Petition to change the definition of Milk

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
A few paranoid folks here, aspartame is pretty benign except to those with PKU.

It's not the fact that it's aspartame that's royally pissing everyone off. It's the fact that this is being done when there is no reasoning for this(other than to line someone's pocket). Is milk suddenly not good enough for us now? Clearly, corporations know better than the rest of us.

VaporEyes,
Reactions: Roger D

OO

Technical Skeptical
It's not the fact that it's aspartame that's royally pissing everyone off. It's the fact that this is being done when there is no reasoning for this(other than to line someone's pocket). Is milk suddenly not good enough for us now? Clearly, corporations know better than the rest of us.
This is the cool thing about a free market though, is that you don't have to buy their adulterated milk. There will always be people who will sell to the share of the market who doesn't want aspartame in their milk, or those who think it tastes nasty like me. As long as there is demand, there will be someone willing to satisfy that demand, of course they will want to be compensated though, and low and behold, commerce.

OO,

Enchantre

Oil Painter
This is the cool thing about a free market though, is that you don't have to buy their adulterated milk. There will always be people who will sell to the share of the market who doesn't want aspartame in their milk, or those who think it tastes nasty like me. As long as there is demand, there will be someone willing to satisfy that demand, of course they will want to be compensated though, and low and behold, commerce.
The point of the OP was, that they wouldn't have to label the milk to tell consumers that it had been adulterated.

There's already lots of flavored, sweetened, adulterated "milk" out there to avoid. That's nothing new. It's the not having to label it that is the issue.

Enchantre,
Reactions: VaporEyes

OO

Technical Skeptical
The point of the OP was, that they wouldn't have to label the milk to tell consumers that it had been adulterated.

There's already lots of flavored, sweetened, adulterated "milk" out there to avoid. That's nothing new. It's the not having to label it that is the issue.
What disturbed me about the initial post was the idea that additives would be on the ingredients list simply as "sweeteners". I would not like this situation, only one in which each added ingredient is clearly indicated.
It looks like the stuff would still have to be listed as an ingredient; They just wouldn't have to use a nutrient content claim like "reduced calories" on the label. It does make it easier to identify products with a non-nutritive sweetener (What happened to artificial?) for those that do have a concern. I think highlighting these compounds within the ingredient list would be a good compromise.

OO,
Top Bottom