Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowdjinni

Soooo. My Pax finally arrived in the mail on Friday. It's absolutely amazing! I used it 5 times before cleaning it. My friend said I should do it after every 3 to 4 times, but I wanted to test to see how much condensation would build before it was readily apparent that cleaning was required. While finally cleaning it today, I noticed that the screen is already turning a little dark (as if the metal has been heated too much and is almost burning). I want to buy a few extra packs of screens from Ploom's website.

A few questions:
1. Should I clean it every time I need to charge it? (Is that too often or too little?)
2. How often should I clean the screen itself?
3. When should I replace the screen with a new one? (I was thinking monthly.)
4. Are regular isopropyl alcohol wipes from a local drugstore as well as normal pipe-cleaners going to be the same as what's in the Pax cleaning kit?

Thanks.

Shadowdjinni,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
1. too often, I clean mine every 10-20 uses, depending on how gunked up it gets.
2. if you leave a pack half done in it the screen will turn much faster, my screen stays nice much longer by removing the oven pack when its toast. I clean my screen when I clean my pax.
3. You can whenever you want, but I use the same 3 in cycle that I originally had, always keeping one clean.
4. Some pipe cleaners are better than others, I bought some at the local gas station and they suck.
The screen and oven are easier to clean when hot, I turn my pax on a few moments then turn it off then take a wet qtip and scrub it around in there, gets a lot of the gunk off with ease.

Mr.Krinkle,
Reactions: francis

Shadowdjinni

1. too often, I clean mine every 10-20 uses, depending on how gunked up it gets.
2. if you leave a pack half done in it the screen will turn much faster, my screen stays nice much longer by removing the oven pack when its toast. I clean my screen when I clean my pax.
3. You can whenever you want, but I use the same 3 in cycle that I originally had, always keeping one clean.
4. Some pipe cleaners are better than others, I bought some at the local gas station and they suck.
The screen and oven are easier to clean when hot, I turn my pax on a few moments then turn it off then take a wet qtip and scrub it around in there, gets a lot of the gunk off with ease.

1. Really, after that many? The instructions said any condensation was bad and I noticed some after use #4.
2. I take out the product as soon as it's taste indicates it's done. I am noticing that it's coming out very dark brown, almost black. Maybe using it on Medium (then High to finish) heat is too much if constantly using?
3. My unit only came with 1 screen and no mouth lubricant. So I planned to buy more. I guess only 1 packet of 3 screens will be enough.
4. I have spare pipe cleaners already, was more just concerned with the alcohol wipes compared to whatever, seemingly special, solution they use in their namebrand wipies.

Shadowdjinni,

ILoveCollege

Yeah.. F* Combustion..
To your #2. Have you tried it on low?

I started the medium/high combo, but then I got used to the result that the low/medium combo gave me. It takes a bit, but the material never get coffee brown.

Others like it on high, but I am more for flavor over effect (kicking it to high doesn't do too much more for me compared to medium)

ILoveCollege,

TheCrusher

Analog Man / Digital World
I'm probably going to be the black sheep of the Pax thread but I've had one since 10/5/12 and from what I'm reading, I've abused it like a borrowed Cadillac. I run probably 1.5-2 grams a day with oil dabs and pressed hash on a regular basis. I do oil dabs by wiping them in the oven and spinning the Pax slowly, then doing a bowl to clean it and I run it at medium most of the time because I like the terpene profile I get off my smoke at that temperature. I've never lubed the mouth piece and I'm not fanatic about cleaning it.
Every couple of days, I take a long soft pipe cleaner and dip it in ISO, then squee-gee my fingers down the pipe cleaner to spread the ISO and get most of it off, the cleaner is just damp. I run that through 4-5 times, cut the last 3 inches off and do it again. A q-tip with most of the cotton pulled off fits in the mouth piece, dip it in ISO and swab it out. Let it dry and it's done. The "screen" is a heat dispersion grid and it's thin metal so one it gets hot it discolors. That's just aesthetics, I bought extra screens and never use them.
I don't know what to say, maybe I'm just the luckiest guy in the world but the only problem I ever had was not getting the pipe cleaner dry enough and flooded the unit with ISO causing the lights to go into spasm but once it dried, no problems. Not a stuck mouthpiece, not a problem with "the click", nothing. Oh, it still tastes great, no burnt flavors or bitterness.

Your mileage may vary but I think the Pax is a lot hardier than most people seem the think, maybe it's the price tag making them nervous but with the Mentos mod, I think it's a beast.

TheCrusher,
Reactions: 2 Paces

jeff

This forum is a bit of a skewed representation of pax owners. I know quite a few people that don't have any issues with their pax, me included.
And for all those that just bought one, BUY STEEL WOOL.
That stuff has been the most useful to scrub all things off the screen. I sandwiched a crumble between two layers of bud and it was a beautiful evening. It left a great deal of scum everywhere though. The steel wool took care of that completely. I just took a bit of it, wound it around a q-tip, put a bit of ISO on it and scrubbed away.
Also, there is a company out there called Zen (for pipe cleaners). I use the ones with bristles and they clean out the airpath very thoroughly.
I totally agree. Not sure what the fuss is about. I love the forum so nobody get too butt hurt here: the forum is filled with over sharing power users. Just look at all the I got a tracking number posts. That means if someone had a problem you hear about it. I'm guessing also forum users represent a tiny sample of total pax users. I've never had a problem, my two non forum member friends with Paxi have had no problem. The cleaning thing is overblown unless you use concentrates. You have to clean pipes and vapes , that is how it works.
Use a magic eraser (Melamine foam) instead unless you want all those metal shavings everywhere.
I didn't find the magic eraser that amazing. Though I still use it, not steel wool.

Shadowdjinni

To your #2. Have you tried it on low?

I started the medium/high combo, but then I got used to the result that the low/medium combo gave me. It takes a bit, but the material never get coffee brown.

Others like it on high, but I am more for flavor over effect (kicking it to high doesn't do too much more for me compared to medium)

I've now started doing Low until it tastes a bit off, turn off/loosen up the product, then turn it up to Medium. Rinse and repeat for High.

I am effect over both flavor and visible vapor produced preference wise.

Shadowdjinni,
Reactions: pakalolo

fogbank

You probably won't need to replace your screen until it stops working correctly.

My original screen no longer stays in place in the oven. As much as I try to get it to stay, it is easily moved by any pressure on either side of the screen. Also, even when I think I have it securely in place, when the oven heats I can hear the screen "pop" out of place, displacing the load in the oven. After several times removing and replacing the screen, it became misshapen to the point that it no longer stayed in place, and the Pax would not produce adequate vapor.

I bought new screens and placed one in the oven. It fit perfectly and stayed in place. The Pax worked like new again.

fogbank,

Shadowdjinni

You probably won't need to replace your screen until it stops working correctly.

My original screen no longer stays in place in the oven. As much as I try to get it to stay, it is easily moved by any pressure on either side of the screen. Also, even when I think I have it securely in place, when the oven heats I can hear the screen "pop" out of place, displacing the load in the oven. After several times removing and replacing the screen, it became misshapen to the point that it no longer stayed in place, and the Pax would not produce adequate vapor.

I bought new screens and placed one in the oven. It fit perfectly and stayed in place. The Pax worked like new again.

Cheers. I just want to do this as correctly as possible since this is the first time I've dropped any big amount on an extracurricular object.

Shadowdjinni,

brewer

Soooo. My Pax finally arrived in the mail on Friday. It's absolutely amazing! I used it 5 times before cleaning it. My friend said I should do it after every 3 to 4 times, but I wanted to test to see how much condensation would build before it was readily apparent that cleaning was required. While finally cleaning it today, I noticed that the screen is already turning a little dark (as if the metal has been heated too much and is almost burning). I want to buy a few extra packs of screens from Ploom's website.

A few questions:
1. Should I clean it every time I need to charge it? (Is that too often or too little?)
2. How often should I clean the screen itself?
4. Are regular isopropyl alcohol wipes from a local drugstore as well as normal pipe-cleaners going to be the same as what's in the Pax cleaning kit?

Thanks.

1) just clean when it starts getting sticky or taste is not too your liking, IME. About every few charges, depending. Use the lubricant too... I didn't for a while, but it makes a big difference.
2) Build up might effect taste, but no need to clean for function. It doesn't have holes.
3) never
4) yup

On sidenote, is anyone having issues with charging on his or her Pax? I sent two back and they fixed and got back to me in three days--which rocks. But curious if anyone had the same issue. Seems my contact points were not connecting well.

mod note: Please avoid back-to-back posts, use Edit instead. Two posts merged.

brewer,

brewer

I totally agree. Not sure what the fuss is about. I love the forum so nobody get too butt hurt here: the forum is filled with over sharing power users. Just look at all the I got a tracking number posts. That means if someone had a problem you hear about it. I'm guessing also forum users represent a tiny sample of total pax users. I've never had a problem, my two non forum member friends with Paxi have had no problem. The cleaning thing is overblown unless you use concentrates. You have to clean pipes and vapes , that is how it works.
I didn't find the magic eraser that amazing. Though I still use it, not steel wool.

Make sure to use stainless steel scrubby... not wool. As an analogy, the scrubby is like large linguini--like a steel shavings--and the steel wool is like angel hair spaghetti (super fine). Look around, you'll find it. And you don't have to sandwhich the material. Just place the stainless steel on top of material, then put the lid on. Pax vapes best like this.

Alternatively, buy the steel pads made for a "Plenty" vaporizer and trim to fit.

Hope that helps...

brewer,

Michael B.

I had been using 2 cut film canisters. however, at home depot, i found 1.125" diameter vinyl caps that work perfectly. while carrying the Pax, theres absolutely no smell. they are just for transport, and obviously must come off both ends before powering up.

http://imgur.com/fEujQuh

fEujQuh

cant upload the pic for some reason...

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
I had been using 2 cut film canisters. however, at home depot, i found 1.125" diameter vinyl caps that work perfectly. while carrying the Pax, theres absolutely no smell. they are just for transport, and obviously must come off both ends before powering up.

cant upload the pic for some reason...

those are dope, I want. nice find.

Mr.Krinkle,

EffedUp

I have new intermittent problem with my Pax. I searched this thread but couldn't find any mentions of this problem.

Sometimes when I try to turn on my Pax it blinks red a few times and turns off. I am pretty sure this is the out of battery signal. This has happened to me after taking the Pax off of the dock with a green light. Sometimes I try a few more times and it works. Other times I have to put it back on the charger for a little while. When ever I get it to work it shows the correct battery amount when I shake it.

So the basic problem seems to be that the battery sensor thinks the battery is dead sometimes when the battery is actually full or near full. I have contacted Ploom and am waiting for a response. I thought I would see if the forum could help me though.

EffedUp,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
I have new intermittent problem with my Pax. I searched this thread but couldn't find any mentions of this problem.

Sometimes when I try to turn on my Pax it blinks red a few times and turns off. I am pretty sure this is the out of battery signal. This has happened to me after taking the Pax off of the dock with a green light. Sometimes I try a few more times and it works. Other times I have to put it back on the charger for a little while. When ever I get it to work it shows the correct battery amount when I shake it.

So the basic problem seems to be that the battery sensor thinks the battery is dead sometimes when the battery is actually full or near full. I have contacted Ploom and am waiting for a response. I thought I would see if the forum could help me though.

I have seen this before but it wasnt persistent. That sort of problem, if persistent, should be fixed at the factory. I'd talk to ploom in the live chat if you are constantly having trouble.

Mr.Krinkle,

Shadowdjinni

1) just clean when it starts getting sticky or taste is not too your liking, IME. About every few charges, depending. Use the lubricant too... I didn't for a while, but it makes a big difference.
2) Build up might effect taste, but no need to clean for function. It doesn't have holes.
3) never
4) yup

On sidenote, is anyone having issues with charging on his or her Pax? I sent two back and they fixed and got back to me in three days--which rocks. But curious if anyone had the same issue. Seems my contact points were not connecting well

Thanks for the detailed reply. I was thinking of getting the mouth lube, since my unit that I bought didn't come with any for whatever reason. What exactly do I do with it; aka, where is it applied?

To your sidenote, no charging issues here... yet.

Shadowdjinni,

vape4health

Anyone else do the sideways mouthpiece trick, let me explain. I know everyone says just keep it clean but still I keep getting the temp light even with some added PG from my ecig mixing, it only seems to happen when the unit is cool but if I remove the mouthpiece and turn it to the side it heats up fine. I turn the mouthpiece out to the side then push in till it clips into place, let it hit green light then install as normal and get at it. Once it's to temp I get no problems, I really like the vape but why not use the white button or add another button to control on/off and do away with the problem.

vape4health,

Michael B.

Those look very cool. What are they actually used for, and where in Home Depot did you find them, as in what section?

they were in the furniture parts department. among the end caps to put on legs. most of them were rubber and not really good, but these were in there too. they aren't online, so it might be hit or miss...

brewer

I have seen this before but it wasnt persistent. That sort of problem, if persistent, should be fixed at the factory. I'd talk to ploom in the live chat if you are constantly having trouble.

try cleaning and then using the lube on the moving parts inside the mouthpiece... I think I had a similar problem, and that resolved the problem

brewer,

VaporsVaporizer

On the Stoop
Anyone else find the Pax lubrication packets messy and annoying to use? I had more on me than the mouthpiece but, i solved the problem. I took an old eye medication bottle , took the tip off and rinsed it out throughly and squeezed a few packets into the bottle. Now i just get one drop exactly where i need it.
13ztsv7.jpg

2qm450k.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom