• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Petition to change the definition of Milk

Nosferatu

Big Dairy has petitioned the FDA to change the meaning of the ingredient "milk" to include up to 17 "flavorings" mainly, aspartame.

https://www.federalregister.gov/art...ity-for-milk-and-17-additional-dairy-products

IDFA and NMPF request their proposed amendments to the milk standard of identity to allow optional characterizing flavoring ingredients used in milk (e.g., chocolate flavoring added to milk) to be sweetened with any safe and suitable sweetener—including non-nutritive sweeteners such as aspartame. IDFA and NMPF state that the proposed amendments would promote more healthful eating practices and reduce childhood obesity by providing for lower-calorie flavored milk products. They state that lower-calorie flavored milk would particularly benefit school children who, according to IDFA and NMPF, are more inclined to drink flavored milk than unflavored milk at school. As further support for the petition, IDFA and NMPF state that the proposed amendments would assist in meeting several initiatives aimed at improving the nutrition and health profile of food served in the nation's schools. Those initiatives include state-level programs designed to limit the quantity of sugar served to children during the school day. Finally, IDFA and NMPF argue that the proposed amendments to the milk standard of identity would promote honesty and fair dealing in the marketplace and are therefore appropriate under section 401 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (21 U.S.C. 341).

Honesty and fair dealing hmm? Oh yeah that makes sense, there is nothing decietful about putting aspartame in milk without the consumer knowing. Besides, aspartame is a safe and suitable sweetener, oh wait, no, its a toxic chemical from the same company that concocted the mind altering substance Agent Orange.

EveryDayAmnesiac

Big Dairy has petitioned the FDA to change the meaning of the ingredient "milk" to include up to 17 "flavorings" mainly, aspartame.

Honesty and fair dealing hmm? Oh yeah that makes sense, there is nothing decietful about putting aspartame in milk without the consumer knowing. Besides, aspartame is a safe and suitable sweetener, oh wait, no, its a toxic chemical from the same company that concocted the mind altering substance Agent Orange.

Glad I became a vegan last year! :tup:

As far as what I eat goes, I mean. Still not quite there with the materials, but almost....

Get off the moo juice! :puke:

OO

Technical Skeptical
I can at least understand why someone would support this idea.

That's more than I can say for some recent legislation.

OO,
Reactions: ogcook

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
I find it real cute how they cite children as their main target. Make a bunch of claims about how they're "helping" them to make it seem like they care about anything other than money. Love how the "weaker" members of our society are always used to further some rich fucker's agenda.

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
First when I saw this I thought it was a joke like, lets change the definition of milk, like vapor milk, for the milk shots. Some kind of funny stuff.

Where are we going in ? I hope this one gets kicked out hard. Lobbyist scum.

Organic is the way. The whole food supply chain is contaminated

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Aspartame?!?!? In milk!?!!? You mean the sweetener that's almost formaldehyde, that causes blindness and many other autoimmune disorder like symptoms?

:disgust:

Puffers,

OO

Technical Skeptical
Aspartame?!?!? In milk!?!!? You mean the sweetener that's almost formaldehyde, that causes blindness and many other autoimmune disorder like symptoms?

:disgust:
So if I don't accept this on your word does that mean you'll show evidence to prove that such things have occurred from aspartame use, and not formaldehyde ingestion?

OO,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
This was one project today :) if the government is willing to put people in jail for selling raw milk, I wanna see what all the fuss is about. I will say this, this is the BEST glass of milk I have ever had . . . looking into purchasing a share in a local dairy herd: http://wholesomefamilyfarm.com/?page_id=49

goatmilk.jpg

---

---
265744_173647742697025_146079965453803_459838_6377084_o.jpg

rayski

So if I don't accept this on your word does that mean you'll show evidence to prove that such things have occurred from aspartame use, and not formaldehyde ingestion?
There's no mention of formaldehyde, but this is what the Center for Science in the Public Interest has to say about aspartame:

"Aspartame (Equal, NutraSweet), a chemical combination of two amino acids and methanol, has been the focus of controversy since it was first used around 1980. Questions of cancer or neurological problems, such as dizziness or hallucinations, have swirled around aspartame for decades. A 1970s study initially sparked concerns that aspartame caused brain tumors in rats, but the U.S. Food and Drug Administration convinced an independent review panel to reverse its conclusion that aspartame was unsafe, and the agency approved its use.
The California Environmental Protection Agency and others have urged that independent scientists conduct new animal studies to resolve the cancer question. In 2005, researchers at the Ramazzini Foundation in Bologna, Italy, conducted the first such study. The study indicated that rats exposed to aspartame starting at eight weeks of age and continuing through their lifetime developed lymphomas, leukemias, and other tumors, including kidney tumors, which are extremely rare in the strain of rat used. In 2007, the same researchers published a follow-up study that began exposing rats to aspartame in utero. That study, too, found that aspartame caused leukemias/lymphomas, as well as mammary (breast) cancer. Then in 2010, they studied aspartame in mice, also exposing them beginning in utero. That third study found that aspartame caused liver and lung cancer in males.
Those new studies may have found problems that earlier company-sponsored studies did not because the Italian researchers monitored the animals for their lifetimes: as long as three years for the rats and 2.5 years for the mice, instead of just two years in the company-sponsored studies. Two-year-old rats are equivalent to roughly 65-year-old people. The many tumors that occurred after two years would never have been seen in industry's studies. Also, the company-sponsored cancer studies used fewer animals and thus were less sensitive in that regard. However, the food industry and the European Food Safety Authority hotly contested the Italian findings. The FDA said that the first study was flawed and that its scientists couldn't fully evaluate it because the researchers did not provide all their original data.
In defense of aspartame, industry points to a 2006 study by U.S. National Cancer Institute researchers. That study involved a large number of adults 50 to 71 years of age over a five-year period. There was no evidence that aspartame posed any risk. However, the study had three major limitations: It did not involve truly elderly people (the Italian studies monitored rodents until they died a natural death), the subjects had not consumed aspartame as children, and it was not a controlled study (the subjects provided only a rough estimate of their aspartame consumption, and people who consumed aspartame might have had other dietary or lifestyle differences that obscured the chemical's effects).
The bottom line is that three independent studies have found that consumption of aspartame causes cancer in rodents. However, the questions raised by government and industry reviewers about this important food additive can only be solved by new reliable, high-quality studies by other independent scientists.
Another wrinkle in the aspartame saga emerged in 2010, when Danish researchers linked the consumption of artificially sweetened, but not sugar-sweetened, soft drinks to preterm delivery of babies. Though the study couldn't distinguish between the various artificial sweeteners, aspartame and acesulfame-potassium are the most widely used. The authors suggest that the cause of the problem might be the methanol released when aspartame breaks down in the container or in the body. More research is needed on this issue. In the meantime, pregnant women might want to make a special effort to avoid consuming artificial sweeteners.
Since aspartame was first used, some people have contended that it causes headaches or dizziness. Anyone experiencing such problems should simply avoid aspartame."

This is just to avoid having to put the words "reduced calories" on the package, which children find unappealing. Quel dommage!

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
From http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Aspartame-Poison_vq3177.htm

For everyone who wants to keep up on how they slip aspartame (NutraSweet/Equal – a neurological toxin) into our foods, drugs, vaccines, OTC meds (especially child products), aspartame has a new name of AminoSweet. Since aspartame has gotten such a bad name (as it should), Ajinomoto has renamed this toxic chemical sweetener.

The FDA has received more health complaints (over 7000 adverse reactions) from aspartame than any other food ingredient.

Mike Wallace on 60 Minutes does a segment on the history of Aspartame:

Do yourself a big favor and remove this poisonous chemical out of your diet for 60 days and discover how your health will improve dramatically!

Aspartame breaks down into three components:

1. Methanol
This is poisonous alcohol. In the body, methanol breaks down into formaldehyde, which is a poison.

2. Phenylalanine
This decreases the amount serotonin in your brain, which leads to mood swings (depressions) and an increased appetite! That is why aspartame is one of the main causes for the current obesity epidemic.
http://www.naturalnews.com/001253.html

3. Aspartic acid
This is a neurological toxin comparable to MSG.

Shocking aspartame documentary 'Sweet Misery':
http://video.google.com/videoplay?doc...

Aspartame videos:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list...

Other artificial sweeteners that you should avoid:
Acesulfame K (E950), Cyclamate (E952), Isomalt (E953), Saccharin (E954), Sucralose or Splenda (E955), Alitame (E956), Neohesperidine (E959), Neotame (E961), Salt of Aspartame-Acesulfame (E962), Maltitol (E965), Lactitol (E966), Sorbitol (E420), Mannitol (E421), Glycerol (E422).

The dangers of Splenda (sucralose):
http://www.splendaexposed.com/

----------------------------

When the temperature of Aspartame exceeds 86 degrees F, the wood alcohol ASPARTAME coverts to formaldehyde and then to formic acid, which in turn causes metabolic acidosis. (Formic acid is the poison found in the sting of fire ants). The methanol toxicity mimics multiple sclerosis; thus people are being diagnosed with having multiple sclerosis in error. The multiple sclerosis is not a death sentence, where methanol toxicity is.

In the case of systemic lupus, we are finding it has become almost as rampant as multiple sclerosis, especially Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi drinkers. Also, with methanol toxicity, the victims usually drink three to four 12 oz. cans of them per day, some even more. In the cases of systemic lupus, which is triggered by ASPARTAME, the victim usually does not know that the aspartame is the culprit. The victim continues its use aggravating the lupus to such a degree, that sometimes it becomes life threatening.

When we get people off the aspartame, those with systemic lupus usually become asymptomatic. Unfortunately, we can not reverse this disease. On the other hand, in the case of those diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, (when in reality, the disease is methanol toxicity), most of the symptoms disappear. We have seen cases where their vision has returned and even their hearing has returned. This also applies to cases of tinnitus. During a lecture I said "If you are using ASPARTAME (NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, etc.) and you suffer from fibromyalgia symptoms, spasms, shooting pains, numbness in your legs, cramps, vertigo, dizziness, headaches, tinnitus, joint pain, depression, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, blurred vision, or memory loss — you probably have ASPARTAME DISEASE!"

Read the rest here.......
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

satyrday

Do yourself a big favor and remove this poisonous chemical out of your diet for 60 days and discover how your health will improve dramatically!
I never let it get in my diet. Always gave me a headache. And the taste! Plus I hate the hollow feeling of ingesting sweeteners with no energy payoff - a cheap con my system doesn't appreciate.

satyrday,

OO

Technical Skeptical
There's no mention of formaldehyde, but this is what the Center for Science in the Public Interest has to say about aspartame:
"..."
This is interesting stuff, my problem is is that the public has been consuming this compound in large amounts for some time. I've witnessed many people who consume it frequently, and are not suffering from any of the issues noted.

I always think more research is a good thing, but I really think people should be allowed to make their own choices as to what they put into their own bodies, and if that means just putting the ingredient on the label, and allowing consumers to make their own decisions, I'm perfectly fine with that.

What disturbed me about the initial post was the idea that additives would be on the ingredients list simply as "sweeteners". I would not like this situation, only one in which each added ingredient is clearly indicated.

I would like to see more evidence as to the negative health consequences consumers are having, if any, related to this compound.

OO

Technical Skeptical
From http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Aspartame-Poison_vq3177.htm

For everyone who wants to keep up on how they slip aspartame (NutraSweet/Equal – a neurological toxin) into our foods, drugs, vaccines, OTC meds (especially child products), aspartame has a new name of AminoSweet. Since aspartame has gotten such a bad name (as it should), Ajinomoto has renamed this toxic chemical sweetener.

The FDA has received more health complaints (over 7000 adverse reactions) from aspartame than any other food ingredient.

Mike Wallace on 60 Minutes does a segment on the history of Aspartame:

Aspartame breaks down into three components:

1. Methanol
This is poisonous alcohol. In the body, methanol breaks down into formaldehyde, which is a poison.

2. Phenylalanine
This decreases the amount serotonin in your brain, which leads to mood swings (depressions) and an increased appetite! That is why aspartame is one of the main causes for the current obesity epidemic.
http://www.naturalnews.com/001253.html

3. Aspartic acid
This is a neurological toxin comparable to MSG.

Shocking aspartame documentary 'Sweet Misery':
http://video.google.com/videoplay?doc...

Aspartame videos:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list...

Other artificial sweeteners that you should avoid:
Acesulfame K (E950), Cyclamate (E952), Isomalt (E953), Saccharin (E954), Sucralose or Splenda (E955), Alitame (E956), Neohesperidine (E959), Neotame (E961), Salt of Aspartame-Acesulfame (E962), Maltitol (E965), Lactitol (E966), Sorbitol (E420), Mannitol (E421), Glycerol (E422).

The dangers of Splenda (sucralose):
http://www.splendaexposed.com/

----------------------------

When the temperature of Aspartame exceeds 86 degrees F, the wood alcohol ASPARTAME coverts to formaldehyde and then to formic acid, which in turn causes metabolic acidosis. (Formic acid is the poison found in the sting of fire ants). The methanol toxicity mimics multiple sclerosis; thus people are being diagnosed with having multiple sclerosis in error. The multiple sclerosis is not a death sentence, where methanol toxicity is.

In the case of systemic lupus, we are finding it has become almost as rampant as multiple sclerosis, especially Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi drinkers. Also, with methanol toxicity, the victims usually drink three to four 12 oz. cans of them per day, some even more. In the cases of systemic lupus, which is triggered by ASPARTAME, the victim usually does not know that the aspartame is the culprit. The victim continues its use aggravating the lupus to such a degree, that sometimes it becomes life threatening.

When we get people off the aspartame, those with systemic lupus usually become asymptomatic. Unfortunately, we can not reverse this disease. On the other hand, in the case of those diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, (when in reality, the disease is methanol toxicity), most of the symptoms disappear. We have seen cases where their vision has returned and even their hearing has returned. This also applies to cases of tinnitus. During a lecture I said "If you are using ASPARTAME (NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, etc.) and you suffer from fibromyalgia symptoms, spasms, shooting pains, numbness in your legs, cramps, vertigo, dizziness, headaches, tinnitus, joint pain, depression, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, blurred vision, or memory loss — you probably have ASPARTAME DISEASE!"

Read the rest here.......
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

Did you read the snopes link? The snopes link claims that all of the info you posted was false, not sure if you realized that or not before posting, but I find the information interesting nonetheless.

I like it when people post information from two sources that have different opinions, it gives you a chance to consider both sides.

rayski

It looks like the stuff would still have to be listed as an ingredient; They just wouldn't have to use a nutrient content claim like "reduced calories" on the label. It does make it easier to identify products with a non-nutritive sweetener (What happened to artificial?) for those that do have a concern. I think highlighting these compounds within the ingredient list would be a good compromise.

rayski,

OO

Technical Skeptical
It looks like the stuff would still have to be listed as an ingredient; They just wouldn't have to use a nutrient content claim like "reduced calories" on the label. It does make it easier to identify products with a non-nutritive sweetener (What happened to artificial?) for those that do have a concern. I think highlighting these compounds within the ingredient list would be a good compromise.
Agreed.
There are other ways to reduce the caloric value of a product without adding artificial sweeteners, I don't see why they should have to market their product as such. Also, just because the sweetener is added doesn't mean they have done anything to reduce the caloric value.

Not all non-nutritive sweeteners are artificial. As such, non-nutritive is more appropriate.

Highlighting them on the ingredients list is fine with me, as long as no extra designations are applied.

OO,
Top Bottom