Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

radcliff299

Hi -

I have a PAX and it has just stopped working. When I turn it on the LED comes on then flashes 5 times and then just switches off. I have cleaned and cleaned it but it makes no difference. I have spent hours trying and re-trying but I just get the same issue.

I have uploaded a youtube video showing what is happening.

Any advice?

Thanks
You have a fake Pax. I had the same one and it did the same thing. Got my money back from ebay seller and bought one from local head shop. $230. I can tell just by looking at it that the grain of the outer surface has faint lines going from top to the base of the unit. The real pax has a mat finish.

The texture of the metal and the problem you report are exactly what he points out in this video.

You can also tell by the serial numbers. The fakes are bright white letters and numbers. My fake started with PX. The originals have a much lighter colored ink. Almost beige. And shoukld start with Capitol A or B followed by another letter.

PS The serial numbers are located under the mouth piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
radcliff299,

radcliff299

Are there any warranty issues if you buy from a local headshop?
I have read of a girl on a forum that bought from a local headshop and Ploom took care of her. I think they are interested in the serial number, and when you bought it, not where so much. Just email them with your serial number and your problem with the unit.

radcliff299,

Jethro

Man this thread has gotten long! I've been enjoying my PAX for over a year now and love it, but can anyone tell me where in this thread I can figure out how to fix the mouthpiece from shutting down/losing contact, whatever it does? I clean the heck out of it, even use the dental brushes on the spring and clip and still it will change from green if the mouthpiece moves the wrong way. Love everything about this device except that issue. Is there a hack/fix for me that I don't know about? Just don't have time to read 200 pages of this thread! I would think a sticky somewhere with commonly asked questions would be good? Or maybe there is one I don't know about? Appreciate it!

Jethro,

Belgianvapor

Man this thread has gotten long! I've been enjoying my PAX for over a year now and love it, but can anyone tell me where in this thread I can figure out how to fix the mouthpiece from shutting down/losing contact, whatever it does? I clean the heck out of it, even use the dental brushes on the spring and clip and still it will change from green if the mouthpiece moves the wrong way. Love everything about this device except that issue. Is there a hack/fix for me that I don't know about? Just don't have time to read 200 pages of this thread! I would think a sticky somewhere with commonly asked questions would be good? Or maybe there is one I don't know about? Appreciate it!

I know it's not the coolest solution, but this is what I do and 75% of the time it works all the time :cool:
Just stick the tip of a tooth pick between the pax and the mp on the side of the mp where you have to push and then just break it off.
When you're done, gently close the mp and the tip will fall out.

Belgianvapor,

llamaman001

Im really hoping to have my PAX before thanksgiving! Cant wait to try it out, Im coming from a SOLO (I loved it) and a PNP (could only use with water, dry was way harsh) so Im really hoping that the pax works for me otherwise its back to the SOLO

llamaman001,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
Im really hoping to have my PAX before thanksgiving! Cant wait to try it out, Im coming from a SOLO (I loved it) and a PNP (could only use with water, dry was way harsh) so Im really hoping that the pax works for me otherwise its back to the SOLO

I will say the pax dry can get pretty harsh ( mainly on high )

Elluzion,

Jethro

I know it's not the coolest solution, but this is what I do and 75% of the time it works all the time

You know, that's not a bad idea I guess! Glad you posted pics or I would have jammed the toothpick in the spring mech and been all "wutttt.". It doesn't so much bother me when I'm using it myself, but occasionally I puff it with close friends or family and this may not be an elegant solution, but I can see how well it would work.

Jethro,

KidFated.

Unknown Member
Last edited:
KidFated.,

OregonStoner

This thread has had many solutions for this issue and all have worked for me with some success.
  1. Simply pushing the mouthpiece toward the LED "x" will usually get the Pax to heat up. Sometimes it will continue heating after I release my thumb and sometimes it goes back to displaying the temp light. The toothpick method to hold the mouthpiece looks like it would work well but I can't say I have tried it.
  2. Blowing into the mouthpiece has worked at times.
  3. Removing and reinserting mouthpiece has worked at times.
  4. One I have been doing lately that I came up with on my own is when this issue comes up, I press the mouthpiece down but not all the way to clicking into the off position, and then relaxing my thumb to allow the mouthpiece to spring back up. I do this up and down motion a dozen or so times then stop and see if the unit returns to heating without resorting to other fixes listed above. More often than not, this resolves my temp light issue for several days. If this does not work anymore I then do...
A complete cleaning. I have had good results doing the following.
  1. Soaking the entire mouthpiece in ISO and scrubbing the tube and baffle with a small dental brush and a pipe cleaner. I then rinse with water and dry well. I then use some ISO (carefully) on a small dental brush and scrub around the top of the spring and the top of the oven tube. I then dry this area with a dry pipe cleaner.
  2. I put a drop of mouthpiece lube (propylene glycol) on the outside of the mouthpiece tube and a drop just inside the tube on the bottom. I then spread it around with another dental brush used ONLY for this procedure.
  3. I then put the mouthpiece back into the unit and do the "thumb spring" motion up and down at least 20 times. The same way I described in #4 above.
  4. Since propylene glycol is a solvent, I remove the mouthpiece from the unit and do a repeat of all of the above again. The second time I skip the water rinse and dry all parts I cleaned with a paper towel or dry pipe cleaner (around the spring and oven tube).
  5. I then repeat step 2 and 3 and call it good.
After a thorough cleaning mentioned above, my Pax will usually not give me any "temp light" issues for several days. When it starts happening again, I go back to step 4 in the first list and do that until its time for another complete cleaning.

Keep in mind that I use my Pax often, and I use BHO's in every oven I load. This means that people that don't use their Pax as often, or like I do, may have these steps last much longer than a couple days.

Hope my post gave you some new things to try for your issue..

Shadowdjinni

This thread has had many solutions for this issue and all have worked for me with some success.
  1. Simply pushing the mouthpiece toward the LED "x" will usually get the Pax to heat up. Sometimes it will continue heating after I release my thumb and sometimes it goes back to displaying the temp light. The toothpick method to hold the mouthpiece looks like it would work well but I can't say I have tried it.
  2. Blowing into the mouthpiece has worked at times.
  3. Removing and reinserting mouthpiece has worked at times.
  4. One I have been doing lately that I came up with on my own is when this issue comes up, I press the mouthpiece down but not all the way to clicking into the off position, and then relaxing my thumb to allow the mouthpiece to spring back up. I do this up and down motion a dozen or so times then stop and see if the unit returns to heating without resorting to other fixes listed above. More often than not, this resolves my temp light issue for several days. If this does not work anymore I then do...
A complete cleaning. I have had good results doing the following.
  1. Soaking the entire mouthpiece in ISO and scrubbing the tube and baffle with a small dental brush and a pipe cleaner. I then rinse with water and dry well. I then use some ISO (carefully) on a small dental brush and scrub around the top of the spring and the top of the oven tube. I then dry this area with a dry pipe cleaner.
  2. I put a drop of mouthpiece lube (propylene glycol) on the outside of the mouthpiece tube and a drop just inside the tube on the bottom. I then spread it around with another dental brush used ONLY for this procedure.
  3. I then put the mouthpiece back into the unit and do the "thumb spring" motion up and down at least 20 times. The same way I described in #4 above.
  4. Since propylene glycol is a solvent, I remove the mouthpiece from the unit and do a repeat of all of the above again. The second time I skip the water rinse and dry all parts I cleaned with a paper towel or dry pipe cleaner (around the spring and oven tube).
  5. I then repeat step 2 and 3 and call it good.
After a thorough cleaning mentioned above, my Pax will usually not give me any "temp light" issues for several days. When it starts happening again, I go back to step 4 in the first list and do that until its time for another complete cleaning.

Keep in mind that I use my Pax often, and I use BHO's in every oven I load. This means that people that don't use their Pax as often, or like I do, may have these steps last much longer than a couple days.

Hope my post gave you some new things to try for your issue..

As someone who Pax's 2-4 times a day and has only used oils once. I can say that the frequency of your cleaning is only due to the oil factor. For me, a weekly cleaning of about 30-45m does the trick (extra time depending on how much resin I want to remove from the chamber walls) and I've just decided to skip doing the lube since it only works for a few days and makes it taste like shit.

Shadowdjinni,

Teedub

I find that If I simply clean the metal tube on the mouthpiece inside and out with a nip of iso as the problem occurs it solves it 100% of the time, for me. IME it has just been a dirty contact issue and can arise after a few puffs or after a few oven loads. Quick wipe and she is good to go again.
I still clean regularly as well.

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
I find that If I simply clean the metal tube on the mouthpiece inside and out with a nip of iso as the problem occurs it solves it 100% of the time, for me. IME it has just been a dirty contact issue and can arise after a few puffs or after a few oven loads. Quick wipe and she is good to go again.
I still clean regularly as well.
^^This.^^

If you are out and about you can even just use a tissue or napkin. Wipe the outside of the stem and then roll the other side up and push it inside the stem to clean in there. This fixes my issue until I can give the Pax a thorough cleaning.

I gave up on the lube a long time ago. I find it adds more of a hassle than it actually helps.

Deadshort480,
Reactions: Teedub

nat3r

VaPeLoRd

why not send it back? they have a 10 year warranty on them, if you're maintaining it well, and its still failing, call em up

nat3r,

Shadowdjinni

Are there any warranty issues if you buy from a local headshop?
My headshop has guaranteed the 10 year warranty but tell me to come to them and not through Ploom. My unit's serial number starts with a B, so it seems legit. But I bought it from them from $200 and Ploom has said that if it's under 250 it's a fake. Though it has all the telltale signs of a real unit (light colors, method of charging, metal sheen, etc.).

I would ask the store you got it from to get their answer and I would also contact Ploom to see if they're an authorized seller.

Shadowdjinni,

nat3r

VaPeLoRd
its on a sticker on the box, as well as under the mouthpiece

if it starts with an A or a B its authentic

nat3r,

llamaman001

On the older models did it not have the serial number in them? I was thinking of buying one from a member here who told me it was around 9-10 months old and there is no serial number in the mouthpiece chamber but he has the original reciept from vaporworld to prove its legit. Just curious!

llamaman001,

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
I have an early model and mine has a serial number. The one I had before this one was from when they first released and that had a serial # as well.

Deadshort480,

llamaman001

anyone care to comment on if this is real or not...took a look at the packaging in the pic and for some reason the "ploom" logo looks off, dont know if its just me or not.

P1030024.jpg

P1030023.jpg

llamaman001,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom