession of a small bag of marijuana,” a statement from state police said, according to the Times Union.

Katz was given an appearance ticket for having less than 25 grams and is scheduled to appear in Coeymans Town Court on March 8. He also faces charges for speeding.

Last year, the assemblyman voted against a bill that would have legalized medical marijuana in New York.

Katz’ office said that he was expected to release a statement later on Friday.

------------------------------------------

This is pretty funny. Hopefully this will help change laws in NY.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I used the assemblyman's contact page and sent him a little e-mail:
You lying hypocrite. I hope you get the book thrown at you by the judge and the court of public opinion. You sir are the WORST of the worst. Its assholes like you, telling other people how to live, and then exempting yourself from your own rules, that ruins life for so many. How dare you openly work against the progress of legitimate medical cannabis, like I need to live, to just get busted using recreationaly.

YOU SIR ARE A DUPLICITOUS, HYPOCRITICAL, PIECE OF SHIT.

I feel better :)

Fuckin' A t-dub!
There is nothing worse than a hypocrite,period. They all have a certain stink about them,you know that stink right? Jesus.
Good job calling him out man, I wish I could see the assholes face when he reads your message.:lol:
The fucked up thing is that your message is the most honest thing he's read in years. We need more of this...more telling the politicians how WE THE PEOPLE feel. Whenever these pigfuckers screw up we need to crucify them...they sure as hell do it to us.
Good work t-dub,keep the swine on there toes!!

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey

Wow... :\
That's way harsh...

Do you have any info other than this article to base that on?

Cuz unless this dude was running around actively trying to demonise and restrict MJ, I'd say that wasn't warranted...

What "record of voting against medical marijuana legalization" does he have other than voting down 1 bill?

If I was an assemblyman (full disclosure, I'm not 100% sure what an assemblyman is in American politics, but I think I'm getting the gist of it from context), and there was a MMJ bill that was absolutely not gonna pass, I'd probably vote no on it too :shrug:.
There's more to politics than just MMJ, why out myself to potential political ramifications for no real gain?

:2c::peace:

dorkus_molorkus

WTF?? Harsh Fred?? really?

He is actively voting to deny sick people medicine. Casting his vote to deny others, yet finds his own recreational use ok. Just not for any one else tho obviously.

This piece of shit is as bad as the people who want MJ kept illegal cause they make $$$$ out of it.

What about standing up and being counted?
Except its more like porous morals then? He will only stand up for what he believes in if he has a chance of winning.

Those are my principles,and if you don't like them...
well, I have others- Groucho Marx

Fuck him, IIRC- New York has some very harsh cannabis laws. I bet you this fucking POS will probably shed some tears and apologise to all those he has let down. But with the lords help he will turn his life around blah-fucking blah, evil weed led me astray boo-fucking-hoo.

I bet he will continue to vote against MMJ, But now he will have to do it with a bit more zeal.
Cuz MJ nearly ruined his life. Just watch.

im sick to death of politicians declaring their support of MMJ etc AFTER they have left office & cant actually do anything about it. Yet while they were in office they did everything possible to keep prohibition rolling along.

As bad as a priest who turns a blind eye to anothers abuse of children because he is afraid of the ramifications. Fuck those who have to suffer the abuse, what about the good name of the church?

But heaven forbid that any of the 1.2 billion catholics out there are gay. Cause if thats the case then either of the priests outlined above will tell them that their immortal soul is in danger and that Hell is where they are going.

You either have principals or you fucking dont. I dont turn mine on or off as required.
Just as well i dont want to go into politics then.

Its full of hypocrites.

@fred- if you wanna correct my gramma, you gotta fight my grandad 1st. :D

@ T-Dub- :rockon:

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I'm just saying based on the data of 1 vote, I wouldn't be so quick to send such a hateful message.
If you have to frame it negatively as porus morals so be it, I'm thinking more along the lines of not cutting off your nose to spite your face...
Do I dislike the hypocrisy? Very much so, but it isn't coming off as malevolent to me as it seems to be to you.
:shrug:

dorkus_molorkus

Do we know its based on one vote fred? or have we both made an assumption of one vote or multiples?

Either way, there are times when passion regarding an issue is required and others where a cool head and cold logic is necessary.

Both have their place in the world as do the owners of these differing approaches.

I def see your point Fred & I appreciate your point of view.
Even though I dont agree with you, I accept it is possibly much closer to the reality.

Prohibition destroys lives. Period.
So, when I see hypocrites like this bloke....................................
It just makes my blood boil.

When the revolution comes,
it will be men like you, stopping men like me, from putting cocksuckers like him against the wall. :tup:
Now thats harsh!

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I don't know if its only 1 vote, but that's all the info provided by the article.
That's why I asked if there was any info outside of the article that t-dub was using to base his e-mail on.
I would assume that the article would've gone into more depth on his anti-cannabis actions if there were more, but I just don't know enough about the dude or his history...

Hypothetically, say it was just 1 vote, and he voted in favour of MMJ, but it didn't pass anyway.
This thread would be about another brother who's been struck down by the evils of prohibition.

Hell, the fact that "conscience vote" is a term in politics here proves that it isn't always as simple as voting how you want.
Sometimes you simply have to vote along party lines, or you are either gonna lose your position, or your ability to do work in other areas...

Btw, I'm sure you didn't mean for it to come off that way, but I'm struggling to see how anything this guy did was in any way in the same league as the sickening levels of institutionalised peadophelia that seems to have gone rampant in the Catholic Church for years...
I get that MJ is a medicine for many people, often times the best medicine, but dude...

Frederick McGuire,

dorkus_molorkus

An extreme example of hypocrisy, but none the less i feel an apt one.

Both the church & politicians/ govts are pretty fond of telling us how to live our lives, with great zeal I might add.
At times throughout history putting those who disagree to death, in prison, and stripping them of their assets. Yet, when those same peoples feel that they are able to do themselves what they punish others for.

So, from subjecting a poor child (or anyone) to sexual abuse in secret then proceeding to tell any homosexuals in ear shot that they are going to burn in hell.

To voting to keep MMJ illegal and any who use it criminalised. Including possible incarceration, stripping of assets, and all of lifes pitfalls that arise from a criminal record, then blowing a doobie when it suits you.

As i said NY has some very harsh cannabis laws. His conscience (or lack of it) puts sick people in gaol, and yet the law he has voted for doesnt apply to him?

I certainly do not want to diminish the suffering endured by those abused at the hands of the church by saying that getting nicked for smoking a joint is the same thing.

None the less, I do wish to highlight that the hypocrisy of both can be counted in lives/ futures ruined of those who do not deserve to have their lives ruined.

Both scumbags, one WILL burn in HELL, the other will have no friends & get nasty emails from sick people who have to skulk around like criminals in order to get their medicine.

I hear what you are saying in regards to politics. It sucks big time.

If he didnt want to be scrutinised, then perhaps he shouldnt have gone into politics.
If he didnt want nasty emails from sick people then perhaps he shouldnt have been a hypocritical scumbag.

:peace:

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
steve katz released his statement yesterday.. i guess...

Update: Mr. Katz released a statement this afternoon acknowledging the situation.
“In light of the unfortunate incident that occurred, I am compelled to address it briefly. First, I will not let this incident impede my public service and my calls for real mandate relief, a better economic climate and better services for those in need in New York,” said Mr. Katz. “This should not overshadow the work I have done over the years for the public and my constituency. I am confident that once the facts are presented that this will quickly be put to rest.”

1_gr8_underdog

Trapped in the Astral Planes Back from the dead
[nydailynews said:
Katz — a veterinarian, from Putnam County — has had his own controversies. He has been arrested two times on charges related to his veterinarian practice, including the illegal dumping of the body of a dead dog
He was never convicted.:rant: WTF!?

[NYDAILYNEWS said:
Brooklyn Sen. Martin Golden, a fellow Republican, called it “hypocritical” for Katz to have voted against pot legislation and then get charged with possession.
[GOLDEN said:
"Be true to yourself,” who himself sees pot as a gateway drug. “If you like marijuana and smoke marijuana, at least vote for it."
As I'm looking into this guy , I only keep finding more to show how bad a person he truly is.
So far I've found:
sexual harassment hush money (over $100,000), abusive/callous behavior towards the sick, homosexuals,and small animals. Shady business ethics:disgust:

I agree with Golden, not with the gateway part but the rest of it. And the many of you who say the same.

source for the first part @ http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...ed-pot-charge-article-1.1289841#ixzz2Nlp5YEZa Other bad stuff http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/hudson_valley_republican_assemblyman_3U8AjNcRMeL3NkxnKBdmjN

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
If he didnt want to be scrutinised, then perhaps he shouldnt have gone into politics.
If he didnt want nasty emails from sick people then perhaps he shouldnt have been a hypocritical scumbag.
Amen brother, he made his choices. With liberty comes responsibility, there is no free lunch. Equal opportunity is the only guarantee, not equal outcomes. The founders assumed a moral population would be installed and functioning for the republic, and liberty, to thrive. Greed is capitalism without a conscience. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Equal justice under law, no longer available today, is also a requirement. If we don't speak out then we get the government we deserve. This is the type of corruption that rots liberty from the core.

budbudbud

steve katz released his statement yesterday.. i guess...

Update: Mr. Katz released a statement this afternoon acknowledging the situation.
“In light of the unfortunate incident that occurred, I am compelled to address it briefly. First, I will not let this incident impede my public service and my calls for real mandate relief, a better economic climate and better services for those in need in New York,” said Mr. Katz. “This should not overshadow the work I have done over the years for the public and my constituency. I am confident that once the facts are presented that this will quickly be put to rest.”
Very brief indeed... He's probably embarrassed someone found his bag of schwag.

Itss a good thing we are able to debate/discuss things like these in a friendly environment. (Thanks FC)!
I have friends who's life's have been ruined and families displaced for less than that prick was caught with.
I understand we are a nation of laws,and I know the penalty if i get caught. Marijuana laws are fucked up but they are the law.
BUT the penalties are not enforced equally. We all know the rules,and you have to pay to play.
IMHO,those in Govt. should be held to the same standard as the rest of us.
Someday the hypocrites will need us to to keep their jobs. They will ask us for our votes.
AND WE WILL SAY "NO".

OO

Technical Skeptical
Just as devils advocate, I would like to say that just because someone uses something recreationally does not mean that they agree with it's medical relevance.

I don't think he has ever stated he was using it medically either.

OO,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Wow... :\
That's way harsh...

Do you have any info other than this article to base that on?

Cuz unless this dude was running around actively trying to demonise and restrict MJ, I'd say that wasn't warranted...

What "record of voting against medical marijuana legalization" does he have other than voting down 1 bill?

If I was an assemblyman (full disclosure, I'm not 100% sure what an assemblyman is in American politics, but I think I'm getting the gist of it from context), and there was a MMJ bill that was absolutely not gonna pass, I'd probably vote no on it too :shrug:.
There's more to politics than just MMJ, why out myself to potential political ramifications for no real gain?

:2c::peace:

I disagree. t-dub has every right to be upset about just that single vote. He expressed himself pretty strongly but I didn't see anywhere in his email that mentions a voting record. He does explain exactly why he is outraged, which is the single vote against MMJ. I don't see why he needs to see a track record before he gets upset.

By the way, many of the stories covering this mention Katz's anti-drug campaigning.

An assemblyman is elected to the State Assembly. US states have two houses, the Assembly and the Senate.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
An outspoken state assemblyman who serves on the chamber's Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Committee — and voted against medical marijuana — has been busted for possessing pot, state police said Friday.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/n-y-assemblyman-katz-busted-pot-charge-article-1.1289841

New York Republican Assemblyman Steve Katz is a fucking hypocrite. Last year, the lawmaker - who is on the Assembly Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Committee - voted against medical marijuana in the state, saying that it would only increase illegal drug use.

This is a guy who just last year sent a mailer to voters Yorktown with this crap: "Our community has been stricken with an increase in drug use and drunk driving by our youngest citizens."
http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2013/0...t_medical_marijuana_busted_with_marijuana.php

OO

Technical Skeptical
Use is not necessarily abuse.
But it does appear that this guy has mounting evidence against his character.

OO,
Top Bottom