Possible health issue with Magic-Flight Launch Box...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brooklynboro

Hey, I'm new to the forum. For about 6 months, I've owned a Volcano, decided I was going to cut down and then sold it. I ended up going back to smoking for a few months, until i started to feel gross and had begun to miss my vape. So I recently decided to go with a more portable option so I went ahead and bought a Magic Flight Launch Box.

At first glance I was amazed with the sheer size of the thing. So I charged up the batteries and went ahead and soon was enjoying my flight ;)
Now taking a more detailed second look at the unit, I discovered some interesting and controversial issues.
I've included a rendering of the unit for better understanding. If you take a look at the unit there are clearly 2 chambers: One for the herbs, and the second is to hold the battery. Now in between the chambers is a wall of wood which contains 2 drill openings (labeled A and B). These holes are partially plugged up with copper wire. Finally there is a corresponding hole on the outer wall of the unit that is lined up with opening A and was caused by the same drilling.
Now here's the issue: As you may or may not know NiMH batteries use a venting system, where a vent is located at the + side of the battery in order to release any accumulated gases, in the event of overcharging or an electrical short. Well, couldn't it be possible that in the event that the battery is/has vented, for it's gases to migrate from the battery chamber through the holes, and into the herb chamber, upon suction?
Again the copper wire does partially plug up the orifices although not completely, and under a small test I went ahead and pulled some air out of the unit, with my finger sitting in the battery chamber and felt the suction through the holes.

I don't want to sound all paranoid but this seems like a hazardous situation no matter how small , especially under prolonged use. Given: the batteries only vent while overheated and usually while charging, what about the accumulated 'hazardous dust' particles resting at the top of the battery from a previous battery venting.
The only safeguard that I truly see here is the coincidental outer drill hole and the battery opening which may both act as air vents, although I am not even sure if it would be effective. Air flowing inward doesn't remove the gas and other material.
I'm all for health first, ad that is why I chose to vape, though this seems like an issue to be discussed. I appreciate your time.

Modnote: Here is the manufacturer's response.

Hi Brooklynboro,

Actually, this has been addressed. For your reference, there is some
discussion of these topics in the following two threads:
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=59306
http://www.reddit.com/r/trees/comments/cblab/i_work_for_magicflight_amaa/

Also, for your convenience, I have summarized the findings as follows:

- 1) It is important to distinguish between the events of charging the
battery and discharging the battery. With improper charging (ie, a
cheap or malfunctioning battery charger) the battery can be made to
vent (its not common, but it is possible). However, venting does not
happen during discharging. The box only uses the battery in discharge
mode. Therefore, there is no risk.

- 2) Assuming that somehow the battery did vent, in considering risk
it is also worthwhile to consider what kind of gasses are involved and
how much might be generated. From the chemistry the gas would only be
H2 (hydrogen) and quantity is tiny (a few cm at most). Both the kind
and the amount are biologically harmless. Again, no risk. For people
who work with batteries in general, these points are considered to be
common knowledge.

- 3) The hole in the back of the unit is a construction hole. It
connects to the battery compartment but does not extend through to the
vapor chamber. As such, it does not provide any form of direct
coupling between the battery compartment and the vapor chamber. To
ensure that there could be no doubt of this, the seal on the connector
rod has even been tested to 5 PSI. Therefore, even if the battery did
vent (see 1 and 2 above) it would not be available for inhalation, but
would go instead in the opposite direction away from the user. Again,
no risk.

In sum, the chances of this being any sort of issue are effectively zero.

brooklynboro,

brooklynboro

I'm not really addressing the issue of whether or not the hole on the back serves an intentional purpose, I'm questioning whether there is a heath risk while in use and whether other people agree or not. I don't think that this was addressed yet. Maybe with someone with knowledge on drafts and ventilation...

brooklynboro,

scottydo42

This is funny i was just about to post a thread about health issues with the LB. I am too concerned with this and also the copper solder that heats up which your inhaling and from my understanding; solder is toxic as hell. Also isn't the packing area for the herb unhealthy to inhale from when heated up too?

scottydo42,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Welcome to the forum, Brooklyn!

Your concern is one I never thought of and, if batteries do what you say, should be considered. The best place for you to post this is in the LaunchBox thread. I'd be surprised if MajicFlight doesn't quickly address it, and I've never seen them post outside their own thread. I am going to move this thread to the ABV section and from there you can copy and repost in the other thread. I'll be looking forward to their response.

stickstones,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom