Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 Paces

Haven't heard anyone talk about using the pax in colder weather (say skiing or snowboarding). If i keep it in an inside pocket so its next to my body should it work as normal? Anyone have experience with this?

I use mine outdoors a bunch in the winter. You should be fine if you keep it in an inside pocket. As long as the Pax stays warm when not in use it will function as usual. If it gets cold the battery will lose strength, and the unit may completely shut down if it gets too cold (it can be refreshed by letting it warm up and charging it).

It will take a bit longer for the Pax to heat up depending on how cold it is outside. It helps if you shield it from the wind, but it isn't absolutely necessary. Also, I like to give it a bit longer in between hits since the air you're pulling through is very cold. It lets the material heat back up.

BL4Z3D247

The name says it all.
Read most of this thread, so much good information!

Haven't heard anyone talk about using the pax in colder weather (say skiing or snowboarding). If i keep it in an inside pocket so its next to my body should it work as normal? Anyone have experience with this?
People have said that it doesn't work well if at all if the unit gets cold(I think I read 30°F). If you keep the unit warm enough though you should be fine.

Shoutouts to the two screens dude, mentos sheathe dude, all the video and pic dudes and all the other dudes that made this thread a joy to read. I learned a lot and I feel like I already own a PAX(just waiting on the mailman now). So thank you all. Once I sheathe thy PAX I'll post some pics.

P.S. - And dudettes. :cool:

DanAndroid

Of no particular interest
If i keep it in an inside pocket so its next to my body should it work as normal? Anyone have experience with this?

Along with the spot-on advice "2 Paces" and "BL4Z3D247" offered, I can only add that the main issue is the battery.

Batteries in general don't like the cold, LiPo's especially.

Keeping it in a pocket close to your body would definitely help and alleviate virtually all of the problems with that.

On the other hand, the Pax is primarily/only(?) a conduction type vape so all else being equal, cold shouldn't affect it's ability to vape although it may take more juice from the battery to reach and maintain temperature.

But as usual all else is never equal and in this case specifically, as you draw vapor from the Pax, "outside" air is being drawn into the oven area so you may notice your vape going into warm-up mode more often than usual.

What I found works best is keeping my Pax in an inner pocket as close to my body as possible when not in use and when I want to use it, I wrap my hand around the bottom such that my hand can pre-warm the air, to the extent possible, before it enters the oven area.

I've also tried sticking the Pax partially down inside one of my gloves with my hand still in the glove but that ends up being rather awkward as you can end up looking like a "Secret agent man" conspicuously talking into your hand. :cool:

One thing though, cold saps a battery's capacity and a LiPo drained too far can brick the battery so be careful.

I know the in-board battery control circuitry should cover that problem but I don't have enough experimental time with my Pax to figure out how well regulated the battery is.

All that said, as long as you are careful, you shouldn't have any problems, just keep your baby warm and it will do the same for you. ;)

3500ltz

Thanks guys, sounds like it will work just fine. I usually store my camera next to my body when its cold out so figured the battery in the pax would be very similar. Pax should be delivered this weekend and will post my thoughts as soon as i have a chance to take it skiing!

I usually hold my pipe or one-hitter in my hand, down my sleeve, when on the chairlift. Good suggestion for the pax and hopefully be able to draw warm air from my jacket sleeve.

3500ltz,

BL4Z3D247

The name says it all.
Just got my PAX, charged it up to green(plus an extra half hour), ground up my herb(.25g) as fine I can get it with the MFLB mini grinder, dumped it, packed it tight, on went the PAX, put it on low, waited an extra minute after green and wow... Just wow. Better than I imagined.

I'm coming from a MFLB and I have to say, the PAX got me medicated a lot faster and I mean med-i-ca-ted. I took about 15 draws on low, nice clouds, great taste and I probably could have got some more draws had I kept going. Granted this is a brand new, out of the box, fully charged, straight from Ploom. I'm sure this will vary on a few things(product, cleaniness, etc.). Going to give it a stir and try medium next, well once I come down that is. :ko:

BL4Z3D247

The name says it all.
If you think you were blowing clouds on low just wait until you hit Med-high. Youll be blown away my friend.
Done and done. On high, the first draw gave me a bong hit size cloud. Sent me into a nice coughing fit, which rarely happens. I freakin love this thing already.

Here's my mentos sheathe, needs some touching up but it looks good.
2djb5h4.jpg
2ch2tfo.jpg
dvfwq8.jpg
9ixvg1.jpg
21bw6br.jpg

Made a peephole for the LED, I can easily hide it with my thumb so doesn't make it any less steath. If I need to conceal the LED indefinately I can just turn the PAX around and the back of the label hides it.

Last edited:
The pax is really an amazing portable, my buddy ended up getting one for free from the manufacturer and we cant stop using it. It is making me a fan of vaporizers because of how great it is. The only problem is vapeworld is the only who carries it and I had a bad customer service experience with them. Might have to go looking in local smoke shops to see if anybody carries them

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
The pax is really an amazing portable, my buddy ended up getting one for free from the manufacturer and we cant stop using it. It is making me a fan of vaporizers because of how great it is. The only problem is vapeworld is the only who carries it and I had a bad customer service experience with them. Might have to go looking in local smoke shops to see if anybody carries them
Just order direct from Ploom. I would say that is your safest and best bet.

DanAndroid

Of no particular interest
Better than I imagined.

Don't ya hate it when that happens? I know I do. :lol:

I'm glad you are liking your new toy although calling it a toy isn't really fair. It can be a friggin' workhorse under the right conditions!

Right conditions seemingly dependent primarily on the type and condition of the material being vaped.

It will be interesting to see what you get out of it on medium and then on high.

Don't forget where to come back to afterward, OK? :uhh:

DanAndroid,

Buttercup

hey folks long time lurker first time poster. have had the pax for a little over a year. had the mouthpiece issue, then the temp button got stuck. got a replacement through vape world (which is awesome company by the way) now 7 months no issues except cleaning it 1x week (daily user). had MFLB before the pax. pax blows MFLB outta the water. love this thing. cant say enough good things about it. i know i came on here alot before purchasing it and was rather indecisive. to anyone in the same boat as me, get it, you wont regret it.

i'm looking for another vape, just something different to try. but this thing is the cats ass.

Buttercup,

Rare

So my pax is doing that stupid blue flashing light and shut off thing... I bought it from ebay.. How screwed and out of money am I guys? And, i've lurked.. but haven't lurked that extensively to see if someone maybe figured out a fix (which I HIGHLY doubt because of how closed source the pax is/seems)
I'd appreciate any replies. Thanks.

Rare,

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
So my pax is doing that stupid blue flashing light and shut off thing... I bought it from ebay.. How screwed and out of money am I guys? And, i've lurked.. but haven't lurked that extensively to see if someone maybe figured out a fix (which I HIGHLY doubt because of how closed source the pax is/seems)
I'd appreciate any replies. Thanks.
Oh no, sorry to hear this. Blue flashing light is something that is not user fixable. You may be able to contact Ploom and see if it can be repaired at a cost.

Deadshort480,

editedit

Just saw this on Reddit, thought you guys could give it a shot and report back on your findings!

Play Simon on Pax
  1. rotate towards yourself 12 times (as if you were going to activate party mode)

2. A white light should flash letting you know it has begun

3. a color pattern will show for you to copy
Green - Tilt right
Red - Tilt left
Blue - Tilt forward (away from you)
Yellow - Tilt back (towards you)

Source

EDIT: Turns out it's a known feature :p Now I feel foolish, but hopefully some new users can benefit

Last edited:

Rare

Oh no, sorry to hear this. Blue flashing light is something that is not user fixable. You may be able to contact Ploom and see if it can be repaired at a cost.

Yeah, that's what I figured.. I shot them an email and hope to hear SOMETHING back.. I really don't want to buy another vape. Especially after only having this thing for like 3 months, and I love it.

Rare,

Curiousone

The mentos idea is fresh. Thx to the originator and all the others who have posted pics. It is a stinky beast after use but this seems an inexpensive fix. BL:The blue mentos looks pretty stealthy. Just have to make sure no one wants some gum/candy!

Also wanted to report how my Pax made a very reluctant combuster bow to the vape! I've brought my SOlo over many times and he just didn't like it (to my amazement). So, I went over the day after I bought my Pax. My technique wasn't very good to be honest as I'd only used it for 2 sessions before. Truthfully, he got bigger clouds than I was getting on his second or third draw. My technique improved as we kinda worked to figure it out. Ultimately, it floored us both and we are not lightweights. I liked it more after that extended session.

Forgot to add, he explicitly said how much he liked it over the Solo and then inquired about buying one. (This won't happen but I was impressed that he was that interested)

The Pax has continued to impress. My Solo remains my daily driver, but seriously, this was money well spent!

Curiousone,

GraffiX

Heya fellow Pax addicts!

What an amazing thread, soooo much good info in here, I feel like I actually know some of you at this point! Thanks to all of you for all the contributions, ideas, etc. I have lots of things I'd like to talk about and share on the Pax, but don't want to write a novel here (or bore the hell out of everyone!), so I'll stick to one item and write more later.

I have been a long time vape head, and like most of you, have owned a dozen or so, most of which are in a drawer or box somewhere. Before I bought my Pax, my Volcano and my iOlite were my go-to capes for home and portable use.

The Pax changed all that in a big way, and for all the reasons we all already know, I love this device like a family member, so much so that I bought a second one as a spare, brand new, sits in the box. I can't imagine life without the Pax (I've been a medical cannabis patient for over a decade and a recreational user for 40+ years).

After reading this amazing thread (no mean feat, sheesh!!) I wanted to give back something to the FC PaxFamily here, so here's my first contribution, I didn't see this addressed directly here or anywhere else on the innerwebz , so hopefully this helps out those who are curious about...

An External Battery Pack to Charge the Pax Anywhere!

So, in my line of work, I have a few battery packs of various spec. For this project, I chose an Anker Astro 3 5v/9v/12v, 2a, 10000mAh battery.

On the Pax wall wart, the relevant specs are that its a 9v, 1.3a supply with the center post being the (+), outer shield is (-).

As you can see from these specs, we can use this battery to charge the Pax safely and effectively. Set the battery to a 9v output, and use the appropriate output on your battery!

Here is how I proceeded. You will need a dremmel, or some appropriate files would do the trick, but the dremmel made it easy. This project will take you ~30 mins, and requires no special skills, soldering, or mucking about with the Pax.

1. Cut the arch across from the internal plugin on the charging base:
0b4x.jpg

2. Grind off some material of the appropriate barrel adapter so iit will lay flat once its in place. (an assortment of aadapter ends comes with the battery):
tlgt.jpg

3. Insert barrel end through the arch you created and on into the socket in the charger base. I did take a bit material off the other side of the adapter barrel (not shown in the pics) so it would go in straight and smooth without putting any sideways or undue pressure as it goes into the socket. This is just done by eye and feel...push it in..if it looks or feels like its not quite lined up, take a little more material off the appropriate area of the connector and try again. NEVER force anything, take your time and do it right.
zz77.jpg

4. In this image we see all the parts: the modified charging base, the battery, the cable, and the Pax itself. You can see that the base lays perfectly flat on the table, and the barrel adapter adds a bit of weight as well. Solid. The connection end for the cable is just sticking out past the edge of the charging base:
mqho.jpg

5. The Final Image: Completed and functional! Here we see everything hooked up, charging (this is fully charged at this point, but I charged it from yellow to green in about 30 minutes):
ql7z.jpg

I have been using this now for a few weeks as a charging method, and of course it gives me amazing freedom to charge anywhere I need to, and from what I can tell, it would provide 6-8 "red to green" charging sessions on a single full battery pack charge. This means you can take it camping, hiking, wherever, and not have to worry about running out of power. No need for a vehicle cig lighter socket, or an outlet.

You'll also note that the only molestation of any of the gear the arch you cut out of the back of the base. This means that when you're NOT using this mod, you can still use the device exactly as advertised, plugging in the charger to the adapter and charge in a traditional method,simply remove the barrel adapter from the charging base, plug in the stock adapter and go to it.

Another plus is that you can use the battery for many other uses! Charging your phone, your mp3 player, Kindle, etc. you make the $42 investment, and a bit of time for this modification, and not only do you get the external charging solution for your pax, but you can charge your other gadgets too!!

Amazon doesn't appear to have these3 Anker Astro batteries in stock at the moment, but I found a link to an identical battery pack, looks like Anker may have rebranded these. Here is a link to that battery pack, it's about $42 US (about what Ploom charges for a replacement base/adapter, or a 12v car adapter/base) This seems like better money spent if you're looking for a portable solution:

http://www.amazon.com/XTPower-10000mAh-Recorders-Sensation-Connectors/dp/B00935L44E

Well, I hope I helped some of my fellow Pax enthusiasts here regarding an external battery pack solu7tion. This has been working really well for me and I hope you find it a useful solution for your charging needs as well. also happy to answer any questions, and intend to particpate much more in the FC forums. I would LOVE to hear back from anyone this enlightened or who will proceed with doing this for their Pax.

Pax well my brothers and sisters!

G

Last edited:

BL4Z3D247

The name says it all.
2. Grind off some material of the appropriate barrel adapter so iit will lay flat once its in place. (an assortment of aadapter ends comes with the battery):
tlgt.jpg
I'm assuming this barrel adapter comes with the external battery?

BL4Z3D247,

Lucero1

Hey guys! New to FC, and vaporizers in general...so bear with me, please. :)

Long story short, I have cancer for the second time in 2 years. The first time was throat, this time it's lungs. Two years ago, MJ was the only thing that worked for my nausea, but I certainly don't want to smoke now that it has moved to my lungs, so I'm looking at the Pax as a small, easy way to medicate.

Honestly, prior to the first cancer bout, I had not smoked weed for probably 20 years, so I'm not as experienced as most of you

I tried to read this whole thread, but 400+ pages is overwhelming!

If y'all would indulge me a few questions, I'd be most appreciative...

1. Are there any real problems with this machine? Once I start chemo again, I need this thing to work.

2. Being a non-smoker, I'm concerned about the dryness of the vapor. Is there a fairly easy and inexpensive way to add something to moisten the vapor?

3. Is the Pax the best answer for me, or should I consider something else? I was originally looking at the Extreme Q, but decided that with kids at home a smaller stealthier unit would be better for my situation.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or help.

Lucero1,

unknownlegend

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your problems with cancer. Being on the treatment side of things I can tell you that if your starting chemotherapy the anti emetics you'll be receiving prior to the chemotherapy will be the most important drugs to help prevent nausea. Certainly MJ can offer further improvement but in my experience there is typically not a need for further therapy if your receiving effective anti emetics, which should include dexamethasone along with a 5HT-3 antagonist. If your still having problems with nausea certainly give MJ a try and a vaporizer like the Pax will certainly help to decrease the irritating effects on the lungs compared to smoking. I wish you good luck and success with your treatment.

unknownlegend,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom