Perfecting Silver Surfer Logistics

Honey Bear

I want to hear what all of you Silver Surfer owners have done to make your vaping experience as good as possible. Mine has been excellent so far, but with a few small changes, it could be perfect. So I guess I am asking for advice as well as asking what unique/interesting things you guys have done to perfect your own Silver Surfer experience.

Here are my problems:
I'm not a huge fan of the vinyl tubing. They sent me two tubes, one of which I believe is the old tubing, and one the new 3/8" tubing. Anyways, the tubing is bad for two reasons: 1. It tends to slip out of the wand as well as slip off the ice chamber (mini bong) thing it is supposed to connect to, both of which can be pretty annoying. 2. It is a little too stiff, which leads to accidents when passing where the wand comes out and I lose some bud.
I hear silicone tubing is better in some ways, but comes with its own share of problems. Anyways come up with the optimal way to connect the wand to the ice chamber?
My other problem was mentioned earlier: The wand sometimes comes loose. I have the GG connection, which is perfect for solo sessions, but can be precarious in group settings. How do people feel about the metal "hands-free" connection apparatus they sell, and does it work with the GG connection? I am considering picking that up for group sessions, and want to know people's opinions of it.
Lastly, the downstem is stuck in my ice chamber. It hasn't been a short term problem to leave it there, but I would eventually like to get it out. Any tips?
Thanks guys! Looking forward to hearing some helpful and hopefully even ingenious responses.

Honey Bear,

max

Out to lunch
I'm not a huge fan of the vinyl tubing. They sent me two tubes, one of which I believe is the old tubing, and one the new 3/8" tubing. Anyways, the tubing is bad for two reasons: 1. It tends to slip out of the wand as well as slip off the ice chamber (mini bong) thing it is supposed to connect to, both of which can be pretty annoying. 2. It is a little too stiff, which leads to accidents when passing where the wand comes out and I lose some bud.
You don't say how old your unit is, but they've been shipping the new 3/8" ID tubing since early this year (maybe before). It's quite flexible. In fact, it's the most flexible OEM tubing I've seen. I have a couple of the new 'female connection' wands and have had no problems with the tubing coming out. It's possible they made the opening on your wand too large.

How do people feel about the metal "hands-free" connection apparatus they sell, and does it work with the GG connection?
You shouldn't need it if you already have hands free. I don't know if it fits.

I am considering picking that up for group sessions, and want to know people's opinions of it.
I've seen few comments on this option. I remember one person said it was a pain but people's expectations can be unrealistic sometimes. It works and if I was in frequent 'pasing around' situations I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Too bad you can't get your friends to treat the gg connection gently.

Lastly, the downstem is stuck in my ice chamber.
No experience here, but have you tried putting it in the fridge or freezer to try and get some contraction? Maybe pour in a little vegetable oil for lubrication?

max,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Sounds like a case of glass manufacturing variances for your tubing trouble. A custom wand I ordered back when they had male connections was far too big to fit in the tubing. If it's too big for your downstem and too small for your wand, I guess at least one will need to be exchanged. They had no problem exchanging mine, they sent the wrong one but that's another story.

I don't think many people use the hands free clip, I tried it once with the non ground glass connection and it just wasn't worth the trouble imo. Maybe it would work for your needs.

Lastly, the downstem is stuck in my ice chamber. It hasn't been a short term problem to leave it there, but I would eventually like to get it out. Any tips?
Here are a few: http://www.ecu.edu/glassblowing/frozenglass.htm

Good luck. :)

vtac,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Honeybeat, I go through the same thing when my friends come over and pretty much I just tell them that they need to hold the GG connection and that it really isn?t ?hands free?. They don?t actually have to hold it there but they just need to have their hand underneath the wand in case it slips out. I have actually stuck in the female GG heater cover really tightly and then it took a group of us to under the GG connection. Sometimes I just act as the vapor caddy too but I found that the more I just let my friends handle the vaporizers themselves, the better they get as using them. I don?t know about you guys, but sometimes my friends just rely on me to set up the whole vapor bar and keep it going?.

stonemonkey55,

Beezleb

I would put a mouse pad in front of the connection so if it comes out it doesnt break when it does come out.

Beezleb,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
LOL use clip :

I dont know till what temp they are good but probably high temp plastic cause it scientis stuff :science:

Clear_Dome,

Honey Bear

Clear_Dome said:
LOL use clip :
[url]http://s1d3.turboimagehost.com/t/1025743_19mm_keck4_thumb.jpg[/url]
I dont know till what temp they are good but probably high temp plastic cause it scientis stuff :science:
Ooo nice idea! Anyone know what type of clip works well for such an application/where I could get it?

Yea, Stonemonkey, I too often end up being the vapor caddy. The wand falling out was much more of a problem at first though, because now pretty much all of my friends know the deal. It would just be nice to not worry about it all. I actually like to put a ceramic (cereal) bowl under the wand so that if it falls out it lands in the bowl and I don't lose any bud. Now completely fool-proof though because once someone yanked it out so hard the bowl didn't catch it. Such a shame to lose an entire bowl for stupid reasons....Losing bud is the problem, I'm really not concerned with the wand breaking it is very thick.

Honey Bear,

Honey Bear

Anyone have any experience using keck clips with the Silver Surfer? I am trying to figure out what size to get as well as where to get them for cheap. Also, plastic vs. metal?

Honey Bear,

Blinebuddy

hey everyone,

this is my first post here! haha, but I have some experience with both seventh floor products- da buddha and the Silver Surfer. the glass on glass hands free attachment shouldn't need any clips to hold it on there- just stick it in, and twist while still inserting the male end into the female end. the turning of the male end allows the surfaces to come into complete contact, thus completing the seal- and making it almost impossible to separate( you just gotta twist it while trying to remove it from the female- making the surfaces break surface tension and allowing the wand to be free once more.

I know this method works. my buddha has fallen off outdoor patios tables onto deck surfaces without letting go of its wand. if it can survive that then it obviously makes it seal very well!

hope this helps.

Blinebuddy,

max

Out to lunch
Welcome to the forum Blinebuddy. I think most of us here know how gg connections work, but hand made glass needs to be tested to make sure that everything fits as it's intended. 7th Floor has been known to ship glass that should have been rejected by a QC check. I received a wand where the screen was practically flopping around in the bowl area. An eyeball inspection would have been sufficient for rejection. We also know that Steve has had to greatly increase his staff in the last two years and is therefore struggling with quality control issues to some degree. He's aware of the problem and is working to improve the situation.

Don't really know if the OP's problem is a less than perfect gg connection, or just inexperienced users not being careful enough.

max,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
maybe they use chinese ground joint ....that what most of the bong maker use ....

Clear_Dome,

Perkins

I just put the hose from my wand into the ice chamber and dont even worry about that other piece . works great . I like my wands and new ice chamber from 7th floor .

Perkins,

EitherOr

I have found that the hose slips out of the wand if there is any moisture between the hose and inner glass surface, I know some people moisten the hose a bit to make sliding in easier but it works both ways, it makes it come out easier. When my hose starts slipping I just slide it out clean the end that inserts into the wand by wiping it dry and then insert back into wand. That seems to work for me, I have several of their standard wands and they all work fine, as long as I keep the inserted hose tip clean.

I have their hands free clip and aside from once or twice when new, I never used it again, It feels pretty flimsy as well.

EitherOr,
Top Bottom