Pens!?!?

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Got home from the Jorma show last night to discover that I somehow broke my Puffco pen. Not sure how I managed it, but it's toast.

So... I need a new one! I am so fucking confused by pens. There are so many out there and all the different mods, etc. has me baffled.

My first "pen" was a Hercules by W9 Tech. I liked it but it seemed to fuck up on me at the most inopportune times- like while skiing, at Lockn, camping, etc. The second one was the PuffCo. Again, I liked it but it didn't taste that great after a while and of course, it broke.

I am now looking to buy the BEST pen I can. I want it easy to operate and dependable. I don't care about stealth. It will be used with shatter that I make with Everclear. I'd like something that I can load enough in and take it skiing or whatever.

I know this is totally subjective (best? LOL) but I'd love some advice and guidance from those of you who know their shit about pens!

Tstat,

CalyxSmokr

well what do you mean it broke? I would replace the broken part - either the atty or battery. Puffco is the best I have tried but I would look at kandypens if I had to get an all new setup

CalyxSmokr,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Yea, I really dont know what happened, but the battery part came apart and the wires broke. Yea, I had fun last night, but...

Tstat,

CalyxSmokr

Yea, I really dont know what happened, but the battery part came apart and the wires broke. Yea, I had fun last night, but...
you can just get a new battery. Like a vision spinner will work - but a new puffco battery will match best

CalyxSmokr,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Yea, I don't really want to mess around that much. I guess I am looking for an all in one type of solution. Right now I'm liking SOURCE Orb V3 Vape Pen...

Tstat,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Anyone have any more suggestions? I'd like to get this bought soon...

Tstat,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
If I were to choose an All-in-One; the Dr. Dabbler Aura looks very nice; also considering they have a good care for the forums they seem like the best AIO choice for support.

Haven't heard to much positive about Source, but this is primarily from the Reddit realm that I hear negativity. Although all in ones are ALL marked up horribly IMO. A box plus your favorite atty is the easiest method and you don't have to rely on the cheap chinese batteries these companies give you.

paytonpenn,
Reactions: salivape

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Yea, that looks very cool. So, I just want to stay away from the crappier pens. I know it's all opinion, but if someone says they heard bad things, then there are probably bad thing, LOL.

And... I am OK with making one myself, but again, I have no idea what I'm doing. I don't have a favorite atty! :) That said, I didn't like the constant maintenance of the SR-74 Herc. Every time I really needed it to work, it leaked oil or something and I was fucked. The PuffCop was great for a while and I guess the idea is to just buy new attys when it starts to taste bad.

So, my search continues. If anyone wants to enlighten me as to how to buy the best set-up, where to get the parts, etc. I would be grateful. Until then, I like that Aura :)
Thanks everyone!

Tstat,

BeardedCrow

I also favor the box mod with RDA.

Much better hits and flavor.

Also I can stick a ball of shatter inside the cap for later use so I don't have to carry around my shatter, i just need a toothpick to set it on the coil.

I used to buy a new pen every few months, got tired of it.

BeardedCrow,

CalyxSmokr

I tried the box mod with an evil monk rda and I never got decent flavor. It worked but steel coils tasted like shit and I am not going to bother with ti wire. I said enough and just bought a puffco. I think the source orb got good reviews from vapecritic...but if I had to do it again I would look at kandypens
The PuffCop was great for a while and I guess the idea is to just buy new attys when it starts to taste bad.

you do know they can be cleaned, yes?

Last edited:
CalyxSmokr,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
I soaked it in ISO a and boiled the fucker. There was always a bunch of crud around the wires. In the beginning I always used it on green. After a while I had to use blue, and then red. I think it's due to the buildup.

Anyway, I don't want another PuffCo. I would do a box mod or build a pen, except I have no idea what to get. I mean, either prebuilt or parts, I would want:
Long lasting battery
Atty that works great with shatter
Atty that tastes great, easy to clean

Tstat,

CalyxSmokr

I soaked it in ISO a and boiled the fucker. There was always a bunch of crud around the wires. In the beginning I always used it on green. After a while I had to use blue, and then red. I think it's due to the buildup.

Anyway, I don't want another PuffCo. I would do a box mod or build a pen, except I have no idea what to get. I mean, either prebuilt or parts, I would want:
Long lasting battery
Atty that works great with shatter
Atty that tastes great, easy to clean

I don't think the puffco tasted great but haven't had anything better. But like I said...kandypens
Let us know what you find better

CalyxSmokr,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Source Orbs for me all the way and I wont look back. Reliable, powerful, huge coils/atomizers, IMO the BEST atomizers on the market, variable voltage batt, many options included in the box with either kit you choose.

Honestly, I think most variable voltage batteries are basically the same. My carbon fiber vector (pictured) looks awesome, but it is not as precise with the button as others I have had.
Carbon-Fibre-vaporizer-Vision-Spinner-3-Kit-Adjustable-Voltage-ego-vv-mod-1650mah-Battery-vape-pen.jpg

The Source just continue to blow me away when I do side by side comparisons with atomizers- I prefer the taste, efficiency, DEEP DEEP dish's with low coils and air holes high on the walls. They win every time. The Orb4 clear dome with carbed hole is brilliant and it also comes with the skinny setup, the one hitter one coil setup, the skinny, and 8 atomizers.

Call/PM Randy at PuffItUp, he sells a lot of pens and see if he might have some new guidance.

IMO

FlyingLow,
Reactions: Nugg

Wizsteve

Got home from the Jorma show last night to discover that I somehow broke my Puffco pen. Not sure how I managed it, but it's toast.

So... I need a new one! I am so fucking confused by pens. There are so many out there and all the different mods, etc. has me baffled.

My first "pen" was a Hercules by W9 Tech. I liked it but it seemed to fuck up on me at the most inopportune times- like while skiing, at Lockn, camping, etc. The second one was the PuffCo. Again, I liked it but it didn't taste that great after a while and of course, it broke.

I am now looking to buy the BEST pen I can. I want it easy to operate and dependable. I don't care about stealth. It will be used with shatter that I make with Everclear. I'd like something that I can load enough in and take it skiing or whatever.

I know this is totally subjective (best? LOL) but I'd love some advice and guidance from those of you who know their shit about pens!

Building your own is the best way and the least expense in the long run.However since you don't want to go that route.

And you don't care about stealth (pens main selling point is stealth) So i say fuck pens.
what you need maybe a enail instead.

Wizsteve,
Reactions: poonman

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Ok so I am going to look at Source again. There a few sites that say it is the best but maybe the battery doesn't last that long. I do like all the atomizers you get with it.

As for the CloudV, I have been looking at those for a while. Cool setup but I need something I can hit in the car, on a chairlift, etc. so it's not an email.

Tstat,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Anyone else have an opinion here on this? I think I am now looking at that Source again with all the atomizers.

I was still hoping to get some info on building a pen, though!

Tstat,

jim-bob

If you can wait (not sure how long at this point) w9's Omicron v4 is the best actual pen-shaped oil device i've used so far.

jim-bob,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
My Orb 3 just came in and I am psyched! I charged and stuck a single coil quartz into the Slim. Damn. I wanted to spend the day trying out different atomizers, but now I'm too baked :)

Thing is really nice. Build quality is excellent and you get a tone of shit with it. Very happy so far, but of course I have not tried it in real life circumstances yet :)

Tstat,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
@FlyingLow what are your favorite atomizers? So far I have tried a double quartz and a ceramic doughnut. What do you like to run yours at? Have you tried the bubbler attachment?

Tstat,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I use the double ceramic coil the most and have been through at least a 6-8 of them. Very effective and big rips. Quartz double was awesome as well, and I've yet to try the quartz walled donut. I run mine low, mostly below 3.6.

FlyingLow,
Reactions: Tstat
Top Bottom