Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Thanks for replying griff. I don't want to take this thread too off topic so I will send you a personal message.

I have run about three sessions with the Plenty. I really like it so far. It produces better clouds then some of the previous devices I own/tried. I like holding it up to the water pipe and drawing it through the water pipe. I want to make an adapter. Right now I am just using my hands to make a tight seal around both.

Slightly Medicated,

drumwizard

Account Closed
I haven't seen any posts in this thread in a while (long time FC reader but only recently joined as a member). To all PLENTY owners: How is it holding up for you? Is it hard to clean? Any problems or issues? Do you think it's worth $350? The Volcano Digit I've owned since it came on the market and to this day I'm still amazed at the quality and ease of use...in my opinion it was worth every penny. I decided to wait until the PLENTY has been on the market for at least a year until I consider picking one up. I want to read more pros/cons before I make a final decision on this one. Any feedback is appreciated.

drumwizard,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Not is is not worth the money. I like parts of it but I can get a better vaporizer for less. The cleaning is easy. The only way I like to use it is hooked up to my water pipe. Otherwise it is to harsh. Cleaning is easy. I like certain parts of the product. There are just some things that drag it down.

I don't hold it by the handle much so I am constantly forgetting to hit the power so it ends up cooling down all the time.

Cleaning is not to bad. I have not cleaned the metal hose yet though.

I think it should cost about $250 that is pretty much where the value is. The extra $100 does not seem worth the quality or end result.

The ABV comes out more consistent then other vaporizers. It can hold allot though. Unfortunately, I feel like I can use less in the Vriptech Vapor Heat Wand and it gets me more medicated.

Hope that helps.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: zmurder

drumwizard

Account Closed
Not is is not worth the money. I like parts of it but I can get a better vaporizer for less. The cleaning is easy. The only way I like to use it is hooked up to my water pipe. Otherwise it is to harsh. Cleaning is easy. I like certain parts of the product. There are just some things that drag it down.

I don't hold it by the handle much so I am constantly forgetting to hit the power so it ends up cooling down all the time.

Cleaning is not to bad. I have not cleaned the metal hose yet though.

I think it should cost about $250 that is pretty much where the value is. The extra $100 does not seem worth the quality or end result.

The ABV comes out more consistent then other vaporizers. It can hold allot though. Unfortunately, I feel like I can use less in the Vriptech Vapor Heat Wand and it gets me more medicated.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply. I like how you just need the unit and your product as opposed to needing the big Volcano, the product, the bags, and the fill chamber. I'm curious to know how good the cooling coil works because I've read that it allows you to get more flavor from your product. I also read about how you need more product to fill the chamber but that can be offset by using the liquid pad with less product. Oh and at least I know it's easy to clean! :lol:

drumwizard,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
The liquid pad can be used to keep the product from sliding when you load a smaller chamber. I just find when I don't load it full I don't get overly medicated. I don't know why but it takes much more material per session to get me medicated to the point I like. I mean like .5 of a gram in the plenty versus .25 in the VripTech Heat Wand.

It is nicer then the volcano in the terms that you don't need the bags. I don't like bag vaporizers much at all.

The cooling coil is okay. I don't think it does much more then the same length of silicone tube. I think it is mostly marketing.

When I first got it I though it was a pretty good vaporizer. I still think it is a good vaporizer. I just don't use it as much as I do others.

If it was $250 I would have no hesitation recommending it. It is just that extra $100 that makes it hard to swallow some of the drawbacks.

Slightly Medicated,

Greenscreen

The only way I like to use it is hooked up to my water pipe. Otherwise it is to harsh.

I find it really interesting you say that because the guy from storz and bickel was speaking on dopefiends podcast and i got the gist from what he was saying that one of the main pros of this vaporizer was that you wouldn't be needing water filtration at all as the steel coil does such a good job of cooling the vapor.... as you said maybe just marketing

Its a game of opinions and that's why i love FC.. What temp do you find yourself using mainly SM? Which do you use more your UD's or the plenty??

Greenscreen,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
When I use the plenty I have to crank it up to max which is 7. I find that is the only way to get the amount of vapor per hit I like. I use my Underdogs way more then the plenty. I also use the VripTech Heat Wand way more then the plenty. I actually only use the plenty when I want to use allot of herb at once. It can hold more then other devices.

I don't know I personally thought that the whip was harsh. When I use the whip I turned it down to about 5 or so. I still found that it was hot and dry on the throat. I think the metal whip helps some but I don't think it makes that much of a difference. I trust the S&B brand so that is one big plus. They usually have good quality products that last a long time.

I still can't quite put my finger on what it is about the plenty that leaves me wanting more.

Slightly Medicated,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Ironic that a product called "Plenty" leaves you wanting more. Maybe S&B will come out with a model called "The waaaay-too-fucking-much" soon that will satisfy better. :smug:

:peace:

I know I could not help but think about the irony of the name. I want to like it more. I think I would if the price was about $250. I don't dislike it... I just feel kind of indifferent about it. It is strange when you neither like nor dislike a product. It does some thing well. On the other hand it could stand to have some improvements.

Slightly Medicated,

Greenscreen

I think the metal whip helps some but I don't think it makes that much of a difference. I trust the S&B brand so that is one big plus

I know most think S&B are over priced for what they offer but i can't help but have a soft spot for their vape's despite the price..

Greenscreen,

drumwizard

Account Closed
I have to agree that it seems a little over priced for what it does. It doesn't seem much different than other direct draw or whip based vapes except for the coil. It feels like the last $100 of the $350 is for the brand name instead of the product itself.

I still feel the Volcano is justified in price because they're built like tanks, produce quality vapor, and are very easy to use. The Volcano is the best bag vape on the market in my opinion. The Plenty is about $200-$300 less than the Volcano but it's doesn't seem to have the same power in the market since it's in the direct draw category. The direct draw/whip market has more quality vaporizers in it than the bag vapes which is why I think the Plenty isn't AS appealing as the Volcano.

If there was a price drop down to about $250 as has been stated here before, I think I'd be more inclined to buy one sooner. It's still a Storz & Bickel product so you know the quality has to be top notch but to each their own.

drumwizard,

max

Out to lunch
griff9 said:
I find it really interesting you say that because the guy from storz and bickel was speaking on dopefiends podcast and i got the gist from what he was saying that one of the main pros of this vaporizer was that you wouldn't be needing water filtration at all as the steel coil does such a good job of cooling the vapor....
Pretty good trick to determine that it does a good enough cooling job to satisfy every single person in the world that would ever want to vaporize. He must be a rep from the S&B Bullshit Dept. And what about filtering particulates?

A lot of Volcano fans will gravitate to this vape, and it may appeal to some non 'cano fans as well, but if you do enough research I think most will find cheaper options that will perform just as well. And to me, this model will always look like something that belongs in my garage.

max,

turk

turk
Pretty good trick to determine that it does a good enough cooling job to satisfy every single person in the world that would ever want to vaporize. He must be a rep from the S&B Bullshit Dept. And what about filtering particulates?

A lot of Volcano fans will gravitate to this vape, and it may appeal to some non 'cano fans as well, but if you do enough research I think most will find cheaper options that will perform just as well. And to me, this model will always look like something that belongs in my garage.
...that wouldn't ruin it for me...if it was cheaper...or had portability....o

turk,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
how does one clean the vapor condensation out of the metal tube, with that irregular surface?

Hippie Dickie,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
how does one clean the vapor condensation out of the metal tube, with that irregular surface?

Salt, and ISO work for me. I use pipe cleaners near the end that is towards the bowl wet with some ISO. It tends to get dirty nearer the bowl then the mouth piece.

Slightly Medicated,

Greenscreen

If you listen to the podcast I don't think you would say he's from the bullshit department (he came across well).. He said he designed the plenty so that no water filtration would be needed and he feels they have more than achieved this.. He also said how S&B have always designed their vapes to get the best end results and that size / shape / design style come second... he said this is how the plenty ended up looking like a power tool..

I see your point, obviously he's trying to sell as many of them as possible.. but i don't think S&B have got this far by lying to their customers (they're at fault for overpricing but not lying in my opinion)..

Note i wasn't questioning SM's use of water filtration, I'm a fan of it myself, i just stated that it suprised me :shrug: ... Maybe the fact SM uses it on the highest temp makes a difference i don't know...

I have no doubt there are cheaper whip vapes available that also do the job well, but its exactly like drumwizard said your paying for the brand.. your either alright with that or your not, personally i am (otherwise i wouldn't have changed from an EQ to a Volcano classic) but your obviously not :p

Here's a link to the podcast in case you want to hear the info from the horses mouth, I can't remember where in the podcast he speaks to the man exactly because i haven't listened to it in a long time, but i have a suspicion its somewhere near the end...

http://hw.libsyn.com/p/6/6/4/6647d5...38165643&hwt=78203d8ac2da64186f37debdc9901249

Greenscreen,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I tend to turn it down to the lower part of the green zone on the temperature dial if I was going to direct draw through the hose. It is still kind of harsh though. more so then say an EpicVape or Underdog. I turn it up to the highest temp to get thicker clouds through the water-pipe. Still though they are not up to my standards.

I think the Plenty has a place in the market. I really see it is a vaporizer like the Volcano that works well in smoke lounge type environments. It is pretty easy to use, reliable, easy to clean, and replace parts. It does not take much technique to use. I could see coffee shops using this and the volcano as the two options for people to use while in the shop. Simply tell the customer how to load it up and what temp to start at and they should be good to go. If they break parts like the bowl and such they can be easily replaced. If I was a coffee shop owner I would pick the plenty as the whip vaporizer to let customers use at my shop.

When it comes to home use though. I just think there are better options for less. I have found that other vaporizers I am currently using outperform the Plenty.

Slightly Medicated,

Greenscreen

Fair enough SM. It seems it's as you and max said, just a good piece of marketing - I don't own one so can't say much really.. (I was very tempted to buy one at some point, but you two have me thinking i may have dodged a bullet here (an expensive bullet at that) - so i guess all i can say is thanks!

Greenscreen,

philosopher

Long time lurker, first time poster - this is the first time I've had anything to say. I'm actually pretty impressed with the Plenty, moreso than any of the other 5 (6?) vaporizers that I've owned/had extensive experience with.

Much of what I like has already been said, so I'll spare the details on those points - it produces an incredible amount of vapor per hit, and has a massive bowl size, both pluses in my book. I like the design for a home vape more than the tower-like models (SSV-like) because I hate passing a hose around with a small group - bowls tend to slide out and spill everywhere, and hoses don't reach far enough in my experience.

But there are a few things that I personally like about the Plenty that I don't think have been addressed that much in this thread.

I have to disagree with posters here about the steel coil. I think that it does a much better job of cooling off the vapor than silicone tubing, especially foot per foot - I dunno how anyone could think ~2.5 feet of silicone tubing will cool anything effectively. It definitely does not cool the vapor as well as water filtration, and the vapor a little bit warm, but it's the coolest of any vape I've tried that lacked water cooling. One strong sign to me that the vapor is being cooled, aside from subjective taste, is that the steel coil gets pretty damn hot, and when you pull directly from the vape without the coil (you can use silicone tubing instead of the coil if you prefer, this is how I vape in a car) the vapor is much, much hotter.

As far as vapor quality goes, I think it is as good as any vape. I honestly think sometimes with my friends that they think the vapor quality isn't as good because there isn't glass in the vapor path, and that this is causing them to be biased when evaluating the Plenty. I guess I'm not a connoisseur of vapor quality/can't really tell the difference at subtle levels, but I really think that the vapor quality is at least average. One thing I've always liked about the volcano, and now the plenty, is that the design prevents you from overheating to the point of combustion. I've gotten some damn brown abv with the Plenty, but it never burns, a huge plus in my book.

I also think that the harsh vapor is a byproduct of using the vaporizer incorrectly. I have found that if I turn the vape up to 6 or 7 from the beginning, the vapor is too thick and too harsh. However, at 5, I can barely taste anything at all, and yet I can blow out lots of thick, visible vapor. Once the hits start to thin out, only then do I raise the temp to 6, and repeat until 7. I've found this method to be the best compromise between smoothness and thickness.

Which leads me to my biggest problem with the Plenty - it's a quirky piece. When used correctly, I've found it to be excellent. However, you have to hit it a specific way, and it's not intuitive especially for my friends who don't have as much experience with it as I do. For one, the draw has a lot more resistance than other vapes, so instead of focusing on slow, dense hits as with the Launch Box, SSV, or similar vape, you have to hit it a little faster to get all of the vapor. You also have to wait and hit the vape at the proper temperature, which is a hassle since it varies so much.

Anyway, this post has rambled on for long enough. The Plenty definitely has a number of flaws, but reading the comments here I think it's gotten a bad rap for what it is. It may not be as efficient as other vapes, but it's pretty damn close (and for people that don't think it's efficient - have you been using the liquid pad?). The taste might not be as pure as an all-glass path, but it's pretty damn close. However, most vapes don't even come close to how much vapor this puts out/how much of an effect I feel after this vape vs. any others, and I don't think any vape on the market is as sturdy. Hopefully some of this is helpful for people who aren't liking the Plenty - maybe try hitting it differently? As always YMMV, and opinions are subjective, but the criticisms that it has received just don't match my experience with the device.

elmomuzz

That just happened...
Everyone that has tried mine loves it. It gives huge hits which satisfies smokers. I am really surprised at the chilly reception it has gotten. I would also say its built like a tank. It might look like a power tool but they are built durable and so is the plenty.

elmomuzz,

Raf007

Retailer
Only 8 pages since december says it all imHo.
Everyone that has tried my SSV or LSV loves them with huge hits too. As you said philosopher all that is subjectiv, and it seems a lot of people in the market share the same subjectiv pov.
But yes, for certain use this vape could have a place...indeed in a shop it could help convert people to vaping in an efficient way while being sturdy and all...but seriously a mighty SSV can do the same and more without percolating your herbs that fast. The only thing I would keep from this entry on the market is the whip that cools down the vapor really well, easy to clean, and it doesn't affect the taste.

@Hippie D.
You just iso and hot water it. Fast, easy and efficient.

Raf007,
Reactions: satyrday
Top Bottom