Discontinued Pinnacle Pro

Grim Chiclets

I stopped using cotton on the top of the bullet:
I now use a domed screen on top.
The domed metal screen ensures that the only contact of the MP's or the Pong's screen touches the domed screen and can no way touch the bullet.

Old set up:

--------- < metal screen
\*****/ < thin layer of cotton
|bkbkb|
|kbkbk|
|bkbkb| <bud kief mix
|kbkbk|
|bkbkb|
|kbkbk|
\bbbbb/ <bud only so no kief sticks to bullet screen

New set up:

. _ _ _
/bkbkb\< domed metal screen
\kbkbk/
|bkbkb|
|kbkbk|
|bkbkb| <bud kief mix
|kbkbk|
|bkbkb|
|kbkbk|
IMG_20140211_092710931_HDR1.jpg

So you compress the screen downwards in the middle? (as oriented in this pic)

herbivore21

I haven't had any kind of plastic failure, and unlike most FC'ers, I actually don't use cotton? Have many of you had the actual plastic melt on your mouthpieces/tips? I mean the thing sticks on reaaaaaaaally good whenever I use it [I really don't use the little tip thingy]- but that's all from reclaim/resin buildup in mine.. closest thing to melting I've seen is the actual lip around the screen, it's like- slightly warped
Maybe it's due to mine usually being used upside down in glass? I do know a lot of you use the PonG exclusively though which may lend to the problem as well..

Needless to say- a solution to this problem would greatly interest me :2c:
Grim Chiclets: The slightly warped lip around the screen is the same on my brand new PonG I received 6 hours ago. it has not melted since I haven't exceeded heat 3 and only used it upright. My first PonG was falling to pieces around the lip at the screen within 2 days when used at 4 with the FMJ (which I have never used again, flower bullet is seriously better with oils so long as it is packed properly!).

I plan to create a GonG adapter made with a 14.5mm borosilicate glass adapter to 12mm glass stem, tailored to sit on top of the chamber at the same height as the PonG stem does. It will arrive in a couple of weeks or slightly sooner, I am thinking of posting a video or picture guide on how to modify a PonG to use the glass mouthpiece instead of the plastic - I'll supply details with the video/pics for the GonG, where to order it from the glassblower (also in this thread) as well as the dimensions to request. This will provide an all glass path using the PonG outside mould to connect firmly to the PNP :-)

I'll post results in this thread ASAP.

Mister G

Deceptively Old Fart
I stopped using cotton on the top of the bullet:
I now use a domed screen on top.
The domed metal screen ensures that the only contact of the MP's or the Pong's screen touches the domed screen and can no way touch the bullet.

Old set up:

--------- < metal screen
\*****/ < thin layer of cotton
|bkbkb|
|kbkbk|
|bkbkb| <bud kief mix
|kbkbk|
|bkbkb|
|kbkbk|

New set up:

. _ _ _
/bkbkb\< domed metal screen
\kbkbk/
|bkbkb|
|kbkbk|
|bkbkb| <bud kief mix
|kbkbk|
|bkbkb|
|kbkbk|

I do exactly what you do, Kief Sandwiches and all. I have the dome of the screen curved downward sitting in the bullet - I use the Vapir NO2 screens, but have to trim the "brim" to fit better, otherwise it's hard to get the PonG on. My PonG does not show the degradation that others do, I currently do levels 2 and 3 a lot, occassionally 4, never level 5.

Grim Chiclets

I plan to create a GonG adapter made with a 14.5mm borosilicate glass adapter to 12mm glass stem, tailored to sit on top of the chamber at the same height as the PonG stem does. It will arrive in a couple of weeks or slightly sooner, I am thinking of posting a video or picture guide on how to modify a PonG to use the glass mouthpiece instead of the plastic - I'll supply details with the video/pics for the GonG, where to order it from the glassblower (also in this thread) as well as the dimensions to request. This will provide an all glass path using the PonG outside mould to connect firmly to the PNP :-)

I'll post results in this thread ASAP.
:mmmm:

Sativape

IMG_20140211_092710931_HDR1.jpg

So you compress the screen downwards in the middle? (as oriented in this pic)

Grim,

I shape a 1/2" screen so it is domed convex top side up.
Sorry for the shitty description but I will take pics tonight to show everyone what I'm doing.

Here are some pics of the Davinci Ascent Gong:
http://i.imgur.com/FJxeLM1.jpg
http://i1.wp.com/www.vaporreviewblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/straightgong.jpg
The stem on this Gong is approximately 10mm in diamter

I do exactly what you do, Kief Sandwiches and all. I have the dome of the screen curved downward sitting in the bullet - I use the Vapir NO2 screens, but have to trim the "brim" to fit better, otherwise it's hard to get the PonG on. My PonG does not show the degradation that others do, I currently do levels 2 and 3 a lot, occassionally 4, never level 5.
i used to curve down but I find I like the curve up because it allows me to pack more material into the bullet.
I think both ways work good.
Edit - Sorry for the back to back.

Last edited:

herbivore21

Grim,

I shape a 1/2" screen so it is domed convex top side up.
Sorry for the shitty description but I will take pics tonight to show everyone what I'm doing.

Here are some pics of the Davinci Ascent Gong:
http://i.imgur.com/FJxeLM1.jpg
http://i1.wp.com/www.vaporreviewblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/straightgong.jpg
The stem on this Gong is approximately 10mm in diamter
I saw this before I asked on this forum about getting a glass piece made. The issue is that the stem on that is too long to carry about. I want a strong glass piece I can carry with me, ideally with a stem no longer than 11mm. :)

herbivore21,

UnderMist

Technically its vapor but UnderVape sounded weird
I believe the risk of melting comes from two factors. The actual herb material hitting the screen warming it up enough to either warp it or melt it, as well as the PonG touching the hot bullet. I hope the new revision takes care of this and we have no risk of melting.

Mine personally hasn't melted since I have taken preventive measures. I have been reading this thread continuously. What I do is after I vape, I remove the mouth piece so the chamber and the mouth piece can cool off.

@Engineering I know this is an early question, but would the adapter mouth piece air flow tube be of a non plastic material as well? We are all intrigued it would be cool if you could include us in the design process. We could shoot ideas to you when you are stumped or need some inspiration. Keep us updated, you guys have the power to make us very satisfied with your vape and your company. :D

Grim Chiclets

Agreed, ideally something with nearly the same low profile as the original PonG ;)

ZODvXIyl.jpg
That, is sick.
So I just put this together over the last maybe 20min-
IMG_20140211_105851000_HDR1.jpg

I don't know why, but it's AMAZING at taming the vapor. And for some reason it's easier to tell when I'm getting good quality vapor too :shrug:
Ah, well :spliff:
edit: So... I just made it like 10x more awesome:
IMG_20140211_115244222_HDR1.jpg

Last edited:

Herr_Dampf

Just picked up 2 PNP's and 2 bullet holders from the post office. Charging in progress...

I have to say, I was expecting a flimsier piece of plastic. The PNP feels quite stury, mouthpiece cap sits tight enough and the bullet holder is a neat thing as well.
Only one tiny thing: the bullet holder came with a little storage bag, the PNP itself not. :doh:

More later!

dac13

For anyone wondering how to clean the mouth piece I just soaked it in Grunge Off for about 30 mins, and then ran it under hot water and its super clean. I'm sure that grunge off is going to be more gentle on the plastic because it isn't like ISO alcohol, it's more of a soap-based cleaner.

I also cleaned inside the chamber with grunge off, I put it on level 3 to make it come clean easier, put the tiniest drop on a q-tip and one quick swipe it was sparkling clean.

One of my favorite features of this vape is that it is SOO easy to clean compared to most other portable. I probably got 40-50 uses before the mouthpiece started to stick a little bit. The bullet system is awesome for cleaning!

UnderMist

That, is sick.

I don't know why, but it's AMAZING at taming the vapor. And for some reason it's easier to tell when I'm getting good quality vapor too :shrug:
What did you do at the bottom where the screen is? did you cut that part of the tube off?

UnderMist,

Engineering

Manufacturer
I want to let everyone know that we do in fact pay attention to our customers, and we hear you on the wish to have an all glass pathway. So here is a solution that should make everyone happy!

We will be offering this adapted PONG fitting (it's not really a PONG anymore but a GONG) as an added accessory to the PNP units.

We still stand by our original statement as to the safety and effective use of the plastic fittings, but realize that people want options. This adapted fitting is an original PONG, modified to fit a Glass 14mm adapter. In this setup, all the plastic does is keep the mouthpiece on the PNP. the air pathway is entirely glass!

yOig1iI.jpg

Y6mUZli.jpg

Pcp3MRv.jpg

j7rgl2X.jpg

UnderMist

That is awesome! I am sure there are a few refinements left in the design still, but that looks great!

Herr_Dampf

Ok, had my first 2 bullets. I cannot deal with the mouthpiece. At first I thougt it just tastes bad, gave it a draw with an empty bullet and still got vapor... uhm no thank you very much, straight into the trash you go. No strange tastes or vapors with the PonG or the regular cover sans mouthpiece.
Only tried levels 1 and 2 so far, using the stand.
2nd bullet, just using the PonG, was quite nice. First 3 hits tasted better than I had expected, the taste didn't degrade to fast and I got about one and a half sessions out of the bullet.
All in all it seems like a really nice device, except for the mouthpiece. We will see how it holds up.

EDIT: Engineering, that looks quite nice indeed! Put it into an envelope and mail it over here! :drool:

UnderMist

Ok, had my first 2 bullets. I cannot deal with the mouthpiece. At first I thougt it just tastes bad, gave it a draw with an empty bullet and still got vapor... uhm no thank you very much, straight into the trash you go. No strange tastes or vapors with the PonG or the regular cover sans mouthpiece.
Only tried levels 1 and 2 so far, using the stand.
2nd bullet, just using the PonG, was quite nice. First 3 hits tasted better than I had expected, the taste didn't degrade to fast and I got about one and a half sessions out of the bullet.
All in all it seems like a really nice device, except for the mouthpiece. We will see how it holds up.

You are lucky that we have an all glass solution coming up soon. Good day to be a PnP owner.

$unnyblaq

mist-or-vapor
Yes
I want to let everyone know that we do in fact pay attention to our customers, and we hear you on the wish to have an all glass pathway. So here is a solution that should make everyone happy!

We will be offering this adapted PONG fitting (it's not really a PONG anymore but a GONG) as an added accessory to the PNP units.

We still stand by our original statement as to the safety and effective use of the plastic fittings, but realize that people want options. This adapted fitting is an original PONG, modified to fit a Glass 14mm adapter. In this setup, all the plastic does is keep the mouthpiece on the PNP. the air pathway is entirely glass!

yOig1iI.jpg

Y6mUZli.jpg

Pcp3MRv.jpg

j7rgl2X.jpg
omg i love it this looks boss this is why i love you guys. I knew something would done excellent work over there at VB. But why not have the plastic black?

Last edited:

dac13

yOig1iI.jpg

Y6mUZli.jpg

Pcp3MRv.jpg

j7rgl2X.jpg

This looks awesome, just let us know when its for sale and I'm sure you'll have a lot of interested customers!

Reflections

I got the newer mouthpiece for the pnp with the thicker plastic and havent had a problem with it. I use it on the first pinnacle....but i definately would buy the new gong!!!! Id prefer the black plastic also..but clear is fine too.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Dude, you need to do some reclaim on that mouthpiece AND your thumbnail... :cool:

I can easily collect plenty more reclaim in that thumbnail! ;)

That, is sick.

Very nice work sir! The glass air path has made a hell of a difference here. After just over a week of use, there is no way in hell I would go back to using a PonG.

yOig1iI.jpg

Y6mUZli.jpg

Pcp3MRv.jpg

j7rgl2X.jpg

@Engineering Well that looks like a very familiar design eh? ;)

Really good to see this at least starting to be worked on as an option. Along with others who voiced the same opinion tho - black as an option would be great. Also isnt the black plastic used on the PnP PonG rated at higher temps? If so, and the plastic and heat is the problem (and I dont see how anyone could say it isnt considering photo evidence that keeps being posted), wouldnt it be better to use the higher rated plastic as a PonG/GonG collar? It'd be a better safe guard against all this nonsense blowing up again.

A few questions... I'm wondering if the glass is flush with the top of the heat chamber? Is it drawing air only from straight thru the bullet, or from around the PonG collar also? How is the glass held in place in the collar, is it just wedged in? I guess Im asking how pedantic and accurate the 'all glass vapor' path statement is, where does that glass path actually start ;)

And getting a bit ahead of myself... Are you guys considering producing any variants, maybe an 18mm connection for instance? Would that be just too big and unwieldy? :D

Anyway, this is really exciting to see. I was considering getting a new glass piece made for my DIY version of this (and was going to talk over an 18mm option with the glassblower), but if you guys can produce a truly satisying GonG, I'll give you my money instead :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom