Phattpiggies Wood Shed

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@felon167inc I'm not sure how the ring of pigment and glue will fair at the hot end. It's going to warm up no matter what.

The vapor path is isolated from it with a Ti top hat in the hot end and SS tube to the end of the MP, give or take a mm.

I'm going to do a few empty bowl cycles in my Mini and see how it fairs.

There may be a settling period like the all acrylic stem I did.

I seem to think @Padriano said he noticed a bit of a smell but it didn't last long. One or two cycles. A burn in if you like.

I fully appreciate everyone's concerns for material safety, we are all different and I'm willing to work with any individual to accomplish their requirements.

I understand what you mean about the source of materials and I'm afraid it's a lot more widespread and across every industry. Profit before people.

Woods have to be taken into condsideration as well, this site has all the info needed.
http://www.wood-database.com/

Most of the problems are with dust.
I made a long Cocobolo which was bought as a gift for a friend.
The person who bought it had an allergy to Cocobolo so I said for there own use I wouldn't recommend it.
It's a known sensitizer and once it's got you there is no going back.

I decided isolated path was the way to go after cleaning a Padauk stem with no condenser.
The reclaim was bright red, I'm assuming this was leeched from the wood.
It did me no harm, no tight chest or coughing but I'm not willing to take the risk with some one else's health.

Support@lamart

Company Representative (Lamart Tubo)
Company Rep
@felon167inc
There may be a settling period like the all acrylic stem I did.

I seem to think @Padriano said he noticed a bit of a smell but it didn't last long. One or two cycles. A burn in if you like.
Indeed.. It was a bit factory fresh out of the box, but went away pretty quick, and hasnt returned at all.

A lot of your acrylic stems would be less succeptible to that than mine..

nh17r.jpg

Most have a tihe and a blackwood mp end, so would be less likely to get hot or have dust around the mouth end. This slimline form factor is flipping great btw.. Its thinner than the tip!

I'll stay out of the health debates ta.. It was factored into our discussions by @phattpiggie every time though, which allows you to make a more informed decision on things.

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit "

Last edited:

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@felon167inc I'm 51 and hate to think of the nasty stuff I've inhaled or ingested with or without my consent.

FC has opened my eyes to the world of medical mj users.

I am happy to explain and have been as open as possible since the beginning of my VC stem trip on how I'm making stems.

I will work with anyone to deliver a satisfactory product.

If a customer suggests an idea and I'm not happy about it's construction I will not make it.

Blu

Brazilian Tulipwood is a great way to admire the variations in wood species, reds, pinks and purples are amazing to find.
Left and right hand twist 79mm twists.

WERUXjS.jpg

L6MYlRs.jpg

Wow that kack handed twist looks amazing PP, can't wait to get my hands on it and give it a twirl!

I got my skelly last week, so when my mini turns up in few months.
I think I also will be contacting you to get my skelly sent over for one of your beautiful enclosures for it!

Blu

Brazilian Tulipwood is a great way to admire the variations in wood species, reds, pinks and purples are amazing to find.
Left and right hand twist 79mm twists.

WERUXjS.jpg

L6MYlRs.jpg

Wow that kack handed twist looks amazing PP, can't wait to get my hands on it and give it a twirl!

I got my skelly last week, so when my mini turns up in few months.
I think I also will be contacting you to get my skelly sent over for one of your beautiful enclosures for it!

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@wild anchovy new curved pipe stems are either a plastic material, which I think the one in your picture is, or they are wood glued together and shaped.
Antique ones are usually some sort of bakelite.

Smokers don't seem to be worried about any nasty substances which may leach out but vapers are.

I've been wondering how I'd go about isolating the vapor path in a curved stem but I've not had time to persue the ideas.

Pipe makers usually cut a curved groove in two pieces of wood, glue them together then shape the stem. I've seen them made out of 4 separate pieces glued together.

I seem to think I also saw some that were drilled and then steam bent.

My first idea would be to bend a length of condenser tube and cut matching grooves in two bits of wood then sandwich and glue.
Or attempt to drill the wood, fit the condenser then steam bend and hope for the best.

If you have no concerns about the materials then the easiest ways would be to buy a pipe and get an adapter made for the VC or buy just the curved stem and make a new VC bowl.

I started my MJ life using hash pipes so it's something I am very keen to try out and others are equally keen for me to make.

almostthere

I'm imagining a wood j hook with a bent large id condenser and wood rings, formed, laminated inlayed, whatever would possibly work. The HE could be a ti tip or please forgive me a glass on glass connection. Possibly medicated rambling but we know what you are capable of

Top Bottom